View Full Version : Your opinion of the OKC Police Dept.

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
01-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the OKC PD. I called them several years ago when me and another guy had caught a man breaking into the house. We held the guy for 3 HOURS until the police finally showed up. Then, when they did show up, they just released him the next day, and we saw the guy out on the street committing the same crimes.
Seems like most cops are macho......I overheard a cop tell another guy awhile back that he loved being a cop because it was the "only job where he could get paid for beating the crap out of someone else." That's the wrong attitude, I think.

So, what is your opinion of the OKC PD?

The reason for this post? See below:

Well.........OK. Just a guess, but I bet that's a position you probably won't find too many supporting here. You don't have to love the OKCPD, or even deny there's corrupt cops on the street, to still believe that the department cares about whether a rapist is caught or not. In fact, I find your suggestion they don't care about such a heinous crime to be rather offensive. My point about city priorities obviously fell on deaf ears in your case, I meant it as a contrast in public responsibility -- which is on-topic. I'll stop responding to your inflammatory comments so we can get back to topic.

Pete
01-28-2008, 11:07 AM
I know a couple of OKCPD and I know they are good people trying to do a tough job.

I've never understood why police are paid what seems to be substantially less than firefighters, for example. Most municipalities have tons of applicants for firefighters but every city struggles to fill their police slots. And from my experience, that is largely due to the large discrepancy in compensation packages.

However, a 3-hour response time to a 911 call is completely unacceptable. If that had happened to me, I'd be contacting everyone from the mayor to the police chief and on down the line.

OU Adonis
01-28-2008, 11:44 AM
I have a really poor opinion of police in general, its not specific to the OKC police department however.

Kerry
01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
We held the guy for 3 HOURS until the police finally showed up. Then, when they did show up, they just released him the next day, and we saw the guy out on the street committing the same crimes.
Seems like most cops are macho......I overheard a cop tell another guy awhile back that he loved being a cop because it was the "only job where he could get paid for beating the crap out of someone else." That's the wrong attitude, I think.

You should have just beat the crap out of the bad guy yourself and eliminated the middle man. Seriously, don't lump the police in with the rest of our crappy judicial system that allows this stuff to take place. Half of all crime is committed by people on parole. Just imagine how much less crime there would be if we didn't let people out early.

FRISKY
01-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I have several good friends, numerous acquaintances and a couple family members that are on the OCPD. They are all good people, but I don’t respect their job.

Doug Loudenback
01-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I think that the Okc cops do a great job, a job that I'd sure as heck not want to be doing (nor, for that matter, would you want me to!). I given 'em good marks.

Patrick
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
In general, I think most of our cops are pretty good guys. It's probably the select few that ruin it for everyone else.

hipsterdoofus
01-28-2008, 07:50 PM
With a department the size of OKC, I'm sure you have some bad apples...but they do a job most can't and wouldn't do...(it doesn't usually involve beating people up).

Patrick
01-28-2008, 07:51 PM
it doesn't usually involve beating people up).

Unless you happen to be in view of Brian Bates' camera.

solitude
01-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Patrick, Why did you start this bad mouthing of the police department in the first place? I was only trying to point out that the OKCPD headquarters is getting a renovation instead of a brand new complex because of the expense. Yet, we are building a practice facility for the NBA with tax money? That was my point - a contrast in public responsibility and priorities. You then said.......

Sounds good to me. I have no use for the OKCPD.

Then, I posted....

I have had my beefs with some of the officers in the OKCPD, but.....

When you see a man milling about in your neighborhood whose picture you saw on the news the night before, (because he's wanted for multiple rapes), who are you going to call? The Sonics ticket office?

And again, Patrick, you wrote...

Would probably be more successful calling the Sonics ticket office than calling 911. Like the police really care anyways. They're too busy to mess with "neighorhood issues." The wanted rapist would probably be out the next day anyways.

Suggesting the cops don't care about rapes in our neighborhoods is outrageous. I'm glad you have come around to the "few bad apples," talk. But why did you come back here to OKCTalk and within a few threads already begin the old negativity without any context or reason? That was just an attack on all cops on the OKCPD from out of the blue!

And why start this thread? Which, as the old administrator of the forum, you know belongs in "OKC Underground" anyway.

hipsterdoofus
01-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Unless you happen to be in view of Brian Bates' camera.

