View Full Version : Help - Diabetic cat!

Lauri101
12-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi all,

Since there are so many pet lovers on this board, I thought I'd throw out my dilemma for a little advice.

I have a nearly 16 year old female (spayed) cat who has been diagnosed with diabetes. She is otherwise healthy, still playful and very loving. Her only symptoms at this time are excessive water drinking and urination. She uses the litter box with no problem.

The vet wants to start her on insulin, plus a special diet. She hates the diabetic cat food and refuses to eat it, but will eat her Science Diet cat food just fine. We haven't started the insulin yet - we're supposed to take her tomorrow for instructions.

Has anyone had any experience with diabetes in animals? What are the consequences of not treating them with insulin? In cat years, she is about 90 and very set in her ways. She also is indoors 100% of the time. Is this a quality or quantity of life?
I'm torn - money is not the issue, but making her miserable with constant shots, blood tests and nasty food is! Thanks in advance!

sweetdaisy
12-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi Lauri101-

Sorry to hear your news, however it's a manageable disease. I personally do not have experience with a diabetic cat, but have friends who have. Insulin shots are no big deal to the cat (many times, they don't even realize what has happened), and the change in diet is more of a necessity than you (or she) would probably like. The special food is likely a higher protein/low carbohydrate diet, whereas many commercially available foods are high carbs. Carbs work the same way in cats as they do in humans and too many can be detrimental. I'd talk to the doc about other diabetic cat food options...diabetes is very common in cats and there should be some other options available.

She can certainly maintain a very healthy life and may even overcome the diabetes (not need insulin) after a while with the diet change. Will she have a quality life if you're giving her shots and she has to change her food? YES. The issue to consider is if you are willing to make the effort. It's not all about money...it's about time as well. You'd need to be fairly good about giving her the meds on a regular schedule and will need to monitor her intake/output a bit more. However, these are small things that can easily fit into people's lives.

If you do not start the treatment, your kitty will most certainly decline rapidly, stop eating, possible seizures, etc. I think this would be a horrible way to die.

My feeling on this is to give it a try for a couple weeks and see how it goes. If you and kitty just aren't having any success, consider euthanasia.

I do understand your dilemma though...my darling kitty was diagnosed with kidney failure a couple weeks ago, and it's been devastating. His disease will kill him no matter what we do, so I'm making him comfortable until he stops eating, and we'll address euthanasia at that time.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide though, Lauri. Let us know how things go.

sweetdaisy
12-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Lauri, I forgot to say, make sure you do some research online. There's TONS of info out there, plus numerous message boards to get additional info. Just do a google search under "Feline Diabetes" and get ready to be overloaded with info! :)

FritterGirl
12-20-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure what your vet has recommended as far as food is concerned. I know there are several high-protein, premium brands out there that may suffice, even if they are not "dietetic."

You might try going to Britton Feed & Seed (south side of Britton Road, just east of Classen, between Western and the B'Way Ext.) They have a very large variety of holistic foods for dogs and cats, and their staff is very knowledgeable about the products they sell.

I sound like an advertisement for them, but really swear by not only their products, but their service.

Lauri101
12-20-2007, 09:07 PM
sweetdaisy and Parksgal - thank you both for replying!

I certainly don't mind spending the time (or money) if Shannon's life can be longer and she won't be miserable. And I will check out the Britton Feed and Seed to see if I can find something that will please her picky palate.

I've googled quite a bit and seem to find a lot of contradictory information. It's all quite confusing! I've had to put two cats down within the past two years and, although it's very sad, it's better than have them suffer. I hope to keep her around as long as I can!

She's always been a survivor - her 4 littermates and her mom were killed by wild dogs when she was about 6 weeks old. I found her, a little round ball of a Russian Blue, hissing and spitting behind a potted tree in a friend's yard. When she saw me, it was love at first sight for both of us. She crawled up my leg and onto my shoulder where she started licking my eyelids and purring. Needless to say, she crawled into my heart that day also!

thanks again!

OKCCrime
12-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat. You are lucky to have had such a long-lived cat. I don't have to much to contribute regarding the diabetes specifically. However, two more things come to mind. First, be careful of information directly from the Internet. Much of it is biased, not based in fact, and often offered to motivate product sales. I would go with your vet's opinion. You might also look for highly rated books on Amazon.com. Second, Britton Feed & Seed is a great place for high quality food. The people are very nice, but again, trust your vets opinion first and foremost.

OKCCrime

sweetdaisy
12-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Sorry, I should have been more specific with my reference to looking on the internet for information. Places like Cornell Feline Health Center and other veterinary websites are good places for info. However, there are other sites out there that provide info without being biased...one does not necessarily have to go to a product website. And, if you do find yourself on a product website, you can always use your noggin and decide if the info sounds a little fishy or verify it with your vet.

Karried
12-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Oh Lauri, I'm so sorry to hear of your dilemma ... it's hard any way you slice it.

Hopefully, you'll find the right decision that works for your family and cat.

Lauri101
12-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks, all, for additional info and encouragement!

Here's the good news - we went back to the vet today and - no insulin needed!

We still will have to test periodically and watch her diet, but not neccessarily limit her to the diabetes management food. I did find some Science Diet for indoor cats (lower carb and fat) that she'll eat, so maybe she'll be around a while.

The vet also said something similar to okccrime's point - we're lucky we've had her so long, and, at her age, things can change quickly.

Although non-pet people might think it's silly, most who read this forum probably feel as I do - our pets are part of the family!

sweetdaisy
12-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Excellent news, Lauri! Thanks so much for the update! :)

OKCCrime
12-23-2007, 04:02 PM
our pets are part of the family!

I'll second that!

OKCCrime