View Full Version : Suicide

Karried
12-13-2007, 10:49 AM
I hate this topic.

Last year a student at my son's high school hung himself. The kids are still reeling from it.

Just a few months ago.... a father of a student in my other son's classroom killed himself. He did it in a way that his 9 year old daughter would most likely find his body. She will be forever affected.

A few days ago, a good friend in CA and told me that our mutual friend (newlywed, I knew his wife and went to their wedding in CA last year), had some problems at work, drove up a hill and then shot himself.

It's too horrible to think about.

My point in writing this is if you know of anyone who is depressed or talking about suicide during this time ( holidays are very hard on some people), please take a moment to lend an ear, refer them to some help or let the authorities know.

Depression can be helped. Suicide can't. It's irreversable.

The pain that these families are going through shouldn't be put on anyone ... they didn't deserve to live out the rest of their lives facing feelings of guilt, remorse and grief.

If you are reading this and have thought about it, please, please get some help.

Contemplating Suicide? 1-800-273-TALK (http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/suicideprevention/concerned.asp)

National Strategy for Suicide Prevention (NSSP): Oklahoma Prevention Programs (http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/suicideprevention/stateprograms/Oklahoma.asp)

Teens can be especially susceptible.... take a moment to talk to them about it.

Suicides among young people continue to be a serious problem. Each year in the U.S., thousands of teenagers commit suicide. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for 15-to-24-year-olds, and the sixth leading cause of death for 5-to-14-year-olds.

Teenagers experience strong feelings of stress, confusion, self-doubt, pressure to succeed, financial uncertainty, and other fears while growing up.

For some teenagers, divorce, the formation of a new family with step-parents and step-siblings, or moving to a new community can be very unsettling and can intensify self-doubts. For some teens, suicide may appear to be a solution to their problems and stress.

Depression and suicidal feelings are treatable mental disorders. The child or adolescent needs to have his or her illness recognized and diagnosed, and appropriate treatment plans developed. When parents are in doubt whether their child has a serious problem, a psychiatric examination can be very helpful. Many of the symptoms of suicidal feelings are similar to those of depression.

Parents should be aware of the following signs of adolescents who may try to kill themselves:

change in eating and sleeping habits
withdrawal from friends, family, and regular activities
violent actions, rebellious behavior, or running away
drug and alcohol use
unusual neglect of personal appearance
marked personality change
persistent boredom, difficulty concentrating, or a decline in the quality of schoolwork
frequent complaints about physical symptoms, often related to emotions, such as stomachaches, headaches, fatigue, etc.
loss of interest in pleasurable activities
not tolerating praise or rewardsA teenager who is planning to commit suicide may also:

complain of being a bad person or feeling rotten inside
give verbal hints with statements such as: I won't be a problem for you much longer, Nothing matters, It's no use, and I won't see you again
put his or her affairs in order, for example, give away favorite possessions, clean his or her room, throw away important belongings, etc.
become suddenly cheerful after a period of depression
have signs of psychosis (hallucinations or bizarre thoughts)If a child or adolescent says, I want to kill myself, or I'm going to commit suicide, always take the statement seriously and immediately seek assistance from a qualified mental health professional. People often feel uncomfortable talking about death. However, asking the child or adolescent whether he or she is depressed or thinking about suicide can be helpful. Rather than putting thoughts in the child's head, such a question will provide assurance that somebody cares and will give the young person the chance to talk about problems.
If one or more of these signs occurs, parents need to talk to their child about their concerns and seek professional help when the concerns persist. With support from family and professional treatment, children and teenagers who are suicidal can heal and return to a more healthy path of development.

kmf563
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Sad but a topic that needs to be discussed. This time of the year is really hard for people. Emotions run crazy.

Just wanted to add a great organization that is really motivating the teens and music industry is To Write Love On Her Arms. Here is a quote from their myspace page -

To Write Love on Her Arms is a work in progress. This began with one broken girl, one painful night; addiction, depression, cutting. This is a glimpse at the five days that followed, a decision to love and to begin telling her true story. To Write Love on Her Arms is becoming something bigger, something hopeful. It's the realization of what life can be when we commit to meeting a need. A friend of mine told me there's no such thing as suicide prevention. This is an attempt to prove him wrong, to say that love can change a life. We can hold back the darkness. Rescue is possible. More soon to come. Join us as we continue to write this story, and as we begin to offer hope to the many hopeless who walk these dark roads. A Jimmy Eat World lyric has been stuck in my head today, "Believe your voice can mean something."

MySpace.com - To Write Love on Her Arms. - 99 - Male - Melbourne, Florida - www.myspace.com/towriteloveonherarms (http://www.myspace.com/towriteloveonherarms)