I suppose...I've heard from someone that knew him that he's kind of a jerk himself...

Patrick
01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Patrick, Why did you start this bad mouthing of the police department in the first place?

I was asking people to give their opinions about the OKCPD. I simply stated mine. I thought all opinions were allowed here.

But why did you come back here to OKCTalk and within a few threads already begin the old negativity without any context or reason? That was just an attack on all cops on the OKCPD from out of the blue!
Again, I was stating my opinion, which I thought was what this forum was all about.

And why start this thread? Which, as the old administrator of the forum, you know belongs in "OKC Underground" anyway.

I guess I just thought a discussion of the local police force was an OKC Metro Area topic. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, mods, please feel free to move the thread.

solitude
01-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I was asking people to give their opinions about the OKCPD. I simply stated mine. I thought all opinions were allowed here.

Again, I was stating my opinion, which I thought was what this forum was all about.

Talk about the OKCPD involves the OKC Metro..... I don't seem to get your point. Mods, feel free to move the thread if you wish.

You're saying, "Who, me???? " The Patrick I have read in old posts, before your getting the boot, is definitely back.

Patrick
01-28-2008, 08:26 PM
You're saying, "Who, me???? " The Patrick I have read in old posts, before your getting the boot, is definitely back.

????

solitude
01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Forget it, Patrick.

Patrick
01-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Solitude, the beauty of the Internet is it allows everyone to have a voice. So let's both agree to end this with a truce, no hard feelings. OK?
I think we should stay on topic here. Feel free to send me a PM at anytime if you want to discuss the issue further!

Patrick
01-28-2008, 09:21 PM
I suppose...I've heard from someone that knew him that he's kind of a jerk himself...

In theory, his mission began with the right motives. But, unfortunately, it just all got to his head. That's just my opinion though.

That being said, the OKC PD has targeted him a lot in the past, but I noticed that's gone down since David Prater was elected.

Back to the OKC PD..... I would like to restate my point that most members of the OKC PD are good people. I've met some really nice cops. I guess it's just unfortunate that I've have a few bad incidents with them, and I shouldn't let that color my opinion of the whole force.

I do appreciate their service to our community though. I know it's a tough job, one I wouldn't want to do.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions relating to the OKC PD. I always enjoy reading differing opinions.

solitude
01-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Solitude, the beauty of the Internet is it allows everyone to have a voice. So let's both agree to end this with a truce, no hard feelings. OK?
I think we should stay on topic here. Feel free to send me a PM at anytime if you want to discuss the issue further!

You sound like you're still moderating the place. I was on-topic. You refused to accept any responsibility for your earlier comments attacking the OKCPD as a whole acting, (unsurprisingly) , like you didn't know what you had done.

edit: I'm glad to see you recognize, again, that it's a few bad apples. But what about those earlier inflammatory comments?
Saying the OKCPD doesn't care about rapes is beyond a simple opinion. You might consider a simple apology.

Patrick
01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
I just didn't want to get off topic down a road discussing past posts I may have made, which have nothing to do with this thread, or a discussion on why I took a 6 month hiatus from the forum at Pete's request. I'd be happy to discuss those issues in a PM if you wish, although the past is the past.

Concerning this topic, I accept responsiblity for the comments I've made on this thread. And those are my opinions. And as I said, the beauty of the Internet is it allows everyone to have a voice, whether you agree with it or not.

To summarize, the experiences I've had with the OKC PD in the past have not been positive, and they've led to my negative view of the OKC PD, plain and simple. But, I do believe at the same time that there are a lot of good officers, and I respect them for their service.

Anyways, we just hold different opinions on the topic. So, let's simply agree to disagree on the topic.

This will be my last post on the thread. If you'd like to discuss further, I'd be happy to reply via PM.

Take care. :)

solitude
01-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I just didn't want to get off topic down a road discussing past posts I may have made, which have nothing to do with this thread

Hey...hang on.....you posted that appalling comment about rapes in the Ford Center thread, Karried then asked that things get back-on-topic. Your last post was, "Maybe we should start a thread on the OKCPD." So that bit about "past posts that have nothing to do with this thread" is typical of your parsing of words and twisting things to where Patrick looks like he's done nothing wrong and Patrick is always the victim (not to mention always right.)

