View Full Version : Street vendors in OKC?

Pages : 1 [2]

okclee
04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Have you ever considered selling items at Lake Hefner during the summer??

I always thought that if someone was selling ice cold water bottles, gatorade, etc. , during the summer at Lake Hefner trails, they would make a bundle of cash. One could easily sell ice cold bottled drinks for $2.00 each, just think of that kind of mark-up.

Chefdavies
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
haha, not really i'm starting to learn how to kiteboard. So it would be hard to sell and surf at the same time. But a good idea. I know all about mark up, ppl complain about oil market ups, you should really look into how much that steak dinner cost. But thats neither here nor there.

mmonroe
04-01-2008, 07:11 PM
A restraunt that I worked at, it cost them $.13 to make a pizza and sold them 13000% more, roughly $17. Now that's mark up. haha.

metro
04-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't think Lake Hefner is the point, the city did a study a few years back about doing city owned "concession stands" at Lake Hefner. I still think that is in the works although it may be a few years before we see anything.

The point of this thread and chefdavies "desire" was to create a more urban environment in Downtown OKC. Street vendors definitely add to the urban landscape. If anything, we should be encouraging davies to do what we can to get his urban vendor cart off the ground. I suspect the guy downtown spotted today was the guy who is usually in Bricktown for big events, but this guy is not consistent, and downtown needs several street carts, not just one part time cart.

FritterGirl
04-01-2008, 09:44 PM
I wonder if you could talk to Downtown OKC. If they do their lunchtime concerts again this year at Kerr/Couch Park, it would be really cool to have the mobile lunch cart at the ready.

A great dog accompanied by good music and beautiful weather? Who could ask for more?

(p.s. Sorry if this has already been suggested. I didn't want to trudge back through 60+ responses).

mmonroe
04-01-2008, 11:47 PM
@Metro, the guy in bricktown who has the hot dog cart, his name is marcus, and he's african american, the guy I saw was white and had a larger cart.

tuck
04-02-2008, 07:22 AM
not me, didnt see him/her. I have had talks with nathan's and will mostlikely be going that route. I tried to get Bar-S but they wouldn't, well I'm not going to say they wouldn't but the amount they wanted me to buy was what they sell to supermarkets.As far as healthy goes, we would just have to see. The cons may out weigh the pros in that situation. I might start talking to the company I work for and try to spin the idea off through them. Anywho, time is of the essence and i'm tryin to get this going. Take care and good day!

Chef,

You can use any brand of hot dog that you want as long as a major distributor in town either stocks it or aggrees to bring it in for you...the "big 3" all stock Bar-S. I think you are better off with a specialty dog like Nathans, Vienna, etc.. Nonnas currently promotes Nathan's at their sidewalk cafe. Your expense is going to be the cart; those hot dog companies get cart requests daily. You might be better off raising enough cash to custom build a cart designed for your menu. Maybe ofer 5-6 food items along with bottles water. Good luck, I would be a great customer.

metro
04-02-2008, 07:51 AM
I agree, go with Nathans, they taste sooooooooo much better. Although I like supporting Oklahoma companies, Bar S is like mystery meat.

Chefdavies
04-02-2008, 03:06 PM
I enjoyed 4 nathan's dogs last night. Training for "big wienie day" hahaha

Sara Belle
11-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Are food carts allowed in downtown OKC? A hotdog would rock!

metro
11-03-2009, 11:29 AM
yes, there are some in Bricktown during busy nights and weekends. there are also several food trucks in the CBD.

okclee
11-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Where in the metro can we find a good Chicago style dog?

tburn
11-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Where in the metro can we find a good Chicago style dog?

Prohibition Room - inside the gold dome at NW 23rd & Classen

tburn
11-03-2009, 12:35 PM
so ... its been a year and 1/2 since chefdavies last posted about the hotdog cart for downtown okc ... did it ever happen?

soonerguru
11-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Korean Tacos downtown every work day! They are very good. They're a lot like Mexican street tacos except they have a Korean marinade on the meat. Can't believe no one's mentioned them on this board yet.

okclee
11-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Prohibition Room - inside the gold dome at NW 23rd & Classen

How much is that going to cost me? $10? thanks, but no thanks.

(Not dissing the Prohibition Room either, it is a fantastic restaurant. )

But, I am searching for a good Chicago dog that won't break the bank. Any of the street vendors do a good Chicago dog?

Urbanized
11-03-2009, 12:58 PM
None of the hot dog vendors do a Chicago dog. I have been trying to talk Gail, the woman who owns the really nice fiberglass cart used on some nights in Bricktown, to make Chicago dogs available. She has expressed a willingness to do so, but hasn't yet. She bought her cart from someone who had one custom made and then decided not to go forward with it. It looks like an actual hot dog, and is really a pretty neat setup. Is it possible that she purchased her cart from Chefdavies?

Also, for the record, Nathans is NOT acceptable for a Chicago dog. Vienna Beef is the gold standard.

tburn
11-03-2009, 01:41 PM
How much is that going to cost me? $10? thanks, but no thanks.

(Not dissing the Prohibition Room either, it is a fantastic restaurant. )

But, I am searching for a good Chicago dog that won't break the bank. Any of the street vendors do a good Chicago dog?

I've not spent $10 on a dog there!
I think they are $5 and come with shoestring fries.
it has the green relish, sport peppers, fresh & soft (poppy?) seed bun...

I don't think OKC has chicago style street dogs yet ...

tburn
11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
ooops I spoke too soon.
guess I've always gotten the dogs on special for $5
the online menu says $8 -- but they are really good!

okclee
11-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Five dollars with fries is a fair price, especially if it is made true to Chicago style.

Hopefully we can find one for about $3.00 from a street vendor soon.

Jesseda
11-04-2009, 07:48 AM
my relatives came down from cali about 2 years ago, and visited bricktown over and over again, they loved getting gettinga hot dog from the street venders in bricktown.. they mention that part of there visit a lot for some reason lol, plus harkins and the canal, they loved it

Sara Belle
11-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I have seen the ones in bricktown at night, they always seem busy.

I was wondering if anyone sells them during the work week at lunchtime. Especially around Leadership and Oklahoma Tower?

I would think you could make some cash doing it.