View Full Version : Events on Statehood Day this Friday

metro
11-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Anyone know of any other events going on. I looked on the Centennial Commission's website, but they don't even mention the big Centennial event in Guthrie this Friday. I'm not surprised with the poor job they did for the Centennial. Anyhow, I found this off Guthrie's website:

Statehood Day in Oklahoma,

November 16, 2007!

The Guthrie Centennial Committee, in coordination with the Oklahoma State Centennial Commission, is proud to present a major state celebration in Guthrie, Oklahoma on November 16, 2007.

This State Holiday celebrates the 100 Year Proclamation of Oklahoma Statehood by President Theodore Roosevelt on November 16, 1907. Guthrie, as Oklahoma’s First State Capital, will host historical re-enactments of the statehood proclamation, the swearing-in of Oklahoma’s First Governor, Charles Haskell, and the symbolic wedding of Oklahoma Territory with Indian Territory. These re-enactments will be held at the historic Carnegie Library in Guthrie, where they actually occurred in 1907.

At 12 Noon, a historic parade will be held, just as occurred in 1907, and will retrace the route from the Scottish Rite Temple to Mineral Wells Park. This historic parade will include major university marching bands such as the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University, Langston University, the University of Central Oklahoma, and the Oklahoma Centennial All Star Band. In addition, marching bands from Logan County high schools will also perform.

At Mineral Wells Park, a barbeque will be held with the identical menu which occurred a century ago…barbeque, bread, a pickle, coffee and lemonade. Other events and entertainment venues will also be held throughout the downtown area during the day.

State and national dignitaries will be in Guthrie, to participate in the re-enactments, and in the parade. The President of the United States has been invited to be in Guthrie also on this day.

The City of Guthrie has been advised that between 75,000 and 100, 000 visitors may attend events on this historic day. As a small city, the challenge of these crowds will be enormous. City planning is ongoing throughout 2007 to anticipate and deal with crowds. Many volunteers from the Guthrie and Logan County communities, and from the region, will assist in making a historic day for visitors.

For Tourists and Visitors

On Statehood Day, November 16, 2007, the City of Guthrie will be closed to traffic in the downtown, and along the parade route from the Scottish Rite Temple, through the downtown, and to Mineral Wells Park from late November 15th through the day on November 16th. Parking areas and bus/shuttle transportation from outlying areas, within one mile of the downtown, will be available. We urge visitors to consider the following when coming to Guthrie on November 16th:

Wear comfortable footwear for walking, and clothing for comfort. Visitors may be required to walk up to one mile if they desire to move from venue to venue.
Carry water or other non-alcoholic drinks. Alcoholic beverages will not be allowed in the downtown or Mineral Wells Park area.
National Guard, State Police, and local law enforcement will be very visible to assist in crowd control, parking and information.
In case of inclement weather, keep advised through local media outlets as to events ongoing.
Guthrie churches, businesses, and organizations have been encouraged to open their doors to visitors for rest and relaxation, dining, and shopping.

Lodging, dining, other details:

Residents are being encouraged to wear early 1900 “Period Dress” for the Statehood Day events. Victorian, Edwardian, and Western dress is encouraged but not required. Visitors to Guthrie are also welcome to wear period attire.
Lodging and dining referrals may be found through the Chamber of Commerce at 405-282-1947.
Historic Pollard Inn at 405-282-1000
The Guthrie Bed & Breakfast Association through Guthrie, OK - The Bed and Breakfast Capital of Oklahoma (http://www.guthriebb.com)
Sleep Inn at 405-260-1400
With the large anticipated crowds, visitors may desire to bring personal or picnic lunches.

The official Guthrie Oklahoma Centennial Website (http://guthriecentennial.com/)

dalelakin
11-14-2007, 05:46 PM
This is in my opinion is THE Centennial event and I am just sick to my stomach I won't be able to attend. Moving here in 2006 I was sure I would attend some great events to commemorate the Centennial. Guess I was wrong.:banghead:

FritterGirl
11-15-2007, 12:08 PM
The Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory at the Myriad Botanical Gardens is offering FREE admission all day tomorrow in celebration of our Centennial Statehood Day!

Hours are 9 to 6.

It's not exactly a historical affair, but if you want to take a little min-vacation to the tropics - for FREE - tomorrow is your day!

Misty
11-15-2007, 12:14 PM
It's not exactly a historical affair, but if you want to take a little min-vacation to the tropics - for FREE - tomorrow is your day!

Speaking of mini-vacation to the tropics...I will be spending Statehood Day driving to the exciting city of Lubbock for the OU/Texas Tech game. Last time we went our hotel's website described it's lush interior garden and said "you won't even believe you're not in the Bahamas" Yeah. I hardly knew the difference.

Intrepid
11-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm really surprised that schools aren't out for this day.

teacher girl
11-15-2007, 02:34 PM
edmond schools are out........I think they may be the only ones!! YAYA

Intrepid
11-15-2007, 03:36 PM
edmond schools are out........I think they may be the only ones!! YAYA

I think some state employees are off too.

dalelakin
11-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Guthrie Schools are out and I believe all state employees are off as well.

I realize the 16th is the day it all happened but why couldn't this be a weekend long event?

CuatrodeMayo
11-15-2007, 05:32 PM
OSU is out tomorrow.

Intrepid
11-15-2007, 05:38 PM
OSU is out tomorrow.

As is OCCC.

ouguy23
11-15-2007, 06:18 PM
as is OU!

Ginkasa
11-16-2007, 01:46 AM
But not OCU.

metro
11-16-2007, 08:53 AM
I hope DougDawg is going to Guthrie with his camera today, unfortunately I will be unable to make it as planned. :(

solitude
11-16-2007, 12:39 PM
The state centennial website doesn't even have anything special for today (statehood day). Not listing the Guthrie event? That's horrible. Somebody dropped the ball, in many ways, with a once-in-a-lifetime event.

metro
11-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah we can thank Blake Wade for the poor mismanagement of the Centennial and the potential it had. That's okay with the advances in nano and bio technology, I plan on being around for the next one!! haha