View Full Version : Aquarium in downtown....

CrueJones
01-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I am sure this is a popular topic from time to time, but I am relatively new here (been reading for months but just now posting) and wanted everyones opinions on the subject...

IMO this would be wonderful for the city and an easy way to generate endless revenue... I know they are expensive to build and to maintain, but I genuinely believe one would do wonderful in the ever expanding Bricktown...

I think something like this could really push OKC into that next level and generate momentum that was previously believed to be unattainable. This could be the one thing (other than the NBA franchise) to truly stimulate outside interest/big-time investing from people outside the state. Thoughts?

If people are against this idea, then what about a state of the art museum on par with other major cities..... Thanx in advance for the responses.

Again, sorry if this topic frequently occurs-I haven't seen it on here since I have been reading....

Kerry
01-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I would be very much in favor of an aquarium downtown. I know a logical location would be along the river but the water is to muddy to make it an attractive location for me. Adjacent to the Myriad Gardens would be nice. Heck, if Chattanooga, TN can have one of the largest in the world then OKC should be able to have something. Now, do you go fresh, salt, or both?

Welcome to the Tennessee Aquarium (http://www.tnaqua.org/)

CrueJones
01-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I would like both... If forced to pick I easily take salt.

PapaJack
01-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Hmmm...

Atlanta, Chattanooga, San Antonio all have aquariums. Could this be the newest wave crave, like Bass Pro Shops? Am I equating bait to sushi?

Salt or fresh? I like salt on my fresh water catfish, with fries and hush puppies. But don't tell Mick.

In my opinion OKC already has a several state of the art museums. Not MOMA or Smithsonian in size, but damned good ones.

hipsterdoofus
01-04-2008, 11:05 AM
I'd like to see it...I've been to the one in Jenks as well as the one in Gatlinburg, TN... kind of expensive to get in but probably something i'd do once a year at least.

onthestrip
01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
I dont think an aquarium will push us to the next level, whatever level that may be. But it would be another attraction to the city. I think what gets us to the next level isnt aquariums or NBA teams, but more large companies locating here and bringing high paying jobs with them.

raw98682
01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
I agree with onthestrip, but a aquarium in okc would be great!

BDP
01-04-2008, 12:38 PM
An aquarium would be cool, but I don't think we need one and it's impact would be minimal. I mean, I'd go, if it were nice, but I don't see people or companies taking a closer look at OKC because of it's aquarium.

But, maybe I'm wrong. What has having one of the largest in the world done for Chattanooga?

I think what gets us to the next level isnt aquariums or NBA teams, but more large companies locating here and bringing high paying jobs with them.

Well, large companies locate where they do largely due to access to a talented, skilled and or educated work force and these types of workers demand a high quality of life (and that does not mean cheap housing). No one will locate their company here if the people they want to hire do not want to live here. We're a little short on popular natural attractions, like beaches and mountains, so we do have to do what we can to create, attract, or provide better entertainment options for people who live here or are looking to live here if we want any company with high paying jobs that depends on human resources to take the chance of locating in Oklahoma City.

I'm not saying an aquarium is that answer, but taken as a whole, these kind of things do make a difference to many people.

OKC PATROL
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
If your going to invest in an aquarium then upgrade Aquaticus at the OKC Zoo.
It needs work and would attract more people to the oldest zoo in the SW.

The facility (Aquaticus) has gone down hill.....Why copy what Jenks did??

Kerry
01-04-2008, 02:02 PM
What has an aquarium done for Chattnooga? By itself nothing, but as part of a larger effort to revitalize downtown Chattanooga it has played its part. If you guys and gals are looking for a week away and want to try some place new I recommend Chattanooga. You will not be disappointed - especially if you have children. We go there at least once a year and it never gets old.

We're a little short on popular natural attractions, like beaches and mountains, so we do have to do what we can to create, attract, or provide better entertainment options for people who live here or are looking to live here if we want any company with high paying jobs that depends on human resources to take the chance of locating in Oklahoma City.

Amen brother.

I AM PS3
01-04-2008, 11:14 PM
If your going to invest in an aquarium then upgrade Aquaticus at the OKC Zoo.
It needs work and would attract more people to the oldest zoo in the SW.

The facility (Aquaticus) has gone down hill.....Why copy what Jenks did??

I've got a big AMEN for this one! Our zoo is one of the best in the nation, EXCEPT for our (now) crappy aquarium. Ever since we killed off our dolphins years ago it's just stagnated terribly.

I would REALLY love to see the zoo put money back into the aquarium now that the great ape, big cat, and Oklahoma Trails exibits are complete.

Paul
-------------------------------------------------------------
I AM PS3 (http://iamps3.spaces.live.com)

Kerry
01-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Why can't a downtown aquarium be built as part of the OKC Zoo. Upgrade Aquaticus but build a new facility downtown that can be a showcase. Maybe the OKC Zoo could be the first zoo to have brach locations. Pay $30 to get into the downtown aquarium and get a free ticket to the OKC Zoo. Then the Zoo can cleanup up on food and beverage sales and pull people in that might not consider going to the Zoo.

metro
01-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Why can't a downtown aquarium be built as part of the OKC Zoo. Upgrade Aquaticus but build a new facility downtown that can be a showcase. Maybe the OKC Zoo could be the first zoo to have brach locations. Pay $30 to get into the downtown aquarium and get a free ticket to the OKC Zoo. Then the Zoo can cleanup up on food and beverage sales and pull people in that might not consider going to the Zoo.

The San Diego Zoo kind of already does this with their Wild Animal Park located more NE of the San Diego Zoo. You pay about $52 and get admission to both.

Cid
01-05-2008, 04:51 PM
I'd only be in favor of a downtown aquarium if it were done big. A medium quality/size aquarium would be just another average aquarium in another average city.

Kerry
01-05-2008, 04:52 PM
OK - I will settle for being the second one to do it.

jbrown84
01-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, If we're going to do it, don't half-ass it like Jenks did. I'm sorry, but that aquarium was a huge disappointment.

OKC PATROL
01-07-2008, 09:57 AM
The Oklahoma Aquarium looks like a fake, cheap, plastic model of a horse race track with the interior of a Long John Silvers. Payed twenty and I didnt even see a med sized shark in the so-called shark tunnel thing.

CrueJones
01-07-2008, 03:25 PM
I was talking about doing so on a large scale.... It wouldn't be worth it to half-@zz it. I think one would do wonders for tourism in OKC...

shane453
01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
I was a bit disappointed after driving an hour and a half to Jenks as well... I was expecting a lot more glass tunnels through water tanks and a lot fewer "shuffle through the room following the line of people looking at display cases" rooms. Doesn't match hype. It was busy though.

dismayed
01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Actually, I would love to see a salt-water aquarium downtown. Here are the things that would have to be looked into though:

Salt-water aquariums are expensive. I have a medium-sized one in my house and have literally spent thousands on it. So take that times a whole lot more for a big aquarium.

It takes a very long time to get to the point of understanding water chemistry, corals, likes and dislikes of fish species, etc. It would take a very well trained staff to pull something like this off.

The power requirements for such a building would be enormous. The water would have to constantly be heated to between 77 and 79 degrees, chilled in the summer, and circulated non-stop. Massive RO/DI filtration systems would be running all the time, creating a large water and energy bill. This worries me because I'm not sure Bricktown could handle it... they have had a number of power outages down there in recent years. I think OG&E would need to do some upgrading before an aquarium is possible.

I think the ticket price would be very high unless the city supported it in some way.

I would really love to see this though. Maybe it is an appropriate addition to MAPS III.