View Full Version : Question for Korean Food Lovers

CrimsonOberon
11-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Hey, I was wondering if someone on here might be able to help me out. I am going to be eating at B-Won Korean Restaurant in the near future, but I know absolutely nothing about korean food.

If anyone here has been there before, what would you recommend for a first time diner? I have pretty broad tastes, though in this situation, I would prefer to stay away from anything too spicy.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Midtowner
11-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I had Korean food once with one of my wife's friends who is Korean.

It was all great, but I have no idea what I ate.

Maybe it's better that way?

She ordered in Korean, so I can't help ya.

Andy1807
11-30-2007, 10:11 PM
you can't go wrong with bulgogi. it's basically just marinated meat served with rice and is the staple of Korean restaurants.

Midtowner
11-30-2007, 10:13 PM
I really liked the fried minnows thing.

It was a side dish. They were crunchy and very different.

Karried
11-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Database of Korean food including pictures and descriptions:

Korean Food and Drink (http://www.lifeinkorea.com/Food/menu.cfm)

Karried
11-30-2007, 11:08 PM
These are some reviews of the restaurant and suggested menu items:

"I went there and had some great food. I ordered korean bar-bq chicken, which came sizzling on an iron skilled. It also came with rice and plenty of side dishes such as kimchi (spiced cabbage), dried anchovi/shrimp cooked in peppers and spices, tofu based dish and many other side dishes. All in all it was very good and I would go back again if I felt like I wanted some spicy korean food. Simple clean interior, reasonable prices (around $8 averag). Recommended."

"Everything is authentic to the rice and kimchi that you start your meal off with and if you like you can order kimbop which is a favorite to people of all backgrounds. If you stop by there i recommend you order the gal-bi, dak-bul-gogi, or the den-jang-ji-geh. I guarantee you will love it."

dalelakin
12-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Database of Korean food including pictures and descriptions:

Korean Food and Drink (http://www.lifeinkorea.com/Food/menu.cfm)

Great site with some good info but I wish they would include pronunciations...

Dave Cook
12-01-2007, 03:59 PM
The advantage for Korean food lovers in OKC is that there happens to be a real live, breathing Korean community in the city which equals some find Korean establishments.

As opposed to the Japanese themed variety.

dismayed
12-01-2007, 09:47 PM
you can't go wrong with bulgogi. it's basically just marinated meat served with rice and is the staple of Korean restaurants.

Hey I've had that before. I'll second that, it's a tasty dish.

Jeopardude
12-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Bimbimbop is a great hot pot dish. B-Won's is good.

FritterGirl
12-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Bimbimbop is a great hot pot dish. B-Won's is good.

Thanks for adding that one. I had forgotten the name. Yes, this is a great dish and is served in a hot "stone" pot. It's best to stir it all up quickly though, so the ingredients meld together. If I recall (it's been awhile since I've had Korean), this has cooked egg in it, which gives it a nice flavor.

Best of luck, Crimson! You're in for a real adventure.

Dave Cook
12-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Don't forget the little Korean market that shares the same strip mall as the restaurant in Moore on 12th street. Good stuff.

You can actually buy cuts of shabu-shabu/yakiniku meat, Mizukan ponzu sauce, enoki mushrooms, etc.....for homemade authentic Japanese food.

Stuff you can't get at the Sushi Neko....'best authentic Asian cuisine' in OKC. :rolleyes:

lpecan
12-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Are they any of those Korean BBQ places here in town, where they bring you the rawmeat and youcook it?

Turanacus
01-10-2008, 12:17 PM
the minnows are sun-dried, not fried

korean house in del city brings the meat out and you cook it right there on the table. pretty gross, real fatty.

jacodenn
01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I was stationed At Osan Air Base in Korea, and absolutely loved the Korean food...except for the cold raw fish soup.

I would start out with Bulgogi and Bokgeumbop (sp), and of course you MUST try some Kimchi. Also, real Korean white rice will be lumpy.
Like with any new food...don't be afraid to try something new.

If by chance you see a bottle of clear alcohol with a snake in it...DO NOT drink it!!! LOL!!!

And always say thank you...kam sah hahm nee dah.

mheaton76
01-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm a fan of the dak-bul-go-gi myself. Tasty...

CrimsonOberon
01-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the tips, everyone.:)

I finally had my little evening there and I enjoyed myself. The food was excellent. I suppose I'm just not much of a cabbage person, so I didn't take to the Kimchi ( or maybe I didn't eat it right), but I did try the Bulgogi and it was delicious. I may have to go back and try some of the other suggestions on this thread.

Thanks again for helping me out. Next time I'll have to go with something spicier on the menu. Any more suggestions on that end?

6string79
02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
B-won is not a good place to eat good Korean food according to all my Korean friends.

The best place would be Korea House/Korean House in Midwest/Del City area. I've been there a few times and it's always packed.