View Full Version : Village Baptist Church - Loud Bells

namellac
12-26-2007, 11:13 AM
So my Christmas Eve nap was rudely interrupted by the Village Baptist Church's turning up of their Bells. They don't have real bells, just the pre-recorded kind that are played through the P/A in the Steeple. Most of the time, I don't even hear their bells, but they had turned them up SO LOUD that my windows were rattling. SO LOUD, that you could still hear them after the TV was turned all the way up. SO LOUD, that the music coming from the speakers was DISTORTING.

I actually got a hold of some goober on the phone at the church to ask them to turn down their bells. He said "they could do that", but apparently they decided not to - (or was he lying?) . Called them back, and got the same goober who proceeded to get pious and sanctimonious stating that "This is supposed to be a joyous day and that I needed to do an introspection on my life."

Look. I know full well what day it was. The goober did finally admitted to me that they were just "Advertising", but I have no intention of attending that church.

I'm not anti-Christian, or anti-Baptist, and I believe they have the right to ring their bells (if they had REAL bells, this probably wouldn't even be an issue)

HOWEVER, I believe I have a right to privacy in my own home, an the Village Baptist Church violated my privacy. If this how they "Witness" then they are in desperate need of help.

Midtowner
12-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Call the cops. Complain about the noise.

namellac
12-26-2007, 12:33 PM
I did. They said their hands were tied as "They were expressing their first amendment rights".

Midtowner
12-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Noise pollution (which is against the city code) is not covered by the Constitution as far as I know.

If you really, really care, contact an attorney.

solitude
12-26-2007, 12:41 PM
One persons junk is anothers gold.

We heard the bells and thought it was really nice. It was chilly, but we sat out on the porch for a while and just listened.

Just a thought, if you were as angry with them on the phone as you appeared to be in your post, maybe that's why he suggested the introspection. Just saying.

namellac
12-26-2007, 12:47 PM
I was angry with them because they initially stated they were going to turn them down, and then didn't. You obviously don't live as close to the church as I do.

Dark Jedi
12-26-2007, 04:53 PM
"I happen to like it, so your opinion is worthless."

Nice reply. Very loving and Christ like.

solitude
12-26-2007, 05:09 PM
"I happen to like it, so your opinion is worthless."

Nice reply. Very loving and Christ like.

Now come on......... that's not how I meant that. Read my post again, I didn't say anything like that. And by the way, I'm barely a Christian. Barely. Meaning, not a very good one and I question it a lot. But how you got that from my comment is beyond me. Dark Jedi, your comment was pretty snarky - you even put quotation marks around a statement that was never made - or implied! Is this a case of "Do as I say and not as I do?" Maybe you should read your own posts. (http://www.okctalk.com/web-building-tech-talk/11536-yellow-bus-rider.html#post122227)

By the way, I'm not much of a Christian, but you are constantly making snarky remarks about Christianity and seem to make fun of anyone who dares believe in God. I may be on the fence, but I'll tell you this, your brand of militant atheism (I read your posts) turns me off in a big way.

Midtowner
12-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Solitude, if the offending religious institution were a Mosque blaring their prayers into your neighborhood five times per day, how would you feel about that?

PennyQuilts
12-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Oh for the love of god.... It was Christmas Eve, for heaven's sake. Were you hung over, or WHAT? This was NOT 5 times a day, every day.

We have all turned into such babies.

And I'm no Christian.

solitude
12-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Hey, I hear 'ya Midtowner, there's no question religion in general and religious niceties like this are tough. Whether or not America is "officially" a Christian nation is clear - it is not. Yet, it is overwhelmingly Protestant and Catholic, and because of that, it would be provocative for a mosque to blare their prayers. Much like singing Christmas hymns in Tehran or Riyadh.

Religious pluralism is a tricky thing, I agree completely. Yet, I think history tells us where those boundaries are. The House, Senate and Supreme Court open each day with a prayer (an exclusively Christian prayer up until the 1990's). And let me say again, I am a social-action "Christian" (and a pretty damn poor one at that) and am more Catholic Charities than prayer meetings, if that makes sense.

