View Full Version : Dog Parks - Absolute must or Avoid at all costs?

OKCCrime
12-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I noticed two dog parks in OKC:

PAW Park (http://www.pawok.com/)
and
Lake Hefner Dog Park (http://okcdogpark.com/dogparks.aspx)

Some advise to avoid dog parks:
Dog Parks: Why they are a bad idea. (http://leerburg.com/dogparks.htm)
others suggest that it is a good idea:
Introducing a dog to a dog park (http://www.ehow.com/how_2103826_introduce-dog-dog-park.html)

What does everyone think? Are dog parks a good or bad idea? Please explain your opinion. If you have dog park experiences (good or bad) please post them.

Thanks!
OKCCrime
----
http://okccrime.com

CCOKC
12-24-2007, 09:51 AM
I am pretty sure the two dog parks you listed are actually one. The Paw Dog park is at Lake Hefner. I take my dog to the dog park regularly. Our fence is not secure enough to keep her in so the dog park is the only place I can let her go without the leash and just let her run. I have seen aggressive behavior from the dogs there but have not ever seen any injuries. The dogs usually work the alpha issue out amongst themselves and the only problems I see is when the owner's try to interfere with that process. Owners must keep an eye on there pet at all times, not only to pick up poo but to curb any overly aggressive behavior. There are times my dog will pick on smaller dogs to establish the alpha and we leave. Period. But that does not happen very often. In my opinion, the smaller dogs should use the small dog park.

OKCCrime
12-26-2007, 12:32 PM
They may be one in the same. I have to admit only driving past the one on Hefner Parkway and considering whether or not to try it out.

It seems to me like going there is a big risk. There are so many pet owners who don't have much (any) control over their animals, on the lead, let alone off the lead. I would be worried about a fight breaking out.

Is it caveat emptor? Do you loose your ability to sue another dog's owner for medical expenses if something does happen at one of these parks? In other words, pet owner beware, come what may?

OKCCrime

namellac
12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
There's a Dog Park in Edmond as well, but it doesn't have a pond for the dogs to get into (which can be a plus if you're not in a mood to give your dog a bath afterwards).

I agree that it is usually the owners that are the problem, especially when they don't correct over-aggressive behavior. If you are unsure, go on a day when the dog park maintainers are there. They will ask owners to leave if their dogs don't behave properly. Also, take your dog on lead into the park. When you feel comfortable, let them run free!

FritterGirl
12-26-2007, 01:08 PM
There's a Dog Park in Edmond as well, but it doesn't have a pond for the dogs to get into (which can be a plus if you're not in a mood to give your dog a bath afterwards).

The Edmond Dog Park DOES have a pond. The only difference is that it is gated off, and owners have to open the gate to allow their dogs to swim there. The danger of this pond is that it is not gated on the other side and completely enclosed within the park as is the case at the PAW Park at Hefner Park.

If a dog gets out on the opposite side of the pond, or "around the corner" from where the gated entrance is, a dog can escape the park area and end up who knows where.

I believe dog parks are essential to a dog's social development. Owners must be responsible, however, for their own dogs' behavior.

NikonNurse
12-26-2007, 02:12 PM
You have to define aggressive behaviour to some. You have folks that think growling is an aggressive behavior, as opposed to dogs attacking others...I've seen people yell and freak out when another dog is running towards their own (and then runs on by)...I've seen folks freak when their dog's toys are confiscated by another dog. Its like a big day care out there...

OKCCrime
12-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Just found this statement from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in support of Dog Parks:

"5.12 Dog Parks

The ASPCA supports the development of community “dog parks” or “dog runs” as a means for urban dogs in particular to exercise off leash and socialize with other dogs. The ASPCA believes that dog parks are beneficial to both dogs and their guardians, who frequently share dog-care information and exert peer pressure on others to become more responsible as well as demonstrate the value of the human/companion animal bond to the public at large. "

Taken from:
ASPCA: ASPCA Policies and Positions: Animals in Entertainment, Sport and Work (http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pp_en_dogparks)

OKCCrime
12-30-2007, 01:08 PM
I added a poll at the top of this thread.

I was just curious given that from watching episodes of the dog whisperer, it seems almost no one actually walks their dog or takes them to a park. I admit, those might be hand pick problem cases.

