View Full Version : Big XII Championship Game

Intrepid
11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Who will win the Big XII Championship in San Antonio this weekend?

Midtowner
11-29-2007, 08:54 PM
You created the poll and didn't vote?

Intrepid
11-29-2007, 08:56 PM
You created the poll and didn't vote?

LOL....that would be me. The window I was in closed on me before I could vote. Not sure what happened.

Midtowner
11-29-2007, 09:04 PM
... a likely story.

kmf563
11-30-2007, 07:31 AM
'Twas the night before the Big XII and all through the land,
not a Tiger was stirring, not even the band.
Their Jockeys were hung by the locker with care,
in hopes that the Sooners soon would be there.
Truman was nestled all snug in his bed,
while visions of the BCS danced in his head.
And Pinkel in his kerchief full of Tiger pride,
and Bob and the Sooners ready to ride.
When down in San Antone there arose such a clatter,
Chase sprang from his bed to see what was the matter.
He realized the Option was gone in a flash,
and Maclin's dreams of running had just been dashed.
The Tiger tight ends trembled as they watched the show,
A Crimson and Cream luster set the horizon aglow.
When what to their wondering eyes should they find,
but a miniature Schooner, seven National Titles behind.
With a wizened old driver, skilled in leading his troops,
they knew in a moment it must be Bob Stoops.
More rapid than Temple his players they came,
and he whistled and shouted and called them by name.
"On Bradford, on Joe John, now Patrick and Murray!
On Chris Brown! On Iglesias! On Hartley and Kelly!
To the top of the conference! To the top of it all!
Now dash their hopes! Dash their dreams! Dash away all!"
And then in a twinkling, the Tigers fought back a scream,
and Chase saw the last of his Heisman trophy dream.
The defense drew in their breath and looked all around,
and realized that their "Pig" was nowhere to be found.
Bob's eyes how they twinkled, his coaches how merry!
As they carried on the legacy left them by Barry.
Gary's sad little face and a fear in his belly,
he shook on the field as his knees turned to jelly.
Pinkel spoke not a word, and the ball they couldn't carry,
Stoops filled up the scoreboard and then turned to Gary.
And laying his hand on the shoulder of his friend,
he gave Pinkel a nod and said, "Like Norman again."
Bob sprang to the Schooner, to his team gave a shout,
to the BCS they flew and left Mizzou down and out.
And we heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight,
"Boomer Sooner to All and to All a Good Night!"

solitude
11-30-2007, 08:06 PM
'Twas the night before the Big XII and all through the land,
not a Tiger was stirring, not even the band.
Their Jockeys were hung by the locker with care,
in hopes that the Sooners soon would be there.
Truman was nestled all snug in his bed,
while visions of the BCS danced in his head.
And Pinkel in his kerchief full of Tiger pride,
and Bob and the Sooners ready to ride.
When down in San Antone there arose such a clatter,
Chase sprang from his bed to see what was the matter.
He realized the Option was gone in a flash,
and Maclin's dreams of running had just been dashed.
The Tiger tight ends trembled as they watched the show,
A Crimson and Cream luster set the horizon aglow.
When what to their wondering eyes should they find,
but a miniature Schooner, seven National Titles behind.
With a wizened old driver, skilled in leading his troops,
they knew in a moment it must be Bob Stoops.
More rapid than Temple his players they came,
and he whistled and shouted and called them by name.
"On Bradford, on Joe John, now Patrick and Murray!
On Chris Brown! On Iglesias! On Hartley and Kelly!
To the top of the conference! To the top of it all!
Now dash their hopes! Dash their dreams! Dash away all!"
And then in a twinkling, the Tigers fought back a scream,
and Chase saw the last of his Heisman trophy dream.
The defense drew in their breath and looked all around,
and realized that their "Pig" was nowhere to be found.
Bob's eyes how they twinkled, his coaches how merry!
As they carried on the legacy left them by Barry.
Gary's sad little face and a fear in his belly,
he shook on the field as his knees turned to jelly.
Pinkel spoke not a word, and the ball they couldn't carry,
Stoops filled up the scoreboard and then turned to Gary.
And laying his hand on the shoulder of his friend,
he gave Pinkel a nod and said, "Like Norman again."
Bob sprang to the Schooner, to his team gave a shout,
to the BCS they flew and left Mizzou down and out.
And we heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight,
"Boomer Sooner to All and to All a Good Night!"

Did you write that? That was quite good! As much as I would like a Sooner victory, I think beating this Mizzou team twice in one season may be asking too much. The Tigers are on a roll and I don't see Oklahoma stopping Chase Daniel. It might very well be a QB show, but right now I would place my bet on Missouri.

Intrepid
11-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Did you write that? That was quite good! As much as I would like a Sooner victory, I think beating this Mizzou team twice in one season may be asking too much. The Tigers are on a roll and I don't see Oklahoma stopping Chase Daniel. It might very well be a QB show, but right now I would place my bet on Missouri.

Some said the very same thing when the Sooners faced a very good Kansas State team for the 2nd time in 2000.

With that said, this Sooner team isn't playing nearly as well as that 2000 team.

I think it will be a very close game, but one that the Sooners will squeak out with a victory. (fingers crossed)

Midtowner
11-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I got that same email. It is signed by a local attorney.

kevinpate
12-02-2007, 05:45 AM
I missed about 1/2 the game (a friend had car troubles) but I did enjoy most of the 1st and 4th quarters.

