View Full Version : Kang's Asian Bistro

metro
01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Well I ate at the N. Western location yesterday for a business lunch. The location is a bit odd and the exterior of the building isn't very nice. It's located on NW 65th just off Western, however it is set back behind the strip center there and it is like a strip center behind the strip center, actually I think Harvey intersects with 65th just one block east of Western. Anyhow, the interior is another story. The interior is very nice and the bar and sushi areas are very modern and urban feeling (think Red Prime steakhouse look). It's definitely very modern urban chic (kind of minimalist look). The interior windows have like an vinyl decal applied that looks like a city skyline and the sun from outside lights it up. Basically, when you look out the windows, it looks like an urban city, instead of a ugly parking lot.

When I arrived however, the place was dead (11:30am), but it quickly picked up towards the noon hour, however the place was still half empty (compared to most N. Western places at lunch and you can't find a table). The menu was very pleasant and had a good variety of offerings, sushi/sashimi, traditional asian choices, and many fusion dishes. I personally had the orange peel chicken. My colleagues had the Mongolian beef, some sort of chicken, and one had a salad. We shared an order of edamame. Everyone was very pleased with their dishes and the portions were very generous. Even better, the prices were very reasonable (nothing over $7.95 I believe) on the lunch menu. Most dinner entrees were $11.95 or less. The quality of the food was P.F. Changs quality IMO without having to wait 2 hours to get, 1/2 the price, and without the super loud environment. I highly recommend this place, its really a hidden gem. I'm assuming the off the beaten path keeps it slightly slower than the other Western Ave. eateries. There is also a Kang's in Edmond as well.

betts
01-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Thank you. I'd heard good things about this restaurant and knew it was off Western and 63rd, but couldn't remember the name. I'd driven aimlessly around the arena looking for it without success (helps if you know the name), so I appreciate the info.

john60
01-29-2008, 01:57 AM
Thank you. I'd heard good things about this restaurant and knew it was off Western and 63rd, but couldn't remember the name. I'd driven aimlessly around the arena looking for it without success (helps if you know the name), so I appreciate the info.

Kang's is one block east of western on Ollie. you should turn on the street in between Sno Pea and the red brick office building, which I believe is 65th maybe...

I miss House of Hunan, Kang's predecessor. It was casual, cheap, had friendly waiters/waitresses, and was excellent food. Something tells me Kang's is an overpriced rip-off of PF Changs, though that's unfair for me to make that accusation without actually trying it...

Its just frustrating that Western lost another "neighborhood" casual restaurant.

metro
01-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Over-priced ripoff? It's local, unique, has a better menu and fresh sushi (changs does not), and its about half the price. The atmosphere is also better in my opinion. I'd much rather eat at Kang's than Changs.

john60
01-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I worded that incorrectly. I love that Kang's is locally owned. In fact, I talked with the owners who said they were doing much of the renovations themselves, which I thought was very cool. I'm sure its cheaper than PF Chang's and probably very good, but I just miss good ole' House of Hunan. I hope Kang's does well, because I think the place is still owned by the same great folks who owned H of H.