View Full Version : Macy's at Crossroads is closing

Pages : [1] 2

Moondog
12-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Macy's, Inc. to Close Nine Stores
CINCINNATI, Dec 28, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Macy's, Inc. (NYSE:M) today announced the closing of nine underperforming Macy's stores. They are located in:

* Washington Square, Indianapolis, IN (152,000 square feet; 90 employees; opened in 1974);
* Prien Lake Mall, Lake Charles, LA (116,000 square feet; 75 employees; opened in 2003);
* Rolling Acres Mall, Akron, OH (103,000 square feet; 84 employees; opened in 1978);
* Canton Centre, Canton, OH (120,000 square feet; 76 employees; opened in 1968);
* Randall Park Mall, North Randall, OH (184,000 square feet; 91 employees; opened in 1976);
* Crossroads Mall, Oklahoma City, OK (153,000 square feet; 84 employees; opened in 1986);
* Valley View Center, Dallas, TX (300,000 square feet; 132 employees; opened in 1973);
* Sharpstown Center, Houston, TX (308,000 square feet; 172 employees; opened in 1961);
* Family Center at Riverdale, Riverdale, UT (140,000 square feet; 95 employees; opened in 2003).

Final clearance sales at these stores will begin on varying schedules within the next several weeks.

"While the decision to close stores is difficult, it is necessary that we do so selectively in locations with declining sales and where we have been unable to identify sufficient growth opportunities," said Terry J. Lundgren, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Macy's, Inc. "At the same time, we continue to open new Macy's store locations in communities where we believe we can operate successfully."

The company opened 10 new stores and one furniture gallery in 2007. In 2008, Macy's, Inc. expects to open five stores, with an additional six to eight new locations currently planned for 2009.

Associates displaced by store closings will be offered positions in nearby stores where possible. Associates who are laid off in this process will be provided severance benefits and outplacement assistance.

Macy's, Inc., with corporate offices in Cincinnati and New York, is one of the nation's premier retailers, with fiscal 2006 sales of $27 billion. The company operates more than 850 department stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico under the names of Macy's and Bloomingdale's. The company also operates macys.com, bloomingdales.com and Bloomingdale's By Mail. Prior to June 1, 2007, Macy's, Inc. was known as Federated Department Stores, Inc.

All statements in this press release that are not statements of historical fact are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements are based upon the current beliefs and expectations of Macy's management and are subject to significant risks and uncertainties. Actual results could differ materially from those expressed in or implied by the forward-looking statements contained in this release because of a variety of factors, including conditions to, or changes in the timing of, proposed transactions, prevailing interest rates, competitive pressures from specialty stores, general merchandise stores, manufacturers' outlets, off-price and discount stores, new and established forms of home shopping (including the Internet, mail-order catalogs and television) and general consumer spending levels, including the impact of the availability and level of consumer debt, the effect of weather and other factors identified in documents filed by the company with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

(NOTE: Additional information on Macy's, Inc., including past news releases, is available at Macy's, Inc. Press Room - Macy's, Inc. (http://www.macysinc.com/pressroom))

SOURCE: Macy's, Inc.

Who didn't see this coming??

Midtowner
12-28-2007, 02:03 PM
No surprise there.

Look for a more market-appropriate tenant like "40's & Knives" to move in.

solitude
12-28-2007, 02:11 PM
One thing kind of sad about that list is that I see the Sharpstown store in Houston is on the list. If I'm not mistaken, I think that was Foley's first store outside of the founding location for Foley's in downtown Houston. It was the first "real" Foley's as we knew it. Macy's, of course, bought Foley's.

Karried
12-28-2007, 04:11 PM

lol - or Kevlars R Us

Just teasing.. I think the area has been really improving lately. But, it's hard to lose a reputation sometimes.

Maybe with all of the new theater and retail coming in, the surrounding neighborhoods will get a better rap.

yukong
12-28-2007, 06:11 PM
What's sad is that it seems that Quail Springs is now going down the CrossRoads path.

Last night, we went out to my wife's favorite store...Eddie Bauer to find her something new. When we walked in...there was a sign at the front saying that the store was closing down the Quail location. I located an employee and asked them why they were closing. She told me that when Eddie Bauer went to renew their lease in October, they were informed that the mall had already leased their location to another store. The rumor is that it will be a "Forever 21". The employee told me that Quail management was wanting to bring in more stores that cater to the young, hip hop crowd.

Well, as we then walked around the mall, we began seeing what I had believed was coming true...there are more young hip hoppers than there are adults. I know this sounds bad, but it seems that the Latino gangs may have run the hip hop gangs off from Cross Roads, and up to Quail. It looked like a Crips/Bloods convention at Quail last night. I guess I will now have to do all my shopping at Penn Square.

poe
12-28-2007, 06:29 PM
The Eddie Bauer store here in Amarillo closed for a period of time because of the same lease issue. I believe the store in Lubbock closed as well. But, they both eventually reopened in new spaces, which were nicer than the previous. So, hopefully the one at Quail Springs will do the same.

