View Full Version : What wierd things does your animal like to eat?

OKCCrime
12-31-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm looking into things to feed my dog as healthy treats. I found out recently they he likes to eat raw carrots because of the crunchy texture. Are there other human consumable items that pets like to eat? that you can feed them regularly? and that are healthy?

OKCcrime

---
Oklahoma City Crime - Crime Maps, Reports and Statistics (http://okccrime.com)

PennyQuilts
12-31-2007, 08:05 PM
One of my girls eats ANYTHING, including lettuce and plastic. She is no puppy so has no excuse. She hates beer and won't drink that, though.

bandnerd
12-31-2007, 10:17 PM
My cat loves roasted chicken. Can't keep him off the table when I make it.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-01-2008, 07:12 AM
My last dog would drool about 1.2 quarts onto the floor if I opened a jar of jalapenos and the only "chew toys" it liked were 3" diameter pieces of wood.

My cat loves roasted chicken. Can't keep him off the table when I make it.

So when your cat sits down...It's bunghole touches surfaces you place food on?

bandnerd
01-01-2008, 08:39 AM
I just wipe the table down a lot. We also use placemats. We've tried to keep both the cats off the table but it's a losing battle. We often eat on tv trays in the living room.

FritterGirl
01-01-2008, 09:14 AM
For a special treat from time to time (and to keep our pups occupied while we have company over), we feed our dogs frozen raw beef bones we get at Britton Feed & Seed. They come in packs of six and you get the "cross cut" of a leg bone that they can lick the marrow out of. Straight from the freezer, it's the ultimate frozen meat pup-cicle.

They came in especially handy when our girls were going through their "I want attention now, and now, and now, and NOW, NOW, NOW, NOW" phase.

Putting a big towel down is a must with these, though, since as the bones thaw, there's still blood and other goo that can get on the carpet or floor. They'll continue playing with and chewing on the bones long after the marrow is gone, and since the bones have never been cooked, the won't splinter, plus, they're a good source of calcium.

We also treat them from time to time with curly dried beef tendons, but they go through them rather quickly. Another popular treat which we tried once is a bull "pizzle" (the part that makes the bull the bull). They tend to get greasy and stink to high heaven but dogs love them. I put the kabash on that though because I couldn't get past the gross factor.

They also get the occasional treat of cooked chicken, a cooked salmon (if we have leftovers), and they love sweet potato.

FRISKY
01-01-2008, 10:34 AM
We have a half dozen full grown Great Danes that eat pretty much anything. They like pieces of the house, cars, bones, tires, wiring, trees, roots, any and all human food, rope, etc. Wood and plastic turn signal lenses are some of their favorites (They love the amber ones, but not the red ones. Really...!) They never eat small animals but have killed some birds and moles they caught by drowning them in slobber. They also like any vegetables, fruits, cheese and hot sauce.

I should probably also mention they like peanut butter. They like peanut butter a lot. They pretty much like peanut butter more than anything else in the world. Peanut butter is the equivalent of dog heroin. They will do ANYTHING for peanut butter! It’s funny to watch their eyes roll back in their heads and see them go into something akin to a drug induced hypnotic state when they eat peanut butter. You can get a Great Dane to balance on his head and break-dance if he thinks he will get a spoonful of Peter Pan.

OKCCrime
01-01-2008, 11:38 AM
they love sweet potato.

That sounds worth a try. Raw or Cooked? If cooked, how?

Thanks!
OKCcrime

OKCCrime
01-01-2008, 11:41 AM
I should probably also mention they like peanut butter. They like peanut butter a lot. They pretty much like peanut butter more than anything else in the world. Peanut butter is the equivalent of dog heroin. They will do ANYTHING for peanut butter! It’s funny to watch their eyes roll back in their heads and see them go into something akin to a drug induced hypnotic state when they eat peanut butter. You can get a Great Dane to balance on his head and break-dance if he thinks he will get a spoonful of Peter Pan.

Yeah, peanut butter has been a life saver here too. Put peanut butter on any, less than thrilling chew toy, and he'll be at it for hours.

OKCcrime

BTW, 6 great danes.... wow!

FritterGirl
01-01-2008, 02:36 PM
That sounds worth a try. Raw or Cooked? If cooked, how?

Thanks!
OKCcrime

I've never tried the raw sweet potato. Just basic "baked" sweet potato, which I'll let cool, then will give her a tablespoon or two in her bowl. The soft food we give to them in their kibble, as well as some of the treats we give them (both Wellness brand), both contain sweet potato.

We used to call our first girl, Sophie, our "sweet potato girl" because she couldn't get enough of them. She knows when I'm baking them and will come sniffing around the oven.

