View Full Version : Sooners Upset in Lubbock

solitude
11-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Texas Tech 34 Oklahoma 27

Bob Stoops and Kevin Wilson (Offensive Coordinator) have to take much of the blame. Many people saw this coming if Bradford ever got hurt, which happened in the first quarter in Lubbock. Leaving Bradford in games decided long before made since early in the season as he needed experience. But, as time went on, it became the Sam Bradford Show and mop-up duty meant Halzle taking the last few snaps. He had little to no game experience. So, Sam goes down, and an untested, green Joey Halzle is expected to perform on the road in Lubbock. Bob, the criticism for leaving your starting quarterback in too long goes all the way back to Josh Huepel, continued with Hybl, White - even Thompson - and then it blew up in your face on November 17, 2007 in Lubbock when Sam Bradford went down and a completely untested Hazle had to enter the game. Unfair to him, unfair to the receivers and backs, unfair to the entire team, and unfair to the fans. Millions of dollars for stupidity. We'll support you and love 'ya when you're right, but we'll loudly complain when you're wrong. With your salary you should expect nothing less. Many people have seen this coming for years. The criticism proved itself justified tonight in Lubbock, and it cost us a shot at the National Championship game in New Orleans.

betts
11-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Such a shame. That would not have happened with Bradford in the game. Of course, the same thing happened to Oregon last night.

solitude
11-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Such a shame. That would not have happened with Bradford in the game. Of course, the same thing happened to Oregon last night.

I edited and added to my post. Go back and read it. A lot of people are going to agree with me.

oneforone
11-17-2007, 11:12 PM
In general I think Sooner fans need to stop living on Cloud 9. OU is not going to make it to the national championship every single year. There are some years OU is going to have sit out and let someone else have the glory.

You are not going to have the same level talent every single year. Not to mention most of these college athletes have their eyes on making it to the NFL and they could careless it the team wins or not. Very few understand that to make it to the NFL you have to win the game your playing today.

I think Stoops has done fairly reasonable job. He has managed to keep the team in the top 25 and every year has taken the team to a respected bowl game.

All I can say is OU fans better becareful because they might get what they wish for in the end. Stoops may finally hit his witts end this time and say "Screw it, I am taking the first reasonable offer out this place. I am not coaching for this spoiled immature fan base any longer."

This coming from a Cowboy fan.... If he had Mike Gundy's record, I would say the Sooner Nation had a valid argument. Since that is not the case, I think Sooner fans should count their blessings and look forward to going to a bowl game in a warm sunny place. No matter what happens at OSU-OU and BIG 12, I am willing to bet that they will go bowling in Florida, California, or Arizona.

solitude
11-17-2007, 11:27 PM
You miss the point. Stoops, in general, is an EXCELLENT football coach. I am talking about a very specific criticism that has boiled for several years. Tonight, it bit him the butt. This isn't being spoiled, this is a football fan following the team that represents a public university which pays the coach over three million dollars. We have the right to say, "Why haven't you listened to this criticism and acted before it actually happened?" Tonight was the scenario feared by many to a "T". (No pun intended as in "Texas Tech.")

As for not making it to the National Championship game every year, of course not. But, when you're on track to win the whole thing and this happens, well.....

dcsooner
11-18-2007, 06:00 AM
This OU team is not National Championship caliber. They would have been killed ala USC by LSU or OSU or a couple other teams. This is not OU's NC year, it may not even be it's B12 championship year, OSU may beat them (I am an OU grad). and even if OSU doesn't whose to say KANSAS or MU wouldn't beat this team

Midtowner
11-18-2007, 07:03 AM
You miss the point. Stoops, in general, is an EXCELLENT football coach. I am talking about a very specific criticism that has boiled for several years. Tonight, it bit him the butt. This isn't being spoiled, this is a football fan following the team that represents a public university which pays the coach over three million dollars. We have the right to say, "Why haven't you listened to this criticism and acted before it actually happened?" Tonight was the scenario feared by many to a "T". (No pun intended as in "Texas Tech.")

As for not making it to the National Championship game every year, of course not. But, when you're on track to win the whole thing and this happens, well.....

The University doesn't pay Stoops. The athletic department does.

The athletic department is profitable, btw.

That profit is in large part because of Stoops.

SoonerBent
11-18-2007, 09:03 AM
1. OU hasn't had that many conference games that the outcome has been decided early and
2. Like it or not the voting polls still consider margin of victory. Look at how far Kansas jumped up the polls in one week the week they kicked Nebraska all over the field.
3. Last night OU scored 27 points with Halzle. The offense was not great but was not the biggest problem. That honor goes to a secondary that got picked apart and a defensive line that seldom put pressure on the quarterback, as has been the case in quite a few games this year.

Nixon7
11-18-2007, 09:49 AM
The sun came up this morning, and Big Game Bob is still a memory of the past...

Easy180
11-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Doubtful that some simple mop up duty would have prepared Halzle for last night and like soonerbent said there really hasn't been any chances for it this year anyway

Big game Bob has the Sooners in position for yet another Big XII championship...10 other Big XII teams who would give their left ... to be in that position with one game to go

Lost a conference game on the road with a backup QB against a high powered offense

Not exactly shocking

solitude
11-18-2007, 12:07 PM
The University doesn't pay Stoops. The athletic department does.

The athletic department is profitable, btw.

That profit is in large part because of Stoops.

No university=No athletic department

kevinpate
11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Sam down make a difference ...yeah, likely so.

Does Sam down explain the TT offensive free for all over OU secondary ... nah.

Does Sam down explain how TT QB frequently had near on enough time to pop out to Quizno's for a sub before completing (yet another) play ... nah

Sure, Sam was missed. Sure, the backup coulda been more seasoned, but a whole lot of other things took place when the OU offense was on the sidelines.

Lubbock is like that, dagnabit

bandnerd
11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
I've been thinking about that all day. It wasn't Halzle's fault OU's defense absolutely SUCKED last night. It wasn't the Bradford loss that killed us...it was the defense and crappy secondary. But poor Halzle's probably going to take the brunt of this. He wasn't ready to play, that's obvious, but he did all right.

I just wish it hadn't happened. Very disappointing, but it's just not our year to go to the championship.

I say our like I actually went to OU lol. Sorry. I'd love to support UCO football but I just can't find it in my heart to do so right now!

solitude
11-18-2007, 10:34 PM
We can't forget this is a sport we go heywire over that is a bunch of 18-21 year old kids. Our priorities are whacked.

Midtowner
11-18-2007, 11:28 PM
UCO football will be easier to support with a new coach.

Hopefully they hire someone who isn't a complete moron.