View Full Version : BOK Building downtown to get makeover!

metro
12-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Investors see downtown as big break

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

The trend of downtown Oklahoma City towers selling to locals continued Monday with the sale of Bank of Oklahoma Plaza for $15.8 million to a group of local investors who are promising a significant makeover.

The buyers, BOKP Investors LLC., consist of Black Mesa Investors, an Oklahoma City real estate investment fund managed by G. Rainey Williams and Greg Wedel. The sale price is lower than the $20.3 million paid in May 2005 by the sellers, First State Investors 234 LLC.

Bill Mee, a member of the investment group, said he and his partners plan to reinvest the difference as part of a promise made to secure a longer lease with lead tenant Bank of Oklahoma. Architectural Design Group has been hired to draw up plans that will include replacement of crumbling brick pavers and new landscaping. The plaza fountain, once a popular gathering spot, hasn't worked for several years. Mee wasn't sure whether it can be fixed or whether it too will have to be replaced.

"We plan to perform significant upgrades to the building's common areas, particularly the exterior plaza which has been in need of repair for several years,” Mee said. "The building enjoys the tenancy of several Class A tenants and we intend to create a Class A environment to match our occupants. We are very optimistic about the future of downtown Oklahoma City and where our building fits in the scheme of things. In addition, we are proud that we were able to bring local capital and ownership to BOK Plaza.”

Located at 201 Robert S. Kerr, the building has been a prominent part of the downtown skyline since it was built in 1972. The 17-story building contains approximately 235,000 square feet and about 80 spaces of underground parking. The transaction also includes the 298-space parking structure located at the northeast corner of Harvey Avenue and Robert S. Kerr.

Craig Tucker, Senior Vice President of Price Edwards & Company, brokered the sale. Carla Curts of Capitol Abstract handled the closing. Price Edwards & Company will be retained to market the building for lease and to provide property management services.

Several prominent downtown towers have sold to local investors in the past few years, including Oklahoma Tower, Leadership Square, and more recently, Kerr-McGee Tower.

"Recent developments, such as SandRidge Energy's purchase of the former Kerr-McGee Tower were positive factors in our decision to purchase the building and gain a foothold in what we believe is a very promising market,” Mee said.

Brett Hamm, president of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., said he welcomes the planned renovations and hopes other building owners will follow suit with plaza improvements as the city pursues a downtown streetscape plan funded by the recently approved bond issue.

"This reflects the enthusiasm for the momentum not just downtown, but for Oklahoma City overall,” Hamm said. "And investors are seeing an opportunity downtown with office space.”

http://static.newsok.biz/article/20071218/3182006/j28-bank1.jpg_12-18-2007_FI5P12H.jpg

CuatrodeMayo
12-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Allright..another working fountain! We need all we can get.

bombermwc
12-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Now if they could only make it not look like it was built in '72....LOL.

CuatrodeMayo
12-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Yea...no joke. That is what I hoped for when I saw the title of this thread. A little misleading.

Shake2005
12-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Is it a good sign when a major downtown building loses 22% of it's value in less than three years?

Pete
12-19-2007, 05:58 PM
This may be a preemptive move out of concern over Devon building a new tower and thus dumping a fair bit of Class A space onto the market once they vacate the various buildings they occupy.

Landlords in those buildings will certainly be offering some good deals. The owners of this building are wise in trying to nail down their big tenants.

Watson410
12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
They should outline the top and side of the tower with red neon lights, Add a lil' character to our skyline... Kinda like the tower in Dallas with the green neon lights.

solitude
12-19-2007, 08:17 PM
They should outline the top and side of the tower with red neon lights, Add a lil' character to our skyline... Kinda like the tower in Dallas with the green neon lights.

I've been waiting for a skinned building trim in OKC.

bombermwc
12-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't think adding lights will do much....it's just a square of lights like 2 other buildings downtown. They need to find a way to re-facade the place. And who ever decided that designing a building with a blank wall like that was a good idea? Elevator shaft or what, it's ugly.

