View Full Version : IMAX in Tulsa

Ginkasa
12-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Does anyone know the dimensions, in feet, of the IMAX screen in Tulsa? Or where I could find such information?

Karried
12-06-2007, 06:49 AM
This movie theatre houses the first IMAX theatre in the state of Oklahoma.

The Cinemark IMAX Theatre screen is 5 stories tall and 7 stories wide (50 X 70 feet), easily the largest screen in Tulsa.

IMAX motion picture systems create images of unsurpassed size, clarity, and impact enhanced by superb specially designed sound system. The sheer size of a 15/70 film frame, combined with the unique IMAX projection technology, is the key to the extraordinary sharpness and clarity of a 15/70 film.

The combination of IMAX Oscar winning technology and Cinemark's customer pleasing features makes Cinemark in Tulsa "The Best Seat in Town."

The complex also has 16 screens playing the latest first run movies. The style of the theatre is reminiscent of the Golden Age of Hollywood. The lobby is art deco and they combine the look of the past with new technology.

The theatre also has a "Studio Eats" movie themed cafe.

Cinemark Imax Theatre At Tulsa in Tulsa, OK - AOL Local Yellow Pages (http://yellowpages.aol.com/business/cinemark-imax-theatre-at-tulsa/tulsa/ok/0,106081713/)

Ginkasa
12-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks! You're awesome!

Of course, this means I got gypped when I saw Beowulf in 3D there (the filmmaker's fault, not the theatre's or format's), but oh well :)

Karried
12-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Your Welcome!

But, what do you mean you got gypped ?

Did they give you glasses or is this a smaller screen than other IMAX's?

Ginkasa
12-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Beowulf kept its original aspect ratio, 2.35:1, which is much wider than 1.4:1ish ratio the full IMAX screen has. So when the film is projected onto the screen, it covers the width of the screen, sure, but it only goes about halfway up the height of the screen.

So, while the screen is 70x50, the picture was only about 70x30 in order to preserve the aspect ratio. 70x30 is, incidentally, the dimensions of the Cine Capri at Harkins Theatres in Bricktown. And since I work at Harkins, I can see movies for free, and did, in fact, see Beowulf in the Capri for free.

So when I went to Tulsa and was pretty excited to experience IMAX for the first time, I not only didn't get the full experience (since barely half the screen was used), but I had already seen the movie (for free!) with the same size picture.

To make matter worse, I had actually been PAID to see it in digital 3D before it was officially released. So I paid $20 to see something for the third time with no real benefit.

So, I feel gypped. :)

Karried
12-06-2007, 03:22 PM
ahhhh, I see what you are saying!

I'm sorry to hear that!

I want to see Beowulf again in 3D ... I thought it was a pretty cool flick. Is it worth a trip to CineCapri to see it in 3D ( again ?).

Ginkasa
12-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Its not 3D on the Cine Capri, unfortunately. While the Cine Capri is very large (and apparently the same size as Beowulf in IMAX) it is not an IMAX screen and they didn't release a 35mm 3D print.

But we do have it in digital 3D. The screen is smaller (but not, necessarily, small), but the picture is very high quality and the 3D is more consistent than its IMAX counter-part (or so I thought).