View Full Version : I-35 Holy Highway

Karried
12-19-2007, 04:55 PM
From CNN today: Anyone heard of this?

Editor's note: In our Behind the Scenes series, CNN correspondents share their experiences in covering news and analyze the stories behind the events. Here, Gary Tuchman talks about covering people praying on what they call America's "holy highway."

DALLAS, Texas (CNN) -- If you turn to the Bible -- Isaiah Chapter 35, Verse 8 -- you will see a passage that in part says, "A highway shall be there, and a road, and it shall be called the Highway of Holiness."
Churchgoers in six states have held prayer sessions along the side of Interstate 35.

Now, is it possible that this "highway" mentioned in Chapter 35 is actually Interstate 35 that runs through six U.S. states, from southern Texas to northern Minnesota? Some Christians have faith that is indeed the case.

It was with that interesting belief in mind that we decided to head to Texas, the southernmost state in the I-35 corridor, to do a story about a prayer campaign called "Light the Highway."
Churchgoers in all six states recently finished 35 days of praying alongside Interstate 35, but the prayers are still continuing.

Some of the faithful believe that in order to fulfill the prophecy of I-35 being the "holy" highway, it needs some intensive prayer first. So we watched as about 25 fervent and enthusiastic Christians prayed on the the interstate's shoulder in Dallas.

They chanted loudly and vibrantly, making many people in the neighborhood wonder what was going on. They prayed that adult businesses along the corridor would "see the light" and perhaps close down.
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_TL.gif
Holy highway?

Meet the faithful who see a connection between the Bible and Interstate 35, tonight on AC 360.
10 p.m. ET
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/images/1.gif

They prayed for safety and freedom from crime for people who lived along the interstate. They prayed that all Americans would accept Jesus into their lives.

The woman who came up with the concept of "Light the Highway" is a Texas minister named Cindy Jacobs.

She says she can't be sure Interstate 35 really is what is mentioned in the Bible but says she received a revelation to start this campaign after "once again reading Isaiah, Chapter 35."

Jacobs also points out that perhaps there is a link between the area near this highway and tragedies that have happened in history, such as the bridge collapse on I-35 in Minneapolis last August and the assassination of JFK 44 years ago near I-35 in Dallas. That's why prayer certainly can't hurt, she adds.

Now, it's only fair to say most people, the religious and the non-religious alike, don't buy any of this, but none more than the owners of some of the adult businesses along I-35.

At an adult go-go club, the owner tells us he resents people trying to impose their will on others. And he says his club holds fundraisers, food drives and toy drives to help the community.

But on the side of the road, the prayerful aren't going to change their minds. Holy highways and nude clubs, they believe, are not a combination God has in mind.

Martin
12-19-2007, 04:57 PM
next thing you know, people will start saying that the garden of eden was in independence, missouri. oh wait.

-M

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-19-2007, 11:28 PM
I pray every time I'm on I-35 in Dallas.:ou2

kevinpate
12-20-2007, 05:09 AM
I've been known to pray on I-35 aka honking big parking lot, that the traffic would just start moving again. :)

Karried
12-20-2007, 06:56 AM
I pray every time I'm on I-35 in Dallas.

I don't know if it's still called praying when you use your finger, one in particular .. lol

I hate Dallas traffic.. I have to close my eyes.. oh wait, I guess I shouldn't do that while I drive!

kmf563
12-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Does screaming out the window count as praying?? Or saying things like "for the love of God move people"

Karried
12-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Only if you count ' thank you Lord Jesus' and 'thank you God!!' when we finally figured out how to get to the hotel off the side of freeway... pulling a Griswald.. felt like we drove by it 10 times , just couldn't figure out how to get to it!

I won't tell you what I was saying the other nine passes...lol

Dark Jedi
12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I do hear many an exclaimation of "JESUS!!!" on that road.

bretthexum
12-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Wow...

Just when I thought I've seen it all. What a bunch of weirdos.

Easy180
12-20-2007, 08:50 PM
"She says she can't be sure Interstate 35 really is what is mentioned in the Bible but says she received a revelation to start this campaign after "once again reading Isaiah, Chapter 35.""

Wow...She can't be sure that I-35 really is mentioned?

Come on... Amazes me that this has just now been figured out

Of course once I turned 35 I knew the interstate was actually built specifically for me

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
"She says she can't be sure Interstate 35 really is what is mentioned in the Bible but says she received a revelation to start this campaign after "once again reading Isaiah, Chapter 35.""

Wow...She can't be sure that I-35 really is mentioned?

Come on... Amazes me that this has just now been figured out

Of course once I turned 35 I knew the interstate was actually built specifically for me

Well...From what I heard...If you pick up a bible, take the 1st letter, 5th line down, on every page over 200 that's divisible by a prime number, change that letter to the corresponding number (1=A 26=Z etc) multiply it times pi, then subtract the birthday (Julian Date, of course) of Caesar's 2nd concubine.

When you're done with that, take the numbers, convert them back to letters (this time reversing the correlation between numbers and letters), write the resulting letters on individual slips of paper, throw them in a hat, jiggle it around for a bit, toss it in the air, and whichever letters land face up? Put them in an anagram machine.

I did this and due to the centuries-long controversy surrounding the birth date of Caesar's 2nd concubine, I came up with two separate answers.

One way told me pretty much that I-35 was a holy road, and only the blessed shall pass (must be why I can't seem to get around anybody, huh?).

Inserting the other date in the "code" came back with "SERVE BEAST FOR MONEY".

So...You know...I'm kinda torn.

jbrown84
12-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Oh it gets worse...

YouTube - 700 Club: I-35 Can Stop Homosexuality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5S38LpMgu0)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Oh it gets worse...

YouTube - 700 Club: I-35 Can Stop Homosexuality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5S38LpMgu0)

LMAO!

"...and he said FIRE! And I thought I was trippin' on acid or something..."

jbrown84
12-21-2007, 09:36 AM
This is all coming from the Charismatics.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Sounds like a doo-wop group.

kmf563
12-21-2007, 09:52 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

There are so many funny things about this video I don't even know where to start.

They had an interesting choice of words to use about the guy who felt like he was trippin on acid or something. He got plugged when they laid their hands on him. LMAO!

Oh my mind is wrong. wrong i tell you.

Oh holy 35 - the stars are brightly shiiiii - ning....

Lauri101
12-21-2007, 05:22 PM
I am continually amazed at the mind-f*** done by groups like this. You have to hand it to them - they have the lockstep down pat!

note to kmf - I thought the same thing you did on the "plugged" comment - guess my mind is also warped! :icon_evil