View Full Version : Generators Craigs List

Karried
12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
If you know anyone who may be without power for an extended length of time... I saw some Generators listed on Craigs List under General in OKC.

If anyone has spotted an abundance of generators ( ie Sams Club ) and can direct people in need, post here.

One location I have heard of I240 - Shields - Parking Lot - Burlington Coat Factory parking lot $600

Make sure please that you buy an alarm to check the carbon monoxide levels..

MadMonk
12-11-2007, 09:13 PM
I lost power late last night and went looking for generators, but had no luck. Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Sam's, Ace Hardware, etc were all sold out on the N. side. A Sam's employee claimed they'd would be getting a truck in with some late tonight, but she couldn't say when. I managed to find one in Kingfisher at the Ace Hardware. I got the last one. ;)

Lucky me, I was just about to hook it up to my house when the power came back on! Arrgh! Oh well, at least I'll have it for next time.

Maybe I'll get reimbursed by FEMA! :D

Karried
12-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Having heard that there was a loss of life due to carbon monoxide, I wanted to reiterate to please take a minute to call a family member who is using a generator and convey the importance of an alarm.

This family had their generator outside the home!

A detector would have saved their lives.

You might just save someone's life by reminding them to get one!

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

Dizziness
Nausea
Headache

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning or other illnesses and can have a long term health risk if left unattended. Some of the symptoms are the following.

Shortness of breath
Mild nausea
Mild headachesModerate levels of CO exposure can cause death if the following symptoms persist for a long measure of time.

Headaches
Dizziness
Nausea
Light-headednessHigh levels of CO can be fatal causing death within minutes.

Treatment Options
There are immediate measures you can take to help those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Get the victim into fresh air immediately.
If you can not get the people out of the house, then open all windows and doors. Any combustion appliances should be turned off.
Take those who were subjected to carbon monoxide to a hospital emergency room as quickly as possible. A simple blood test will be able to determine if carbon monoxide poisoning has occurred.

MadMonk
12-12-2007, 10:39 AM
I think I heard it mentioned on the news of someone using a charcoal grill in their home to keep warm! W-T-H? Darwin's culling the human herd again.

metro
12-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Most places including Craigslist are out of generators before you can get to them or email a person, but every option does help. Luckily, my power never went out.

Karried
12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I bought a Carbon Monoxide Detector yesterday and I don't even have a generator! lol... but we have been using our gas fireplace non-stop so I'm erring on the side of caution. I just think that's such a stupid way to die.

Safety tips

•On gas flame devices, look at the color of the flame. A hot blue flame produces less carbon monoxide and more heat than a flickering yellow flame. If you see yellow flames in your furnace or stove burner, it should be adjusted so that the flame is blue.

•Don't use unvented gas or kerosene heaters in closed spaces, especially sleeping areas.

•Don't use gas appliances such as an oven, range or clothes dryer to heat.

•Don't burn charcoal inside, even in a fireplace.
•Never use an electrical generator indoors or in an attached garage. Only operate it outdoors in a well-ventilated, dry area, away from air intakes to the home, and protected from direct exposure to rain and snow, preferably under a canopy, open shed or carport.

Karried
12-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Sam's Club on Memorial and Penn has them $600-$900.

Also Home Depot on Penn ( Closest to the Mall) has smaller portable ones 3500-4000 ( whatever that means) for under $500

dalelakin
12-13-2007, 07:47 PM
I am saving my pennies for something similar to this. Guardian 10 kW Emergency Power System 05241 @ Electric Generators Direct.com - Your Online Portable Power and Home Standby Generator Superstore (http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=53_164_143&products_id=371)

oneforone
12-13-2007, 08:14 PM
When I buy a home that is one of the first things I will have installed. It really suprises me that more home builders are not offering it as an option.

I would think a generator would rank up there with a storage building, pool, sprinkler or alarm system.

Luke
12-14-2007, 08:04 AM
I got a 5000 watt generator from Pep Boys for $350 with oil and tax.

I'm in Del City and still don't have electricity. Thankfully, the generator gives my wireless modem and satellite power. Its very convenient.

Midtowner
12-14-2007, 08:19 AM
My father got an 8000 watt generator from O'Reilly's (sp) Auto Parts for about $1,000.

