View Full Version : Oklahoma Drivers Beware (CNN)!

dismayed
01-13-2008, 10:15 AM
"Oklahoma State Troopers are cracking down on motorists driving too slow in the left lane. KTUL's Abby Ross reports."

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/01/09/ross.ok.slow.drivers.beware.ktul)

dismayed
01-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Oops, just noticed this is already being discussed in Current Events / Left Lane Ticket.

metro
01-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Good, its about time.

diesel
01-13-2008, 07:26 PM
that is amazing... maybe people will learn to drive and quit poking around..

AFCM
01-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I remember this being a very heated topic on this board about two years ago. This brings back memories to when I first joined the board.

bombermwc
01-14-2008, 10:35 AM
ABOUT FREAKING FASTIC TIME! Those butt-holes piss me off every morning. Seriosuly, sitting in the fast lane going 50 ISN'T GOOD!!!!! If you look in your rear view mirror and a line of people are going insane...get your stupid butt out of the way and quit telling everyone how fast to go.

I've been lucky to not see the purple Dodge Ram that used to seriously cut across 4 lanes of traffic, cutting people off the whole way, so that he can sit in the fast lane and go the minimum 40 mph. What an ASS!

hipsterdoofus
01-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I'll say this is a good thing if they'd also start ticketing the jerks that try to get around construction areas and such by zipping to the front of a lane that is about to end and then getting over and causing everyone else to slow down....Those people CAUSE the majority of the slow downs.

CuatrodeMayo
01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Aren't you supposed to slow down in construction zones?

Ginkasa
01-15-2008, 11:05 PM
My concern is that this encourages speeding in the fast lane. "Slower traffic stay right," means people going under the speed limit, not people going slower than whatever you want to drive.

PUGalicious
01-16-2008, 05:44 AM
My concern is that this encourages speeding in the fast lane. "Slower traffic stay right," means people going under the speed limit, not people going slower than whatever you want to drive.
You're reading a lot into a very simple statement: "Slower traffic stay right." It means just that. Traffic that is slower should move to the right. If someone is moving faster than you in your lane and you have room to pull over, move over. It's not YOUR job to play traffic cop.

This doesn't encourage people to speed any more than sex education encourages kids to have sex.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-16-2008, 06:21 AM
You're reading a lot into a very simple statement: "Slower traffic stay right." It means just that. Traffic that is slower should move to the right. If someone is moving faster than you in your lane and you have room to pull over, move over. It's not YOUR job to play traffic cop.

This doesn't encourage people to speed any more than sex education encourages kids to have sex.

Exactly.

Ginkasa
01-17-2008, 02:03 AM

And my hoping it doesn't encourage people to speed doesn't mean I think people should hang out in the left lane. And, yes, I think there will be people who interpret "Slow people=right. Fast people=left. Let's go 90 in the left lane!" and think that's alright when, no, it isn't and its a lot worse, I feel, than driving 65 or 70 or whatever the speed limit is in the left lane.

jbrown84
01-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Not really, because those people will zip on by. The problem comes when some silly grandma is going 55 in the left lane and they have to slam on their brakes to not hit her.

Karried
01-17-2008, 08:22 AM
The problem comes when some silly grandma is going 55 in the left lane and they have to slam on their brakes to not hit her.

That's being generous... I've been stuck behind some people going around 40 in the fast lane.

Nothing brings on road rage like that.

bombermwc
01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Exactlly. It's not your job to tell people how fast to go. If you don't like how fast everyone is going, then get the F off the road.

That one person is causing more road rage and potential accidents than the 20 people behing him/her going 70.

FRISKY
01-17-2008, 05:48 PM
For those that block the left lane for whatever reason…here is a little something to think about…

When I see someone purposely blocking traffic in the left lane, I never flash my lights, tailgate or flip them off. I don't do anything but write down their tag number. Later, I look up the address of the owner and pay them a visit when no one is watching. Sometimes that visit is at their home or work, but if I have the time, the easiest solution is to inconspicuously follow them off the highway to their destination. If the car looks like it will be left unattended for a few moments, I usually scratch the paint, knife the tires or put water in the gas tank.