As far as Crossroads goes, it's retail dead weight.

Architect2010
12-28-2007, 06:45 PM
nah... the Southsiders didnt run the B/C's off. North Side has always had more of a black population. While the South Side is well Southside territory I guess. I'll tell you B/C's are not afraid of some small time gang.

But I don't necessarily think Quail Springs is gonna go the path of crossroads. That mall is just too beautiful and has so many top tier stores. It definitely won't go the way of Crossroads anytime soon. It has stores that Crossroads never even had a chance of getting and some of them are just generic yet poular stores and if Crossroads couldn't get those stores in its Golden Years, then how was it ever going to maintain the mainstream crowd???

Pete
12-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Malls all over the country are really struggling and I suspect QS is going to face new challenges with the new village concept (with IMAX) proposed north of there.

There is a big trend away from traditional department stores and boutiques and towards big box discounters. When you look at all the big chains stores that have opened up all over the city, you realize that the population has not grown enough to absorb them, so they are stealing business from others.

Many of the malls here in Southern California have been reconstructed to be "lifestyle centers" with elaborate theaters and full-scale restaurants. It's probably too late for Crossroads and the one in MWC is already gone, but QS and Penn Square are probably going to have to reinvent themselves in the near future.

oneforone
12-28-2007, 09:25 PM
I think Toys R Us or Best Buy will be the next to leave the Crossroads area. Dillards will probably stick it out for awhile but not any longer than shortly after next Christmas.

Karried
12-28-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree about the decline of malls .. I think it has a lot to do with convenience and the internet also. It seems lately that I can go online and do all my shopping (in my pajamas if it's late at night), have it delivered to my door, wallah.. I'm done.

But, I have to add, I'm at Quail quite often because our family enjoys movies and we live pretty close ... granted, I'm usually not there late at night, but I've never felt the presence of 'gangs'.. then again, I might not recognize them if I see them, I'm from CA.. we have real gangs there, lol.

oneforone
12-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Not to wish ill will on the business of Crossroads but... I wish it would close down. I think it would be an excellent site for a hospital, a new community college or better yet a senior living center like Touchmark at Coffee Creek, Epworth Villa, Conchordia or St. Ann's.

kmf563
12-29-2007, 07:10 AM
I don't see Quail being taken over by gangs. It's too far away from their "hubs". It's more likely to be run by little hoodlums and punk kids that are bored. Penn Square mall had a huge problem with this back in the early 1990s and it took a few years and some extra security but they finally got rid of that problem. Stores like Eddie Bauer lose credibility and a lot of snooty shoppers when they sell out to places like Target.

Karried - as for the gangs, you would be surprised. Not much going on around our bit of town, but Oklahoma has their own gang task force which is fulltime and very active. We have more latino, asian, and native american gangs than the blood/crip type (these are here too) but they are and can be very dangerous. In the year 2007 they have gotten smarter with identifying marks and clothing. They have implemented technology and are able to smuggle drugs and weapons much easier with the war going on in. You can do a ride along with our oklahoma city police officers anytime - try going on one with someone from the springlake or santa fe department. eek! We stay on the national mark with both major interstates going through oklahoma city. It seems to be a meeting place for both coasts which can get messy.

Karried
12-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Yes, lol, I'm not dissing your gangs here!

Seriously, I know there is a gang problem in OK .. just maybe not as prevalent or obvious to someone like me who doesn't venture very far from the burbs.

When I used to sell real estate, I saw quite a bit of OK - some areas are really poverty stricken ... I tend to associate socioeconomically disadvantaged youth with a higher risk of gang membership. I've heard that they get a sense of belonging that they don't get from their parents ( who are sometimes drugged out or live a life of crime themselves). Some of that is true I imagine but some of it is just stupid choices, drugs and crime.

People ask why we chose Edmond/suburbs when we moved here... I guess this is one of the reasons.

So, when people say they see 'gangs' in Quail, it gives me a chuckle. In five years, I've never seen anything remotely close to what I saw in CA... but then again, I'm not out Fri/Sat night at the malls.... so it may be true.

I absolutely can't stand the thought of gangs, with their drive bys and retaliation killings. Such a waste of a life, youth, time and effort.