Couldn't let that trickery slide by without comment. I'm sure you'll be back with an excuse for that as well. Wow, sure glad you're back! :doh:

Patrick
01-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm not the one that brought up the rape issue to begin with:
http://www.okctalk.com/125351-post320.html

But, it's okay. I agree to disagree with you concerning the OKC PD.

Thanks for the welcome back. I've missed so many of you.

Doug Loudenback
01-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Solitude, imo, you need to take a deep breath and chill. Cheap shots are, well, cheap. Patrick, Solitude is right in that the post should probably have been made in another area of the forum. You're both good people, so ...

Patrick
01-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Patrick, Solitude is right in that the post should probably have been made in another area of the forum.

I concur. Mods, feel free to move the thread.

FritterGirl
01-28-2008, 11:24 PM
I agree with what many others have said that in general, our police force is really quite good, and I certainly admire the job they have to do.

I had an auto accident on the Hefner Parkway not too long ago, and the OCPD who came to the scene were as cordial and polite as possible, making sure I was ok every step of the way.

That being said, until about a year ago, an OCPD officer lived across the street from us. How happy we were to see that cop car in the driveway. Safety, security, etc., etc.

Then came the days off. And the loud parties. And the 8-cylinder Mustang revving up at all hours. And joining buddies for a little 3 a.m. "let's pop wheelies down the street on our brand new crotch rockets" sessions. And having friends over who would park in front of our house facing the wrong direction. And the rotating door of UCO co-eds coming to and fro at every hour of the day and night (Mr. Policeman had recently divorced from wife #1, and then subsequently broken off with hottie girlfriend/fiance).

Ya think we could have called the police on a noise complaint, or any other complaint for that matter? Ha!!!

Fortunately, Mr. Policeman found a girlfriend and they moved into her home since it could accommodate her 3 kids and his 1 child.

While I still miss the cop car, I certainly don't miss everything we had to deal with for that extra sense of security.

I don't want to say that this guy was a bad apple, but he certainly took advantage of his position, and I'm sure ego played into it. He was young, VERY well built, good lookin', and he had supposedly gotten quite a bit of money in the divorce, so he was spending it on every motorized toy (new trucks, orv, motorcycle, etc.) he could get his hand on.

PennyQuilts
01-29-2008, 04:28 AM
Police deal with the dregs of society, day in day out. It has got to have an effect to see cruddy parents, lying colleagues, spoiled narcissistic teenagers and scoundrels. Tough job. Some cops keep their dignity and humanity, some don't. A good cop is a wonderful thing. A bad one or one with a snotty attitude is sort of scary.

BailJumper
01-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Personally, i find cops a necessary evil. I've met a few that at least seemed to be okay. However, I knew two that put up a great act and both were married with girlfriends on the side. You'd see them as Grahams literally kissing "the other woman" knowing they'd never get caught because of the childish "brotherhood" crap. One even got a divorce after choking his wife. She refused to cooperate in charges and they just swept it under the rug.

Speaking of Bates, another cop that seems to be taking a page out of Bates' play book arrested a dentist friend of ours last week. This cop, who apparently had nothing better to do, was parked across from Henry Hudson's. When he saw this dentist get into his $70K car with a woman about midnight. He watched them and when the woman and dentist decided to get a little orally friendly the cop lit them up with his lights. Okay, fine, fine, no drunk oral sex in a bar parking lot - lord knows that never happens. But, the cop didn't stop there, he actually arrested both of them and had his car towed. 8 hours in jail, bond, embarrassment and $$$ for a couple getting it on. Don't tell me that wasn't some jerk cop just pissed that some rich guy was having fun with some hot chick.

Another thing that really chaps my hide is that there have been 5 break-in since Christmas on our street. We've begged and pleaded for more patrols and the neighbors have yet to see anyone. We were told the department is stretched too thin. Well, unless you're making out in a bar parking lot - they can make time for that. Every time the cops have shown up they act like "so, what do you want me to do? That's what insurance is for." Personally, I wouldn't let one sit at my dinner table.

kmf563
01-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Some people suck and some are really cool. Last time I checked, cops were still people. So I guess with a reaonable amount of common sense and deduction....some are going to suck and some are going to be really cool.

OU Adonis
01-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Personally, i find cops a necessary evil. I've met a few that at least seemed to be okay. However, I knew two that put up a great act and both were married with girlfriends on the side. You'd see them as Grahams literally kissing "the other woman" knowing they'd never get caught because of the childish "brotherhood" crap. One even got a divorce after choking his wife. She refused to cooperate in charges and they just swept it under the rug.

