View Full Version : Relocating from Louisiana - Apartment Suggestions

bsdubois00
01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I am relocating for work to OKC area and am looking for some good apartment suggestions. I am not familiar with the area much at all. Thanks in advance
Brandon

Patrick
01-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Are you looking more for urban living, like downtown, or suburban living?

bsdubois00
01-26-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm looking for alittle bit of everything - I'm looking to pay up to 800 / month rent - I'm mid 20's and single so looking for someplace with people my age and things to do close.

Thanks again
Brandon

brianinok
01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
And what is your price range? Are you looking for Class A, Class B, etc.?

betts
01-27-2008, 07:25 AM
I don't know what the prices for a one bedroom are, but I do know there are a lot of people in your age group living in Deep Deuce downtown. In what part of Oklahoma City will you be working?

John
01-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I'd suggest Stoneleigh on May, Deep Deuce, or any of the Legacy properties, depending on where you will be working.

Stoneleigh On May Apartments for Rent in Oklahoma City (http://www.stoneleighmay.com)

Deep Deuce (http://www.deepdeuce.com)

Legacy Communities (http://www.legacycommunities.com)

DVDFreaker
01-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I would NOT reccomend living at Deep Deuce, one of my friends live there and they have very bad ant problems, gate to get in doesn't work, and if there is mail, you will have to know when it is delivered or it will be in the mailbox for months and somebody can steal it and they will NOT nofity you when your letters or package arrived, my friend can't wait until his lease is up and move out of Deep Deuce.

wsucougz
01-27-2008, 03:46 PM
I would recommend renting a unit in a small multifamily(duplex/triplex) or house. You can get more for your money, and might even be able to negotiate a price.

Check out: Oklahoma Gazette: Oklahoma City classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (http://okgfree.com/) and craigslist.

brianinok
01-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I would NOT reccomend living at Deep Deuce, one of my friends live there and they have very bad ant problems, gate to get in doesn't work, and if there is mail, you will have to know when it is delivered or it will be in the mailbox for months and somebody can steal it and they will NOT nofity you when your letters or package arrived, my friend can't wait until his lease is up and move out of Deep Deuce.I don't know what you are talking about. I lived there for 2 years and it was great! I had no ant problems and noone in my building did. Of course, ant problems can occur from uncleanliness, not to mention the fact that the vast majority of homes in OKC have to be treated for ants annually anyway; this is not a big deal. And as for mail, the mailboxes are just like any other complex-- locked and have you to use your key to get your mail. I don't know why anyone would wait months between checking mail anyway since people get mail daily. So, bsd, don't let one second-hand bad review of Deep Deuce scare you away from it. I've lived in 6 different apartments in 5 different complexes in 4 cities, and worked for a company that owns apartments, and I highly recommend Deep Deuce.

Tex
01-27-2008, 04:11 PM
may i suggest looking at this site when comparing some of your choices?

Oklahoma City Apartments for Rent with Ratings & Reviews by Oklahoma City Renters at ApartmentRatings.com (http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/OK-Oklahoma-City.html)

DVDFreaker
01-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't know what you are talking about. I lived there for 2 years and it was great! I had no ant problems and noone in my building did. Of course, ant problems can occur from uncleanliness, not to mention the fact that the vast majority of homes in OKC have to be treated for ants annually anyway; this is not a big deal. And as for mail, the mailboxes are just like any other complex-- locked and have you to use your key to get your mail. I don't know why anyone would wait months between checking mail anyway since people get mail daily. So, bsd, don't let one second-hand bad review of Deep Deuce scare you away from it. I've lived in 6 different apartments in 5 different complexes in 4 cities, and worked for a company that owns apartments, and I highly recommend Deep Deuce.

Hmm, really? It must improved but I'll take your word for it though

venture
01-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Honestly we all can throw suggestions around about where to live, but it all depends on where he is working and how far he wants to drive.

FritterGirl
01-27-2008, 04:45 PM
I agree with Venture. I think until Brandon can tell us a bit more about himself, it's hard to make suggestions.

The only thing we know is that he is in his mid-20's and wants to be around a place where there is lots to do. Deep Deuce, thus far, sounds pretty good. Other places also might work.