OKCcrime

betts
12-30-2007, 02:05 PM
I love the dog park on Hefner Parkway. By and large, the people who bring their dogs there are responsible pet owners, and the docents, who are there a lot, are quite good at telling people when they and their dog needs to leave. I have a corgi, so we go to the small dog section, and it's one of her favorite places to go. She's even got "friends" whom she is excited to see when they are there as well. I've heard there's a dog park in Edmond too, but haven't visited it.

Redskin 70
02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Del City has one "in progress" at Ray Trent park right of the interstate. A large dog and a small dog enclosure.
It is being financed partially by the Okla City Community foundation and was a feature article in a recent publication of theirs.
It still has a lot of work to be done but there is a citizens group of volunteers who are full of exciting ideas on how to continue improvement for this k9 kid corner.
Give it a shot.:tiphat:

gmwise
02-28-2008, 07:15 AM
I have a bassett beagle mix dog who I am sure would love to go.
I think I will bring him along.

Karried
02-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Wonder how we paid for these dog parks? And how about all of the dog owners who don't use them? Or people who don't even have a dog?

The greater good of the community as a whole.. that's what we all have to remember.

Millie
02-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Karried, are you saying that cities shouldn't pay to pave streets in low population density areas because few people drive there? That we shouldn't have children's playground equipment in parks because some people don't have kids? That we shouldn't have publicly funded arts projects because some people may be blind/deaf/otherwise won't enjoy it?

Where exactly do you draw the line?

Many of the dog parks in the area, incidentally, are funded largely by non-profits, community groups, and the like.

FritterGirl
03-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Millie,

Pardon me if I misunderstand your post, but I believe Karried is trying to make the point that we often fund things through tax-payer initiatives even though not everyone uses them. She's making this comparison in support of the Ford Center initiative.

The OKC Paw Park (at Hefner Park) is owned by the City of Oklahoma City. The City works in cooperation with the Partners for Animal Welfare group, who take care of the general operations of the park, and establish its rules. They provide the plastic bags and other tools for poo patrol, and help with general maintenance. The Parks' grounds division still mows the park, and takes care of larger maintenance issues.

I'm not sure about the Edmond dog park (33rd and Boulevard.) I believe it is wholly owned and operated by the City of Edmond, at least that's what their signage indicates.

Karried
03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Karried, are you saying that cities shouldn't pay to pave streets in low population density areas because few people drive there? That we shouldn't have children's playground equipment in parks because some people don't have kids? That we shouldn't have publicly funded arts projects because some people may be blind/deaf/otherwise won't enjoy it?

Where exactly do you draw the line?

Of course not.. I was being facetious ..... trying to make a point to the posters who say since they don't like/use the NBA, that they shouldn't pass the sales tax to improve the Ford Center in an effort to bring a pro team here.

Point being, we all pay for things that we don't necessarily take advantage of... ie a dog park if you are without pets or a school if you don't have children or a fire department if your house never burns down or an arena upgrade if you never attend a concert or a pro basketball game...

Like I said, for the greater good of the community.

And I love my black lab..

hyamsx3
03-24-2008, 07:36 AM
I've gone to the dog park at Hefner, Ray Trent, and the one in Norman. I prefer Norman and Ray Trent because they are closer; I'm surprised at the number of people who bring very small dogs into the large dog enclosure and then get upset when the larger dogs approach. I'm also surprised by the number of people who bring ball throwing toys to the park and then get upset with the large number of dogs who want to play fetch, other than their own dog. Dogs love to socialize, I have four large dogs and when they get into the van, they are squealing all the way because they know they get to have fun. The added benefit is that they are calmer afterwards. I always walk them twice a day, so I can have four large dogs in my house and it isn't mass chaos.

t3h_wookiee
03-27-2008, 10:51 AM
I have two Corgis and would love to take them to the dog park, but am a bit afraid to. Ein, my male, would be fine. Nani, my female, is a bit aggro to other females (and yes, they are both altered, and were at an early age). She has a few issues. It's hard to work on social problems without getting them out to socialize.

Does anyone know when the Hefner dog park isn't as busy?

CCOKC
03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Early in the morning usually is not crowded. And of course when it is really really cold outside.