But, this bell thing? I enjoyed it, I'm sure a lot of other people did too. It reminded me of Christmas Eve Midnight Mass as a kid. Sure, somebody is going to complain and I don't blame the original poster if it was as loud as she says near her home. It was the tone of the post, saying she called the church and some "Goober," answered the phone and it was clear the anger in the post probably came across that way to the man at the church, which in turn probably caused him to say what he did. There's always two sides. I know that, understand that - religion is tricky. But, I know this kind of thing wasn't a problem in the forties and fifties and now, with less assimilation into our culture, we are all expected to cater to the balkanized groups who want to import their own culture and customs and skip the assimilation. Very different from the Italians, Germans, Lithuanians, etc of years past.

Midtowner
12-26-2007, 08:27 PM
To you it's enjoyable. To your Jewish, Muslim, atheist, Jehovah's Witness, etc. members, it's a nuisance.

We have noise pollution ordinances in this city which, notwithstanding the law enforcement officer's choice not to enforce the law, still applies to churches the same as it applies to teenagers blaring music out of their car stereos.

namellac
12-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Noise is noise in my book. This was LOUD. If it were that loud everyday, no matter what the religion, I'd be doing something about it. If they are that desperate to get people to come to their church, they should get a better marketing plan.

And for the record, I've been living in this house since before their steeple was built.

PennyQuilts
12-27-2007, 06:00 AM
What whiners. Complain, complain, complain. My life is so hard ... I'd be embararrassed. Dress it up in religious freedom or freedom of speech or whatever you want but it amounts to a once a year deal that was understandably annoying but took a pathetic turn when the hearer became victimized by the mean person who was perhaps "lying." Oh, get serious - plenty of grieving, broken people would love to have such a horrible problem. Go volunteer at a rehab, children's group home, veterans hospital, cancer ward or homeless shelter and quit boring the world with your petty complaints.

kmf563
12-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Don't they ring the same bells every Sunday? Or maybe I'm thinking of another church.

Here's what's annoying - I live 7 blocks away from a biker bar. Every Thursday night (especially during the summer) they have a parking lot party. You have a bar - go in it! I can hear the music and the cycles rev it up when they leave in my house over the tv. 7 blocks away. I hate that place. They won't do anything about this either because their side of the street is zoned for that kind of establishment. They do make them end at 11pm (which usually drags on until midnight) instead of 2am. That helps. But I promise you - if I blared my stereo or my dog barked past 10pm - the cops would be called and be all over me for the noise ordinance. It has happened. I have complainy neighbors. I think noise policy should be noise policy regardless of who or what is making the noise.

Martin
12-27-2007, 08:29 AM
if liquor is brought out to the parking lot it would seem like a violation to me... i'd think an establishment could lose their liquor license over something like that. -M

namellac
12-27-2007, 09:02 AM
kmf563 I feel for you. If you have complainy neighbors, have you done anything as a group to confront the situation?

kmf563
12-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Well those complainy neighbors are all over the age of 80 I believe. So they, fortunately, sleep right through this noise. I didn't think about the liquor aspect of this though. That could be helpful. Can't you get some kind of event permit to have it outside though? Other restaurants have live music and drinks outside on their patios. It's nice and peaceful now since it's cold outside - but as soon as summer hits it will be every Thursday. The new steak house next door will last as long as every other place in it's spot. That's something I didn't think about either!

Okay, who knows (or is) the owner of the new steak house on memorial next to the biker bar? And who knows (or is) someone that works with the ABLE commission?

Sorry to take over your thread here....
Since it was only a one day problem, not much you can do about it now I don't think. Unless you call the church and tell them how much enjoyed the bells ringing but felt it was a tad loud and ask to consider this for future ringing occasions. Flattery and agreement with the person you are trying to persuade usually works in a situation like that. And sadly, having a female call would probably help also.

namellac
12-27-2007, 10:45 AM
good suggestion. My complainy female neighbor across the street might do that, she didn't like the bells being so loud either, and her house is even closer to the noise.

