View Full Version : News 9/ Daily Oklahoman website, I thought they split

metro
12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I could have swore there was an article (posted here) about a year ago that told about the partnership with Griffen Media ending with News 9 and that they would split up websites and no longer share. They said it would take about a year to make the change and I thought that was supposed to be done this past November. Well it's December now and they still share a website. I did two searches and couldn't seem to find that old thread. Does anyone know if they are still trying to redesign and have their own separate websites now? Steve, maybe you can enlighten us.

FritterGirl
12-07-2007, 01:20 PM
I heard something about this at lunch today. The plan is still on. No idea as to the timeline. "Soon," I was told. KWTV is also supposed to be launching its own radio network of some kind.

drumsncode
12-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Wow! Maybe we can have "My 2 Cents" all day long! Are we ready for that?!

I can tell you, the definition of "soon" for a software project is fraught with peril.

Boss says, "Soon"

Project Leader says, "We're making progress"

Programmers on the team, "This project will never get done, I'm floating my resume."

Sadly, I'm not joking all that much.

metro
12-07-2007, 02:24 PM
I mean how long does it take to build a website, almost a year seems pretty long enough to me. Geez.

soonerj
12-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Hello all, this is my first comment on here, though I have been viewing the site for some time now. I've heard on good authority that News9's site should be up and running sometime in January, unless it has been pushed back again.

FritterGirl
12-07-2007, 02:32 PM
I mean how long does it take to build a website, almost a year seems pretty long enough to me. Geez.
From what I understand, there's a whole lot more to it than "just a website."

oneforone
12-07-2007, 07:34 PM
I had heard it was going to happen in the first part of 2008. From what I understood, it was mutual business decision.

Both parties are wanting to provide their own content and eliminate the repetitiveness on the website. Not mention, there are certain time when Newsok.com becomes bogged down because of the amount of people and information that is on the site.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-07-2007, 10:18 PM

I can build a site using only notepad and some webspace in about 3 minutes flat. It'll say "HELLO WORLD" and that's about it...But it'll be a site. I can build a website with a nice forum and a catchy domain with little more effort and a couple of bucks for software and webhosting. Let a couple of people moderate the forum and do a little upkeep on the backend, and it pretty much runs itself.

But there's a reason people get paid good money to build and work on large sites that consist of more than a forum and a few articles....It's hard work. Especially when you take into account the amount of archived data both of those sites would need to be accessible...Not to mention separated from each other. It can get pretty complicated very quickly and would probably be an enormous headache.

oneforone
12-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I wonder if the new site will look anything like Griffin's Tulsa station KOTV.

KOTV.com - The News On 6 (http://kotv.com/)

jbrown84
12-10-2007, 08:05 AM
That site is not as good as NewsOK, but far, far better than KOCO or KFOR's awful, busy, cluttered sites.

OKCVoyager
12-19-2007, 09:17 PM
See I think KOCO 5's site is my favorite. NewsOK's site has so many advertisements on it that one wonders if their priority is news or advertisements..makes it hard to find anything. KFOR's site is antiquated and needs work. KOCO seems to be taking the lead when it comes to keeping their site up to date with news and I like how they stream live tv at times when breaking news happens..unlike the other two stations. Anyways, just my opinion.

venture
12-20-2007, 08:40 AM
I find myself using KOCO more and more now. I'm with you, the ads on NewsOK just get to be annoying - especially the popup flash ads that can be a pain to get rid of.

metro
12-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Same here, KOCO's site seems to be the best by far, I get bombarded by ads on NewsOK, and well KFOR is outdated.

jbrown84
12-20-2007, 01:24 PM
I despise KOCO's website. Very unprofessional looking. Busy and hard to use.

venture
12-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Perhaps they can add in a few unblockable flash popups and that will make it better. :-P

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Perhaps they can add in a few unblockable flash popups and that will make it better. :-P

Nothing is unblockable :)

soonerj
12-24-2007, 08:00 AM
I've been told by a News9 employee that the new Web site will be rolled out on Jan. 1. He personally didn't care much for the prototype, so we'll see what it looks like here in about a week or so.

Intrepid
12-26-2007, 05:25 PM
I noticed today that the newsok.com web site no longer includes News9's weather information (radars, 7 day forecast, etc.) It's all coming from AccuWeather.

This must've happened today as the News9 info was still on there as of last night.

soonerj
12-29-2007, 03:55 PM
It's official, folks. News9's Web site was unveiled today. They even have their own online news reporting team. Not sure how I feel about the site yet. I'll probably still get my news from NewsOK.com

News9's site is: news9.com

solitude
12-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Better than I expected! I'm sure it can be picked apart, but it's actually quite good.
News9.com (http://www.news9.com)

windowphobe
12-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I still think they should have ripped off their sister station in Tulsa. Not pretty, but a lot less widgetroid bumfuzzlement.

windowphobe
12-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Oh, and did you notice the subheading under Sports that says "SuperSonics"? Can you say "jumping the gun"?

Intrepid
12-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Oh, and did you notice the subheading under Sports that says "SuperSonics"? Can you say "jumping the gun"?

Considering that Bennet has filed the paperwork naming Oklahoma City as his choice of cities to relocate to, I think it's appropriate to have a sub-heading related to the SuperSonics.

If it was still up in the air as to where he wanted to go, I'd have to agree with ya.

jbrown84
01-02-2008, 09:19 AM

There are also subheadings for Fiesta Bowl and Insight Bowl--obviously temporary. The Sonics will surely be in OKC news for several years, even if we ultimately don't get them.

kmf563
01-02-2008, 09:37 AM
I think it's easy to navigate, not a lot of flash and pop ups that are annoying. Which the newsok site still has so I am happy with the split.