I'm not the only one that uses these tactics on those self-righteous, lane blocking, zealots. There are a growing number of people in this cult that do this regularly. The people that have this action carried out on their precious automobile will never know who did it or why, but it gives us a nice feeling of satisfaction to know we dealt out some justice to those that deserve it.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-17-2008, 06:44 PM
For those that block the left lane for whatever reason…here is a little something to think about…

When I see someone purposely blocking traffic in the left lane, I never flash my lights, tailgate or flip them off. I don't do anything but write down their tag number. Later, I look up the address of the owner and pay them a visit when no one is watching. Sometimes that visit is at their home or work, but if I have the time, the easiest solution is to inconspicuously follow them off the highway to their destination. If the car looks like it will be left unattended for a few moments, I usually scratch the paint, knife the tires or put water in the gas tank.

I'm not the only one that uses these tactics on those self-righteous, lane blocking, zealots. There are a growing number of people in this cult that do this regularly. The people that have this action carried out on their precious automobile will never know who did it or why, but it gives us a nice feeling of satisfaction to know we dealt out some justice to those that deserve it.

Wow...Aren't you a prize.

Ginkasa
01-18-2008, 02:27 AM
Exactlly. It's not your job to tell people how fast to go. If you don't like how fast everyone is going, then get the F off the road.

That one person is causing more road rage and potential accidents than the 20 people behing him/her going 70.

Neither is it your job to tell people how fast to go. So if you don't like how slow everyone else seems to be going, then the F off the road, eh?

Besides, I'm not talking about people going 40 in the passing, not "fast," lane. I agree. Going that slow on the interstate is just as dangerous as people going too fast, and the two mixed is even worse because they just tick each other off.

My point is that you guys seem to think that a) its safe to speed and b) legally allowed because, as you seem to see it, everybody not going as fast as you want because "slow drivers stay right."

To better demonstrate, let me give an example:

Let's say the speed limit is 70mph. I am driving 70mph. Traffic in the right lane slows down to 60mph, for whatever reason. I switch to the passing lane to pass this long line of cars. I'm still driving 70mph. While I'm still passing cars, somebody going 80mph comes up behind me.

Do you guys feel I should get in the other lane (causing myself to have to slow down to 60mph) to let the guy pass me? Even though I'm passing cars? Even though I'm going faster than everybody in the right lane?

I say no. It has nothing to do with getting the guy behind me to slow down, nor does it have anything to with ticking him off. I'm just passing everybody going less than the speed limit, and I don't feel I should have to slow down so some other guy can go fast.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Let's also say that the guy behind you going 80 has a child that got his arm lopped off in some random farm equipment and he's on his way to the hospital. The ambulance would have taken too long.

J/K...That's a bad example. I just wanted to say "lopped off".

What if you got over in the left lane, going 70 in a 70 to pass this line of cars going 60, and there was somebody there going 61, overtaking cars like they're in some sort of real life super slo-mo instant replay. Should you now wait on him to pass the entire line?

MadMonk
01-18-2008, 07:33 AM
They shouldn't ride your ass and you should get over to let them pass as soon as you can. I do it all the time. I'm passing someone slower and people come up behind me. I get over as soon as I can get past the slower people on the right. Most of the time they zip on by and are out of my way in a few seconds. If I still need to pass someone the opportunity is there again. It's just simple courtesy. Too often, the people going slower seem to resent those going faster and think they need to do something about it. Also, those going faster need to back off a little and give the person a chance to get over. A little common courtesy from both sides goes a long way.

kmf563
01-18-2008, 08:14 AM
what a bunch of existentialistic arses! you know, it really isn't all about YOU and what speed you think is safe or feel the need to go. it really is about courtesy and and the general flow of traffic. it is not your business what speed others are going. go the speed you need to go and do it in the right lane! the people speeding are well aware of the risks they take, the people snailing should be aware of the risks they are taking as well.