Another suggestion for your situation would be to hire an off-duty cop to sit in his police car in the parking lot on the nights in question. May work, may not, but I have a feeling if they do it enough times that the place will be "uncool" to the bikers. I was at the biker bar on 63rd when a cop pulled in on some other business, and the place practically cleared out.

oneforone
12-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I do understand your point of view. On the other hand I do think you are over reacting. It was a one time thing that you could have just left home and went to friend or relative's house for a little while. You could have went for a drive, anything.

The bells rang for only a few minuets. If they rang for hours and hours. I would say that you had a right to complain and the police should have stepped up.

I thank we all need to take step back to remind ourselves that we are a part of community and we are not entitled to never be disturbed or never be offended. Sometimes things are going to happen to irritate us. Sometimes we have to just ignore it move on.

Midtowner
12-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I think that other than venting here, namellac isn't going to take this to the next level.

As an aside, I think there's tremendous irony in some of these comments. East Coast in particular -- he's angry (and complaining) that someone else can't just ignore something they find to be a nuisance.

Follow your own advice :)

namellac
12-27-2007, 02:17 PM
I do understand your point of view. On the other hand I do think you are over reacting. It was a one time thing that you could have just left home and went to friend or relative's house for a little while. You could have went for a drive, anything.

The bells rang for only a few minuets. If they rang for hours and hours. I would say that you had a right to complain and the police should have stepped up.

I thank we all need to take step back to remind ourselves that we are a part of community and we are not entitled to never be disturbed or never be offended. Sometimes things are going to happen to irritate us. Sometimes we have to just ignore it move on.

They rang for over 30 minutes. The thing that irritates me the most is I called initially and they said they would turn them down and THEN DID NOT.

oneforone
12-27-2007, 03:17 PM
They rang for over 30 minutes. The thing that irritates me the most is I called initially and they said they would turn them down and THEN DID NOT.

I think you and the church need to work on being good neighbors.

Thirty minutes is nothing. It was during a time when most people are awake and You could have left home for a little while if it was that bad.

I live next door to college kids that are partying and playing loud rap music every other weekend for hours at a time. Have I called the cops? No. Have gone over and asked them to keep it down when one of the parties lasted until 3 AM. Yes, I did.

They complied and apologized. Had I been the a nervous nellie neighbor and called the cops everytime they made a peep, they probabably would have cranked the music even more.

If I where you I would send a polite email to the lead pastor of the church. I would ask that if they plans to do that in future, that they not crank them so loud or at least send a courtesy letter to the residents who live with in a mile of the church. That way people can at least be prepared when the bells sound.

You can either do that or call the ALCU Emergency Lawsuit Response Unit. They can file a lawsuit to have the bells removed or close the church for good.

PennyQuilts
12-27-2007, 04:27 PM
I think more people should be willing to point out when people are being big babies instead of patting their hands and saying," There, there you poor put upon thing." We are all part of the community. We can suck it up within reason or we can expect the rest of the community to cater to us. Here is a hint - they won't. The last person who consistently catered to any other non disabled adult (absent some embarassing dysfunctionality) was probably their mother. If she did it past the age most kids give up naps she didn't do them, or us, any favors.

I'll stop now.

Dark Jedi
12-28-2007, 09:51 AM
By the way, I'm not much of a Christian, but you are constantly making snarky remarks about Christianity and seem to make fun of anyone who dares believe in God. I may be on the fence, but I'll tell you this, your brand of militant atheism (I read your posts) turns me off in a big way.

be aware: atheism is not an evangelical occupation. we don;t care if you convert or not. As such, I am not out to recruit.
yes, I do ridicule the religious when they get selfish. Someone has to, or they will turn this great country in to another Afghanistan or Iran, just with a different name for "god".

And I summarized your reply. You said, essentially, that you liked the bells and the original poster's discomfort was unimportant in light of that. how else were we to take it?

Dark Jedi
12-28-2007, 09:55 AM
You can either do that or call the ALCU Emergency Lawsuit Response Unit. They can file a lawsuit to have the bells removed or close the church for good.

Please explain what government agency is violating what civil right?
or, perhaps, you have no idea what the ACLU actually does...