Do a gang search/crime stats in the area I used to live. I lived about 45 min from Salinas....it got really bad the years prior to us moving, so we packed up the moving van and here we are.

masonsmomma
12-29-2007, 08:07 AM
I work at Penn Square and it's no different there. It's getting worse on the weekends. I do know that Penn's goal is to market to middle age women. That's why my store, Suncoast is closing, unless a miracle happens we are closing sometime in Jan. I have not heard what's moving into our location, but I think they have a buyer already set up. It's horrible, as they are eliminating movie and music stores from all the OKC malls. I'm hoping at least the Quail location stays open!

yukong
12-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Karried:

We do have a much bigger gang problem here than most people know. I used to be a prosecutor, and now do criminal defense (only first degree murder) work, and several of my cases involve gang related matters. The worst gangs we have here are the Latino and Asian gangs (as far as I can see). Most of the black gangs are really pretty tame compared to the Latino gangs. Not nearly as sophisticated. Now, sometimes that lack of sophistication leads to some gang members being more dangerous because they do things that are stupid, whereas the more sophisticated gangs do their dirty work just for business. The most dangerous gang, (as rated by the FBI) is the MS13 bunch. Mara Salvatrucha. They are a vile bunch. But their violence is rarely (around here) aimed at the normal joe citizen. Unless it's for business purposes. They are very sophisticated (like the mafia), have very strict rules of operation, and use violence as a business tool, and as punishment toward their own members and those that cross them.

The gangsters that I see late evenings at Quail, are more or less wannabe gangsters. They are more a nuisance than a danger.

My real complaint earlier in this thread is that it seems that Quail is trying to cater more to that younger, hip hop crowd than to us older folks. Even in Macy's and Dillard's, I noticed the men's departments were showcasing the hip hop clothing styles up front more than the traditional stuff. I'm a traditional clothing sort. If I'm not in a suit, I'm in jeans and sweatshirts. (Normal sweatshirts). I wear my pants pulled up to my waist, my shirts don't hang down to my knees, and my ball caps all have the bill in the front and not on the sides. But hey, as I said, I'm an old guy. But there are a lot more of them as Quail than there were just a couple of years ago. But you have to go later in the evening to see them. I was there this past Thursday evening from about 7:30 till close and there were just groups of hip hoppers (4-5) per group that were just walking around, all dressed in their various hip hop garb. Not causing any real trouble, just a lot of them around in groups hanging out.

Superhyper
12-29-2007, 07:53 PM
I think you'll see that activity anywhere in an area where there might not be enough for young people in the area to do. When the mall is the only real place to hang out with your peer group, of course you're going to get all sorts of undesirables. Promenade in Tulsa dealt with this in Tulsa by setting a curfew of 6 p.m. for people under 18, and slowing phasing out youth-oriented stores. I'm not entirely sure I agree with this approach, because while I agree they can be a nuisance, the mall is at least a relatively safe place for young people to be. I think the area (both Crossroads and Quail Springs) need more areas targeted at the youth crowd.

MadMonk
12-29-2007, 11:37 PM
No surprise there.

That was comedy gold!

lol - or Kevlars R Us

Just teasing.. I think the area has been really improving lately. But, it's hard to lose a reputation sometimes.

Maybe with all of the new theater and retail coming in, the surrounding neighborhoods will get a better rap.
It's even harder to lose when it's true (at least the last time I visited that mall - over a year ago). It used to be one of my favorites. So sad. :(

What's sad is that it seems that Quail Springs is now going down the CrossRoads path.

I have to agree somewhat. My neighbor was just talking about a fight he observed there recently that looked like something out of south-central L.A. (without the firearms). Apparently, blood was spilled in that one but, nothing too serious. Security was all over it, and it was almost more than they could handle.

I agree about the decline of malls .. I think it has a lot to do with convenience and the internet also. It seems lately that I can go online and do all my shopping (in my pajamas if it's late at night), have it delivered to my door, wallah ... I'm done.

But, I have to add, I'm at Quail quite often because our family enjoys movies and we live pretty close ... granted, I'm usually not there late at night, but I've never felt the presence of 'gangs'.. then again, I might not recognize them if I see them, I'm from CA.. we have real gangs there, lol.

That's the same way I am. Throughout this entire holiday season - which besides Christmas includes two family birthdays - I never once stepped into Quail Springs Mall. I think that's a first for me. Come to think about it, the only times in the last six months that I've been in the mall was to see a movie. Online shopping is getting bigger and bigger and I think that traditional retail companies are underestimating the value people get from free shipping and no sales taxes (although the lack of a sales tax doesn't apply to online sites that have a physical presence locally).

Karried
12-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Not trying to stray too far but since we were talking about gangs, I thought it was ironic that this article came out today.. courtesy of my hometown newspaper.

It's funny, people always teased us for moving out of the Bay Area ....(heard every 'hick' / 'redneck' joke known to man) like it was such a superior place to the rest of the country. It seemed that they thought we were going backwards in our lives... But most have never lived anywhere else so they can't compare.