Easy180
12-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Definitely enjoyed watching little Chasey pouting on the sideline throwing his lame skull cap thing to the ground

Dude was a little too full of himself going in...Pretty sure he is a little more realistic after that beat down

Midtowner
12-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Yep. I liked that the Oklahoma kids didn't talk to the media much, didn't talk a lot of trash, just went out there and took care of business.

Mizzou is just nouveau riche. They've never "been there" before. At OU, making it the Conference Championship game and losing would have been a disappointment. At Mizzou, it's their best season in 40-someodd years.

soonerfan21
12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Article from College Football News:

Yes, the boys from Norman threw everything into chaos, but lost in that national storyline is this substantially important fact: Bob Stoops has won yet another league crown.

Oklahoma: Big 12 Champs
Hear Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops and QB Sam Bradford talk about winning the Big 12 Championship after the Sooners' victory against Missouri.

Yes, in case you missed it, Boomer Sooner has now claimed five Big 12 titles in the past eight seasons; four in the past six; and three in the past four. While Ohio State and USC have had similar runs of dominance in the Big Ten and Pac-10, Oklahoma has remained the big dog in America's heartland. When Vince Young and Texas won the 2005 national title, Oklahoma got relegated to the background. And when the Longhorns beat OU in the 2006 regular season, everyone assumed that the Sooners would be stuck in second for at least one more year, perhaps two.
But the Sooners never stopped fighting toward the end of last season, and they passed Texas at the wire to steal the Big 12 South. Shortly thereafter, the Crimson and Cream won the conference with a victory over Nebraska in Kansas City. This year, the Sooners ruled the roost through mid-November, but a crippling loss at Texas Tech once again relegated an Oklahoma team to the back pages of the college football world.

Missouri and Kansas stole OU's thunder, as the Tigers and Jayhawks played for national-title positioning while the Sooners quietly repeated as South Division champions. Improbably but unquestionably, Oklahoma entered Saturday's game against Missouri in San Antonio as a spoiler — a favorite, yes, but a spoiler nonetheless. The avalanche of attention given to the No. 1 Tigers put a proud program in the background as kickoff time arrived in the Alamodome.

The Sooners are in the background no more. They've once again turned back all aspirants to the Big 12 throne, and they're headed back to the Fiesta Bowl for a chance to expunge the bitter taste of Boise State. With the way this team is playing, it's likely to gain some Fiesta fulfillment in suburban Phoenix.

There wasn't a lot of guile or guesswork involved in Oklahoma's dismantling of Mizzou. The Sooners took several shots from Chase Daniel and Jeremy Maclin in a fierce, fast and furious first half of hellacious hitting and ruthless defense. After the halftime break, however, it was the experienced Big 12 ballclub who showed the title-game newcomer a thing or two about championship football.

Oklahoma, on offense and defense, used a relentlessly aggressive approach that, before too long, subdued the tense Tigers. Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson mixed vertical passes and power runs to grab the jugular, while defensive coordinator Brent Venables never stopped attacking Daniel with blitzes. In all facets of play, the Sooner braintrust unleashed an Oklahoma onslaught that was as tactically superior as it was psychologically effective.

The Sooners didn't just score, they struck with such forcefulness that the manner of their dominance sent a message. While Missouri played one very solid half of football, the Sooners played two, and the team with more energy in the tank proved its clear and unquestioned superiority. Midway through the fourth quarter, this ballyhooed battle had long since been decided.

Yes, Oklahoma threw a big wrench into the BCS system Saturday night. But if you live in Norman, you're not really concerned with such peripheral matters. What counts is that Oklahoma rules the Big 12 yet again, as Bob Stoops affirms his status as a bona-fide coaching legend.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!:congrats:

Easy180
12-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I consider it a perfect season when OU beats Texas, OSU and the Big XII title game...Can't ask for anything more imo

Non Natl Champ BCS bowls are just gravy as far as I'm concerned

Great news with the matchup with WVU instead of KU....Much better game to look forward to for OU fans...Should be fun watching OU's defense shut down the 'eers

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-03-2007, 07:17 AM
Mmmmmmmgravy.

kmf563
12-03-2007, 07:31 AM
I can't claim fame for that poem...just passing it along. It gave me chills.

Whoo hoo!! A big win of Mizzou gets us...drum roll please...oh, huh, we get to play west virginia?! whoo.

Well, Yeah!! for the Big XII championship!!!

Martin
12-03-2007, 08:17 AM
great game. ou's win was convincing... they really pulled it together in the second half. osu/lsu in the championship, ou/wvu in the fiesta aren't completely unreasonable picks, imo. however...

i'm thinking that missouri was robbed of a bcs bowl spot... they're going to the cotton bowl, while #13 illinois gets to go to the rose bowl? traditions aside, that's preposterous. at #6, mizzou is the only top ten team not to go to a bcs bowl.

-M

betts
12-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I agree. I hate the fact that the Rose Bowl has permission to take the 12th ranked team over the sixth ranked team. I hope it's a boring game and no one tunes in to it. I'm not excited about seeing USC whip up on Illinois, and it certainly won't help USC to beat them. Missouri was robbed, although I don't mind Chase Daniels (the big baby) having to play in the Cotton Bowl, rather than a BCS bowl. I was proud that a Big Twelve school like Missouri was doing so well, until he started whining and pouting on national television.