View Full Version : Boxing or MMA schools in OKC?

BailJumper
01-25-2008, 03:01 PM
My son wants to take a class on Mixed Martial Arts or boxing - does anyone know of any good schools in the city? He's most interested in real life hand to hand stuff that might apply on the streets. I'm not to keen on it but, i rather he learn in a classroom setting than a group of kids in a backyard beating the crap out of each other.

AFCM
01-25-2008, 11:24 PM
My son wants to take a class on Mixed Martial Arts or boxing - does anyone know of any good schools in the city? He's most interested in real life hand to hand stuff that might apply on the streets. I'm not to keen on it but, i rather he learn in a classroom setting than a group of kids in a backyard beating the crap out of each other.

I used to train at USA Stars in Moore. They're reasonably priced and their fees are all-inclusive. The MMA is mostly reserved for adults who are pretty serious in their fighting, but there are plenty of other martial arts for kids. Once I became proficient, I started training with a few friends at Tinker simply because it's free to use the gym. That's pretty much the only reason I stopped going there. I'd look in to USA Stars. Good luck.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-25-2008, 11:32 PM
BailJumper, if I haven't posted back here this weekend with an answer, PM me...I know a couple of guys that do MMA training at a couple of places each, and I'll ask them if they know of a place that trains kids.

BailJumper
01-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Cool. By "kid" I mean 17. He goes to a pretty rough high school and I'm not going to discourage him from wanting to feel confident. He's not the bully type or someone to brag about or look to prove his abilities, but he also doesn't want to get bullied. He already plays football and has been weight lifting for a couple of years now. Not a big kid weight wise but certainly cut more than kids when I went to high school.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Okay, I'll let him know that.

The main guy I know that fights has a private trainer, but THAT guy will know of a place. :D

Andy1807
01-28-2008, 09:07 AM
I have been taking a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class at Titan in Norman, and they offer MMA, Boxing and Mui Thai classes as well.

I've been amazed at how cool everyone in the classes are and it's been a lot of fun.