View Full Version : Street vendors in OKC?

Pages : [1] 2

Chefdavies
01-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Are there any street vendors in or allowed in downtown? I'm interested in starting up a hot dog vending service for around the courthouse and downtown areas.

jbrown84
01-17-2008, 12:50 PM
That would be really cool and I think would do well.

hipsterdoofus
01-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I think there are some in bricktown but I've never heard of that downtown. I think it would be cool as well but there has to be some reason no one has ever done it (ie, rules against it?)

CuatrodeMayo
01-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Please do this. That would rock.

jbrown84
01-17-2008, 03:07 PM
I live in the Park Harvey. I would support it, even though I don't like hot dogs. Maybe you could have soft pretzels too? :)

metro
01-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Are there any street vendors in or allowed in downtown? I'm interested in starting up a hot dog vending service for around the courthouse and downtown areas.

PLEASEEEEEEEE do this. None that I've ever seen (except special occasions) do this in the CBD. There is a HOT DOG street vendor that operates in Bricktown on nights, weekends and special occasions. I think several street vendors would do really well in the CBD (Central Business District aka the heart of downtown). Heck, I will make sure I support you at least once a week. I've thought about doing the same but it's not really my gig. With all the workers downtown already (40,000+), and with all the new housing opening up, and businesses planning to relocate downtown or add workforce downtown, its really a no brainer. Please let us know more if you decide to do this. I'd also like to see some street newspaper/magazine type vendors.

Oh, if I remember right, I think the process is actually simple. Just pay your small fee and get your stand inspected and pay like a nominal fee to the city for a permit to sell on the streets (I think it's $40) and your good to go.

solitude
01-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Great idea! I am sure Metro is right, a pretty simple process. Not allowing street vendors in an urban downtown would disqualify such city from being a city, imo.

jbrown84
01-17-2008, 07:42 PM
I would love to see one of those green newsstands on the Chase plaza or somewhere else with wide sidewalks and high daytime traffic.

http://photos-335.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v72/125/97/79800335/n79800335_30304321_9914.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v76/125/97/79800335/n79800335_30322511_6261.jpg

http://photos-335.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v72/125/97/79800335/n79800335_30304203_6555.jpg

FritterGirl
01-17-2008, 08:33 PM
To vend in Bricktown you need to get a Permit through the Parks Department. I'm not certain about getting a general vendor permit for other parts of the City.

Chefdavies
01-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Well thanks for the support I will try to get the ball rolling. Any ideas on condiments??? I'm excited, looking up carts now. Just need to get everything together.

CuatrodeMayo
01-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Chili, cheese, sourkraut, onions,...this is Oklahoma you know.

solitude
01-17-2008, 10:59 PM
jbrown's idea about adding hot pretzels is a pretty darn good idea.

Doug Loudenback
01-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Chefdavies, as for the dogs themselves, for me, "simple is good." Some of the best (and least expensive) are to be found in that small old coney shop on Main & Walker (I think that's the location). Lots and lots of onions is a must! And lots of napkins.

Good luck with this! Sounds like a great project!

Chefdavies
01-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Wheels are in motion. Stayed up most of the night researching this project. As a chef I will even make some specialty dogs, ie sooner dog, cowboy dog. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Bar-S, and Nathan's. My goal would be to eventually make my own hot dogs and sausages. Thanks for the support, and hopefully by march "Davies Dogs" will be on your corner serving you a great dog with a smile!!!

CuatrodeMayo
01-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Wow...you go chef.

BailJumper
01-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Actually, there has been a hot dog vendor in the past just north of the interurban restaurant. Not every day, but off and on. Ate one once during the Famer's market they hold on Wednesdays (I think that's the day of the week).

If you do this - You've gotta get Flint Michigan hot dogs, they taste like nothing you've had before. LOVE THEM!

Chefdavies
01-18-2008, 10:40 AM
I like the idea of having out of state products but I kinda would like to keep it "oklahoma." But, things may change.

shane453
01-18-2008, 02:49 PM
I liked your idea of keeping the dogs local personally.

Good idea, and a contribution to dining and urban life in OKC! I think the area on the west side of downtown that you are considering is perfect for this type of thing- near Park Harvey and Legacy, near the library, near the government buildings... Lots of people who want a quick snack to fill them up and get back to work will find your stand very convenient.

jbrown84
01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
A ton of people work in Oklahoma Tower right there next to the library, and Leadership Square is a block away.

metro
01-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Wheels are in motion. Stayed up most of the night researching this project. As a chef I will even make some specialty dogs, ie sooner dog, cowboy dog. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Bar-S, and Nathan's. My goal would be to eventually make my own hot dogs and sausages. Thanks for the support, and hopefully by march "Davies Dogs" will be on your corner serving you a great dog with a smile!!!

