View Full Version : Beverly's Pancake moving

metro
12-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Beverly's Pancake moving
The Daily Oklahoman
By Richard Mize
Real Estate Editor

Beverly's Pancake Corner — and its famous pancake sandwiches, Big Bevburger and Chicken in the Rough — is flying the coop after 50-plus years at Pennsylvania Avenue and Northwest Expressway.

But owner Renee Masoudy said the landmark workingman's diner, the last remaining location of a once-popular chain, won't move far to make room for Talbot's, the upscale women's clothing store.

Beverly's is moving from 2115 Northwest Expressway west 1.5 miles to the Midland Center at 3315 Northwest Expressway.

Louis Dakil Auctioneers will sell the contents of the diner and adjacent former furniture store at 10 a.m. Jan. 3. Dakil said the building will be razed to make room for new development at the prime intersection near Penn Square Mall.

Masoudy said she's packing up all the Beverly's atmosphere she can, and has a design scheme worked out to try to recreate the ambiance that has made Beverly's both a local neighborhood eatery and a destination since 1956.

Masoudy said the move will make room for the Talbot's, but The Oklahoman could not confirm it. A spokesman could not be reached late Wednesday at the Talbot's headquarters in Hingham, Mass.

A commercial real estate broker not involved with the deal said Talbot's plans to build a store on the site and close its location at 50 Penn Place.

Max Hedges, manager of the building housing Beverly's and a furniture store, said he could not talk about plans for the site. Hedges said a new development would operate on a long-term ground lease.

Masoudy said she is glad to have found a new location not far from Beverly's Pancake Corner, 2115 Northwest Expressway, since her steadiest customers live or work in the area.

The first Beverly's opened in 1921. Beverly Osborne and his wife, Rubye, came up with "Chicken in the Rough” — fried chicken served only with a biscuit and honey — and it became an icon of Route 66. The Osbornes franchised their specialty nationally.

"Osborne once said it started when he and his wife were eating fried chicken while traveling west in a Ford Model T on Route 66,” Max Nichols wrote in May in a monthly column from the Oklahoma Historical Society. "This is really chicken in the rough,” his wife said. It stuck.

Masoudy said the transition from a seasoned diner to a new space won't be too rough. The new location will have a shiny counter, a window to the kitchen and other features and fixtures of an old-time diner.

"I'm making it a '60s look,” she said. "I'm trying to make it homey — like Beverly's.”

Turanacus
02-18-2008, 11:51 AM
the new beverly's sucks ! won't last long.

Patrick
02-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Man, are we a pessimist. I've eaten at Madison's Pancake House several times (it was owned by Beverly's.....they changed the name when Beverlys by Penn Square closed), and I always thought it was pretty decent.

Turanacus
02-18-2008, 12:44 PM
we've been three times and it's been pretty bad all three. we'll be going back to ihop right down the road. i never went to madison's . . .

metro
02-18-2008, 06:49 PM
turanacus, care to elaborate on why it "sucks"? So far you haven't given any basis to your claim.

Turanacus
02-19-2008, 07:33 AM
bad service, charred bacon, rare eggs.

kmf563
02-19-2008, 07:44 AM
I concur. The new Beverly's sucks.

FRISKY
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Did you let them know you were not happy with the food and service? Most businesses will try to make things right if there is a problem.

MikeLucky
02-19-2008, 11:47 AM
I went to the new Beverly's and it was excellent. Food was great and the service was also top notch. BUT, we were there after a night of drinking at Russell's and the place was not busy yet since it was only 1230ish so..... we ended up with 3 waitresses hanging out near our table for most of our time there, so I can't speak for the normal experience with the service.....

jbrown84
02-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Man, are we a pessimist.

Same one that predicts Falcone's will go out of business...

Turanacus
02-19-2008, 12:18 PM
i knew you'd find me, LoL . . . not all Falcone's, just the one in Bricktown.

Turanacus
02-19-2008, 12:19 PM
tell the truth Jimbo.