Speaking of Bates, another cop that seems to be taking a page out of Bates' play book arrested a dentist friend of ours last week. This cop, who apparently had nothing better to do, was parked across from Henry Hudson's. When he saw this dentist get into his $70K car with a woman about midnight. He watched them and when the woman and dentist decided to get a little orally friendly the cop lit them up with his lights. Okay, fine, fine, no drunk oral sex in a bar parking lot - lord knows that never happens. But, the cop didn't stop there, he actually arrested both of them and had his car towed. 8 hours in jail, bond, embarrassment and $$$ for a couple getting it on. Don't tell me that wasn't some jerk cop just pissed that some rich guy was having fun with some hot chick.

Another thing that really chaps my hide is that there have been 5 break-in since Christmas on our street. We've begged and pleaded for more patrols and the neighbors have yet to see anyone. We were told the department is stretched too thin. Well, unless you're making out in a bar parking lot - they can make time for that. Every time the cops have shown up they act like "so, what do you want me to do? That's what insurance is for." Personally, I wouldn't let one sit at my dinner table.

This wasn't the Henry Hudsons on Northwest expressway was it?

Pete
01-29-2008, 09:45 AM
There is an inherent problem with cops: Way too much power in the hands of individuals.

And unfortunately, some are attracted to that position because of the power trip and that always leads to bad things.

On the other hand, there is no easy solution to this problem. And frankly, if it was me with my life on the line every day I know it would be hard to always make the right decision in a split-second, as is so often the case.

I've always thought they should find a way to separate the traffic cops (perhaps not even call them police) from the other guys because anyone who has ever received a ticket ends up having a lot of disdain for law enforcement. Their profession really should be held in much higher regard than firefighting (IMO) yet the opposite is true and I think it's because we've all had personal brushes with a-hole cops that love to lord their power over you in a traffic situation. Otherwise, I can honestly say I've never had any other interaction with police.

Karried
01-29-2008, 09:56 AM
I can't really add anything because now that I think about this issue, I've never met a cop in all the 5 years I've lived in OK.

That's probably a good thing.

I do know one relative who is a power tripping macho man who never should have gotten a badge.

But the other one is really cool and commited to his job as an officer.

So, yes, it all depends on the person doing the job as with anything. They just need serious checks and balances.

BailJumper
01-29-2008, 09:59 AM
This wasn't the Henry Hudsons on Northwest expressway was it?

Not sure. I didn't ask.

OU Adonis
01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Not sure. I didn't ask.

The reason I asked is because about a month ago a cop pulled me over after leaving there.

I had two beers. I know that sounds like a typical answer but it was actually the truth in this situation.

I roll down my window and the first thing he said was. Why do I smell marijuana? I said "I don't smoke". He says "My nose never lies".

I experimented with dope maybe 3 or 4 times and that was maybe 15 years ago. Here I was dumbfounded.

I said "Just search my car". They did. They asked me where I had been. I said Hudsons. They gave me a drunk test then let me go.

I was so pissed about it later. They were just using it as an excuse to search my car.

Chefdavies
01-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Imo, the okc police are okay. Now the edmond police seem to have nothing to do better than to pull you over. I live in edmond and I hate driving around for the fear of "not signaling throught the entire intersection." (which i was pulled over for). People never really notice the good police. I try to respect the police and I ask the them same of them. I have, hmmm how to put this, was kinda a friend, and is on the yukon police dept. Probably have heard of him, the cop that chased down the guy and beat the hell out of him in the xexox (spellin) factory. We always had to hear him talk about how much fun and thrilling it was to "take down" ppl, or to mess with them. Oh well, he is a bad apple. Not really sure where I'm going with this, other than Police for the most part are good ppl. Usually these posts come up when someone feels they have been "wronged by the man."

FRISKY
01-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I roll down my window and the first thing he said was. Why do I smell marijuana? I said "I don't smoke". He says "My nose never lies".Apparently both the officer and his nose lie…

That probably wouldn’t be a good time to respond to his question with; “The same reason I smell bacon and doughnuts.” or “The same reason I smell B--- S---.” ;)

kmf563
01-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Apparently both the officer and his nose lie…

That probably wouldn’t be a good time to respond to his question with; “The same reason I smell bacon and doughnuts.” or “The same reason I smell B--- S---.” ;)

lmao! I was going to say the same thing. Or "gee, i don't know...did you just smoke a bowl?" or "cravings much?"

