View Full Version : NAIA National Wrestling Tournaments

Doug Loudenback
01-20-2008, 06:57 AM
From Sioux City Journal: Sioux City Journal: National mat meet leaving Sioux City (http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2008/01/18/sports/scrapbooks/morningside/08/wrestling/497-011808.txt)

National mat meet leaving Sioux City
Oklahoma City to host tourney
By Steven Allspach - Journal sports writer

Posted from 01/18/08:
Sioux City has set the standard, taking the NAIA national wrestling tournament out of the "barn," so to speak, to set up residence in a palace.

Now, it is Oklahoma City's turn to keep the ever-brightening lights of the mat sport at the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics level at high intensity.

Thursday, the NAIA announced that Oklahoma City University will host the 2009 and 2010 national wrestling tournaments.

The tournament will terminate a four-year run at the Tyson Events Center/Gateway Arena. Sioux City's final national wrestling meet will be held March 6-8.

"We're thrilled to have Oklahoma City as host for the 2009 and 2010 national championships," said NAIA President and CEO Jim Carr in a press release. "I am confident that OCU will carry on the strong tradition of this event and make it a memorable experience for all student-athletes, coaches and fans involved.

"On behalf of the NAIA, I would like to recognize the efforts of our current hosts, Sioux City, and what they have done to make the tournament a success."

What the local administrators of the tournament have done is put NAIA wrestling on a pedestal, the grand elevated stage for the championship matches on the final night of the tournament.

"With a tremendous facility like the Tyson Events Center and the great staff there, our intention was always to treat the tournament on a par, if not better, than the Division I meet," said Jan George, one of those directly responsible for organizing the meet here. "That might not be reality, but it didn't keep us from attempting to make it a great experience.

"It's kind of a bummer to lose it, but Oklahoma is a great wrestling state like Iowa and we wish Oklahoma City University all the best in hosting.

"We're looking forward to our final one at the Tyson Events Center with great anticipation and make it a grand finale. Over the years I never visited with one coach or wrestler who wasn't impressed with the building and the way we conducted the competition."

Sioux City first landed the tournament in 2005 thanks to the industrious work, dedication and well-connected wrestling ties of the director, Tim Tushla.

Tushla stepped aside after the first tourney. George, Doug Manley and Tim Seaman have combined forces to run the show. George is the former wrestling coach at West High, Manley is one of Iowa's most respected wrestling officials and Seaman is the longtime sports director at KCAU Channel 9.

"We chose not to bid to continue to host the tournament for various reasons," said Seaman. "It is a tremendous undertaking and far more work and worry than you can imagine.

"We feel we've run a first-class tournament that will continue in March. We want to make this last one in Sioux City the best."

Oklahoma City University worked in conjunction with the Oklahoma City Convention & Visitors Bureau in submitting a bid to host the championships the next two years.

"Our intention is to make this the best wrestling championship ever," said OCU athletic director Jim Abbott. "Oklahoma is a tradition-rich wrestling state.

bombermwc
01-21-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm sort of wondering what the event will feel like at OCU. The Tyson center is much more a classic "arena" type venue. Lemons Arena is more of the normal "gym" feel with the seating only being on the two sides. It holds a good number of people, but I don't think it holds more than like 3-4000...definitely not 10. I wonder if the event in Iowa just had too many empty seats?

If you've ever been to a wrestling tourney, part of the experience is to have that loud yelling going on from all the different matches going on. Somewhere like OCU with say 6 mats worth at one time, it will definitely be a more energize atmosphere.

I'm just hoping my Alma Matter does well. So far, OCU hasn't had much in the way of a wrestling team. Yeah, it's new...but I don't think they even had a winning season last year. :(