Please go with Nathans if you can, far better quality than Bar-S, even though I love supporting Oklahoma companies, the quality just doesn't compare. Definitely have some hot pretzels and canned sodas as well.

solitude
01-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Please go with Nathans if you can, far better quality than Bar-S, even though I love supporting Oklahoma companies, the quality just doesn't compare. Definitely have some hot pretzels and canned sodas as well.

I agree with Metro. No comparison between Bar-S and Nathan's. If you want to sell hot dogs, you're going to sell a hell of a lot more using Nathans than Bar-S. Business is business. I still like the hot pretzel idea - and canned sodas, well, that makes it complete. Good luck! Would you want to begin this Spring?

shunt
01-18-2008, 09:28 PM
how bout a bobos in bricktown? Bobos rules....

when people come to okc for the first time, we go pick up bobos and eat it on the capitol steps....its a near spiritual experience!

I took my ol girl Bat-or from Tel Aviv, no lie, she said the place reminded her of home...

http://myemospace.com/garrett/ictheybobos.jpg

bkm645
01-18-2008, 09:31 PM
I love the idea of having street vendors. I especially like the idea someone had about having soft pretzels. I work in the Robinson Renaissance building and would probably stop at least once a week. Just do not make the food reheated Sams food, if I want that I will go the Sams food court.

John
01-19-2008, 02:42 AM
If you go the Nathan's or Hebrew National route, I'm sure you'd be able to get one of their spiffy umbrellas for your cart, which would be great advertising. I'd be much more willing to grab a bite at a stand with one of those umbrellas overhead.

Chefdavies
01-19-2008, 09:52 AM
I'll be doing all my research today. Waiting to hear back on my cart options. Its looking like prices will be somewhere around 1.50(dog with condiments), 2.00specialty dog( grilled onions, medley of peppers, sauerkraut, etc). Will offer pretzels w/ cheese, and canned sodas. My overall plan would be to own 2-3 carts and service many city blocks. So no person has to walk a long ways for a snack. If everything falls into place, I would also like to open 2 newspaper stands like you see in new york and boston. My feeling is OKC wants to have the big city feel, with all the downtown living now and events its time we come in with the little things that add to the city. If I can add to the growth of OKC i'll be happy. I'm not looking to make money just add to the city.

dismayed
01-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Very nice. Good luck to you Dave.

metro
01-19-2008, 06:06 PM
chefdavies, I'd be happy to help you with marketing support!

Chefdavies
01-19-2008, 11:14 PM
So I did some market research today. Bought several types of hotdogs and tried them all out. Have to say the nathan's dog was the best. Wish it was alittle thicker but it will do. I overcooked my onions and peppers so the full taste test didnt go as planned, made the mistake by gettin on the computer instead of watching my food. haha. Metro that would be great. Still kinda in the rough stages, but its coming together quicker than expected. Sounds stupid but I'm cautiously excited.

BailJumper
01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Are you boiling your dogs, steamming them or cooking on a flat surface or in one of those spinning contraptions?

Talk condiments.... mustard, relish, onions, cheese (real, shredded, nacho type...), pickle spears, chili (kind), etc.?

Gonna offering anything else? I love a hot pretzel!

Chefdavies
01-22-2008, 03:01 PM
condiments we are looking at mustard, relish,beer battered onions, Real ketchup, blended cheese mix, saurkraut, banana peppers, and a diced pepper medley. Homemade chili will also be on the menu.

As far as cooking, i'm looking into a flat top to par cook the dogs then keep them warm with the steam from the cart. I'm tryin to find a cart with propane and electric options, so down the road I will add one of those pretzels spinning things lol.

Only problem is I had every thing laid out, priced and costed out. Basically all set to go to the bank. When a nice big glass of water fell on the laptop and fried it. So i've been set back about 1-2weeks sorry folks.

metro
01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Bummer. You might also want to check with the city to see what the permit process is, how much it costs, how long it takes. I mentioned earlier it wasn't too painstaking of a process, however our city has become quite notorious as of late in the slowness of the permit process (usually building permits). You'll also need to call the Health Dept. and get an inspection.

