View Full Version : Conncourse Renovation

metro
12-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Concourse renovation project moves forward
by Heidi R. Centrella
The Journal Record
12/2/2004

Downtown OKC officials are making slow but steady progress on a $2.1 million concourse renovation project.
Thus far, the group has broken property owners in the Central Business District into three levels of assessment - those who are connected to the downtown underground concourse and whose concourse area will receive renovation, those who are connected via sky walks or whose basement of the building appears to those traversing to be part of the concourse and those who are not connected, but have property in the Business District.

The affected businesses will be assessed for 10 years.

While about half, or close to $1 million, of the renovations will be funded through the Business Improvement District, officials plan for the other half to be funded through a new Special Improvement District. With the SID, more than 51 percent of people affected must approve a petition.

"So what we're doing right now is going to each individual property owner and getting a verbal response before we actually go out with a petition," said Alison Oshel, vice president of operations for Downtown OKC.

Of the first and most expensive property tiers, the 75 percent of building owners Downtown OKC officials have contacted gave verbal approval to move forward with plans. Organization officials also have met with 30 percent of second-tier owners and 31 percent of third-tier owners - all of whom have shown a verbal thumbs up.

Oshel said she plans for petitions to be mailed to property owners in January and to make the city council agenda in February.

Many legal issues have tied up the progress of the concourse project, but Oshel said the various issues have been ironed out, she feels they are on the home stretch.

"The legal documents are in the hands of the city attorney to approve," she said. "And we're making preliminary steps to make sure that when we do send out our petition via mail that people aren't going to be surprised to get it and that we'll feel like we're going to have some willingness for them to put their name on the line."

Heidi R. Centrella reports on energy, health care, city government and social issues. You may reach her by phone at 278-2838 or by e-mail at heidi.centrella@journalrecord.com.

Midtowner
12-02-2004, 08:46 AM
I use the concourse every once in awhile to get from wherever I end up parking to the courthouse. It works fine, but it's an ugly place. Carpet has not been changed since the early 80's. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's actually being held together with duct tape in many cases.

mranderson
12-02-2004, 09:00 AM
I use the concourse every once in awhile to get from wherever I end up parking to the courthouse. It works fine, but it's an ugly place. Carpet has not been changed since the early 80's. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's actually being held together with duct tape in many cases.

Fine example of our city's image. :noldus:

Midtowner
12-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Fine example of our city's image. :noldus:

I'm glad that so few people even know the concourse exists. I'd be ashamed to bring an out of state client or visitor to the city down there in its present condition.

I remember back in the 80's, the place was extremely well used. There were also some very tasty restaurants down there. At least they had hellagood pizza.

metro
12-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I remember Midtowner down there when I was a kid in the 80's. The present condition is "musty" with all the moisture and that nasty carpet.

Patrick
12-04-2004, 02:12 AM
I'd be ashamed to bring an out of state client or visitor to the city down there in its present condition.

It's a shame that the concourse is in its current state of negelct and disrepair. I remember when I was a young child back in the 80's...everytime we had someone here from out of town, we'd take them to the Conncourse. Midtowner's assessment of the present condition shows the complete reverse. But he's right on in his assessment. With the right renovations, I think the Conncourse can come back to life. But we must continue to maintain it. For many years, one of the largest problems was that no one wanted to take ownership responsiblities when it came to maintenance. Hopefully now that problem is solved.

I miss all of the great shops and restaurants that used to be in the Conncourse.

BG918
12-08-2004, 11:50 AM
I've never heard of the Concourse, where is it located? Is it some sort of tunnel system under downtown?

Midtowner
12-08-2004, 11:53 AM
It's a tunnel system that connects many major buildings downtown. Was a focal point of a corrupt "non-profit" organization called the Oklahoma Industry Authority back in the 70's. They connected a lot of buildings with this tunnel system amazingly, most of these buildings were owned by OIA members! Shock!

But, now, we're stuck with it. I think we could invest a little money to make it look good again. I don't know about 1 million for new carpet and paint. The stuff can't be that expensive.