I'm so happy with our choice to raise our children in this environment compared to that one.

http://www.mercurynews.com/localnewsheadlines/ci_7842785

Karried
12-30-2007, 09:09 AM
And here's the other side OK:

$2.5 million to be used against gangs

By Jay F. Marks
Staff Writer
Oklahoma City officials are working together to get their money's worth out of a $2.5 million anti-gang grant. That may sound like a lot of money, but U.S. Attorney John Richter said it can dry up quickly without doing anyone any good if it is not spent wisely.
http://promos.newsok.com/adview.php?what=zone:485&n=aec40758 (http://promos.newsok.com/adclick.php?n=aec40758)

"We've done a lot of homework,” Richter said, adding they're trying to figure out how to spend that money over the next three years.
Officials are focusing their efforts in an economically depressed area on the east side of Oklahoma City, where income is half the city's average. It is also the site of a disproportionate amount of gang violence.
"It's currently the most violent area in Oklahoma City,” he said. "We start with the presumption that any level of violence is intolerable.”
Richter said he knows the grant money won't solve the city's gang problem, but he hopes it can provide a foundation for long-term investment in blighted parts of the community.

A city struggling
Richter said he noticed the city was struggling with a gang violence rise when he returned to Oklahoma City in September 2005 as U.S. attorney, but there was no coordinated effort to address it.
That changed in May 2006 with the creation of the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Gang Task Force, a two-pronged approach that includes prevention programs and increased coordination among local law enforcement agencies. But there wasn't a lot of money to bolster its efforts, he said.
The first attempt to snare a Justice Department anti-gang grant was unsuccessful, but that same application was approved in April.
Since the award was announced in a visit by former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, Richter said officials have worked behind the scenes to figure out the best way to use the money.
The steering committee includes a cross section of community leaders, from Mayor Mick Cornett to Oklahoma City Public Schools Superintendent John Porter, as well as pastors M.L. Jemison and Theodis Manning.
Jemison and Manning head St. John Missionary Baptist Church and Divine Wisdom Worship Center, two of the churches that serve the east Oklahoma City neighborhoods that authorities are targeting in their anti-gang efforts.
Richter said community leaders like Jemison and Manning need to be involved in the anti-gang program if it is to be successful.
He said meetings so far have shown nearly universal support for additional programs that can steer young people away from gangs or help recently released prison inmates acclimate to society without returning to their criminal roots.
Such efforts may be vital. "You can't solve it all through enforcement,” Richter said.

brianinok
12-30-2007, 04:34 PM
I expect an announcement from Macy's that they will open a new store at the pending lifestyle center in Norman (University Northpark) when the developer announces who will be enhabiting the center. I figure it's 2-3 years away from completion, though.

BG918
12-30-2007, 04:48 PM
^ I also think Norman will have a Macy's at UNP in the next 2-3 years. I think UNP ends up causing the closures of both Crossroads and Sooner Mall in Norman and will have a mix of run-of-the-mill chain stores like you see at Crossroads and Sooner as well as some higher end stores. I'm of the opinion Crossroads should be redeveloped into a mixed-use lifestyle center and the actual mall torn down. The same goes for Sooner Mall, except not a retail center but more of a residential development. Crossroad's location is too good for there not to be a retail presence there, and once commuter rail is up and going there could be a stop there as the BNSF tracks run right next to the property.

HOT ROD
12-31-2007, 02:43 AM
I echo BG!!

Hopefully Crossroads could become a regional lifestyle retail concept and tie in its transportation focus!! That would be a first in the state.

Moondog
12-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Honestly, I can't imagine Crossroads ever becoming a popular place to shop ever again because of its location. It's right next to Valley Brook (aka Strip Club City) and then there's the city dump in plain sight of the mall, just to the east. The neighborhoods all around the mall are really bad, and getting worse. I've actually seen prostitutes walking the streets in that area, and if anyone's been to the Wal-Mart just down the road at 240 and Santa Fe, you'd know just how bad this area has become. I don't even feel safe driving in that area.

It's really sad that its gotten this way. I remember going to that mall when I was a teenager and it was a pretty hoppin' place. But I wouldn't step a foot in there now! The best we could realistically hope for would be for the site to be redeveloped into an office complex like Shepard Mall, or turned into an industrial park. I just don't see it as an appealing place for any retailer or business.

And in 15-20 years, we'll be saying the same things about Quail. (It's coming.) Take a drive south of Memorial and you'll find a lot of the apartment complexes have gone way down hill. 122nd & Penn has gotten a reputation as the new hood. I've talked to a lot of people who say they've moved away from that area because it's gotten so bad.

I can imagine something along the lines of a "lifestyle" center going in somewhere west of Gaillardia, off the turnpike. Or in Edmond. Something is going to be built someday that will kill Quail Springs and turn it into the new Crossroads.

soonerliberal
12-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Crossroads is toast in its current form. When the most attractive building in the area is a traditional Best Buy, there are some obvious problems. Its location with Valley Brook, the landfill, and two freeways surrounding it do not provide a good opportunity for growth. The positive demographics are continuing a steady decline that began years ago, as higher incomes are moving south and west. I honestly believe Crossroads would be a good southside commuter rail hub, with some revitalized shopping in the area.