I had a cop pull me over leaving that hudsons and it was on my birthday a year ago! He made me do a drunk test and gave me so much crap. But...I gave it back and he finally broke and laughed and said he was just giving me crap because he noticed it was my birthday. He was really funny and incredibly nice. I don't know if I actually passed that test or not ( it WAS my birthday ) but he let me go. Thank you kind sir. :tiphat:

Lauri101
01-29-2008, 03:28 PM
kmf said the words before I did - some suck and some are cool, just like people in general.

As the mother of a cop, I admit to a bit of bias, however, I NEVER think that trying to stereotype people based on their profession is the wisest thing to do.

Being an IRS agent is much the same thing. We have "jack-booted thugs" (very few anymore) and we have everyday folks who are just doing the job they are hired to do.

Law enforcement careers are almost always underpaid, undervalued and overworked.

And, as far as bailjumper's friend - wouldn't you think a dentist would be more cautious of places for oral pleasures? Geez - you could chip a tooth on the gear shift! :omg:

Karried
01-29-2008, 04:36 PM
And, as far as bailjumper's friend - wouldn't you think a dentist would be more cautious of places for oral pleasures? Geez - you could chip a tooth on the gear shift!

omg - Serious LOL!

andy157
01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
I know a couple of OKCPD and I know they are good people trying to do a tough job.

I've never understood why police are paid what seems to be substantially less than firefighters, for example. Most municipalities have tons of applicants for firefighters but every city struggles to fill their police slots. And from my experience, that is largely due to the large discrepancy in compensation packages.

However, a 3-hour response time to a 911 call is completely unacceptable. If that had happened to me, I'd be contacting everyone from the mayor to the police chief and on down the line.I know hundreds, yes hundreds of OCPD officers, and 99.9% of them are VERY GOOD PEOPLE doing a VERY TOUGH JOB.

While it's true, and it does appear that many more people apply to become OCFD Firefighters, than do OCPD Officers, there are reasons for this. The OCPD has an ongoing application/hiring process. They have a recruit school going almost year round. Whereas the OCFD only has a hiring process and recruit school every 18 to 24 months.

With all due respect, I don't know from where you obtained your experience. But in the City of OKC, regarding base pay, Police Officers are NOT paid substantially less than it's Firefighters. Though not by a lot, if you compare the rank for rank base pay Firefighters are paid less. And the starting pay for a Police Officer is over $4,000.00 per year more than a Fighter.For the most part the the overall compensation packages are similar. I assure you there is not a large discrepency in benefits in favor of the Firefighters.

Midtowner
01-31-2008, 08:44 AM
The reason I asked is because about a month ago a cop pulled me over after leaving there.

I had two beers. I know that sounds like a typical answer but it was actually the truth in this situation.

I roll down my window and the first thing he said was. Why do I smell marijuana? I said "I don't smoke". He says "My nose never lies".

I experimented with dope maybe 3 or 4 times and that was maybe 15 years ago. Here I was dumbfounded.

I said "Just search my car". They did. They asked me where I had been. I said Hudsons. They gave me a drunk test then let me go.

I was so pissed about it later. They were just using it as an excuse to search my car.

That was actually a pretty good ploy on the cop's part to get consent to search.

Midtowner
01-31-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't know too many police officers. I do have a very good friend who has served now for a few years (3-4?)... I'm going to take him up on his ride-along offer one of these days. He's one of the best people I know.

I've never had a bad experience with a police officer. Not really.

Back in the late 90's, I played in a band which had a regular gig in Bricktown. We were packing up at about 2 o'clock in the morning. There was a cop at the bar (I think he was drinking). He was trying to pick up some girl... I heard the guy say something about "I like to shoot first and ask questions later..." or something like that. He wasn't joking, he was, I think, trying to impress this girl.. but still, a fine ambassador for the city he made.

There are good cops and bad cops.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-31-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't know too many police officers. I do have a very good friend who has served now for a few years (3-4?)... I'm going to take him up on his ride-along offer one of these days. He's one of the best people I know.

I've never had a bad experience with a police officer. Not really.

