View Full Version : First Baptist Church of Edmond

metro
11-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Has anyone else noticed these commercials on TV lately? I thought it was kind of ironic that they are promoting a "large display of Christmas trees" and then they show them cutting down a tree and the pastor driving a car with the cut tree on top. Aren't most Edmonites living there because of the trees and landscaping and always promoting not to cut down the trees there and getting mad at Edmond developers for not using more trees? Just thought it was kind of funny:

Home | Edmond's First Baptist Church (http://fbcedmond.org/)

CuatrodeMayo
11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Nice. Edmond cracks me up. The city seal is a tree!

Karried
11-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Hopefully, he cut it from a Christmas tree farm that specifically grows trees for this purpose.

Ha, it cracks me up... there are no real Christmas trees to cut down in OK.

We used to drive to Santa Cruz mountains 15 minutes away and cut down an enormous tree for under forty bucks - couldn't even lift it on top of the car or make it fit in the house. Now, I'm lucky to find a wimpy Charlie Brown tree at Home Depot for a hundred bucks.

So, yeah, I guess Edmond should protect the trees they do have and not advocate cutting them down. Maybe they'll grow.

oneforone
11-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Nice. Edmond cracks me up. The city seal is a tree!

The city of Edmond has only had that seal for a few years. They where sued a few years back because the old seal contained a cross. They probably picked a tree because it was the least offensive. (The tree will probably stay on the seal until plants get civil rights and humans can file a lawsuit on thier behalf.)

96-6399 -- Robinson v. City of Edmond -- 11/06/1998 (http://ca10.washburnlaw.edu/cases/1998/11/96-6399.htm)

CuatrodeMayo
11-27-2007, 12:19 AM
I grew up in Edmond. I have watched first-hand wanton destruction of trees as old as the city itself. It's a sad irony that the tree is the city seal.

Karried
11-27-2007, 06:39 AM
I went to their website. It looks like it's one tree. ( Like the Bricktown tree lighting).

I think it is another way to invite the community to a church function to introduce them to religion... Similar to other churches activities that want to get the general public involved in an effort to get them interested.

I doubt they got the 30 foot tree from the side of the road in Edmond.

'FIRST LIGHTS'

Sunday, December 2 at 6:00 PM

Something big is coming to Edmond’s First Baptist Church this Christmas season. You are invited to join us for FIRST LIGHTS on Sunday evening December 2, at 6:00 PM on the front lawn of the church grounds at the corner of 33rd and Bryant in Edmond.

This very special lighting ceremony, hosted by NEWS 9's Robin Marsh and Ed Murray, will be the official kick-off to a month of Christmas celebrations focused on giving back to the wonderful people of http://fbcedmond.org/Websites/fbcedmond/Images/05-HAPPENINGS/First%20Lights/FIRST%20LIGHTS%20-%20Simple%20Logo%2001.jpgEdmond.

The church lawn will be adorned with a spectacular 30 ft Christmas tree, 12 ft snowflakes as well as thousands of white lights illuminating the trees. To top it off there will be two 25 ft angels alongside the cross in the light tower to keep our eyes focused on Christ this Christmas season. Come and see what all the excitement is about!

Peter Wolf Productions from Dallas, Texas, is designing our light display and structures for the front lawn and the light tower (with the large cross). '

I think it looks pretty cool....

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-27-2007, 07:40 AM
The Baptist church up the road from me has had monster truck rallies to get people in the door.

There's just something fundamentally wrong with Gravedigger crushing cars for Jesus.

jbrown84
11-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Sounds like a big waste of money to me...

Karried
11-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Sometimes the message of Christianity gets so buried that no one can even find it.

And often times, because of this, people no longer want to find it.

It's hard enough in the secular world to find support.. it seems that churches and Christians would stand together and embrace methods to draw people to Christ.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that was the idea.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-27-2007, 10:25 AM
You know...To me...Getting people to show up by using gimmicks is nothing more than a form of spiritual bait and switch.

Your message should be what draws people in. Not flashy lights, big trees, volleyball parties, or monster trucks.

NE Oasis
11-30-2007, 06:57 AM
Sounds like a big waste of money to me...

This is MY church you are talking about. We pay our bills, support domestic and foreign mission work, and strive to be as Biblically centered as possible.
What's wrong with giving a gift to our community?

NE Oasis
11-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Sometimes the message of Christianity gets so buried that no one can even find it.

And often times, because of this, people no longer want to find it.

It's hard enough in the secular world to find support.. it seems that churches and Christians would stand together and embrace methods to draw people to Christ.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that was the idea.

I prefer to use your post to respond to you as well as the "Oh Gawd" that follws it. Karried, you hit the nail right on the head. Edmond's First Baptist Church is reaching out to the communnity with this gift. There will be music and snacks too. There is no "bait and switch" motive. If people that don't know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior choose to enter into a conversation about a relationship with him during this event that will be great. If not, the church hopes they enjoy the decorations, music, and coming together to celebrate the joy of the Christmas season, concentrating on what brings us together instead of things that may be keeping us apart.

jbrown84
11-30-2007, 08:39 AM
This is MY church you are talking about. We pay our bills, support domestic and foreign mission work, and strive to be as Biblically centered as possible.
What's wrong with giving a gift to our community?

It just sounds like a really expensive display that really doesn't do much other than look festive. Why not present a spectacular Christmas musical with the gospel message, or have a holiday meal for the homeless, as my church does?

NE Oasis
11-30-2007, 09:58 AM
It just sounds like a really expensive display that really doesn't do much other than look festive. Why not present a spectacular Christmas musical with the gospel message, or have a holiday meal for the homeless, as my church does?

Coming Dec 16th. Home | Edmond's First Baptist Church (http://www.fbcedmond.org)

OkieKAS
12-05-2007, 07:20 AM
The Baptist church up the road from me has had monster truck rallies to get people in the door.

There's just something fundamentally wrong with Gravedigger crushing cars for Jesus.

LOL ..........Gravedigger4Jesus

hahahahahahahahaa

Our churches have these MudFests where everyone is invited to jump in the mud and frolic. The people that I see jumping in the mud at MudStock for sinfilled recreational purposes are not entirely too presentable when it is the girls in the mud.

bwana_bob
12-05-2007, 10:55 AM
It is ironic that First Baptist IS doing some of the very things that people suggest as an alternative to their tree lighting. What that tells me is that First Baptist - and I'm not a member - is seeking to build a community of worshipers. In that community are the inquirers and the closed-minded, the leaders and the followers, the humble and the proud, the educated and the ignorant... like it or not, if you are Christian, it takes all of these parts to make up the Body of Christ. We come to God within our own personalities and while some of us are studying Greek in hopes of gleaming a bit of insight from ancient texts, others are just wanting a place to bring their family that is safe and warm - an alternative to the Christmas tree at the Mall that is within eyesight of a 20 foot wide shot of a Victoria's Secret model in and out of her bra. When we seek to build community as a church, we do not check green cards and we do not establish a bench mark for "religious" content in all of our events. We serve people where they are on their walk and give them tools and opportunities to grow. We celebrate our common bond through a God who IS Love - and we do it many different ways. Some like fog machines and music, others like ritual and piety, some simply like an alternative to the harshness of our culture. To serve Christ, you must choose Christ each and every day - each within his abilities, each within his personality.