Sin Wagon
06-15-2008, 10:41 AM
I take my Vizsla to the Paw Park once or twice a week, and she loves it. I have seen a few instances of aggression from other dogs but they are usually very rare. Like another poster said, you just have to let the dogs figure out the dominance pecking order and don't interfere. Don't freak out if another dog start barking at your dog or steals its ball. There can be some growling, ear-pulling, etc. that never amounts to injury. The only time I've seen an all out dog fight was when an owner had their dog on a leash, and when dogs feel restricted on the leash they often lash out. Some times it happens and its annoying, but if an overly horny male is not controlled its owner and starts trying to hump your dog and pin it down, its acceptable for you to grab that male and throw him off

The dogs that seem to have the most problems initially are the ones that are extremely submissive, my dog was one of these and got "picked on" quite a bit, but she gradually gained confidence and after taking her there 8 - 10 times she has become one of the most social dogs out there and absolutely LOVES going out there.
Taking your dog to the park and seeing them play with other dogs and run with joy and abandon is one of the funnest things about owning a dog, I think if you don't take your dog to the park out of fear you are really missing out.

tburn
07-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I had the day off monday (for my birthday, no less!) and planned an early morning play-date at the Hefner Paw Park for the first visit for my girl.

The park was CLOSED for 4 days for renovations!
drat.

not sure when I will have the chance to go again, I want her first experience to be drama free and I'm hoping to find a weekday evening that is not so crowded.

Our girl is a lab-mix rescue (street stray) that is almost 2 years old.
She is protective of the house and car, and has not had much socializing with other dogs, other than Petsmart. She has done fine at BBQs with other humans.

anyone noticed an evening that is less crowded?

sweetdaisy
07-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Sin Wagon, thanks so much for your post. Your experience with your own submissive dog encourages me to go ahead and let my girl try the park again. (We did it once a couple years ago, but she had a pretty nerve-wracking experience. Never mind the two male labs that immediately pinned her against the fence and wouldn't stop sniffing her.) She's much more confident now, so she may do better a second time around.

I will definately have to give it another go.

namellac
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
A friend of mine had her car broken into at the Paws Park at Hefner last week. Lost her purse and some CDs.

Be sure to lock your valuables in the trunk or take them with you!

OKCMallen
09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
My dog does well with other dogs usually, up to 3-4 others at a time, but was completely overwhelmed by the dog park and we don't go anymore.

glee3d
10-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Tulsa has it's own "off the leash" dog park not far from downtown. It has two areas. an "under 30 pounds" for the smaller critters and an unlimited area, where the great danes roam free. Link here:

http://tulsabarkpark.com/ (http://www.tulsabarkpark.com/)

You must have your shots up to date, (they do check at the gate) and bring your pet on a leash into the area which is basically two repurposed baseball fields, nicely fenced, kept mowed, with poop bins and scoopers available at convienent intervals.

Filled water bowls are provided, and there is a hose available for you to fill your own should your pet not like to share.

Good attendance there last Sunday, 4-5 Bassett hounds, 3-4 Danes, a couple Retrievers, a few Labs, my two pugs and a variety of other breeds I can't name. Mostly playing in the big dog area, but 6 or more little guys and Dane puppy were having fun in the small dog area as well.

Nice place to go in Tulsa if you want to let your dog off the leash.

SoonerBV
11-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I have never been to a dog park, but we have boarded our golden at the camp bow wow in Moore. He has a great time everytime, going nuts with all the other dogs. Granted, its not a park, but they do a really good job putting the big dogs in one pen and the small ones in another. Also, I seem to recall that before we could board him, he had to go spend a couple of hours there on a type of "probation", to make sure he got along with other dogs. Also, you can watch your dog on a webcam...

JakeZula
11-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I've been to the Edmond and PAW parks. They're wonderful. The only time I encountered any aggression there was from one of my own dogs. [He got along with our dogs at home, but was very aggressive towards dogs at the park for some reason. We eventually had to give him up :( ]

I think there should be more parks. It's not only good for the dogs, but for owners too. Your dogs come back happy, stress-free, and--most importantly--totally pooped out.

jsibelius
11-06-2008, 01:06 PM
We always have to wait until winter hits to go because one of ours is aggressive to other dogs. So we only go when it's cold out. I wish we could go more often, but that's the way things are. Someday, she will no longer be with us, and then maybe we will be able to bring the other one out more often when the weather is better.