View Full Version : Top 10 Things to do With Your Out-of-School Kids and Out-of-Town Guest

ksearls
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Top 10 Downtown in December Things to do With Your Out-of-School Kids and Out-of-Town Guests

1. Take them Snow Tubing at Chesapeake Snow Tubing at the Brick at the AT&T Bricktown Ball Park for only $10. Beginning Dec. 21 open seven-days-a-week including Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!

2. Take a spin on the ice at Braum’s Ice Skating Rink located in front of the Civic Center Music Hall. Only $8, open everyday through Jan 1 including Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!

3. Float for FREE down the Bricktown Canal on a Water Taxi during Devon Holidays on the Canal. Board the boats Thursday – Sunday from 6:00 – 9:30 across from the Ballpark.

4. Drop a letter off for Santa at The Oklahoman Santa Saturdays located at the foot of The Oklahoman Christmas Tree in Bricktown each Saturday from 6 – 9 p.m. The big man himself visits Santa’s Mailbox to collect letters children have left for him from 6 - 7 p.m.

5. Visit the great restaurants and retailers Downtown and in Bricktown. For a full listing visit DowntownOKC.com.

6. Take a family photo at the beautifully lit Myriad Botanical Gardens, during OG&E Garden Lights. Visit the Crystal Bridge for FREE from 6 – 9 p.m. on Sunday nights through the end of December.

7. Treat your family to a day culture, art and history for FREE during American Fidelity Free Museum Sundays. Visit the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum FREE every Sunday through the end of December.

8. Say hi to Santa as he cruises around Downtown! Sonic Segway Santa will visit Downtown events on his Segway personal transport scooter. Santa will have lots of fun stuff for kids and adults as he gives out holiday light viewing glasses.

9. Don't be a Scrooge! Come spend Christmas night with the Blazers in what has become an annual Oklahoma City tradition. The Blazers face archrival Tulsa at 7:35 p.m. Dec. 25 at the Ford Center

10. Attend the OKC Arts Councils Opening Night on Dec. 31 from 7 p.m.-midnight in venues around Downtown Oklahoma City and Bricktown. This year's entertainment features a variety of performances from some of Oklahoma's brightest stars including a special performance by the Flaming Lips at the Cox Convention Center.

Karried
12-19-2007, 04:50 PM
11) Give them Benadryl

12) Give them Alcohol

I kid, I kid..

Great list ksearls!

Happy Holidays to you!!!

ksearls
12-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Happy Holidays to you too Karried! I like your list.

Anyone else have suggestions for the out-of-towners?

Who and where are your guests coming from? My brother and his wife and kids will be here from England, sister from Austin.

okcpulse
12-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Yes, if they are from Texas, give them a relocation guide. I look forward to my return to Oklahoma City once my purpose here in Texas has been served.

kmf563
12-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I love going to the Omniplex (Oklahoma Science Museum or whatever it's called now) during Christmas to see the display of decorated trees from around the world. Are they doing that this year?

I didn't know the memorial and art museum were free on Sundays! fantastic.

Thanks ksearls!!

CCOKC
12-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I think they moved those trees downtown a few years ago. I remember seeing them at the Cox Center in the public area on the north side of the building.

Karried
12-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Is the Human Body exhibit still going on at the Omniplex? That looks pretty cool..

CCOKC
12-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I do believe the exhibit will be here until March. I didn't see that information on the web site but I saw the museum's director on OKC Metro and I believe that is what he said.

ksearls
12-21-2007, 05:52 AM
kmf,

The display you spoke of, The World of Trees, is not at Ominiplex or Downtown in December anymore. We did it for a couple of years and it was very time-consuming to produce and we never found a good spot for it. It's very hard to find a space that large DT that can be open to the public in the evenings and weekends.

The museums are open free for 2 more Sundays! Don't miss it, it's a great deal and OCMA has a new exhibit.