I don't think the I-240 area nor Quail Springs has an imminent death on the horizon. It is true that the area north of I-240 and west of I-35 has become Oklahoma City's own significant Hispanic district that began its decline way before the demographics began to change. However, south of 240 is still thriving with a large middle to upper class population that retail loves. Until there is more along the I-44 southwest areas, its reasonable to assume that the I-240 area will continue to be just fine. The Walmart leaves much to be desired, but that is because it is the nearest one to most people in the inner southside. If there was a Supercenter somewhere on 29th or 44th street, I imagine conditions would improve dramatically. I never have felt unsafe along I-240 or areas immediately surrounding it. There may be a few older cars driving around, but that doesn't necessarily mean each one has an owner with a 9mm ready to cap me.

As for Quail, areas in all directions have a continuing rise in income and while there are some apartments that are beginning to show their age, I do not see anything negative coming of that within the foreseeable future. 122nd and Penn is as much of a 'hood as Nichols Hills is imo. Go to the real inner city and you will see the 'hood.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-01-2008, 08:13 AM
I feel safer around Crossroads than I do around some areas of the NW side of town. I shop in there fairly frequently (it's less than 10 minutes from my house), and I've never had a problem. I know it's on the decline and just about dead, but that doesn't mean that Dillards doesn't carry Born shoes or that I can't go in to buy my weekly 10 lbs of Jelly Bellies.

As for the area, Hispanic populations != danger. I've never had a Hispanic person cause me one bit of trouble. Not once. And I've lived in the mecca for illegals (San Diego). I've been robbed at gunpoint by a black person just off of NW Expressway though (around Britton and MacArther). Stuck a 1911 Colt in my face and took the weedeater out of the back of my truck.

People somehow think that the southside is crime-laden and has all sorts of problems. All I see is a lot of low-income people that are just trying to get by for the most part. Is there crime? Sure. But it's hardly a geographic thing. I'd rather live at SW 44th and Penn than the west side of downtown OKC.

And BG918, have you been in Sooner Fashion Mall lately? No WAY does that mall close any time soon. It's packed full of people spending money every day. Not hanging out...Spending money. Heck, even Sears is crowded there.

Jesseda
01-01-2008, 10:30 AM
BEST BUY IS PLANNED TO CLOSE IT DOORS SOON.. The i-240 and i-35 re alignment that will take place hopefully in the next 5 years lol.. well the re alingment phase will be using up the best buy, the shopping center beside it, the gymnastic place, the old burger king, all that area will be the new insterstate entrances exits ramps..etc..best buy is lanning on building a store in moore off of 19th street by the home depot...so with best buy leaving the crossroads area, and the new warren theater which will make that other theater at crossroads close its doors as well.. it looks to me crossroads will be no more in about 3 years or less

SeinfeldBlock
01-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Crossroads needs help. Part of the reason why everyone calls it "ghetto" is because it hasn't been updated! It's so dark and dim in there it's not any fun to shop. I do think that Quail may face similar problems--mainly because I used to live at 122nd & Penn (it's not the best of neighborhoods) and I would go to Quail regularly. I just see some similar problems that I noticed in Crossroads before the decline.

Soonerliberal--122nd & Penn is NOT a good neighborhood. Granted, it may be better than other parts of the metro, but I lived there and was broken into 3 times, once robbed at gunpoint. People were murdered there. I've never seen such a decent place go down the drain so quickly. Have you been to the Wal-Mart at Penn/Memorial? Not much better!

jbrown84
01-02-2008, 09:35 AM
That's why my store, Suncoast is closing, unless a miracle happens we are closing sometime in Jan. I have not heard what's moving into our location, but I think they have a buyer already set up.

I noticed they were having a liquidation sale. So the lease was not renewed because they are bringing in something else?

If Quail has gotten a Forever 21, that will be a major steal from Penn. I would have expected Penn or Spring Creek in Edmond to get that store before Quail. Oh, and that's not a "hiphop" store.

oneforone
01-03-2008, 12:36 AM
BEST BUY IS PLANNED TO CLOSE IT DOORS SOON.. The i-240 and i-35 re alignment that will take place hopefully in the next 5 years lol.. well the re alingment phase will be using up the best buy, the shopping center beside it, the gymnastic place, the old burger king, all that area will be the new insterstate entrances exits ramps..etc..best buy is lanning on building a store in moore off of 19th street by the home depot...so with best buy leaving the crossroads area, and the new warren theater which will make that other theater at crossroads close its doors as well.. it looks to me crossroads will be no more in about 3 years or less

I cannot see Best Buy moving all the way to Moore without adding a new South OKC store. I am wondering if what you heard might have been confused with the Home Depot Store southside.

My sister's friend works at Outback Steakhouse off of 240 and Penn. Home Depot has purchased the property their located on. I heard Best Buy has plans to build next to the new Home Depot. I am not saying they will not build in Moore. I am just wondering if the rumor mill might have twisted what I heard.