Back in the late 90's, I played in a band which had a regular gig in Bricktown. We were packing up at about 2 o'clock in the morning. There was a cop at the bar (I think he was drinking). He was trying to pick up some girl... I heard the guy say something about "I like to shoot first and ask questions later..." or something like that. He wasn't joking, he was, I think, trying to impress this girl.. but still, a fine ambassador for the city he made.

There are good cops and bad cops.

I'd like to hear your take on how unconstitutional a lot of the DUI process is. Like lack of trial by jury, illegal search (sobriety checkpoints/roadblocks, etc), and a host of other things that my simple mind can pick out. I don't drink and drive, but I'm pretty sick of getting held up and harassed for my papers when all I'm trying to do is go to a friends house.

bandnerd
01-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Bad cops, bad doctors, bad lawyers, bad teachers...

There are bad people in all professions. Or maybe, they aren't necessarily bad people, but with the power they have they become worse?

Perhaps my fevered mind is rambling. I've only been pulled over one time, and I wasn't doing anything exceptionally stupid. But it was an Edmond cop. And I'm sure he knew I was a college kid, and he just wanted to mess with me.

"You took off a little fast from that light, there." Um, is that illegal? Telling me I was speeding without actually clocking me doesn't seem like it'd be okay, either, buddy-boy.

But most of the time, when I run into cops in places, they seem all right.

Midtowner
01-31-2008, 09:42 AM
I'd like to hear your take on how unconstitutional a lot of the DUI process is. Like lack of trial by jury, illegal search (sobriety checkpoints/roadblocks, etc), and a host of other things that my simple mind can pick out. I don't drink and drive, but I'm pretty sick of getting held up and harassed for my papers when all I'm trying to do is go to a friends house.

Lack of Trial by Jury

It used to be the case that the Sixth Amendment guaranteed you the right to trial by jury for all criminal acts. Jury trials were thought to be fundamental to the criminal process, but 40 years ago, that changed.

In Duncan v. Louisiana, 391 U.S. 145 (1968), the Defendant was convicted of simple battery, a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum of two years' imprisonment and a $300 fine. He was only sentenced to serve 60 days and pay $150.

The court held "[t]hat there is a category of petty crimes or offenses which is not subject to Sixth Amendment jury trial provision and should not be subject to Fourteenth Amendment jury trial requirement applied to the states; crimes carrying possible penalties up to six months do not require jury trial if they otherwise qualify as petty offenses. Id. at 159 (emphasis added).

So ended your right to a jury trial for "petty" offenses as the court called it. You only get a jury trial now for "serious" offenses. "Serious," according to Mr. Justice White means anything with a penalty of greater than 6 months.

At any rate, since you are eligible for 1 year in jail if convicted of a DUI in Oklahoma, I'd say that makes you eligible for a jury trial. I started this section under the impression that there was no jury trial allowed, but upon reading the statute, you are eligible for between 10 days (minimum) and 1 year (max) for your first DUI (among other things).

In reality, few, if any people are going to opt for a jury trial when they're facing 1 year in the clink. Generally, the D.A. will offer something palatable, most defendants will take the deal and move on with their mandatory AA meetings, victim impact panels, a few weekends in a private lockup facility watching TV and eating pizza, etc.

Sobriety Checkpoints

Completely legal, held so by the Supreme Court. There's a case.. just trust me on that. It's an "administrative search," and it's in the same class as airport bag checks, etc.

Technically speaking, it's not a "search" for the purposes of the fourth amendment.

Disclaimer: I am a law student, not a lawyer, nothing I say should be taken to be legal advice. You want legal advice? Fine. There are quite a few real lawyers who can give you that. This is just my own dumb opinion -- and you never know, it could just be a dumb opinion. I make no guarantees as to me telling the truth, or even knowing what I'm talking about.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I've gotten a ticket for "excessive acceleration" before.

That's when you take off about 3 times as fast as the other cars, but never break the speed limit.

I also got one for "breaking traction", which is evidently what you get when you spin the tires a bit (not a full on burnout, that's "reckless driving") when taking off.

I've rarely gotten a ticket I didn't deserve, but those two tied for the second place slot on ones that I didn't think should have gotten. Number one was a ticket for improper equipment (busted tail light) as I drove off from an accident where I'd been rear ended.

Karried
01-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Number one was a ticket for improper equipment (busted tail light) as I drove off from an accident where I'd been rear ended.

Now that is just wrong.