PennyQuilts
12-28-2007, 11:31 AM
<<You can either do that or call the ALCU Emergency Lawsuit Response Unit. They can file a lawsuit to have the bells removed or close the church for good.>>>

I may be wrong, but I read that as heavy sarcasm.

solitude
12-28-2007, 01:20 PM
You said, essentially, that you liked the bells and the original poster's discomfort was unimportant in light of that. how else were we to take it?

I'm sorry, Jedi, I don't see it. She says she didn't like the bells. I said we did like the bells. How does that equal her opinion being "unimportant"? If I said I liked the Dallas Cowboys and you said you liked the Green Bay Packers, does that mean your liking the Packers has no validity? This is getting silly.

Dark Jedi
01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
"One persons junk is anothers gold.

We heard the bells and thought it was really nice. It was chilly, but we sat out on the porch for a while and just listened."

It belittles the annoyance that they are suffering due to the loudness and their proximity, dismissing it because some who aren't so close as to bleed out the ears might like it.

solitude
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
"One persons junk is anothers gold.

We heard the bells and thought it was really nice. It was chilly, but we sat out on the porch for a while and just listened."

It belittles the annoyance that they are suffering due to the loudness and their proximity, dismissing it because some who aren't so close as to bleed out the ears might like it.

Do you know the expression "One man's junk is anothers gold?" It isn't offensive, it means that to one person something is really great while another person can see that exact same thing as totally awful. One is not right or the other wrong. If anything, that VALIIDATES their opinion. You're just causing trouble. (surprise!)

CuatrodeMayo
01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I am not surprised. Typical Jedi.

Dark Jedi
01-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Hmm. Please explain your motivation and reason for bringing up that you like it in a thread about the psychological damage it is doing to a nearby person, then. I am curious as to what possible motivation such a reply could have in this context that is not as I addressed.

I await your reply.

jbrown84
01-08-2008, 09:13 AM
or, perhaps, you have no idea what the ACLU actually does...

You mean singling out Christians?

they said they would turn them down and THEN DID NOT.

Are you absolutely 100% sure of that? Just because they didn't turn them significantly like you wanted them to does not mean he didn't go in there and nudge the volume down a couple notches.

solitude
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I vote this thread SILLIEST OKCTALK THREAD EVER!
Church bells - on Christmas eve!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jedi, your militant atheism colors everything you write about.

namellac
01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I have never stated that they shouldn't play their bells. And no, they didn't turn them down at all. If none of you believe that you have an expectation level of privacy in your own home, then you don't get it. I've talked to all my neighbors, they are in agreement that they were WAY TOO LOUD.

The bells have returned to their normal tolerable level now. A few notches up from there would have been acceptable for the day in question. Full volume wasn't.

solitude
01-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I have never stated that they shouldn't play their bells. And no, they didn't turn them down at all. If none of you believe that you have an expectation level of privacy in your own home, then you don't get it. I've talked to all my neighbors, they are in agreement that they were WAY TOO LOUD.

The bells have returned to their normal tolerable level now. A few notches up from there would have been acceptable for the day in question. Full volume wasn't.

And you're still talking about it on January 8th. We get it. The bells were too loud. Now, did you realize that 18,000 children die every day because of hunger or hunger-related disease? And you think you have problems with loud church bells? Read this story from USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-02-17-un-hunger_x.htm) and put your problem in perspective. If you will allow me a little arithmetic, since the church bells rang too loud (for an hour or so) on 12-24-07, and you've been so upset as to continue this thread, approximately 270,000 children have died for simple lack of food.

Yeah, those damn bells are a real problem!

Okay, hyperbolic? Maybe. But really....gain a little perspective.

Freedom From Hunger (http://www.freedomfromhunger.org/info/)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-08-2008, 11:22 PM
And you're still talking about it on January 8th. We get it. The bells were too loud. Now, did you realize that 18,000 children die every day because of hunger or hunger-related disease? And you think you have problems with loud church bells? Read this story from USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-02-17-un-hunger_x.htm) and put your problem in perspective. If you will allow me a little arithmetic, since the church bells rang too loud (for an hour or so) on 12-24-07, and you've been so upset as to continue this thread, approximately 270,000 children have died for simple lack of food.