PRWebber
01-29-2008, 01:59 PM
My two dogs ( a Leonburger and a lab) both love lettuce and string cheese. Then again... they love to eat just about anything!

OKCCrime
01-29-2008, 08:15 PM
My two dogs ( a Leonburger and a lab) both love lettuce and string cheese. Then again... they love to eat just about anything!

Yeah, I believe that cheese, when cubed relatively small is the ultimate training treat. Meat is too slimy, kibble too chewy, and lettuce ... mine just won't eat it. :)

Okccrime

Tex
01-29-2008, 08:28 PM
My dog likes to play with ice cubes on the kitchen floor. No extra calories and it keeps him busy trying to catch it from slipping out of his paws. I gave him gummy bears one time as an experiment but he wasn't to crazy about them.

Lauri101
01-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Callie, our "Weegie" (Norwegian Forest Cat) likes to eat spaghetti sauce, Wolf brand chili, Velveeta Queso dip and tuna salad. She will eat around the onion pieces, but loves the dill relish.

All the cats like fried chicken, particularly the skin.

mcbee04
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
My cocker spaniel loves apples. I can't eat one in peace when he's around, so I've taken to cutting him off little slices. He also likes grapes, which are a toy as well as snack because he has trouble keeping them from popping out of his mouth and has to chase it around a bit before eating. I didn't even know dogs liked fruit, but this one does.

PRWebber
02-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I believe that cheese, when cubed relatively small is the ultimate training treat. Meat is too slimy, kibble too chewy, and lettuce ... mine just won't eat it. :)

Okccrime

You're so right about a great training treat. I've attended a few puppie classes and both times the teachers suggested the string cheese. Works great and it's good for them!

PRWebber
02-11-2008, 01:44 PM
My dog likes to play with ice cubes on the kitchen floor. No extra calories and it keeps him busy trying to catch it from slipping out of his paws. I gave him gummy bears one time as an experiment but he wasn't to crazy about them.

My dogs love ice cubes. They both hang out under the ice dispenser in hopes of dropped pieces. Unfortunately, my Leonburger vomits from the cold of the ice, so needless to say, he doesn’t get much.

jsibelius
06-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Anything with ranch dressing, just like their human.

And poop. But I'm coming to find that's more common than I would have thought...

FritterGirl
06-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Anything with ranch dressing, just like their human.

And poop. But I'm coming to find that's more common than I would have thought...

The poop-eating is can be fixed with a simple pill called "Deter." That, and frequent back-yard patrols. Our dogs won't eat each others' droppings, but they'll go after the cat poo in a second if I don't keep the utility room door closed, and the cat box clean.

As for ice cubes, I read a trick once about pouring chicken broth into an ice tray and freezing small "cubes" of it. The dogs love it, and it helps cool them down when then get a bit overheated in the hot sun.

jsibelius
06-16-2008, 01:38 PM
The poop-eating is can be fixed with a simple pill called "Deter." That, and frequent back-yard patrols. Our dogs won't eat each others' droppings, but they'll go after the cat poo in a second if I don't keep the utility room door closed, and the cat box clean.

As for ice cubes, I read a trick once about pouring chicken broth into an ice tray and freezing small "cubes" of it. The dogs love it, and it helps cool them down when then get a bit overheated in the hot sun.

Never heard of the pill. Hmm...

In any case, we don't have a fenced yard. The dogs are always on a leash unless we're at the dog park, unlike our neighbors' dogs (and cats). So naturally, there's poop everywhere. But since they're always on leashes, I've trained them to leave it on the ground. Now if I could similarly train my shoe...

okiemom
07-02-2008, 07:54 AM
I have two corgis who love apples slices, carrots and frozen green beens. Both are excellent treats for dogs that have weight problems.
Other than that, I won't give them table food. We have a vet that made it clear they shouldn't eat the same thing we do. The only reason I let them have the apples, carrots and green beans is because the breeder we bought the youngest dog from told us it would help control his weight.
If you're not familiar with corgis, they can quickly put on the pounds.

okiemom
07-02-2008, 07:57 AM
The same here with the ice. Sometimes I'll fill their water dish with crushed ice. They love it. I won't give them the large cubes because I'm afraid they'll choke but the crushed ice is great.
By the way, a cup of crushed ice is perfect for when your traveling with them.

AFCM
07-02-2008, 08:14 AM
I think my dog will eat anything if I let her, so this one isn't weird at all: popcorn.

She likes movie time.

