View Full Version : Looking for good sports program for my 3 year old

masonsmomma
01-13-2008, 04:19 PM
I was interested in trying to get my 3 year old into either soccer or maybe t-ball. Does anyone have any ideas about where I can go to do this? I looked at the Midwest City site, and all they had was for older kids. I remember seeing over the summer some type of program that involved little kids, but I don't remember the name!

MadMonk
01-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Isn't 3 a little young? Don't most t-ball organizations start at age 5?

masonsmomma
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Not actually, I know they usually provide a baseball class at the community center for 3-5 year olds, but due to the renovations they are not doing it this year, as I understand. A grandfather at my dad's work says his 3 year old is in contact football already. I'm not looking for something harmful, but soccer isn't that bad.

MadMonk
01-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Wow, I had no idea. My son is five and I'm looking forward to him getting into t-ball this year.

bwana_bob
01-14-2008, 09:34 PM
The YMCA runs a Tiny Tots soccer league for 3-year olds and has a separate youth league for 4-year olds. The Tiny Tots play short quarters and on a much smaller field. Make sure that you have lots of kids on the team because most can only play half in total at most. Also, ensure that your coach knows how to work with 3-year olds. If you see 10 balls on the field at practice and drills that have a scrimmage angle, take the time to research age appropriate skill development. Start the kids in a circle, sitting down without the ball to explain what you will do at practice. After that, be creative and keep the focus on one ball, which direction to kick it and how to throw in or do corner kicks. Have your team adopt a mascot (lion, bear, monkey, etc.) then get a large stuffed version that you can attach to your goal during the game. The kids will chase this ball in a pack, only a few will actually kick the ball and they will not change direction. Done properly, this league is good fun for children and involved parents.

Oklahoma City YMCA Homepage (http://www.ymcaokc.org/home.html)

masonsmomma
01-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the great help! I really just want him to have fun and get out and do interesting things! I will give the YMCA a try!