yes! ginkasa you should get back over into the right lane if you are going the speed limit passing people who are going slower than you when someone behind you is going faster. just like oh gawd says, what if someone going 61 gets in front of you. try not to personalize the highway...it's a group effort, not there for your personal convenience.

i like to think of it as the line for the bathroom - if the girl in front of you is taking too long to pee do you go in the stall and tell her how to do it? no, you wait your turn and try to go as fast as you can so the next person doesn't have to wait forever. you girls that sit in there and talk on your cell phone need to be punched in the eye when you come out. i almost guarantee you are the same ones driving slow in the fast lane because it is all about you and you have no regard for those around you.

and frisky - wow. they have medication for your issues. stalking is illegal. so is vandalism. and it's really creepy.

jbrown84
01-18-2008, 08:19 AM
They shouldn't ride your ass and you should get over to let them pass as soon as you can. I do it all the time. I'm passing someone slower and people come up behind me. I get over as soon as I can get past the slower people on the right. Most of the time they zip on by and are out of my way in a few seconds. If I still need to pass someone the opportunity is there again. It's just simple courtesy. Too often, the people going slower seem to resent those going faster and think they need to do something about it. Also, those going faster need to back off a little and give the person a chance to get over. A little common courtesy from both sides goes a long way.

Exactly.

bombermwc
01-18-2008, 09:40 AM
And I think most of us would agree that if we're going 70 in the left land and some yayhoo comes up behind us going 90 and riding our butts....that we're probably going to give them a big "screw you". No matter who you are, if you're riding my butt, I tend to not be courteous to you. If you back off and quit being a jerk, then I'll probably move over.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-18-2008, 12:28 PM
And I think most of us would agree that if we're going 70 in the left land and some yayhoo comes up behind us going 90 and riding our butts....that we're probably going to give them a big "screw you". No matter who you are, if you're riding my butt, I tend to not be courteous to you. If you back off and quit being a jerk, then I'll probably move over.

No, I don't escalate the situation. I move over.

Being a premeditated jerk is a really crappy thing to do.

Karried
01-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by bombermwc http://www.okctalk.com/images/vbe2blue/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/11874-oklahoma-drivers-beware-cnn.html#post124410)

No, I don't escalate the situation. I move over.

Being a premeditated jerk is a really crappy thing to do.

And there are always two sides to every story. I hate crappy drivers in all situations.

I think the guy going 90 riding your butt is also being a premeditated jerk - he probably understands that tailgating and flashing his brights might not make people very happy.

I'm thinking of the situation driving home from Houston ( Texas has some rude drivers btw) and I'm in the fast lane going around 5 - 10 miles faster than the posted speed limit in an effort to pass the guy in the slow lane and this guy comes barreling up behind me and there is the car next to me preventing me from getting over... instead of him figuring out that I can't safely change lanes just yet, he decides to try to force me to speed up to his 100 miles per hour. I'm just not going to do it.. so I do this and highly recommend it.. I put on my signal, letting him know that I do intend to get over for him and try to as soon as it's safe and speed up a bit to get out of his way ( unless of course, he is a complete and total jerk riding my tailgate to the point where I feel unsafe.. then I just stay my speed until it's safe to pass).

I've been on both sides of the situation many times.... it all does come down to common sense, staying safe and being courteous.

Knock on wood, I've never been in an accident.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Well, I'm not going to do an unsafe lane change to get out of somebody's way :D But even if somebody is riding my tail, I'll speed up to whatever speed I need to in order to get out of the guy's way. Of course, I don't need much of an excuse to mash my go-pedal. It's a real hoot when you're packing heat under the hood.

FRISKY
01-20-2008, 12:05 PM
No matter what far-fetched excuse cops use to justify why they have decided to write tickets to people driving in the left lane, the real reason is because left lane obstructions cause congestion, which slows traffic, which hinders writing tickets to speeders. The cops have figured out that they can now have the best of both worlds by writing tickets to everyone.