Architect2010
01-03-2008, 01:27 AM
After Macy's I see A.E. or Pac Sun leaving soon too. After A.E. and Pac Sun are gone expect Crossroads to lose a lot of its teenage shoppers.

Jesseda
01-03-2008, 07:40 AM
oneforone, this is what i heard from a employee at city hall in moore, she might be wrong, but i would think if it was talked about in city hall it would have more truth than rumor spreading, plus the citizens in moore do not havea electronic store except for walmart which is a joke, moore is getting a lot of stuff that southside is losing, southside okc doesnt have jcpennies they moved to moore...

SeinfeldBlock
01-03-2008, 07:50 AM
I don't want Best Buy to move next to Home Depot in Moore (esp on the west side). Those apartment complexes will go down the drain if they get a bunch of junk next to them and then we're stuck with junky apartments and a lot of retail crap.

jbkrems
01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
It is likely that Best Buy would move into a Home Depot strip center. Look at the Home Depot strip center near May Ave. and 63rd (down the street from the now closing CompUSA store). There is a Best Buy near the Home Depot. Also, up near Quail Springs Mall, there is also a Best Buy and Circuit City that has opened near the Home Depot on North Penn Ave. So it would make sense Best Buy would open a store near a Home Depot, around I-240 and Penn.

BG918
01-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I feel safer around Crossroads than I do around some areas of the NW side of town. I shop in there fairly frequently (it's less than 10 minutes from my house), and I've never had a problem. I know it's on the decline and just about dead, but that doesn't mean that Dillards doesn't carry Born shoes or that I can't go in to buy my weekly 10 lbs of Jelly Bellies.

As for the area, Hispanic populations != danger. I've never had a Hispanic person cause me one bit of trouble. Not once. And I've lived in the mecca for illegals (San Diego). I've been robbed at gunpoint by a black person just off of NW Expressway though (around Britton and MacArther). Stuck a 1911 Colt in my face and took the weedeater out of the back of my truck.

People somehow think that the southside is crime-laden and has all sorts of problems. All I see is a lot of low-income people that are just trying to get by for the most part. Is there crime? Sure. But it's hardly a geographic thing. I'd rather live at SW 44th and Penn than the west side of downtown OKC.

And BG918, have you been in Sooner Fashion Mall lately? No WAY does that mall close any time soon. It's packed full of people spending money every day. Not hanging out...Spending money. Heck, even Sears is crowded there.

I realize Sooner Mall is busy NOW, but what about when UNP opens its lifestyle center? Maybe the two can coexist but I doubt it, especially if one of Sooner's anchors like Dillard's bolts for the newcenter.

metro
01-03-2008, 11:05 AM
So can someone clarify. Is this Best Buy going out of business? If so, when? Are they having any clearance sales?

Martin
01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
metro-
if that best buy does close, i don't see it happening in the immediate future. -M

dismayed
01-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Sooner Mall doesn't have a Macy's. Macy's at Crossroads is going out soon, meaning there won't be a Macy's on the south side and none in the metro that sells furniture. I hope the UNP Mall goes after Macy's, it would be a perfect fit and is something that is unique to Norman and shouldn't complete directly with Sooner Mall.

CCOKC
01-03-2008, 08:37 PM
When driving through Denver a few months ago I noticed a stand alone Macy's in one of the north side suburbs. It would not surprise me at all to see a Macy's at the UNP in the future.

masonsmomma
01-04-2008, 07:15 AM
I noticed they were having a liquidation sale. So the lease was not renewed because they are bringing in something else?

If Quail has gotten a Forever 21, that will be a major steal from Penn. I would have expected Penn or Spring Creek in Edmond to get that store before Quail. Oh, and that's not a "hiphop" store.

Well our last day is Jan. 16th, and rumors are that Forever 21 may come to Penn as well. I don't know why, it does not fit well with their "goals". I'm not sure though, I'm really thinking that they already have someone to take our spot. A girl from another store in the mall came in and told me that there were going to be atleast 2 more empty lots in the mall pretty soon, as a jewelry store was closing and something else. Forever 21 is focused towards "hip" teens though, which is why Quail got them first I think.

yukong
01-04-2008, 07:41 AM
It is likely that Best Buy would move into a Home Depot strip center. Look at the Home Depot strip center near May Ave. and 63rd (down the street from the now closing CompUSA store). There is a Best Buy near the Home Depot. Also, up near Quail Springs Mall, there is also a Best Buy and Circuit City that has opened near the Home Depot on North Penn Ave. So it would make sense Best Buy would open a store near a Home Depot, around I-240 and Penn.

Except, the Bestbuy on N. May was there years before Home Depot came in to that spot. Also, on N. Memorial Road, Bestbuy was there before Home Depot. And in that location, BB is quite a few blocks from HD. BB fronts Memorial, and HD is about 1/4 mile up Penn. Circuit City came in after both, but Bestbuy was in place in both spots before HD. But Bestbuy did go in after HD out on W. I-40 at Rockwell. So, I don't know if there is any connection between BB and HD and their locations other than they are looked at as prime shopping locations. In Norman, BB is close to Lowes and a mile or more from HD.

kmf563
01-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Most people I know on the south side or moore area don't use that best buy next to crossroads mall anyway. They either go to norman or to the one on the I-40 service road.