It might help if we knew the following from Brandon:

- Does he prefer an "urban/downtown" style living environment - or does he prefer something more suburban?
- Will he have a vehicle? Does he want a garage for the vehicle?
- Where will he be working or going to school? Near downtown? Near UCO? OCU?, etc.?
- Does he mind commuting to work, or does he want to be close to his workplace?
- Does he mind driving quite a ways to the grocery store, or does he want this type of amenity close by?
- Does he want to live near a fun, neighborhood bar, or on a golf course?

There are also practical considerations such as square footage he would like, if he would like a garage, and whether he would prefer a washer/dryer inside his unit, or choose to venture to a laundra-mat for his washing?

Just a few minor pesky things.

Patrick
01-27-2008, 05:21 PM
- Does he prefer an "urban/downtown" style living environment - or does he prefer something more suburban?
- Will he have a vehicle? Does he want a garage for the vehicle?
- Where will he be working or going to school? Near downtown? Near UCO? OCU?, etc.?
- Does he mind commuting to work, or does he want to be close to his workplace?
- Does he mind driving quite a ways to the grocery store, or does he want this type of amenity close by?
- Does he want to live near a fun, neighborhood bar, or on a golf course?

Exactly. Until he provides this information, it's hard to make suggestions.

bsdubois00
01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
I am a Technical Rep for a major oil company, while my office will be on East reno - I will spend most of my days on the road visiting customers, so therefore I dont have to be right next to the office. I'm looking for someplace that will be convient to shopping (grocery) as well as someplace that has alot of people my age ( not a family apartment full of kids) I do like going out on the weekend and this is a plus also - Id really like a big 1 bedroom or a small / medium 2 bedroom at a max rent of 800 per month. Its just me no wife, no kids, no pets. I saw a couple apartments that look good in the N.W. section of town - Prairie Springs and Crown Point just not sure as far as the age of the other tennants. I hope yall can be of great help. Thanks again for all the responses already.

Regards
Brandon

metro
01-28-2008, 09:31 AM
I honestly think Deep Deuce, Park Harvey or Legacy at Arts Central would be the best for what you're looking for. Somewhat close to your office, close to groceries and shopping, plus they are in the heart of downtown so there is plenty to do and lots of like-minded young people nearby.

Patrick
01-28-2008, 10:36 AM
If you're looking for somewhere near downtown:

Legacy at Arts Quarter
Deep Deuce
Park Harvey

If you're looking for suburban:
Prarie Springs
Crown Pointe
The Warrington
Summit Condominiums
Quail Springs Condominiums
Stonleigh on May
Crown Martin Park
Memorial Park

FritterGirl
01-28-2008, 11:59 AM
If you're looking for somewhere near downtown:

Legacy at Arts Central
Deep Deuce
Park Harvey

Legacy at Arts Quarter: Suburban-style apartments in downtown OKC. They have a nice offering of retail on the first floor, including a hair salon, dry cleaners, workout gym, and others. One block away from from the City's major performing arts venue (ballet, symphony, broadway shows, etc.), and the OKC Museum of Art, which in the summer has roof cocktails each Thursday. The museum also boasts the U.S. largest collection of Chihuly blown glass, a nice restaurant and movie theatre that shows art-house/indy films and documentaries.

Legacy Arts is also about 7 blocks away from Midtown, where there is a variety of neat restaurants, pubs (coming soon), 2 bakeries, and a YMCA (also coming soon). About 7 blocks away in another direction is Bricktown. Also very close proximity to downtown's Central Business District.

Park Harvey: High-rise apartments in an old, converted office building in the heart of downtown's Central Business District. Walking distance to museum, library, performing arts facilities, major events venue, convention center, Myriad Botanical Gardens and Bricktown.

Deep Deuce:Walking distance to Bricktown with all of its nightlife - restaurants, clubs, multi-theatre cineplex, bowling, Starbucks, baseball stadium, etc. Longer walking distance to Central Business District and museum, but still doable. Certainly biking or scooter distance from Midtown area.

About 3 miles from closest grocery store (small Homeland). About 7 miles to closest Target, and about 7 miles to closest Wal-Mart Super Center. Also about 7 miles from a major shopping mall (Penn Square).