OU Adonis
01-31-2008, 09:53 AM
I lost a sister to the cops so I am going to bow out of this thread before I say something I really regret.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Now that is just wrong.

Different cop, but I was showing him the stuff that the other cop had given me (and he radioed the other cop) after getting bumped into...And he still wrote the ticket. I got out of it, but it was a PITA to take before the judge.

Karried
01-31-2008, 09:57 AM
I lost a sister to the cops so I am going to bow out of this thread before I say something I really regret.

I'm sorry to hear that.

jsenter
01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Some police officers are good people. We had a very hard working OKC Police Officer at one of the schools I worked at a few years ago,
At the same time, I've run across some pretty racist officers. I've overheard several police officers talk about how their primary targets were black men, and how they gave special treatment to white people they had in custody. As a black man, that angers me.

Midtowner
01-31-2008, 12:50 PM
As a black man, that angers me.

As any kind of a man (or woman) that should anger you.

That's really terrible.

Redskin 70
02-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Spent 25 years in black and white here in the metro.
I knew some darn good cops and I knew a few slugs.
Most are good honest family men who do a hard job the rest of society would prefer not to.
The job raised my three kids, kept a roof over their head and helped to get them through college.
I have no regrets and I do thank the citizens of Oklahoma City for the well being of my family.
:tiphat:

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Considering the fact that I got a ticket for going 6 mph over the posted limit two nights ago...The OKCPD is officially off my "gets the GOOD fruitcake" list this year. $161 for going 6 over?

*pees on ticket*

andy157
02-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Considering the fact that I got a ticket for going 6 mph over the posted limit two nights ago...The OKCPD is officially off my "gets the GOOD fruitcake" list this year. $161 for going 6 over?

*pees on ticket*If your so upset about the $161 for going 6 over(not that you shouldn't be)(I would be to) it's not the Cops fault. He does not establish the cost for speeding fines. The City Manager determines what the fine amounts should be, and the City Council approves those cost.

Martin
02-15-2008, 09:44 AM
^^^
uh... but seems to me that the officer would have personally made the call to issue a ticket for doing six over instead of giving a warning, which (to me) would have been more appropriate.

andy157
02-15-2008, 10:04 AM
^^^
uh... but seems to me that the officer would have personally made the call to issue a ticket for doing six over instead of giving a warning, which (to me) would have been more appropriate.Maybe he hadn't met his quota. Maybe he'd been reading some of the resent "Your Views" sent in by citizens bashing the OCPD for not enforcing the traffic laws in the City of OKC. Who knows.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
It was in the middle of nowhere on a 4 lane road at 11 at night. No other cars on the road. I pulled over as soon as the cop pulled out after me and before the red and blues came on. I shut my engine off, turned my interior light on, and had my license/insurance out with my hands on the wheel when approached. I was very friendly and polite as well.

I couldn't have been a more easy stop and still got a ticket.

I'm not that upset up the ticket/money. But $161 for that small of an infraction? That's retarded.

andy157
02-15-2008, 10:39 AM
It was in the middle of nowhere on a 4 lane road at 11 at night. No other cars on the road. I pulled over as soon as the cop pulled out after me and before the red and blues came on. I shut my engine off, turned my interior light on, and had my license/insurance out with my hands on the wheel when approached. I was very friendly and polite as well.

I couldn't have been a more easy stop and still got a ticket.

I'm not that upset up the ticket/money. But $161 for that small of an infraction? That's retarded.I agree. I'm on your side. The first point I was attempting to make was that the Cops don't establish the cost of the fines. My second point was, there are many people out there putting lots of pressure on the P.D. for not doing their job.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Oh I get it. I wasn't arguing with you...I'm just venting :)

Probably didn't help that I was driving a fast vehicle. :D

Redskin 70
02-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Im sorry to undermine a common myth about ticket quotas but they really can write as many as they want:bright_id

kevinpate
02-16-2008, 05:04 AM
as we have good teachers and bad, good bankers and bad, good doctors and bad, good waitstaff and bad, etc., etc., tis no surprise that some law enforement folks are Andy Taylors and some fail the does not play well with others test.

I've been fortunate to rarely ever meet a member of the does not play well crew in the towns and cities where I have lived.

As for ticket amounts, it's all about the revenue baby, any potential deterrent effect is just an afterthought, mere icing on an ice cream cake.