Sue Branham
01-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Macy's closing at Crossroads:
In response to all the posts on this subject, it is a little known secret that Crossroads is the best place to shop to get clearance items at Dillard’s. I have enjoyed shopping at Crossroads for the past 15 years because it is so easy to get a parking place (especially at Christmas), get in and out, and find great bargains. I've learned in the past couple years that they get the clearance merchandise from the other Dillard's stores in the city and I frequently get 75% or more off. I used to shop some at Foley's and have bought a few things at Macy's but Dillard's carries the brands I like and has better sales. I used to shop at Penney's but once Kohl's came in at Yukon I have given up Penney's. Kohl's has better prices and I can get in and out easier. I noticed when the Penney's at Crossroads closed and the new one opened at Moore it was much smaller and configured much like a Kohl’s' store. I think that's the trend: stop building huge stores in malls and instead streamline stores for stand alone operations.

Another misconception among many is that there is no money on the south side of OKC. I read that there is a higher concentration of wealth South of I-240 between Portland and Shields than any place in OKC. It makes sense if you know the south side. Not only is Rivendell an affluent neighborhood but there are many more similar developments all over that area. Add to that the professionals that live in the area, FAA employees, Tinker AFB employees, formerly GM employees, etc. and you soon see where the wealth comes from.

I grew up on the south side in the late 50's and remember what a great middle class neighborhood Capitol Hill was. It was safe and a good place to raise a family. Even Capitol Hill high school, which supposedly had gang problems, wasn't really a bad school. Mainly, there were some low income kids who made trouble, but not anything compared to what we see all over the city today.

I will shop at Crossroads as long as I can and will be sad if it does eventually close down. If you visit the booming area around SW 19th and I-35 in Moore, you will see where the business is going. I think it's inevitable that Crossroads will close but it's wonderful to see how well Moore is being developed.

I feel safe at Crossroads because the security is good. They patrol a lot and I don't shop after dark anyway as a rule. Also, Oklahoma County sheriff Whetsel has his office in the lower level of Crossroads. The shooting incident that occurred last year was quickly dealt with by that same police force. I get much more nervous at the upscale malls that cater to the wealthy. They seem to have more problems with robberies and purse snatching because they know the clientele have money. Also, the inner city areas seem to have a fair share of crime.
Incidentally, there is a Best Buy on the south side but far west. It’s in the growing shopping area bordered by S. MacArthur and I-40 that will soon have most of the stores that are at Quail Spring's shopping center (not mall.) An outlet mall will be built to the west at Rockwell this year. That should create a lot of new business.

bombermwc
01-14-2008, 10:39 AM
AMEN on Crossroads. Finally someone that see that Crossroads isn't this horrible hole in the universe where you get shot when you visit.

Wake up folks and shop there. It's SOOOO much easier to get in and out of than Penn!!!

Jesseda
01-14-2008, 10:54 AM
yes but there is a lot of stores at crossroads, that are kinda funky, like imation stores.., grant it there is a halmark, a bath and body works ad a victoria secrets, but there is a lot of stores that are just are just like cheap novelty stores..At one point there was 10 stores that where all chinese novelty shops and nail salons. Id rather go to penn square or some other place, Cross roads doesnt have a great kids store, I dont even think they havea childrens clothing store that is not dillards yes only dillards since macys will not be there.

soonerliberal
01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Wake up folks and shop there. It's SOOOO much easier to get in and out of than Penn!!!

That may be because there are only about 6 of the same stores Penn, Quail, or Sooner mall has. The VAST MAJORITY of Crossroads' stores are not mainstream mall stores. The malls share American Eagle, Pac-Sun, Victoria's Secret, Bath and Body, Hot Topic, and Dillards. That is about it. There is no Abercrombie nor Gap at Crossroads. There is no Eddie Bauer nor Express. EVERY OTHER mall in the metro area has those stores. Then you add the JCrew and Banana Republic of the northern OKC malls and the facts are simple: Crossroads does not have the quality stores to shop at like any of the other malls do.

BailJumper
01-14-2008, 01:42 PM
I hear Macy's is kicking off their Store Closing sale today. We got a call from a sales lady in furniture that told us some furniture we were wanting has been marked down.

Going by after work. I imagine the sales are small to start off with.

bdub02
01-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Ah, Macy's closing. I knew this day was coming. With 2 anchors gone, I think its safe to say Crossroads has now reached a point of no return. As somebody above said, I give it 3 years at the most, especially with a recession on the horizon and with that many chain stores will close their underperforming locations. Look for Dillard's to close next, especially with their recent losses I imagine they will be closing underperforming stores. Once the outparcels close i.e. Best Buy and the theater, there will be nothing to sustain retail in that area period.

