View Full Version : Core to Shore plan completed

metro
12-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Core to Shore land plans done, now real work begins
The Journal Record
December 13, 2007

OKLAHOMA CITY – The preliminary land use plans for Oklahoma City’s Core to Shore initiative are finished, but implementation could take decades to complete. With the completion of the plan, the project’s steering committee wrapped up a 12-month process to draw a road map for the eventual expansion of development south from downtown Oklahoma City to the north shore of the Oklahoma River.

One of the key considerations is the movement by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation of Interstate 40 from the south side of downtown to about seven blocks south. That realignment of the interstate is set for completion in 2012, at which time plans call for a boulevard to be built in its former spot, presenting a gateway into downtown. But the path to completing development of the 750 acres will have to get past zoning and planning issues before being presented in its final form to the City Council.

Paying for the project will likely require a public-private partnership, where public funds will provide the infrastructure and several key elements, while the private sector would build housing, retail and office components in the area.

Russell Claus, division manager with city planning, said the renderings and plans presented to the committee are not what will be, but what can be. Claus said many elements including a large park, a new convention center and housing districts were merely place holders on the conceptual plans to give committee members an idea of how the areas might shape up as the project moves forward.“It is adaptable,” Claus said. “This is a framework.”

A key element is housing, which the project’s planners hope will target a wide spectrum of buyers to eventually relocate south of downtown.“We want to try and create an environment that is available to everybody,” Claus said. “In terms of residential we want everybody to be able to afford to live there.”What actually shapes up as far as housing developments, however, will likely be built by private entities depending on the market demand.

Dave Lopez, vice chairman of the steering committee, applauded Oklahoma City voters who on Tuesday passed an $835.5 bond issue for street repair and infrastructure, millions of which will ultimately be funneled to the Core to Shore area for roads, sidewalks and parks.

Obtaining the land for public projects will be another issue planners will have to consider. Kirk Humphreys, former Oklahoma City mayor and steering committee member, said it is imperative for the city to acquire control of the land it needs for the public projects as soon as possible.

Several key properties in the area where a large park could sit are a U.S. Postal Service building and buildings and property owned by the Salvation Army and Goodwill Industries. The postal building at 320 SW Fifth St. is for sale and in October the City Council authorized the city manager to begin negotiations to purchase that building.

Lopez said Goodwill and the Salvation Army have expressed interest and taken steps to find the value of their properties and look at relocation options.“That discussion I think is going very well,” Lopez said. “Each has had initial appraisals done and that’s very encouraging because those are key parcels.”Core to Shore is envisioned to progress in three stages beginning next year and extending beyond 2020 as an extension of downtown rather than an area competing for residents, retailers and office tenants.

“We want it to be compatible with what we’ve already got going on in downtown,” Claus said. “We’re not creating something that is going to be competing, it’s going to support, that’s been the fundamental element of the whole planning process.”

Midtowner
12-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Is OCURA in charge?

bombermwc
12-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Id love to see a masterplan.

CuatrodeMayo
12-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Where ya been?

http://okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/documents/092607Public%20Meeting.pdf (http://okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/documents/092607Public%20Meeting.pdf)

dismayed
12-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I like how modern the lights, park benches, and buildings look in those renderings.

solitude
12-13-2007, 10:46 PM
It's coming along nicely. I like the public involvement in the planning and the way they have actively sought public input. I have been to two C2S meetings and have always been treated with respect and felt my thoughts and ideas were listened to.

By the way, the best way to keep up-to-date on C2S is to visit the official website (http://okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/). From there, you can navigate the whole thing from the very beginning. The first plans are there, the revised maps and drawings, to the most current renderings. No question it's all quite nice. And from one who has participated, I clearly see changes implemented from ideas thrown out at these meetings. I like that. The job Hans Butzer, Anthony McDermid and others have done is exciting. To me, there's no question that C2S is Oklahoma City's brightest project on the table. Our kid's and our kid's kids will thank us.

bombermwc
12-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Cuatro - a final plan...not one from September

brianinok
12-15-2007, 03:49 PM
I like what I have seen so far from this plan. My only major complaint would be the lack of high rises planned for the west border of the Central Park. They basically show many low-to-mid rise residential units. I think this should be some combination of high rise residential, hotels, and maybe even some offices. There should be a minimum of 10 or 15 floors for lots bordering the Central Park.

solitude
12-15-2007, 03:56 PM
I like what I have seen so far from this plan. My only major complaint would be the lack of high rises planned for the west border of the Central Park. They basically show many low-to-mid rise residential units. I think this should be some combination of high rise residential, hotels, and maybe even some offices. There should be a minimum of 10 or 15 floors for lots bordering the Central Park.

Brian, This was discussed at the meetings. While I tend to agree with you that there should be options for high-rise, it seemed most involved were most interested in height restrictions and even the mid-rises were a bit controversial. There has definitely been a concerted effort to keep it more "shore" than "core" if you know what I mean, the whole park setting, etc. As for offices, there is dedicated space for an office park on the west side. Am I mistaken?

brianinok
12-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Where is the office park?? I don't see it anywhere.

And I just don't understand the aversion to high rises (let alone mid rises). Some of it would literally be across the street from proposed high rises. Are we trying to create an urban environment or not? I don't know, maybe we should just develop the whole C2S area with 1 acre lots for 4,000 sq ft houses....