Watson410
12-21-2007, 07:32 AM
bombermwc "I don't think adding lights will do much....it's just a square of lights like 2 other buildings downtown"

There are no towers downtown outlining their structure...

bombermwc
12-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Perhaps youve never seen the lights on the top of the Oklahoma Tower or Liberty Tower....If youre talking running them vertically too, that's just gaudy.

Watson410
12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/Watson410/dallas.jpg

You think thats gaudy? The tower next to it has just the roof outlined, the tower completely outlined looks 100 times better. IMO.

john60
12-21-2007, 03:39 PM
agreed, that looks really really good.

I wonder if SandRidge will put any kind of signage or lighting accents on their tower when completed.

CCOKC
12-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Any one notice that Devon changed their signage on their building recently? Maybe someone could take some pictures and post? I always liked their old ones especially at Christmas when they changed colors from red to green. Not sure what the new one looks like at night.

metro
12-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Any one notice that Devon changed their signage on their building recently? Maybe someone could take some pictures and post? I always liked their old ones especially at Christmas when they changed colors from red to green. Not sure what the new one looks like at night.

I saw a crane out there yesterday. I thought they were just doing sign repairs or maintenance. I'll try and drive by tonight or tomorrow and snap some unless Doug or someone beats me to it.

John
12-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Here's their new logo...

http://www.devonenergy.com/PublishingImages/Adhoc_Image/newsroom/library/media-logoclr_tn.jpg

The official corporate colors are 'clay and slate'.

I haven't paid close attention to the new sign on their building, but I'd think it would still be the same type of sign with the changing LEDs.

zuluwarrior0760
12-22-2007, 04:32 PM
despite the public's affection for it, they decided to forego the kinetic led backlighting....

so long Christmas and Fourth of July themes......

Don't know who changed the logo. I always thought their old one was
very distinctive.......elegant even.......

http://www.smithlighting.com/devon/jdeva.jpg

http://www.smithlighting.com/devon/jdevd.jpg

http://www.smithlighting.com/devon/jdeve.jpg

jbrown84
12-24-2007, 07:44 AM
I never cared for the old logo, nor the multicolor LED.

bombermwc
12-24-2007, 07:47 AM
jbrown, ya boring stick in the mud....lol

Watson, yes I think that building in Dallas is gaudy. I've never liked it and I think it is just a way to try and make a mediocre structure stand out. For some reason it just makes it look cartoon-ish to me...maybe cause it's green.

zuluwarrior0760
12-24-2007, 07:57 AM
I never cared for the old logo, nor the multicolor LED.

Now we know why they changed it........

metro
12-24-2007, 09:02 AM
The new logo is ugly. Whomever designed/approved it must not have much vision.

Kerry
12-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I am indifferent on the new logo but the old one sucked. Those multi-colored lights in the photo above looks like vintage 1976.

John
12-25-2007, 02:03 AM
They never (at least to my knowledge) used the multi-colored scheme. Looks like it is just a test of the LED system. I just remember a scrolling red/green Christmas scheme and red/white/blue during the 4th.

metro
07-16-2008, 12:04 PM
I drove by this past weekend. Looks like most if not all of the removal of the old fixtures, tile, concrete, sculpture, etc. has been done and they should hopefully be installing the new any day now from what I could tell. Hopefully this plaza will be remodeled by end of August. Steve, any chance you could do an article with an update?

jbrown84
07-16-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't believe the sculpture has been removed, unless it happened in the last couple days.

hipsterdoofus
07-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Actually I've been looking every day when I drive by and they've had it torn up for 2 or 3 weeks now. Haven't really seen much work being done since then.

jbrown84
07-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah it's been the same way for 2 or 3 weeks. Any confirmation on whether or not the sculpture is gone?

metro
10-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Progress is finally starting to show. I took these at lunch today.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3184/2965515374_2baf07b196.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2964683661_3d51f65744.jpg?v=0

Here is the original rendering of the project, it has been modified slightly, such as the "red ball" sculpture will be the existing sculpture instead and the awnings are gone and the grand entrance has been scaled down.

