View Full Version : Oklahoma a 'most depressed state'

Tex
11-28-2007, 10:53 PM
newsok.com
By Jim Killackey
Staff Writer
Oklahoma, with more than 500 suicide deaths a year, is ranked in the bottom 10 "most depressed states" according to a study released today by Mental Health America in Washington, D.C.

In rankings that include the District of Columbia, Oklahoma is ranked 46th.

In fact, the bottom ten “most depressed” states are: 42) Wyoming, 43) Ohio, 44) Missouri, 45) Idaho, 46) Oklahoma, 47) Nevada, 48) Rhode Island, 49) Kentucky, 50) West Virginia, and 51) Utah.

The “least depressed” states are 1) South Dakota, 2) Hawaii, 3) New Jersey, 4) Iowa, 5) Maryland, 6) Minnesota, 7) Louisiana, 8) Illinois, 9) North Dakota, and 10) Texas.

The rankings are determined by factors such as adolescents and adults who annually have "serious psychological episodes" and "major depressive episodes."

“It is important to note that regardless of where each state ranks, there is much room for improvement,” said David Shern, president and CEO of Mental Health America. “This study shows that states can significantly improve their populations’ mental health status by adopting policies that expand access to treatments.”

MadMonk
11-29-2007, 10:20 AM
How depressing.

soonerguru
11-29-2007, 11:03 AM
I wonder how depressed we are in the urban areas versus the rural areas. My guts tell me a LOT of our depression is in some of the more Appalachian areas, where there are very real, tough social problems: illiteracy, unemployment, domestic violence, poverty, etc.

solitude
11-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I wonder how depressed we are in the urban areas versus the rural areas. My guts tell me a LOT of our depression is in some of the more Appalachian areas, where there are very real, tough social problems: illiteracy, unemployment, domestic violence, poverty, etc.

Oklahoma is in the Appalachian mountains?

FRISKY
11-29-2007, 11:49 AM
the bottom ten “most depressed” states are: 42) Wyoming, 43) Ohio, 44) Missouri, 45) Idaho, 46) Oklahoma, 47) Nevada, 48) Rhode Island, 49) Kentucky, 50) West Virginia, and 51) Utah.

The “least depressed” states are 1) South Dakota, 2) Hawaii, 3) New Jersey, 4) Iowa, 5) Maryland, 6) Minnesota, 7) Louisiana, 8) Illinois, 9) North Dakota, and 10) Texas.Shouldn't the "bottom ten most depressed" be the same list as "top ten least depressed"?

Doesn't Oklahoma have some of the premier mental health facilities in the country? If so, wouldn’t the patients brought to those hospitals from other states skew the findings of that report?

solitude
11-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Shouldn't the "bottom ten most depressed" be the same list as "top ten least depressed"?

Doesn't Oklahoma have some of the premier mental health facilities in the country? If so, wouldn’t the patients brought to those hospitals from other states skew the findings of that report?

You're kidding, right?

Midtowner
11-29-2007, 12:25 PM
I think the prevalence of country music alongside easy access to alcohol and firearms is a dangerous cocktail in any state.

We're doomed.

mecarr
11-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Doesn't Oklahoma have some of the premier mental health facilities in the country?

Since the 1980s mental health hospitals across the country have been shutting down. Instead, a cheaper out-patient approach has been adopted. I do believe that Laureate in Tulsa is suppose to be a very good mental health facility. If Oklahoma wants to combat this problem, it needs to make treatment more affordable and accessible, especially in rural areas.

FRISKY
11-29-2007, 12:50 PM
You're kidding, right?No I was not kidding. It was a legitimate question.

diesel
11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Its because Oklahoma has a high obesity rate and who wants to be obese?!?!

Misty
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Its because Oklahoma has a high obesity rate and who wants to be obese?!?!

I like my men to have a nice beer belly. Makes for a great pillow while watching movies on the couch. Beer=happy, right?

solitude
11-29-2007, 01:37 PM
No I was not kidding. It was a legitimate question.

If it was a serious question, the answer is an emphatic no. Some states have public treatment facilities that are far and above what Oklahoma offers at its best private facilities. Your question certainly seemed rhetorical which is why I answered the way I did. Oklahoma with "premier" mental health facilities? No way.

diesel
11-29-2007, 01:47 PM
I like my men to have a nice beer belly. Makes for a great pillow while watching movies on the couch. Beer=happy, right?

more women need to have that attitude... i am just glad i am not one of the guys who cant see their feet.. heheh

brianinok
11-29-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm calling BS on this report. First of all, it was done by a "for-profit" company. Secondly, any report that does not have Washington state in the top 10 is bogus, because Washington state is widely known to have the most suicides per capita of any state.

solitude
11-29-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm calling BS on this report. First of all, it was done by a "for-profit" company. Secondly, any report that does not have Washington state in the top 10 is bogus, because Washington state is widely known to have the most suicides per capita of any state.

Brian, Actually the study was prepared by Mental Health America (http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/).

From their website:

Mental Health America (formerly known as the National Mental Health Association) is the country's leading nonprofit dedicated to helping all people live mentally healthier lives. With our more than 320 affiliates nationwide, we represent a growing movement of Americans who promote mental wellness for the health and well-being of the nation.

soonerguru
11-29-2007, 10:04 PM
To the first question:

No, Oklahoma is not in the Appalachian Mountains, but parts of it are considered "Appalachia." Have you ever been to the Ouachita Mountains of southeastern Oklahoma? Beautiful, magnificent scenery, but a lot of scenarios common to the poor areas of West Virginia, Kentucky, etc.