Yeah, those damn bells are a real problem!

Okay, hyperbolic? Maybe. But really....gain a little perspective.

Freedom From Hunger (http://www.freedomfromhunger.org/info/)

It's his thread, people keep commenting in it, so the discussion about the bells will continue...Even your belittlement and deriding comments serve to keep it going.

Sorry we all can't start threads about super important topics that keep things in perspective...Things like world hunger or how nice the new windows on Founders Tower look.

solitude
01-09-2008, 12:04 AM
It's his thread, people keep commenting in it, so the discussion about the bells will continue...Even your belittlement and deriding comments serve to keep it going.

Sorry we all can't start threads about super important topics that keep things in perspective...Things like world hunger or how nice the new windows on Founders Tower look.

One of your snarky moods I see. Always right and perfect from your ivory tower (but always humorous!). I said I was hyperbolic and yes, you are right, my commenting on how silly it is keeps it going. Like your comment back to me - and mine back to you.

When someone is complaining about how something just ruined an hour or two of their life and they're still commenting on it two weeks later, I think a little perspective on suffering might actually be worthwhile.

PennyQuilts
01-09-2008, 04:22 AM
I'm suffering.

kmf563
01-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Solitude -
How is this any less important than which restaurant they will put inside wal-mart or what new building is going up on the corner of whatever and the nw expressway??
It's called conversation. Either join it or go away. But please don't complain about it while participating or belittle those of us who are obviously so beneath you and your worldly ways. :voted:

jacodenn
01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Dark Jedi...You wouldn't by chance be one of those fellas I had the misfortune of pulling up beside at the intersection of Rockwell and the NW Expressway, speakers blaring some indecipherable, ebonic , jibberish while I was trying to enjoy the sounds of Christmas songs while out doing my Christmas shopping?

My point being...there are much worse public nuisances (noise) than Church Bells on Christmas Eve.

namellac
01-09-2008, 11:34 AM
My point being...there are much worse public nuisances (noise) than Church Bells on Christmas Eve.

Same type of nuisance, just not as frequent. And thank you for acknowledging it was a nuisance.

jacodenn
01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
namellac...I live next to an OKC Elementary School that plays recorded instrumental chimes...at a decent hour. I can understand that they could be a "nuisance" to some, especially with a sub-divison directly across the street.

I just wish the City would do something to curb all that friggin music blasting from cars be-boppin down the public streets and in the Mall parking lots (including parking spaces right outside the restaurants around town).

sweetdaisy
01-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I just wish the City would do something to curb all that friggin music blasting from cars be-boppin down the public streets and in the Mall parking lots (including parking spaces right outside the restaurants around town).

I second that! I live by a popular fitness center that apparently is quite a draw for evening basketball. As far as I'm concerned there is no reason on earth I should have to listen to the BOOM-BOOM-BOOM of someone's car stereo when it's after 10pm and I'm trying to sleep. There's days I wish I had something I could shoot at them that wouldn't do damage but would get their attention. :boxing2:

namellac
01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
There are noise ordinances on the books. Like any other law, they just need to be enforced.

jacodenn
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
From the "Oklahoma City Municipal Code, Chapter 34, Section 2"

(20) Noise means any sound which annoys or disturbs humans or which causes or tends to cause an adverse psychological or physiological effect on humans.

(21) a.Noise disturbance means any plainly audible sound which:
1. injures or endangers the safety or health of a human; or
2. annoys or disturbs a reasonable person of normal sensitivities; or
3. endangers or injures personal or real property.
b. Plainly audible means where the listener clearly can hear the content of the sound produced by the noise source. Sounds which may be clearly audible include, but are not limited to, musical rhythms, spoken words, vocal sounds, and engine noises.

34-10. Penalty.
(a) Any person who violates any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be guilty of an offense against the City.
(b) Each day of violation of any provision of this chapter shall constitute a single offense if the disturbance is continuous. If the disturbance is not continuous, each violation of any provision of this chapter shall constitute a separate offense, although committed on the same day.