If you're looking for suburban:
Prarie Springs
Crown Pointe
The Warrington
Summit Condominiums
Quail Springs Condominiums
Stonleigh on May
Crown Martin Park
Memorial Park

I'm not familiar with all of these other than Quail Springs Condominiums, Stonleigh on May, Crown Martin Park and Memorial Park. All are "suburban." Some feature garages. Close to the City's northern "restaurant row," a Super Target, a Super Wal-Mart, a Sam's, a Lowe's, a Barnes & Noble, and scads of other retail and service establishments, plus a large, major shopping mall (Quail Springs) with multi-theatre cineplex, a Dillards, Sears, JC Penney and Macy's.

Crown Martin Park looks over Martin Park Nature Center, the City's largest wildlife preserve and park. You can go walk in there (its free), get your excercise in a natural woodland setting.

I would avoid anything that lists its address on "Featherstone" or 122nd street."

Patrick
01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I would avoid anything that lists its address on "Featherstone" or 122nd street."

Absolutely. Avoid anything east of May Ave. between 122nd and Memorial Rd.

Here's a list of places that may look nice, but I'd avoid:
Raindance (122nd and Penn)
Lincoln Greens (122nd and Penn)
Grouse Run (122nd and Penn)
The Highlands (Penn between 122nd and Memorial Rd.)....although the new mangement has improved these, they've still gone down over the years....lots of crime!
Quail Ridge (Featherstone....east of May Ave. off Memorial Rd)...iffy.....if you need a cheap place, you might look at these, but they wouldn't top my list
Quail Lakes (by Super Target on Penn)
Heritage Park (122nd and Penn......east of Penn)....AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
Quail Run (west of May on th south side of Memorial)....these are iffy....I might consider them if you really need a cheap place.

Really, the corridor up by Memorial and MacArthur is pretty nice. Crown Pointe, The Warrington, The Gables, Crown Martin Park, Memorial Park, etc. Also, Deer Creek Condos across from Lakeside Assembly of God Church, on 122nd between Rockwell and MacArthur aren't bad.
Avoid the complex at 122nd and Rockwell (northwest corner)...it's mostly a Section 8 community.
I'd avoid Pinehurst at 122nd and MacArthur (northwest corner). I'd avoid The Augusta and the Invitational at 122nd and Hefner Parkway....they used to be nice, but I think the new John Marshall High School has really put a dent in them.

Patrick
01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Oh, if you like golf, you might try The Links. I think they're off 122nd east of Broadway Extn. The entire apartment community is built around a 9 hole golf course....they're still not bad.

jbrown84
01-28-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm looking for alittle bit of everything - I'm looking to pay up to 800 / month rent - I'm mid 20's and single so looking for someplace with people my age and things to do close.

Thanks again
Brandon

For that price range, you can get a really nice Grand Studio or 1 Bedroom in the Park Harvey downtown. I live there, and it's mostly young singles and couples. It's almost a "dorm" feel. The location is great for night life and entertainment and is central to the whole metro. The staff is great--for example, the other day the leasing manager held the elevator for me as I was coming in, and when I got there, she had already pushed the correct floor number for me.

The downside is that a good grocery store is 5-10 away on 23rd street (I don't know if you consider that far or not). There's one a little closer that is just decent (small and older).

Home | Park Harvey (http://www.theparkharvey.com)

bsdubois00
01-28-2008, 01:26 PM
I really need a Washer and Dyer in unit or atleast conections as I already own a W/D - I am looking hard at Prairie Springs and Crown Pointe - I think both owned by the same company - anybody have any info about these complexes - i konw they are alil out of the bricktown area but i have just had a hard time finding with i need in that area.
Thanks in advance again
brandon

Midtowner
01-28-2008, 02:47 PM
For that price range, you can get a really nice Grand Studio or 1 Bedroom in the Park Harvey downtown. I live there, and it's mostly young singles and couples. It's almost a "dorm" feel. The location is great for night life and entertainment and is central to the whole metro. The staff is great--for example, the other day the leasing manager held the elevator for me as I was coming in, and when I got there, she had already pushed the correct floor number for me.