If you are needing a business loan, the SBA or small business administration is also GREAT help. They are located downtown just off 6th in the new federal building. They have great help and best of all it's free. They will need to see your business plan before they can offer up much help. They can also help you get guaranteed loans.

CuatrodeMayo
01-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Chef:

Everytime I see you screenname is get this image:

http://www.scientomogy.com/chef_scientologist1.jpg

eataroundokc.com
01-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Hot dog vendors rule. I can't wait to see this! Good luck.

Markbb
01-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Good luck on your hotdog idea alot of things come to mind on this end keep us informed on your location and I'll come by and get a dog

Midtowner
01-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Only problem is I had every thing laid out, priced and costed out. Basically all set to go to the bank. When a nice big glass of water fell on the laptop and fried it. So i've been set back about 1-2weeks sorry folks.

I doubt your hard drive was damaged.

Just about any computer repair person can recover your data.

Chefdavies
01-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Nice picture, but i'm not your average chef, I'm skinny haha. I know I know dont trust a skinny chef, I'm working on the belly. Computer had my plan on it, but its in the shop now being serviced. I have my food handlers/servsafe permits. I'm debating whether or not to get a "store." Just a place to store the food, cleaning supplies, and cart. I'm looking at a march 1st or alittle after open date.

metro
01-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Good idea davies, i forgot to figure if you'll need a small space to store your supplies and your cart at night or really bad weather, or if you're selling a lot to stock up again and go back out. Might be able to rent a small storage space somewhere on a basement floor pretty cheap. I'd talk to tuck, he's in the food service industry and well known, I'm sure he could give you some good advice.

hipsterdoofus
01-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Chili, cheese, sourkraut, onions,...this is Oklahoma you know.

Jalapenos!

metro
01-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Dudes, he's a hotdog cart, not a buffet. I think you all have suggested like 20+ condiments. Not sure if anyone has seen a hotdog cart before but they are limited on space. Go to NYC or Philly and they'll give you like 2 or 3 options. Same thing with soft pretzels, mustard or no mustard. That's part of the cart vendor experience. If you wanted a buffet, go to Golden Corral.

BailJumper
01-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Be sure an scope out the competition. I love the dogs at sweets and eats. Also the experience at Coney Island downtown is great too!

My only fear is weather and the crowd. Half the year i wouldn't wanna be standing outside hoping to make $30 on dogs. Also the crowd, much different than NYC. I eat DT almost every day. Alot of people want the sit down experience (even with a cheap dog). But, that said, there are always the "i"m in a hurry" crowd and those that will patronize now and then just for the "experience" and to support your efforts. I wish you well, but hope you have another job (or a trust fund!).

jbrown84
01-24-2008, 08:57 AM
He already said he's not in it for the money, so I'm sure if the weather's particularly bad, he just won't be out that day.

Chefdavies
01-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Lived in oklahoma my entire life. Hope to stay here. I know oklahomas' weather can change in a heartbeat. If its raining (lightly) or snowing (same) i'll be there. As far as condiments go I am working on how to lay everything out on the cart. I expect to get the cart in 2 weeks, then I can go from there. Thank you for all the support and look forward to serving you some dogs. I'm going to try to get a website up and running, so I customers can give me ideas on specialty dogs or caterings. Take care.

CuatrodeMayo
01-24-2008, 12:07 PM
You go Chef. Too many people on this board (not excluding myself) are all talk and no action. You are making it happen. I salute you.

CrimsonOberon
01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Man, this sounds like an excellent idea and a very welcome addition to downtown OKC.

Good luck with this, chef. I'll be sure to drop by for a dog when you're finally open for business.

CCOKC
01-24-2008, 04:54 PM
You go Chef. Too many people on this board (not excluding myself) are all talk and no action. You are making it happen. I salute you.

Amen brother.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-24-2008, 05:46 PM

X3.

xd0nn4x
01-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Back in arizona they had these hotdogs with jalepeno's and cheese inside , if you got that i would be there every single day :o

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Back in arizona they had these hotdogs with jalepeno's and cheese inside , if you got that i would be there every single day :o

They have those in donut shops here. Kinda like pigs in a blanket, but with jalapenos.

oksports
01-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Does anyone have information on how to contact a hotdog vendor to come to a place of business for the afternoon? My team is taking a trip to Chicago and I am looking to have someone bring a HotDog cart for the day to promote the "Chicago Dog" Any ideas?

tuck
01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
You should contact a restaurant that serve Chicago Dogs. They would either cater the event or you could pick the order up at their place. Securing a Chicago Dog Cart will be a tough one, in my opinion.