In today’s world it isn’t about public safety or justice, the court system and policing agency’s true job is to generate as much revenue as possible for the system. Local communities have found a goose that lays golden eggs and the enormous amount monies brought in from public fines is no longer just a benefit to the municipality’s coffers, it is a financial requirement that will never get smaller or go away.

Before some of you get up-in-arms and start telling us how this isn’t true and how good the cops and court system is, please explain why there are literally thousands of people that have received multiple citations for DWI and DUI that just pay a fine and are permitted to continue driving on public roads? Is it for our safety and protection, or is it so those habitual criminals (with potential to cause deadly accidents) will keep getting arrested which will lead to additional (and larger) fines? Criminals can’t continue to make payments to the system if the judge sends them to jail. Another thing to think about is why the jails are full of law breakers, typically poor law breakers, that don’t have the resources to pay their fines. It is a fact there are many more poor people incarcerated than those with the means to get high dollar lawyers and pay huge fines thus keeping them out of prison, no matter what crime they committed.

And also please explain exactly how the police will protect someone from having their car stolen, their business robbed or someone’s wife and children from being involved in a deadly car accident? How can the police protect you from ANY criminal activity or accident? The answer is; they can’t. They don’t have a crystal ball that tells them what bad deeds are about to happen, they can only write reports about it after the fact.

MadMonk
01-20-2008, 01:23 PM
No matter what far-fetched excuse cops use to justify why they have decided to write tickets to people driving in the left lane, the real reason is because left lane obstructions cause congestion, which slows traffic, which hinders writing tickets to speeders. The cops have figured out that they can now have the best of both worlds by writing tickets to everyone.
[Remaining irrelevant rant against "the man" redacted]

Oh gimme a break! They aren't writing tickets to those doing the speed limit in the passing lane, only to those who are going under the speed limit in that lane and holding up passing traffic. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it "far-fetched".

So, tell us Frisky, do you drive 50 in the left lane? Are you worried about getting one of these tickets? If so, then you should change your loathsome ways; if not then how noble and altruistic you are to take up the fight for the defenseless common-man against such horrible forces of tyranny. How dare those jack-booted thugs known as "Police Officers" enforce our laws. :rolleyes:

kmf563
01-21-2008, 08:53 AM
I think they should be called out. Tomorrow, I'm taking tag numbers. And not just to call them into the littering hotline - because let's face it, that fine is higher than the one you would get for going slow in the fast lane - but to call you out. It's like the traffic vent hotline but it's a list for the whole world to see. So if you own one of the cars that I see EVERY morning doing this on purpose - be ready to own your decision to piss everyone off on purpose. There are 2 or 3 vehicles for sure that I see do this every single day on purpose and you laugh as we all go around you. Your tag number and car description will be added to the public wall display of tards who need to learn how to drive.

jbrown84
01-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Last night, I saw a Roto-Rooter van poking along in the left lane that wouldn't get out of the way FOR AN AMBULANCE!

Good lord!

MadMonk
01-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I think they should be called out. Tomorrow, I'm taking tag numbers. And not just to call them into the littering hotline - because let's face it, that fine is higher than the one you would get for going slow in the fast lane - but to call you out. It's like the traffic vent hotline but it's a list for the whole world to see. So if you own one of the cars that I see EVERY morning doing this on purpose - be ready to own your decision to piss everyone off on purpose. There are 2 or 3 vehicles for sure that I see do this every single day on purpose and you laugh as we all go around you. Your tag number and car description will be added to the public wall display of tards who need to learn how to drive.
Where would I find such a fantastic web site as this?

kmf563
01-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Where would I find such a fantastic web site as this?

Well I had every intention of starting one today...but llike every other day, something came up and I have been swamped. So....I'm not sure. I want one though. Maybe a blog? I could start something on blogspot.com...
ideas madmonk?

MadMonk
01-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I thought you had a link to an existing site that was already be in-place.

But a blog might be fun. You could even have contributors upload cellphone pics of the offenders (taken by a passenger of course ;)). You could call it "Motorway Morons" :D

Yeah, that might work out well.