Patrick
12-08-2004, 10:17 PM
BG, it was kind of kind of like an underground city back in it's heyday! It was full of shops, restaurants, snack bars, convenient stores, barbers, salons, nail salons, shoe shining services, cleaners, bank service windows, etc. There are still a few restaurants down there open for lunch and a couple of shops, but pretty much everything has closed in recent years. So we're left with a run-down dark tunnel system with lots of vacant space.
Many downtown employees still use the tunnel system to walk from building to building. The tunnel system starts at the Cox Convention Center and works it's way north, then west, and onto the County Courthouse. It covers buildings like the Sheraton, Devon, Bank One, First National, Leadership Square, the County Court House, Kerr McGee, etc.

If you get a chance sometime, go into the First National Center, go down to the basement, and enter the tunnel system. Maps of the tunnel system are posted periodically.

swake
12-09-2004, 09:22 AM
BG, you're from Tulsa right? We have a system of tunnels too, nothing near as large as what is in OKC, but most cities do have them

metro
12-09-2004, 11:19 AM
actually, most cities dont, there was an article awhile back in the journal record I believe showing how much of an asset it really is. at least we are finally doing something about it, the sketches look very impressive. you can find them on downtownokc.com

swake
12-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Minneapolis does, it’s huge, not tunnels though, it’s a system of skywalks. Des Moines has a skywalk system too, with a full shopping mall carved out of several downtown buildings. Both systems are far larger than even OKCs. Tulsa has a small system of tunnels and skywalks, some sections are very nice, some are utilitarian. You can make it all the way from the Williams Center Garages on the North side of first all the way to Fifth and never go outside, that’s probably half a mile. The part that connects the Williams Center with the 320 S Boston Building and the Atlas Life Building is really cool. The part that connects the Main Mall garage to the First Place Tower is very plain.

BG918
12-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Swake, yes I know about the tunnels in downtown Tulsa. I worked in the 320 Boston building over the summer and would have to go in them everyday because our storage room was under the Kennedy Building across the street. It's like a time warp back to the 80's whenever I would go down there, especially the tunnel that goes under Boston Ave. The tunnel that connects to the Mid-Con Tower is really nice though and their underground lobby is very nicely decorated. The other tunnels are pretty plain, nothing special about them. I can't see them ever really being utilized by anyone other than office workers.

I'll have to check out OKC's system sometime, it sounds more impressive.

metro
12-09-2004, 03:48 PM
yeah that would be cool, instead of new carpet, lets make it a time warp machine to the 80's. we could decorate it like a delorean

mranderson
12-09-2004, 03:51 PM
yeah that would be cool, instead of new carpet, lets make it a time warp machine to the 80's. we could decorate it like a delorean

We need to find a flux capacitor and a big dog named Einstein, then we can proceed at 88 miles per hour.

wally
12-09-2004, 09:49 PM
I have heard about the owns in Downtown Tulsa but i have never toured it. Not that many people know about the tunnels. Thats something that I can look forward into doing in Downtown.

wally
12-09-2004, 09:49 PM
I have heard about the wons in Downtown Tulsa but i have never toured it. Not that many people know about the tunnels. Thats something that I can look forward into doing in Downtown.

metro
01-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Talked with Dave Lopez tonight, it appears Downtown Inc. will try to secure B.I.D. money for Conncourse renovation this year. He also mentioned another lighted Bricktown sign will be going up on the Reno bridge soon. Look for alot of other new exciting things to come!

Patrick
01-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Excellent! Definitely glad to hear that a new Bricktown sign will be going up. I was hoping both sides would match. Right now, on the Reno bridge, the old sign still remains.

metro
01-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Yep, it was financed by the B.I.D. tax increment, be watching for more upgrades downtown as well. I also pitched him my electronic billboard/ticker idea as well, he sounds excited and is willing to help as much as he can

Luke
01-10-2005, 09:38 PM
I went to the AEP meeting tonight. The guest speaker was David Lopez, President of Downtown OKC, Inc. He had a ton of great information that I'll post in my blog (hopefully tomorrow). I took a couple pages of notes, so it should be a good read!

metro
01-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Luke, glad you could make it to our AEP meeting tonight, wish I could have met you. PM me on where you were sitting and what you were wearing so I can figure out who you are. Most of the info Dave Lopez gave was old news that could be found on OKCTalk or other websites, however his background and other opportunities were interesting to hear.

