View Full Version : Our Body Exhibit at Omniplex

soonerfan21
11-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Anyone else go to the preview last night at the Omniplex (sorry but it's hard to break habits) of the new exhibit? Real human specimens on display and was very interesting for a non-science person like me.

RascalKing
11-16-2007, 10:14 AM
I read it $24 for an adult to go in. Was it worth the price of regular admission?

soonerfan21
11-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I would say so, as we spent about 2 hours going through the different rooms looking at the exhibits. It probably depends on your level of scientific curiosity and how long you want to look at the exhibits. It's my understanding there are different exhibits that tour the world, so what one might see in Europe might not be in this particular display.

FritterGirl
11-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I was also at the preview last night and found it pretty interesting. I don't know we spent quite 2 hours in the exhibit, though; more like 1 hour, I would say.

Certain parts of it were absolutely fascinating. Overall, however, for someone who has studied and had a life-long fascination with biology, anatomy and anthropology (have even studied anatomy), I found it a bit lacking in areas, particularly explanatory signage, which I felt was either "dumbed down" or just not filled with enough expository facts. I somehow wanted to go to a "deeper" level of understanding than what they were providing.

I found myself in parts following a doctor around and evesdropping on his explanations to his wife.

That being said, I think it is certainly worth taking in. It gives you a whole new appreciation for the human body, and especially at how complex it is. One really has to marvel at how our nervous and vascular systems work the way they do.

I probably would not recommend it for children under 12 or 13. I think it could get a bit intense for younger children who may not be able to separate the science from the actual humans they are looking at.

On a side note, this show is not the one that was touted by all of the national news magazines and shows about a year ago, where they showed the bodies "in motion," (playing basketball, riding a bike, riding a cadaver horse, etc.) This exhibit I believe is considerably smaller, although as I said earlier, still interesting.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Is this a permanent thing, or just a traveling show?

yukong
11-16-2007, 11:48 PM
It is a traveling show that will be here until sometime in May.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Cool...Thanks.

jbrown84
11-19-2007, 12:03 PM
BODIES: The Exhibition (http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/intro.html), currently showing in San Francisco, Bacelona, New York and other places is probably what you're thinking of.

This exhibit, Our Body: The Universe Within (http://www.ourbodytheuniversewithin.com/current_exhibits.html), seems almost identical and is currently visiting Detroit and Rochester, with Orlando a previous stop and San Antonio and Wichita coming soon.

FritterGirl
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
There is also bodyworlds http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html, (http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html) which I believe is the biggest of them all. My father-in-law attended this show in Denver about a year ago.

OKCDrummer77
11-19-2007, 05:42 PM
I saw Body Worlds last May in Dallas. I agree with ParksGal -- young children should probably not see this exhibit. In addition to being potentially shocking, they also don't censor anything. If the body on display was male, all of the "equipment" is still in place.

BailJumper
11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I wanted to go, but found the price too much. It would have cost us $100 for the 4 of us to go. That is nuts.

teacher girl
11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
i'd pay for it (and will eventuall) when I lived in DFW there was a huge bodyworlds exhibit and it was AWESOME! just got to figure out what to do with my children now....................

soonerfan21
11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
At the preview I saw quite a few parents with young children, and yes, the bodies are anatomically correct! Although I didn't really pay attention to those parents to see how they handled the situation, I would hope they would treat it as a wonderful science lesson.

The only section that might be difficult for young children was the pre-natal area. But it was very well marked with signage as to this fact (both young children and those with weak stomachs). It was a little tough to see the babies, but again it is a part of the life cycle.

FritterGirl
11-20-2007, 03:16 PM
The only section that might be difficult for young children was the pre-natal area. But it was very well marked with signage as to this fact (both young children and those with weak stomachs). It was a little tough to see the babies, but again it is a part of the life cycle.

It was also nice that this area was separated from the main portion of the exhibition so people had the choice of whether they wanted to view this section or not. I probably saw just as many people reading the sign and opting NOT to go in as I did people continuing through this delicate section. In fact, I certainly had to "steel myself" before turning the corner.

What was nice throughout at least on this evening, people kept a very reverent and hushed tone about them, and didn't act in anyway that could be construed as disrespectful.

jbrown84
11-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Well god forbid we see them as babies and not clumps of cells to be vacuumed out and thrown in the trash out of convenience.