The downside is that a good grocery store is 5-10 away on 23rd street (I don't know if you consider that far or not). There's one a little closer that is just decent (small and older).

Home | Park Harvey (http://www.theparkharvey.com)

Also, you have to pay extra for parking (which is like 1.5 blocks away) and if you want to wash your clothes, you're going to have to use the coin-op laundromat (which I guess might not be a bad thing if you're single).

Patrick
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I really need a Washer and Dyer in unit or atleast conections as I already own a W/D - I am looking hard at Prairie Springs and Crown Pointe - I think both owned by the same company - anybody have any info about these complexes - i konw they are alil out of the bricktown area but i have just had a hard time finding with i need in that area.
Thanks in advance again
brandon

My wife and I looked at both Prairie Springs and Crown Pointe when we were looking a few years back. Both are newer and are really nice apartments. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one. They're actually pretty similar. I guess the only downside we saw with Crown Point was that they only have one entrance, and it's a little long from the main entrance to the back of the complex, if you live back in the back....of course that does make it quiet though. Mostly young couples and singles live in both apartments. Since they're fairly new complexes they're in pretty nice shape, and are charging top dollar to keep good clients.

They both are in established neighborhoods, and have grocery stores nearby.....Wal-Mart SuperCenter at NW Expressway and Council Rd. (which is a little closer to Prairie Springs), Crest at Hefner and Rockwell, and Wal-Mart neighborhood market at Hefner and Rockwell. There's also a Williams Foodstore over at 122nd and Rockwell.

By the way, both complexes are about a 20-25 minute drive to downtown.

Both complexes also have W/D connections.

We actually live in the Summit Condominiums on May Ave. between Hefner and 122nd. We have the same clientale here. Prices are a bit cheaper, and half the units are owned, which is a good thing. I think you can get a 1 bedroom for around $475 here. I'm paying $615 for a 2 bedroom. It's a little closer to downtown than the other two mentioned, although still a 20 minute drive. Also, the complex provides washer and dryer in every unit.

OKCGRL99
01-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks in advance again
brandon

My husband and I lived in Prairie Springs for 2.5 years and never had complaint. Maintenance was on the ball, the office was friendly and the apartments were very nice. The have w/d hookups and laundry rooms are a good size. The location is great in my opinion. There's plenty of shopping/dining near by.

jbrown84
01-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Also, you have to pay extra for parking (which is like 1.5 blocks away)

I don't know anyone in the building that pays for the garage. We just park on the street. A parking ticket once every 6 months because you are home sick is nothing compared to $50 a month...

bsdubois00
01-28-2008, 05:17 PM
I just got an apartment at Prairie Springs - thanks everyone for your help and recommendations. I hope to be up in OKC soon.

Brandon

Tex
01-28-2008, 06:39 PM
I just got an apartment at Prairie Springs - thanks everyone for your help and recommendations. I hope to be up in OKC soon.

Brandon

Damn! I was hoping you would move into my apt. complex so you could tell the leasing manager I referred you as a new resident, then I could cash in on the $500 referral bonus and then give you your cut. Oh well, enjoy P.S.

Patrick
01-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Brandon

I think you'll be happy with your choice. I would've moved there if I would've had the money at the time. It's close to all of the shops there on NW Expressway...Wal-Mart, Sams, Brixton Square, Rockwell Plaza (Target, Ross, Aspen if you like to work out), Aldi, etc. And they're fairly new apartments, so they're very nice.

DVDFreaker
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM

Brandon

Congrats, hope you will like the apartment

DVDFreaker
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Damn! I was hoping you would move into my apt. complex so you could tell the leasing manager I referred you as a new resident, then I could cash in on the $500 referral bonus and then give you your cut. Oh well, enjoy P.S.

What apartment complex are you lviing at? I am looking for apartments now

bsdubois00
01-28-2008, 08:47 PM
MOVE IN PARTY haha ok it sounded great - but on a serious note, anyone up for a round or two of golf let me know when i get up there - also I'm a big hunter, where should I start looking for a place to hunt?