Regarding Washington having the most suicides: isn't that somewhat urban myth, or am I wrong?

PapaJack
11-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Midtowner et al:

Results of my research

Hypothesis: The prevalence of country music alongside easy access to alcohol and firearms is a dangerous cocktail in any state. Oklahoma is doomed.

Methodology: The first Google listing that showed; number of country music stations by state, the gallons of beer drunk per capita by state, and the households containing guns by state, were combined in a data base. The highest ranking state in each category was given one point, the lowest ranking state given 50 points, etc. States were then ranked by total points, lowest total designating the state most likely to be “depressed,” the highest total being least likely to be depressed. Because a number of states reported no country radio stations, those states that voted “Red” in the 2004 general elections (aka Redneck states) were given one point, those voting “Blue” were awarded the highest average points, 41.3.

Sources: Alaska Jim's Music Charts (http://www.alaskajim.com)
Beer Info - Brews News Service and Beer Library (http://www.beerinfo.com)
washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines (http://www.washingtonpost.com)

Results: Most likely states to be depressed, in order;
Montana
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Louisiana
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Nevada
Alaska
Texas

Least likely states to be depressed, in order;
New Jersey
New York
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
Hawaii
Maryland
Washington
Oregon
Delaware

Conclusion: Oklahoma is not doomed. We placed 30th

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." Mark Twain

kmf563
11-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Am I the only person that smells lasagna?

BFizzy
11-30-2007, 08:00 AM
If Oklahoma is the 46th "most depressed" state, doesn't that mean that there are 45 states that are more depressed?

FRISKY
11-30-2007, 08:35 AM
If Oklahoma is the 46th "most depressed" state, doesn't that mean that there are 45 states that are more depressed?That was my question as well...

Shouldn't the "bottom ten most depressed" be the same list as "top ten least depressed"?

Tex
11-30-2007, 09:20 AM
I think the way these states are ranked is 1-50 based on how depressed they feel, 1 being the least depressed, 50 being the most depressed. So that means there are 4 more states that are more depressed than Oklahoma.

CMSturgeon
11-30-2007, 09:31 AM
How depressing.

haha! I laughed out loud.

Ok, it rains all the damn time in South Dakota... I was really depressed when I was there. But really, they have the Bad Lands and all these monuments and beautiful Black Hills to enjoy.... why would they be depressed?

CMSturgeon
11-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Ew, I threw up in my mouth a little. I'm not gay but I would rather use boobs for a pillow any day.

PapaJack
11-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Am I the only person that smells lasagna?

You smell lasagna. I smell chicken fried steak. Either way it's home cookin' baby!

CMSturgeon
11-30-2007, 09:34 AM
You smell lasagna. I smell chicken fried steak. Either way it's home cookin' baby!

And where is Florida on the list? When my dad lived there he had to drive over 100 miles just to get chicken fried steak from Grandys. Now THAT would make me depressed.

jbrown84
11-30-2007, 09:48 AM
But really, they have the Bad Lands

The Bad Lands are ugly, hence the name.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-30-2007, 09:56 AM

Are they really?

I've been to 48 states. North and South Dakota are my remaining two...I've just not found a good enough reason to go there yet. Mt. Rushmore alone isn't worth the trip to me.

CMSturgeon
11-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Are they really?

I've been to 48 states. North and South Dakota are my remaining two...I've just not found a good enough reason to go there yet. Mt. Rushmore alone isn't worth the trip to me.

I've been to the Bad Lands and they are not ugly. I didn't think so. They are beautiful at sunset, or even in mid day. And you can take donkey tours... who wouldn't want to do that?! You also have Crazy Horse to visit as well, I haven't been back since before they finished it. Oh and good ol' Sturgis every year.

jbrown84
11-30-2007, 11:46 AM
I didn't know they finished Crazy Horse.

jbrown84
11-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Are they really?

Judge for yourself.

http://archive.tri-cityherald.com/travel/stories/nation/badlands.jpeg

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Looks like a-lotta-nada.

CMSturgeon
11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
I didn't know they finished Crazy Horse.

I just assumed they finished it... not sure if they did. My grandparents were friends with the people heading the whole thing when I was last down there when I was like 11 and they already had the head and arm chiseled out of the mountain. It really looked like it was going to be beautiful.

Crazy Horse Memorial (http://www.crazyhorse.org/)

CMSturgeon
11-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Ok just reviewed that site I posted and yeah, it's not at all near being done. And I think that bad lands are beautiful in this pic...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1122/536904321_4a43fa674e.jpg?v=0

bretthexum
11-30-2007, 02:27 PM

Any uglier thank Oklahoma? Come on...

jbrown84
12-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Any uglier thank Oklahoma? Come on...

definitely yes.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v15/125/97/79800335/n79800335_30006344_8343.jpg

CMSturgeon
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/32/63128444_1db189c1dd.jpg?v=0

No... it's prettier. I've seen lots of people jump off of that.... who wouldn't want to dive into ice cold water from a 30 foot high rock?