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2008/03/29/21/Img/Pc0210500.jpg

metro
01-30-2009, 08:33 AM
It appears the headline writers at the Joklahoman made a careless mistake. Shouldn't it read downtown OKC????? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BOK Plaza renovations echo investors’ belief in downtown Tulsa
Oklahoman
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: January 30, 2009Buzz up!

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/538138/lead620/
The new south plaza at BOK Plaza tower is complete and includes shaded areas for workers and visitors. By PAUL B. SOUTHERLAND, THE OKLAHOMAN

A little more than a year after BOKP Investors took possession of downtown’s BOK Plaza, the crumbling sidewalks outside the tower are gone and $4 million in renovations are almost complete.

William Mee, co-managing partner of BOKP Investors, made the improvements a top priority when his group bought the 17-story building for $15.8 million in December 2007. The Bank of Oklahoma, which leases 40 percent of the tower, was eager to see changes in the tower’s upkeep — and it would only commit to a longer stay if some significant changes were made.

The completed improvements did away with the crumbling brick pavers and created a new open air south plaza. Pergolas with aluminum trellis create shaded areas for visitors to enjoy nice days outside.

Overgrown plantings were removed and replaced with new landscaping and railings that open the plaza to the street.

Mee said tenants have responded with enthusiasm — especially the Bank of Oklahoma. Mee said improvements to the adjoining garage continue, including an $80,000 illuminated entrance sign that will add some flash to the structure. The plaza’s improvements include the addition of $30,000 in outside furniture and a 200-amp electrical board to accommodate bands and concerts.

"We were hoping, of course this was before the economy slowed down, to ride the momentum downtown,” Mee said. "We still believe downtown has a great future.”

http://www.newsok.com/bok-plaza-renovations-echo-investors-belief-in-downtown/article/3341736%20?custom_click=lead_story_title

Steve
01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Metro, the headline has been fixed. Glad to see you're faithful reader of the "Jokelahoman."

:)

okclee
01-30-2009, 09:10 AM
^^ I didn't realize that was a "FATAL" mistake. j/k

metro
01-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Metro, the headline has been fixed. Glad to see you're faithful reader of the "Jokelahoman."

:)

Come on Steve, you know I read your articles regularly. I didn't say you're article was a joke, but the Headline Writers did make a mistake. That said, we all make mistakes, myself included for sure. The paper for the most part is a Joke, however you know I read the paper primarily for your articles on downtown updates. Just curious, did the wrong headline go out in print edition?

Steve
01-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Metro, I'm just having fun with you. Not sure if the smiley face appeared under my post or not. I am going to be a bit defensive of the paper these days - I've never seen as much hard work at this place as I am these days, and I think there are those of us who are trying very hard to produce stories of interest to our readers. And we're doing so in just about every media imaginable (forgive me if I've not ventured out on twitter yet!).
Anyway, how the mistake happened: We now have online editors who customize headlines when the stories go online. The online editor incorrectly assumed that because BOK is based in Tulsa, that this building is in Tulsa.
The mistake was fixed as soon as I saw it.

soonerguru
01-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Steve,

One question that comes to mind of late: why are there so many two and three paragraph "articles" on the online version lately? Are these more fleshed out in the print edition? I often see stuff, not your articles of course, that looks like it might have been put together by first-year J-school student. No depth, sloppy writing, few if any sources. Are interns writing a lot for the online edition now?

CuatrodeMayo
01-30-2009, 12:18 PM
I what like...Wha?

Steve
01-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Sooner, that's a question that goes to people above my pay grade.
(yes, cheap answer, but the truth)

jbrown84
01-30-2009, 07:13 PM
It's not a joke. Such hyperbole...

OKCMallen
01-31-2009, 03:26 PM
I know people on here are often hypercritical, myself included at times, but I gotta say that I don't think the plaza looks all that great. I drive by it every day and it seems unfinished...

jbrown84
01-31-2009, 09:21 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but it seems mismatched with the style of the building. They also ripped out some great trees.

CuatrodeMayo
02-02-2009, 07:40 AM
I like the way it looks...alot. However I don't care for the "fence" separating the plaza from the street. Doesn't feel very "public".