Regards,
Brandon

Tex
01-28-2008, 08:56 PM
What apartment complex are you lviing at? I am looking for apartments now

I live at the Park at Memorial, I think it may have been previously referred to as Memorial Park. It's across from Mercy Hospital. Great place, cool people, amazing swimming pool. During pool season, we refer to the pool area as "Melrose Place" cuz of the interesting people you meet and their stories. Let me know if you want to arrange a visit with Gayle the leasing manager so I can give my name as a referral. I really like that our fitness center is open 24/7 with private key access. I'm not too sure if other apartments offer that.

The Park At Memorial :: Luxury Apartment Homes (http://www.theparkatmemorial.com/)

DVDFreaker
01-28-2008, 09:05 PM
I live at the Park at Memorial, I think it may have been previously referred to as Memorial Park. It's across from Mercy Hospital. Great place, cool people, amazing swimming pool. During pool season, we refer to the pool area as "Melrose Place" cuz of the interesting people you meet and their stories. Let me know if you want to arrange a visit with Gayle the leasing manager so I can give my name as a referral. I really like that our fitness center is open 24/7 with private key access. I'm not too sure if other apartments offer that.

The Park At Memorial :: Luxury Apartment Homes (http://www.theparkatmemorial.com/)

I can't find the prices for 1 bed room apartment but it seems far from my work but it does look really nice but I can't swim though, haha!

bsdubois00
01-28-2008, 09:06 PM
hey DVDFreaker - try apartments.com - i think they have all the info for the Parks at Memorial on there - they look nice just alittle more than I wanted to spend for a 1 br with a study but once again indeed look very nice.

Regards

Tex
01-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I can't find the prices for 1 bed room apartment but it seems far from my work but it does look really nice but I can't swim though, haha!

The link below shows a 1bd starts at $685 but I'm sure if you stop by it will be closer to $650. I'm just saying that because when I was looking at my apartment my rent was lower than what was posted on the website.

The Park At Memorial Apartments Oklahoma City, OK - Apartments for Rent in Oklahoma City Oklahoma (http://www.apartmentguide.com/PropertyOverview.aspx?srch=lt_1_1**propertyzip_1_n a_73134**geo_20_35.6131_-97.5731_987**listingpricelow_9_0_-1**listingid_2_9695)

DVDFreaker
01-28-2008, 09:14 PM
The link below shows a 1bd starts at $685 but I'm sure if you stop by it will be closer to $650. I'm just saying that because when I was looking at my apartment my rent was lower than what was posted on the website.

The Park At Memorial Apartments Oklahoma City, OK - Apartments for Rent in Oklahoma City Oklahoma (http://www.apartmentguide.com/PropertyOverview.aspx?srch=lt_1_1**propertyzip_1_n a_73134**geo_20_35.6131_-97.5731_987**listingpricelow_9_0_-1**listingid_2_9695)

Not too shabby, is it all bills paid though?

Tex
01-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Not too shabby, is it all bills paid though?

Ummmm, unfortunately not. However, every unit has a stackable washer and dryer in it. Utilities usually aren't that high.

Edit: It's okay if you can't swim. There are built in benches all along the inside of the pool so you can kickback relax and enjoy a cold brew.

DVDFreaker
01-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Ummmm, unfortunately not. However, every unit has a stackable washer and dryer in it. Utilities usually aren't that high.

That's not bad, I hope they have cox cable

Big C
01-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Brandon

You'll like it up here. I just relocated from Louisiana myself a few months ago and do not regret my decision. Just curious, where in Louisiana are you moving from? Oh and as for this:

"Absolutely. Avoid anything east of May Ave. between 122nd and Memorial Rd."

I live in one of these "Apartment Complexes to Avoid" right now, and I haven't have any problems.

bsdubois00
01-29-2008, 05:58 AM
I'm moving from HOUMA - and i think the main thing I am really going to miss is some of the BEST FISHING in the world down here. People just dont realize how amazing the fishing is in south louisiana until they come. Where else can you limit on trout in an hour off the side fo the road?? and take a 2 hour boat ride and catch tuna all day.

Regards
Brandon

Midtowner
01-29-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't know anyone in the building that pays for the garage. We just park on the street. A parking ticket once every 6 months because you are home sick is nothing compared to $50 a month...

It's only $50 if you promise to never be there on a weekday.