Euphoria
07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
My Schipperke will eat anything I eat. She's eaten jalapenos, brocolli (oddly enough she loves it), cauliflower, carob chip cookies (sparingly, although she needed to put on some weight when I got her from the pound), and edamame.

kevinpate
07-02-2008, 08:34 PM
wth is it with dogs and cat poo anyway? Is there anything more vile than cat poo on the face of the planet?

westsidesooner
12-08-2008, 10:09 AM
wth is it with dogs and cat poo anyway? Is there anything more vile than cat poo on the face of the planet?

Kinda grossed out after reading the poo eating comments.....bet that makes for some good doggy breath. But in answer to your question a few things come to mind. 1. Male cat piss. My neutered male 4 year old cat has piss that could knock you out. I swear its like ammonia. Thank god for clumping litter. 2. Projectile cat vomit. My 10 year old female cat has problems keeping her food down. Sometimes she look like a frickin fountain when she spews. Makes for a most unpleasent experience if it happens during MY dinner. 3. Baby poo

In regards to the Original question..cheese and bacon and ice cream. And they also went crazy over the smell of turkey cooking all day.

TaoMaas
12-08-2008, 10:19 AM
My wife has a cat that loves green olives. It's like a drug to him. His eyes glaze over and he just kinda goes weird after eating one. So much so that now I refer to olives as "kitty crack".

nik4411
12-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I have a beautiful female weimaraner, and she will eat anything in the world, except for mushrooms. Sometimes, when we have beef tips and rice with the mushroom gravy, i'll put the gravy in her food. When I look at her bowl when shes done the bowl is licked clean except for the mushrooms.

But she loves bread, popcorn, baby rabbits, and quail heads. She's a great bird dog, and she loves to quail hunt with me, and every bird we get i always pop the head off and she loves it, also keeps her energy up, and its a treat for her finding the birds, pointing, and retrieving the kill.

JakeZula
12-12-2008, 10:15 AM
My old family cat(now deceased) loved sliced cantaloupe. I thought it was the strangest thing ever. The (German shorthaired pionter) family dog's favorite treats in the world are Cheez-Its. He will drool all over your leg if you're eating a box of them, and he's not typically a drooler.

Now I have a cat, a snake, and a bearded dragon. The cat once ate a rat I was keeping as food for my snake and left a big blood spot on my living room floor. That was pretty disturbing.

The bearded dragon eats some gross stuff, too. His favorite veggies are green beans, and he likes typical dragon food-crickets and mealworms. I just recently discovered canned dragonfly larvae, which he loves even though they're pre-killed.

JakeZula
12-12-2008, 10:18 AM
I left out the best parts! The same family dog that loves Cheez-Its also has a knack for finding goodies in the wild. After we let him out one winter day, he came back into our yard with a frozen deer head! The antlers had been cut off, and the head was apparently just tossed in the alley.

Another time we let him run around the neighborhood and he came back with a bunch of fresh pork chops still in the package. His teeth didn't even puncture the cellophane. We cooked them for him as a reward, though we probably ruined some poor neighbor's barbecue.

OKCisOK4me
12-12-2008, 01:09 PM
My dog now, he'll eat almost anything, but he absolutely loves eating salad. I mean I've seen a dog eat grass in the lawn like a cow would. But to eat full fledges green leaves and tomatoes is pretty funny. He also likes grapes.

taylor83
12-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Our dog loves ice cubes too. When she hears them "dangle" in the glass, her ears perk up and just stares until you give one to her. She will also run to the kitchen if any drop to the floor. She's also a huge fan of popcorn.

grantgeneral78
12-22-2008, 07:04 AM
I know this is gross, but when we had a small boston terrier a few years back, we would let him in the house from time to time to play with the kids. It would never fail as hard as we tried to keep him from it he would go straight for the cat`s litter box and eat the remnants from the cat! EWWW. W-e called it cat jerkey with sprinkles!

Bostonfan
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
I know this is gross, but when we had a small boston terrier a few years back, we would let him in the house from time to time to play with the kids. It would never fail as hard as we tried to keep him from it he would go straight for the cat`s litter box and eat the remnants from the cat! EWWW. W-e called it cat jerkey with sprinkles!

Mine does the same thing. What is it about cat poo??? I just don't get it..

grantgeneral78
12-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Mine does the same thing. What is it about cat poo??? I just don't get it..

I dont know but he just lovedddd it .....another thing I forgot about he had just ate his cat delicacy when my cousins husband came over and he just loved BOOTS. Well he picked BOOTS up and tossed him up in the air above his head a few times, I could see BOOTS turning pale and out came the recycled jerky all over his head and shoulders hahaha....He never tossed boots after that day ...makes ya kinda go hmmm.

:LolLolLol

Windshieldsplatter
01-07-2009, 11:48 AM
My cat and dogs love grapefruit. I can't stand the stuff but they will go crazy for it. They will drink juice or eat it from the fruit. Strange I know.