View Full Version : Gas Prices

glennp
11-14-2007, 05:05 AM
I find it very funny that we continue to complain about gas pricing but do nothing. It seems to prove that they have us by the balls because we refuse to make any significant changes to make the oil producers hurt. And many of us don't have an alternate choice of traveling from home to work.

So as the majority of Oklahoma citizens continue to suffer, we pump more money into the hands of those in oil, in this state (plus all over the world).

We have talked about how the city is planning on developing a trolley system district and eventually a metro rails. However, why are we pumping monies into a trolley system that is going to be nothing more than a tourist attraction that will help only those that wish to see the Mid-town, CBD, Arts District, Bricktown, and OU Medical.

Why would we invest our tax money into something that would not benefit the majority of citizens. I feel that a Trolley System would be best suited if you were able to go from N. Western to Downtown, Baptist/Penn Sq to Downtown, OU Medical/OCU to Paseo/Mesta/Heritage. Yes, these are large areas to cover but overall it would hit a maximum number of pedestrians.

Isn't that the purpose of any type of rails system. I agree adding the old style to the Trolley District would be cool, but I would rarely use it and think very few citizens would.

After saying all that, would you use a system that could take you from home to work or home to school or home to entertainment, to help save your pocket from $3 and $4 a gallon in gasoline?

Please tell me your thoughts....

metro
11-14-2007, 07:43 AM
glennp, the trolley track district is an old district primarily in the west part of the metro that was named so because of the old trolley track lines that used to run throughout downtown and west okc. It is a historic district and noted with signs throughout the district.

The "trolley" system you are referring to is just talk, nothing more at this point. There is no money being poured into it nor being planned for it currently. It is a good reality it would become a MAPS3 project which is taxpayer funded, meaning the majority of taxpayers would have to agree with it. Another good reason for having it downtown/Midtown/OUHSC is because 60,000+ people work in this small area. A trolley or electric car type system is very easy to maintain and costs are relatively pretty cheap. Due to the nature of this type of transit, it is not designed to go long distances as it is slower and makes more frequent stops, thus why it would be in the most urban parts of OKC. Anything else going out further say to Penn Square, NW Expressway, Norman, Edmond and so on, would make more sense being light rail at higher speeds with less frequent stops. And Yes, I would gladly use an inner city trolley or electric car system if it was implemented properly.

TStheThird
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Not much you can do about gas prices when the world produces 85 million barrels of oil a day and consumes 88 million. Take the US for example... we produce 8.69 million barrels a day and consume 20.5 million barrels a day. That data is from 2004. See link Oil Production and Consumption. (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922041.html) Demand needs to cool and prices will drop.

Luke
11-14-2007, 12:33 PM
I've heard opening up ANWR would help alleviate some of these problems.

Of course, if someone would invent a vehicle that uses some other form of energy for at a reasonable price, then oil may come down.

solitude
11-14-2007, 02:59 PM
I've heard opening up ANWR would help alleviate some of these problems.

Of course, if someone would invent a vehicle that uses some other form of energy for at a reasonable price, then oil may come down.

Yes it would, for a very short time. We lose ANWR we lose it forever. We are stewards of this planet, we just don't always act like it.