Karried
12-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Oh Luke.. how's Isabella holding up with no power?

What's the difference anyway regarding how many appliances and things that can run on different watts ?

For instance, 5000 ? What type of load will that carry? Refrigerator? Lights? TV? Can I still go online = router, computers, Xbox Live (lol) ?

Luke
12-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Isabella is warm and happy! :) Thanks for asking.

Well, I'm no electrician. All I know is that a 32 inch widescreen tube tv, a Dish DVR, a Wii, two 5-headed lamps (with energy saver bulbs), a fan, a laptop and two phones charging will all work on a 5,000 watt generator without a flicker. My neighbor has the same generator and has plugged his Central Heat/Air unit into the generator and is doing fine.

Here is a list of appliances and their wattage:

Appliance Usage List (http://www.psnh.com/Residential/ReduceBill/Applianceusage.asp)

Looking at that, I think I can run quite a bit more than I'm currently running.

My next goal will be to get an electrician to come out and put something in to allow me to hook up the generator to the house's wiring. Obviously, you just have to be careful with what is on and off in a situation like that.

With what you want to do, you should be just fine on a generator.

Midtowner
12-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Luke -- it's not really hard to hook that up to a breaker box. You need a 4-prong 30 Amp plug and some wire. The part will set you back about $30 at Emsco.

Luke
12-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Well, I've heard that it can be very dangerous to do it yourself. I'm about as far away from technical as possible so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Apparently I need to take my house off the grid so that the generator doesn't back feed into the line and shock a line worker. In my research online I also need a transfer box or something.

In any case, I would rather have extension cords strewn through the house than potentially fry my appliances or worse, a line worker.

MadMonk
12-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Now that I've purchased a generator, I plan on putting in a transfer box in the future too. But in the mean time you can use your dryer outlet for a 240v in-feed to the house.

The wire connections are inexpensive, but the wire won't be, for a four-conducter, 30A cable figure around $2.50/ft. You'll want to have enough line so that the generator can be placed somewhere with plenty of ventilation. I bought 30ft to reach from my dryer connection to the side door of my garage, with a little slack - $75 (but Emsco may have it cheaper).

Karried
12-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Don't forget.. (I sound like a broken record)

Carbon Monoxide Alarm !!!!!

If you're dropping a grand on a generator, for goodness sakes throw in a $20 alarm...

( lol, I freaked myself out so much I went and bought one and I don't even have a generator! ha,ha)

I mean it though.. go get one, right now.

Luke
12-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I have a CO detector. Plus, I moved all my patio furniture to the middle of the yard and chained the generator to all of it. It's about 10 yards away from my back door and the exhaust pipe is aimed away from the house. PLUS, I've hung a sleeping bag over the patio door and closed the sliding door on the sleeping bag so no air can even get in from the back yard.

It is important to be safe!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Now that I've purchased a generator, I plan on putting in a transfer box in the future too. But in the mean time you can use your dryer outlet for a 240v in-feed to the house.

The wire connections are inexpensive, but the wire won't be, for a four-conducter, 30A cable figure around $2.50/ft. You'll want to have enough line so that the generator can be placed somewhere with plenty of ventilation. I bought 30ft to reach from my dryer connection to the side door of my garage, with a little slack - $75 (but Emsco may have it cheaper).

Sounds about right.I seem to remember that it cost me about $50-$70 total for all the parts to build a 30' extension cord for my welder.

Karried
12-14-2007, 11:46 PM
btw... I just read that in Midwest City, people are stealing generators off of people's porches.

Who needs this? Two weeks before Christmas, struggling to stay warm and some idiot takes off with your brand new generator?

Anyway, now in addition to worrying about everything else, you have to lock up your generator because some stupid lowlife looters are out for the easy money. I say throw the book at them. ugh

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Well heck, the power is right there...It would be easy to run a few extra volts into the frame of the generator. Kinda like a bugzapper for thieves. Plus, you'll have a smug sense of satisfaction every time the lights dim because you know you got another one.

dismayed
12-15-2007, 10:22 AM
FYI if you hook a generator up incorrectly it can actually send power back out and into the OG&E grid. Although your neighbors might thank you for partially powering their houses, the OG&E linemen will surely be upset when they grab onto a line they think is powered down.