He did re-emphasize my point several weeks ago in that most cities DO NOT have a conncourse or underground tunnel system and that several larger cities are coming to us for advice in possibly adding them to their cities as it is an asset, especially in bad weather where someone can go to almost every building downtown and not get exposed to the weather. I've seen the renderings to the conncourse and they look amazing, the proposed entrances are of a glass that illuminates blue. I think there are pictures in the downtown 2010 file on okc.gov

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 06:13 PM
That downtown website had some great pics. I really liked the entrances that are planned for the Concourse. It is a lighted dark blue glass triangle structure (it dips in the rear because I suppose it has steps.)

metro
10-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Here's the latest:

Architect sees chance to improve Conncourse tunnels

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

With an early positive response coming in for a special assessment district, a March start is being predicted for a $2 million overhaul of downtown Oklahoma City's Conncourse tunnels.
The renovation originally was planned as part of the business improvement district created five years ago, but Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., which oversees the district, sought a new special assessment when the project expanded beyond new paint and carpeting.

The special assessment will need signatures from at least 51 percent of the 76 property owners along the tunnels. Alison Oshel, vice president of operations, reported at the district's board meeting that 13 responses were in, with 11 supporting the new assessment.

Responses are due by Oct. 14.

"We're encouraged by the preliminary responses," Oshel said. "I've had only one surprise -- someone who said 'yes' who I had as being a 'maybe' or a 'no.'"

Designs by architect Rand Elliott call for the tunnels to be renamed "The Underground," and for new emergency systems and directional signs, improvements to air-conditioning and heating systems and lighting, creation of historical galleries and a grand entry on the northwest plaza of Chase Tower at Broadway and Park Place.

Elliott, known for creative use of lighting in designs, also has created a new multicolored lighting for the tunnels. White lighting will indicate a visitor is about to enter one of the new galleries.

"I've always felt like the Conncourse had terrific potential on several levels," Elliott said. "In its current condition, it doesn't make you feel great about being downtown. It's not in great condition. You don't learn anything being down there, it doesn't add any quality to your daily life. But it gets you from point A to point B without getting wet or snowed on."

Elliott thinks his design solves the quandary of returning the tunnels to their early 1980s heyday, when adjoining restaurants and shops were packed with workers, without drawing people away from the street level life that has made a comeback in recent years.

Street level connections, including the new entry at Chase Tower, will create opportunities for people to enjoy both areas of downtown, Elliott said.

Underground historic photo galleries, he said, will make the tunnels a new downtown venue and an opportunity for visiting school children to learn about their city.

"It's not a place where you go and stay," Elliott said. "It's for when you're on the way to a Hornets game, and you're going to stop at one of the new underground cafes. Or for court duty, once you're turned loose on a break, you will know there are things to do down there."

Pete
10-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Looks like this is finally going to happen, which is good news.

I've always had mixed feelings about the Conncourse... When I worked downtown, it was handy but the BID seems pretty dead most the time and funneling people underground makes it feel more that way.

jbrown84
10-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Has anyone seen the "Underground" logo. If you go to downtownokc.com and go to the Underground map, it's on there. I like it. You'll have to download the pdf and the logo is on the left.

metro
10-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Yeah and the Glass entryway with multicolor lighting looks sweet too.

Karried
10-07-2005, 08:50 AM
I know where I'll be when the next F5 comes roaring through town -

Actually, if it is done correctly, it will be Sweet!!!

I think it is a great plan for inclement weather - I hope they post some security down there though, it is kinda creepy.

I think the kids on field trips would get a kick out of the tour - I know I will when it's finished.

BDP
10-07-2005, 11:58 AM
When I worked downtown, it was handy but the BID seems pretty dead most the time and funneling people underground makes it feel more that way.

You have a point. A lot of the energy of downtown is sucked underground by the concourse and makes it looked deserted during cold weather. It would be nice to see it linked to the streets more, so there is more mixing of traffic. When I got to lunch with friends downtown sometimes we'll be walking through the concourse and I'll wonder why when it is so nice outside. But they're so used to it and that's where access to the food is, they don't even thinking of taking the streets and I actually wonder if they'd know how to get anywhere at street level. :)

So, I think more street access would improve it, so that you could still access the concourse businesses without really walking through the concourse if you don't want to.

metro
10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm sure these are are valid concerns that were addressed in the re-design

metro
11-02-2005, 01:48 PM
And here you go fellow citizens:

Council advances Conncourse renovation

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

Final plans are being drawn for a $1.9 million project to renovate downtown Oklahoma City's Conncourse tunnels.
The Oklahoma City Council voted Tuesday to move forward with the project. Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., oversees the business improvement district that pays to operate the tunnels.

