View Full Version : Yellow bus rider...

Ms.Relaxationstation
11-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Ok guys, I'm on the yellow bus when it comes to this kind of stuff, but I need some help/advice. I bought my kids a computer for the playroom and of course I have internet hooked up to mine but I want them to be able to have internet too. I think I need a wireless router and stuff....what kind of stuff? What kind of router? I dunno! Can anyone give me some input on what I need, where to get it, how much I should spend, and how I hook it up. Like I said, it's a kids computer.... don't really need anything fancy or expensive.

Karried
11-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Linksys Router works wonderfully for us. Wireless router - Best Buy, Circuit City.. anywhere that carries electronics.

Pretty inexpensive and we have three computers and Xbox Live hooked up and it carries the load well.

solitude
11-14-2007, 10:19 PM
You need a basic wireless router (Karrie's Linksys idea is perfect) and the kid's computer will need a wireless card. You then will hook your net connection from the wall to the router and from the router it sends a wireless signal out to your kid's computer - and your own computer (or you can keep yours wired if it's close to the router). Total cost: under $100.

On edit: Best deal on this setup would be through newegg.com (Best and biggest site on net for computer stuff)
Router: $49.99
Adapter: $47.99
Total: 97.98 with free 3-day shipping
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010)
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WMP54G IEEE 802.11b/g, PCI 2.2 and 2.3 32bit PCI2.2 Wireless-G Adapter - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124115)

Ms.Relaxationstation
11-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Thank you so much for that info. Just what I needed. I'll get it ordered today!

OKCCrime
11-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I hope that you'll consider a piece of unsolicited advice.

Put your kid's computer in the family room, where you can monitor their usage.

You might think guns are dangerous, but the Internet is much more so.

Just look at a few of these stories (http://www.google.com/search?q=luring+children+over+internet) to be convinced.

Okccrime

Ms.Relaxationstation
11-15-2007, 03:00 PM
I hope that you'll consider a piece of unsolicited advice.

Put your kid's computer in the family room, where you can monitor their usage.

You might think guns are dangerous, but the Internet is much more so.

Just look at a few of these stories (http://www.google.com/search?q=luring+children+over+internet) to be convinced.

Okccrime

Well if I wanted parental advice I would have asked for it. (probably not fron you.) I do monitor my children's internet usage. Since you seem to think it is "likely my children are not trained" when it comes to dealing with pets you assume I don't monitor internet usage also?

Midtowner
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
What is the difference between the short bus and the yellow bus?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-15-2007, 04:04 PM
What is the difference between the short bus and the yellow bus?

Class size.

Ms.Relaxationstation
11-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey, I guess it's really the SCHOOL that bus goes to, right? lol

:yeahthat:

PennyQuilts
11-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Not sure if the "short" bus would be for the handicapped kids. That seems sort of rude, doesn't it?

At the risk of stirring the pot - which I don't want to do - I'd also second the caution about putting internet access where children can get it outside of a common area without close adult supervision. At the least, I would make sure they get permission to go on and off; keep it short; and I would carefully monitor where they've been. It is a lot of work and it would probably be easier and safer to keep the computer in a common area. We've all read horror stories and in my line of work, I've heard horror stories that actually have happened to the kids - from the kids, themselves. So forgive me if I come across as over reaching. Of course, every parent has to use their best judment in making these kind of decisions in the best interests of their kids so please just take this as a friendly caution - one parent to another.

MadMonk
11-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I have personal experience with and I'd recommend Cyberpatrol for kid's PCs (even if they are in a common area). Made by an excellent maker of corporate Internet filtering software (Surf Control), it's a solid filter and very easy to configure. It's very reasonable at $40/year.
CyberPatrol Internet Security Software - Protecting an Online Generation (http://www.cyberpatrol.com)

OKCCrime
11-16-2007, 08:32 AM
you assume I don't monitor internet usage also?

Step back, take a deep breath and let go of your defensiveness.

In my previous posts, I did not attempt to affront your parenting or pet training skills. In fact, I was trying to be helpful to you. I apologize for not being sufficiently tactful or eloquent to convey my point and provide help without it simultaneously being perceived as an attack.

However, I did not assume that you do not monitor your children's internet usage. I am just suggesting that you move the computer into the living room where it will be easier to monitor. From first hand experience, I know the seriousness of the consequences if proper monitoring is not in place.

I also hope that you can see that with respect to my posts on pets and children, I wasn't spouting nonsense given that others have chimed in with similar opinions.

Sincerely,
OKCCrime

Dark Jedi
12-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Some people have very fragile egos. thus, pretty much anything said to them is perceived as an attack, regardless of delivery or intent. Or, in this case, the validity of the advice.