View Full Version : San Antonio

CCOKC
12-03-2007, 05:14 PM
For those of you who went to the Big 12 Championship or anyone else who has been to San Antonio recently what were your impressions? I was there a few weeks ago and I have to say I was under whelmed. I stayed in the Marriott Riverwalk and parked my car and did not particularly want to move it during my stay. I was there for 6 days and have to say I ran out of things to do after a couple of days. The mall downtown is a joke and there is not much shopping that I found within walking distance. As some have mentioned already the Mexican food was average. I did revisit the Alamo which was nice since I was by myself and could take my own time to explore.

I know that SA has a ton of conventions and the skyline reflects that. Almost all of the highrises downtown seem to be Hotels. I think if OKC does build a large convention center we could attract some of that business. One example, the Spurs were in town and we would have gone to a game (not opposed to paying a scalper outside) except the ATT Center is not downtown and by the time we got a cab there the game would have been about a quarter over and we were not willing to do that. If we do get the Sonics, the Ford Center being within walking distance if a definite plus. Any thoughts.

MadMonk
12-03-2007, 08:02 PM
I went there with my family this past summer and had a great time. Seaworld, Natural Bridge Caverns, the Alamo, the riverwalk. I wasn't there for six days though, just four; but I'm sure I could have found something to fill the other two days. In fact, we are planning next year to go to the Schlitterbahn park just north of S.A.

I wasn't limiting myself by keeping the car parked though. I can see how the downtown area would get old after that long of a time. I bet the Alamo was nice to explore when the temps weren't pushing 100 degrees! I was roasting when we were there.

adaniel
12-03-2007, 08:32 PM
CCOKC, San Antone is actually a very charming town but you'll have to get out of the tourist trap areas around the Alamo/Riverwalk area to really experience it. Yeah I agree that the mall on the river is a real snore, but on the north side there some excellent shopping choices (I believe its called NorthPark), all in an area that would make Nichols Hills look like the projects. And its a lot less packed than anything you'd find in DFW or Houston. And if you really want some great Mexican food, head down to one of the many hole-in-the-walls around the city. The restaurants around the Riverwalk have never been anything to do a backflip over. Also, I don't know when you went but this time of the year its definitely a little drab. I suggest you go in April. Its not sweltering but there are lots of things going on like Fiesta and such.

CuatrodeMayo
12-04-2007, 12:04 AM
One of my favorite American cities.

CCOKC
12-04-2007, 07:50 AM
I am not disputing the fact that San Antonio is a great city. In fact this was not my first trip there and I have enjoyed the areas outside of downtown. The Mission Trail is great and they have one of the great zoos in the country. I just think the downtown was disappointing which was a surprise to me considering how many people are there at any given time for conventions. I am really not into shopping and didn't want to get in my car and drive through the traffic for 30 minutes but if good shopping had been downtown I probably would have dropped some good money.

metro
12-04-2007, 08:18 AM
mods can we merge this with the other San Antonio thread that was started a few days before this?

Misty
12-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Maybe we can also merge the dozens of different lifechurch threads you've started together too.

I thought it was established a while ago that moderating would be left to the moderators?

jbrown84
12-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Maybe we can also merge the dozens of different lifechurch threads you've started together too.

:LolLolLol