The group wants to create a special assessment district to pay for the renovations. If 51 percent of the 76 property owners along the tunnel agree to a special assessment district, the property owners will all pay a share for the project.

Alison Oshel, vice president of operations for Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., said just less than 50 percent of property owners have agreed so far, and written approvals are expected from many more.

"We've got verbal approval from more than two-thirds," Oshel said. "We've been at this process for three years, so I think people are just glad there is some forward momentum going."

City officials hope to begin renovations in March.

The project will be more than just a fresh coat of paint, city officials said. New carpet, improved lighting, heating and air conditioning and the creation of historic photo galleries are all part of the plan.

The plan also includes new signs and a glass "grand entry" at the northwest plaza of Chase Tower at Broadway and Park Place.

Mayor Mick Cornett said he hopes the renovated Conncourse tunnels will be another downtown venue to attract visitors.

"What we have now is functional, but it's not something we necessarily are proud of or market," Cornett said. "I think what we're going to have is something that's going to be really cool. It's either an asset or it's not, and we're going to make it an asset."

Patrick
11-02-2005, 02:08 PM
For years now, businesses that are served by the conncourse have fussed over who should be responsible for paying for renovations and maintenance. That's part of the reason the conncourse has deteriorated over the past few years. There needs to be a clearer sense of ownership to the conncourse.

metro
11-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Patrick, seems to me there is a clear sense of ownership and who is responsible. Especially since the BID district has already been approved by the city council and the majority of the businesses have agreed to it. Now all they have to do is take the final vote and begin collecting. Seems like a non-issue other than finalizing and implementing

Patrick
11-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Good to hear! Thanks for the info.

metro
11-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Here's the latest, good news and bad news. The good news is the district was approved and will be moving forward, the bad news is we may not get the nice grand entry because of Cotter Tower. Sounds like we need to get their information and get an email campaign going!

[QUOTE]Most businesses sign up for The Underground

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

A petition to create a special assessment district to overhaul downtown Oklahoma City’s Conncourse tunnels has been signed by 81 percent of property owners - more than enough to let the work proceed.
But a rejection by owners of Chase Tower could force the abandonment of a new grand entryway, said Dave Lopez, president of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc.

Cotter Tower Oklahoma, which owns the building, was one of only three property owners to decline the assessment. Representatives could not be reached for comment Wednesday. Lopez said he is uncertain whether the owners will permit the entry on their plaza at Broadway and Park Avenue.

Designs by project architect Rand Elliott call for a glass-encased, lighted entry for tunnels that will be renamed The Underground.

“The expectation we had was that the improvement would certainly enhance the property, and it would give great visibility to The Underground,” Lopez said.

The $1.9 million renovation is expected to begin by spring and will include art galleries, new carpeting, lighting, air conditioning and fire-safety systems.

Others saying “no” to the special assessment were Cheek Properties, owner of the Law Center Building, 311 N Harvey, and TAParchitecture, 415 N Broadway.

In a letter to Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., John Cheek complained he wasn’t seeing any improvements by the building and that the city should “get the job done” without increasing the tax burden for a small segment of property owners.

Lopez said TAParchitecture opposed the assessment because they disagreed with maintaining the underground tunnels and want to promote activity at street level.

[/QUOTE

Pete
11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Lopez said TAParchitecture opposed the assessment because they disagreed with maintaining the underground tunnels and want to promote activity at street level.

I thought this was interesting, since McDermid & Co. are so actively involved in developing and promoting downtown.

But it's a similar point to the one I made earlier in this thread... The Underground greatly detracts from street level activity which is sorely missing in downtown OKC.

HOT ROD
11-10-2005, 06:11 PM
That is true, but i dont see why OKC cant have both. Especially if the Underground is less retail oriented for a while, get the street level retail going - then add in retail underground.

i totally hope they can renovate/improve the Underground in a way that does not deter streetside pedestrian activity. From what i read in their plans, it does appear they will hold off on retail development of the Underground - Im hoping so that streetside will develop.