View Full Version : Shop in Plaza Court\Midtown closes down

mecarr
11-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I was walking around Plaza Court today after eating at Irma's and noticed that a gift shop that use to be there as of two weeks ago has gone out of business. I believe the shop was called "King's Emporium" or something like that. I never thought the shop added much to the area, hopefully they put something nice in its place.
I've heard that all the spots in the Plaza Court are leased out. IF that is the case, why do they still have leasing signs on the windows?

Pete
11-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Wasn't that one of the leases that Banta inherited when he bought Plaza Court?

And I'm sure the reason there are for lease signs is to generate calls that they can then refer to the many other properties they own in the area.

metro
11-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Malibu, I don't think he inherited that lease. I'm pretty sure it was a new store. Also, with him being the new property owner, he wouldn't have had to honor the lease, just give them 30 days or whatever notice. I'm personally glad to see that place gone, it was an eyesore and the wrong concept for the area. It was basically a thrift shop selling trinkets that I don't know who would buy in the first place. I'm also not crazy about Banta putting a bridal shop in the restaurant row since there are only 3 buildings on Walker behind Plaza Court for restaurants. He seems to be dragging his feet getting tenants for his properties. There is no reason he shouldn't have an Urban Outfitters, Gap and other retailers in some of his properties, especially the ones at 10th and Broadway. Those stores LOVE those types of properties.

mecarr
11-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Agreed. A bridal shop will just be a drag for the area, as it will only apply to about .5% of the people who drive by it. For the others, it will just sit there.

betts
11-19-2007, 09:18 AM
My daughter, who is a manager for Anthropologie, drove through Midtown with me and expressed the thought that some of those locations might work. The problem is the target audience for Urban is pretty young, and you've not got high density teenagers and young adults in the Midtown area. It would actually work better for Anthropologie, which targets people in their thirties and early forties, but I don't think there are any buildings chi chi enough for Anthro. They like lifestyle centers and outdoor malls, so perhaps the one behind Quail Springs might work if it were a nice enough development. Urban might work there too, as you've got all the Edmond population. She said 50 Penn might work as well, although there might not be enough traffic at that location.