View Full Version : Child care center in Edmond/NW OKC...

SoonerBeerMan
12-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on trying to find a child care center in the Edmond/NW OKC area? My wife and I just found out that she's about 5 weeks pregnant with our first child and figured we better start finding a place now due to waiting lists.

Thanks for any help!!

teacher girl
12-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Well, if money isn't an issue, there is always the Goddard school off Western and just south of 150th. it's REALLY expensive, but REALLY nice!!!

Unfortunately, I have had difficulty finding "quality" childcare around the area as well

There are some other good ones that I have heard of, but they are SOKC

OH, st. lukes downtown (or is that not north enough for you)

Good luck and it's so hard, but remember, you get what you pay for!!!

kmf563
12-28-2007, 07:52 AM
Good idea to start early. I've added a couple of links that are helpful. I always did research on where my son attended. Make sure there weren't any complaints filed with DHS and also followed the star system. OSU/OKC child development center was absolutely wonderful for my son. We still go back and visit the staff.

Another avenue you may want to pursue is if you will still be in your neighborhood and what elementary school they will attend. Lots of daycares work with the schools in providing before and after care and provide transportation. If you can get your child started in with a daycare that would be doing that for you, you would be more comfortable when the time came for your child to be transported by the daycare staff.

Oklahoma Department of Human Services - Oklahoma Child Care Locator (http://204.87.68.21/childcarefind/)

Oklahoma Child Care (http://www.oklahomachildcare.org/)

Karried
12-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Congratulations!

I'm not sure about waiting lists here in Edmond .. my children are older.

I worked part time for a bit when my oldest was about three.. I couldn't handle the big 'commercialized' centers. I just couldn't leave him there.. it felt like an assembly line with all the little toddlers marching around all regimented and in synch (granted this was just one and I know most aren't like that) but sometimes a quality licensed home daycare works out for people. Smaller, more comfortable for a child who has never been in large daycare.

I found a wonderful woman based on a recommendation of a good friend and I loved her.

I could actually leave him there for a few hours without sobbing all the way to work, because I felt that she really loved him and would take good care of him.

Naturally, you'd do all of your homework first and talk to some other parents and get references before interviewing and like kmf563 recommends, call all of the agencies to cross check.

Good luck.

Jacob_Daddy
03-21-2008, 08:00 AM
We use Linwood Early Learning Center @ NW 17th and Drexel. My four year old son loves it! Even this week (spring break) when my wife is off work all week, he has wanted to go everyday. We pay $100 a week for him. Their infants charge $150/week. Since my wife is 8 months pregnant, we are looking at this. But $1000/month is ALOT to pay for two kids in daycare. That is more than my mortgage!

Karried
03-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Sometimes it makes more sense to not work if you can swing it.

Some people write down all of the costs and expenses for transportation and daycare costs... and compare them to salary..

For us, we had already decided that we wanted one parent to stay home with the kids... you have to decide what to do for your family but it might be something to look into.

It's hard as heck to stay home sometimes but it worked for us and the kids seemed to have grown up pretty well adjusted.. I just don't think anyone could ever love or care about my kids the way I do.

Faith
03-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Faith Christian Church Academy & Childcare center is wonderful. They are located on 15th Street & Bryant behind the new CVS. My son went there from age 1 to 2. The staff was very caring, loving individuals.

mommy_too
07-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I would recommend looking for a SAHM (stay-at-home mom) they usually can give your little one more one on one attention. They may cost a little more than a daycare - but you get what you pay for. Good luck!