John
01-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have information on how to contact a hotdog vendor to come to a place of business for the afternoon? My team is taking a trip to Chicago and I am looking to have someone bring a HotDog cart for the day to promote the "Chicago Dog" Any ideas?

Call the RedHawks and see if you could get ahold of their food vendor. They serve pretty much all of the Major League specialty dogs behind home plate, including the Chicago Red Hot.

Chefdavies
01-31-2008, 01:17 PM
I now have everything in the "works," as they say. The ball is rolling and picking up speed. I'm talking to a with one certain "famous" hot dog company and the cart is being built. You know getting it all "pimped" out haha. J/k Filling out all the permits, licenses. Its alittle overwhelming. Thanks again for the support. I will hopfully launch a website before grand opening. Er, is it possible to have a grand opening for a street vendor? Anywho, thanks again. This weather is crumy

CuatrodeMayo
01-31-2008, 02:26 PM
You. Rock.

RealtorJoe
02-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Good luck!!! I think this is a great idea!

Chefdavies
03-25-2008, 03:44 PM
So its been quite a long time for an update. As it stands now the idea is in a "holding pattern." I got a promotion with my job, and had other important matters come up so I could not concentrate as much as I want to on this vision. Trust me the vision isn't gone by any means. Its just taken a back seat for awhile, sadly. Just figured you all deserved a update after all this time.

t3h_wookiee
03-25-2008, 04:13 PM
I hope you're able to get the idea off the ground soon, as it sounds awesome! Nothing beats street meat, some of the best meals I had in Toronto were from hot dog and sausage stands. Yum! Congrats on your promotion btw. :)

HOT ROD
03-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Chicago Dogs is actually called Vienna Beef.

Actually, I recommend the following: have 3 lines of hot dogs, promoting the three major regions: Nathans - NY, Vienna Beef - Chicago (Chicago style dogs), and Bar-S - Oklahoma City/local!!! I think you also need to have perhaps Turkey and/or Chicken or some 'healthy' alternatives. Perhaps Hot Soft Pretzels if your cart is big enough.

Basically, cover all of your bases that are not available downtown (so you get volume and repeat business) and market it like a hot dog haven that also is health conscious (to tie with the city's weight loss effort, so you get initial customers).

It would be nice to have more than one cart (but I realize you need to start somewhere), but I agree - the heart of downtown needs a cart badly. Talk about improving the urban experience and creating critical mass of pedestrians!!!

I wonder if the city will still have those concerts? If so, somehow tie into that - you will make a killing and surely that would make even the most urban visitor feel very well at home in downtown OKC - and they will surely tell their friends!!!

Anyways, I wish you much luck in your 'snack dog' business. Like was said, this is SURELY desired in downtown OKC and Im sure you will do well - especially if you market it right (the 3 styles of dog plus health, don't forget about healthy and perhaps have a KOSHER Beef style of dog as well).

As for condiments, have as much as possible (Kraut, Mustard, Sport Peppers, Tomato, Katsup, Mayo, Wasabi Mayo, Relish, Green Relish, Onions, Pickle, chili, bbq sauce).

Stick to hot dogs and perhaps pretzels though, don't have too much as it increases your overhead and most likely will lower quality.

If you EVER get the chance, go to Vancouver BC Canada and visit the many snack dog carts that are all over downtown. Just observe what they do then implement it in Oklahoma City! If you do, you will do JUST FINE!

PennyQuilts
03-26-2008, 06:02 AM
I am very, very excited for you.

Now here is the question that I keep asking myself - since this is such a great idea - and it is - why aren't there more vendors? If it is just a token fee, why aren't we crawling with them, especially during the summer? Maybe I missed it but have you personally checked with the permit people regarding the process and whether they limit where you can set up your stand?

I wonder if it would be too difficult to have a soft serve ice cream stand in the summer. Probably the generator would be too loud, eh?

mmonroe
04-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I saw a street vendor set up near the area of the county courthouse and downtown library... is this you?

Chefdavies
04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
not me, didnt see him/her. I have had talks with nathan's and will mostlikely be going that route. I tried to get Bar-S but they wouldn't, well I'm not going to say they wouldn't but the amount they wanted me to buy was what they sell to supermarkets.As far as healthy goes, we would just have to see. The cons may out weigh the pros in that situation. I might start talking to the company I work for and try to spin the idea off through them. Anywho, time is of the essence and i'm tryin to get this going. Take care and good day!