34-11. Injunctive relief.
As an additional remedy, any activity, conduct, or the operation or maintenance of any device, instrument, vehicle or machinery which is continuing in nature and in violation of any provision hereof, and which causes discomfort or annoyance, or which endangers the comfort, repose, health or peace of residents in the area, or which exceeds the community noise standards as set forth in Section 34-6, or which produces a noise disturbance, shall be deemed, and is declared to be, a public nuisance and may be subject to abatement summarily by a restraining order or injunction issued by a court of competent jurisdiction. Further, an injunction or restraining order may be issued pursuant to the statutes of the State of Oklahoma.

sweetdaisy
01-11-2008, 09:23 AM
There are noise ordinances on the books. Like any other law, they just need to be enforced.

This made me laugh a bit, as we can't even get the cops to come out when we need them for personal/home security issues. (Home security alarm going off in the middle of the day, stranger jumping fences in backyards, etc.) I can't imagine they'd do much about the racket coming from the cars in the fitness center parking lot. Although, I am more than willing to start calling to complain on a regular basis. If that doesn't work, I'm getting a Nerf Rocket launcher or a cannon-sized Super-Soaker. :D

JB1975
01-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I, too, find being annoyed by church bells somewhat curious. I've always found them to be, at worst, inoffensive. It's especially curious in light of the fact that some of us have neighbors with car stereo systems more expensive than the actual automobile, and said neighbors feel the need to play said stereo all day long on a Saturday afternoon. Now that's a sound nuisance.

Dark Jedi
01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Dark Jedi...You wouldn't by chance be one of those fellas I had the misfortune of pulling up beside at the intersection of Rockwell and the NW Expressway, speakers blaring some indecipherable, ebonic , jibberish while I was trying to enjoy the sounds of Christmas songs while out doing my Christmas shopping?

Some who the what? My Durango's stereo system is stock, and plays Guns and Roses quite well without modification. but nice of you to ASSume without facts.

CuatrodeMayo
01-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't think anybody was ASSuming anything...that was a question.

icemncmth
03-02-2008, 04:47 PM
So my Christmas Eve nap was rudely interrupted by the Village Baptist Church's turning up of their Bells. They don't have real bells, just the pre-recorded kind that are played through the P/A in the Steeple. Most of the time, I don't even hear their bells, but they had turned them up SO LOUD that my windows were rattling. SO LOUD, that you could still hear them after the TV was turned all the way up. SO LOUD, that the music coming from the speakers was DISTORTING.

I actually got a hold of some goober on the phone at the church to ask them to turn down their bells. He said "they could do that", but apparently they decided not to - (or was he lying?) . Called them back, and got the same goober who proceeded to get pious and sanctimonious stating that "This is supposed to be a joyous day and that I needed to do an introspection on my life."

Look. I know full well what day it was. The goober did finally admitted to me that they were just "Advertising", but I have no intention of attending that church.

I'm not anti-Christian, or anti-Baptist, and I believe they have the right to ring their bells (if they had REAL bells, this probably wouldn't even be an issue)

HOWEVER, I believe I have a right to privacy in my own home, an the Village Baptist Church violated my privacy. If this how they "Witness" then they are in desperate need of help.

I don't think it is the Baptist Church..I live down the street from the Catholic church on Hefner and their bells are very load...so much so people complained to the church and the volume has been turned down..

I knew it was the Catholic church because the bells were ringing every Sat evening...

No one is at the Baptist church at that time...and the Catholic church is ringing in the mass...

namellac
03-02-2008, 09:39 PM
I can hear those too, just not as loud. It's definitely the VBC. Their steeple is within eyesight of my front door. Could hit a golf ball at it pretty easy, if the trees weren't in the way.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I can hear those too, just not as loud. It's definitely the VBC. Their steeple is within eyesight of my front door. Could hit a golf ball at it pretty easy, if the trees weren't in the way.

I feel for you...The trees are ALWAYS in the way of my golf balls.