Does anybody know if the hotels will be torn down as well?

And about Eddie Bauer, I think they are closing all over. The same thing is happening at McCain Mall here in Little Rock, which is our "other" mall similar to Crossroads in OKC. Walk in and it looks like you've gone back to 1989 because they haven't renovated it since the late 80s. I agree that the mall in general is a dying fad. I think we are getting to a point where only the super-trendy malls will survive.

And about Suncoast - the Internet has killed the brick and mortar music and movie stores - same with stores like CompUSA.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-14-2008, 09:50 PM
And about Suncoast - the Internet has killed the brick and mortar music and movie stores - same with stores like CompUSA.

No, prices killed Suncoast. Best Buy and Circuit City blew their prices out of the water. CompUSA too. They charged more than their competitors. The internet probably did have more to do with CompUSA though. Most techies buy their parts online.

I think the parent company for Eddie Bauer (Speigel) was bought out a couple of years ago, so that may have something to do with them.

Moondog
01-14-2008, 10:10 PM
No, prices killed Suncoast. Best Buy and Circuit City blew their prices out of the water.

Suncoast has always been one of those places where I just go to "look around." Never have purchased anything there. Totally agree about the prices killing them. I think the same has happened to all the mall music stores, too. I don't even think Quail has one anymore (anyone remember Disc Jockey?) and it's been a zillion years since I've been to Crossroads, not sure if they have one. I believe Penn has an FYE -- or at least it did.

masonsmomma
01-14-2008, 10:46 PM
No Best Buy bought Suncoast under the company MusicLand and totally screwed them over actually. Our prices maybe somewhat high on somethings, but on New Releases, we are about the same as everyone else. Quail had a Sam Goody until 2006, Penn does not have an FYE, the only 2 are free standing locations on the Expressway and on 1-240 and Penn. No it wasn't our prices that killed us, it was the mall that has another tenant that they wanted to bring in.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Not sure when they bought Suncoast, but I quit going there years ago because of them being consistently MUCH higher on just about everything than most other places. Nice stores, good employees, decent selection (had stuff other than American Pie crap movies), but like I said...The prices drove me, a gross consumer, right out of that place many, many moons ago. Long before I started buying the majority of my stuff online.

jacodenn
01-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Truth be told...Wal-Mart is going to put in a Chinese Outlet Store in Crossroads.

jbrown84
01-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Does anybody know if the hotels will be torn down as well?

There are no plans to tear anything down.

And about Eddie Bauer, I think they are closing all over. The same thing is happening at McCain Mall here in Little Rock, which is our "other" mall similar to Crossroads in OKC. Walk in and it looks like you've gone back to 1989 because they haven't renovated it since the late 80s.

The Quail Springs Eddie Bauer was remodeled just a couple years ago, and from what I understand, it's losing it's lease, not going out of business or being closed by the company.

masonsmomma
01-16-2008, 08:42 AM
As far as Suncoast goes, you may want to give it another shot, if you like buying used merchandise. We started carrying great used titles at a good price. The FYE stores also get a great selection of used, even getting stuff sometimes to the same week it's released. You can trade your stuff in at any of the stores, for cash or credit. The stores are owned by a different company now, and it's better. I agree some of the prices are WAY OVER, but we do have some really good deals. You never know what you will find!

shadow42
01-16-2008, 10:02 AM
It seems so many stores are closing from this post. Is there anywhere nice to shop in upscale stores in the Edmond/OKC area????

jbrown84
01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
There's a collection of upscale national and local retail in the Spring Creek area at 15th & Bryant in Edmond. There's also a plethora of upscale shopping in Penn Square.

Don't let this thread worry you.

Patrick
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread with this comment:

A Forever 21 is on the waiting list at Penn Square.

BTW, Forever 21 also own Gadzooks.

jbrown84
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM
There's at least two empty spaces in Penn. The former Suncoast and the former Victoria's Secret, the latter of which is quite large.

Patrick
01-25-2008, 11:36 AM
The Limited will be moving to the old Victoria's Secret space. They are currently in a temporary space near JC Penney on the first level. Essentially, Victoria's Secret and The Limited swapped spaces to remodel.

Most malls leave a couple of spaces open for temporary tenants, or for displaced tenants. The space currently taken by the temporary limited, and the space currently taken by the calendar store (on the lower level Macy's wing) are their 2 temporary spaces.

Also, the jewelry store on the upper level Dillards wing is now available, although it's a very small space.

Simon is planning a complete overhaul of the fountain in center court. Essentially, the machinery in the old fountain is broken, and they're trying to reconstruct it so it will last longer, and not break down. The same company that built the waterfountain in Bricktown will be working on the fountain at Penn Square. Total price tag is $250,000.

xd0nn4x
01-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Forever 21 is a good store :) i cant wait for that to open