View Full Version : Century Center: Renovation

betts
11-14-2007, 12:39 AM
From the DOK:

Wed November 14, 2007

Century Center's owners plan renovation
By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer
The 30-year-old Century Center Plaza is, by the admission of its owners, a relic that is in dire need of change. "The space has just languished for decades,” said Matt Cowden, who manages the plaza along with the adjoining Sheraton hotel. "But the new owners are very serious about changing that and are prepared to put a lot of capital into it.” With crews already gutting office and retail space dating to the early 1980s, the owners, American Property Management, are hoping to convert the second floor of the plaza into ballroom and meeting space and the first floor into retail. Construction is expected to start within the next few weeks. Within the next year, Cowden said, the plaza at 189 W Sheridan Ave. will feature 16,000 square feet of new convention space on the second floor. "Add that to our existing 25,000 square feet and we will have over 41,000 square feet of total meeting space under one roof,” Cowden said. "That will make us the largest convention hotel in Oklahoma City.”

The plaza, the only real retail built during the urban renewal era of the 1960s and 1970s, opened with a mix of restaurants, gift shops, clothing stores, a fitness center and even an FAO Schwartz toy store. The second floor was filled with offices during the oil boom of the early 1980s. But by the mid-1980s, the plaza was an empty shell in a downtown decimated by job losses. Three years ago, Wiggin Properties was hired to lease the space — but broker Clay Moss thinks the current owners are the first ones ready to make changes needed to attract tenants. He notes American Property Management made the plaza a priority when it first bought the hotel and plaza earlier this year.

Gutting the space is the first step toward helping prospective tenants see what's possible, instead of being limited by what was built 30 years ago, Moss said. "It's horribly dated,” Moss said. "It's nonfunctional, there isn't a lot of lighting, and you can't see anything.” Moss said retailers are interested in exploring options at Century Center Plaza — and appreciate it's location along Sheridan Avenue. In the past few years additions to the immediate area have included new hotels, an expanded convention center and Ford Center. Moss also predicts the southwest corner of the plaza, Robinson and Sheridan avenues, will become a gateway to the "core to shore” development planned for the next decade between the current Interstate 40 Crosstown Expressway and the Oklahoma River.

Moss said re- tail also has a better shot at success in the plaza's first floor because more parking is availa- ble in the above garage since City Center Ga- rage opened across the street. Moss and Cowden said costs of the overall renovation are not yet available. They are awaiting news on whether the concrete facade can be removed and replaced with glass store fronts. Both men agree the current facade is an eyesore.

"Apparently, we're finding out that a lot of the concrete is just decorative precast, and it's not structural,” Moss said. "That would be unbelievably good news.”

Pete
11-14-2007, 07:48 AM
The first floor is the perfect spot for a CVS or Walgreens.

However, a two-story structure on that property is hardly the highest and best use. I'd love to see another hotel tower or even an office building there.

I know there is one level of covered parking and one on the roof above... Is there also some below ground?

HOT ROD
11-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Finally, a much needed shot in the arm for downtown retail!!! :congrats:

NewsOK: Remaking a relic<br/><span class='hl2'>Century Center's owners plan renovation</span> (http://newsok.com/article/3168918/)

Wed November 14, 2007
Century Center's owners plan renovation

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

The 30-year-old Century Center Plaza is, by the admission of its owners, a relic that is in dire need of change.

"The space has just languished for decades,” said Matt Cowden, who manages the plaza along with the adjoining Sheraton hotel. "But the new owners are very serious about changing that and are prepared to put a lot of capital into it.”

With crews already gutting office and retail space dating to the early 1980s, the owners, American Property Management, are hoping to convert the second floor of the plaza into ballroom and meeting space and the first floor into retail.

Construction is expected to start within the next few weeks. Within the next year, Cowden said, the plaza at 189 W Sheridan Ave. will feature 16,000 square feet of new convention space on the second floor.

"Add that to our existing 25,000 square feet and we will have over 41,000 square feet of total meeting space under one roof,” Cowden said. "That will make us the largest convention hotel in Oklahoma City.”

The plaza, the only real retail built during the urban renewal era of the 1960s and 1970s, opened with a mix of restaurants, gift shops, clothing stores, a fitness center and even an FAO Schwartz toy store. The second floor was filled with offices during the oil boom of the early 1980s.

But by the mid-1980s, the plaza was an empty shell in a downtown decimated by job losses. Three years ago, Wiggin Properties was hired to lease the space — but broker Clay Moss thinks the current owners are the first ones ready to make changes needed to attract tenants.

He notes American Property Management made the plaza a priority when it first bought the hotel and plaza earlier this year.

Gutting the space is the first step toward helping prospective tenants see what's possible, instead of being limited by what was built 30 years ago, Moss said.

"It's horribly dated,” Moss said. "It's nonfunctional, there isn't a lot of lighting, and you can't see anything.”

Moss said retailers are interested in exploring options at Century Center Plaza — and appreciate it's location along Sheridan Avenue. In the past few years additions to the immediate area have included new hotels, an expanded convention center and Ford Center.

Moss also predicts the southwest corner of the plaza, Robinson and Sheridan avenues, will become a gateway to the "core to shore” development planned for the next decade between the current Interstate 40 Crosstown Expressway and the Oklahoma River.

Moss said re- tail also has a better shot at success in the plaza's first floor because more parking is availa- ble in the above garage since City Center Ga- rage opened across the street.

Moss and Cowden said costs of the overall renovation are not yet available. They are awaiting news on whether the concrete facade can be removed and replaced with glass store fronts.

Both men agree the current facade is an eyesore.

"Apparently, we're finding out that a lot of the concrete is just decorative precast, and it's not structural,” Moss said. "That would be unbelievably good news.”

HOT ROD
11-14-2007, 03:50 PM
^^

Guys, to me this is one of the biggest tales about the success of Downtown Oklahoma City. The owners of the Century Center plan to NOT ONLY renovate it to bring it to the 21 century, but they also plan to CHANGE THE FACADE and have STREET FRONT RETAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is BIG, in that it is the first MAJOR announcement about retail additions to downtown OKC's core. I've always thought the century center had very much potential that wasn't being used properly. But by redoing the facade with GLASS and having it lined with retail - we would have a 'galleria' style retail mall that we've always dreamed of having, and surely this would set the bar for other building owners (to do the same streetfront retail with their buildings).

I am elated to see Century Center finally take this first major step, this will ensure the success of downtown Oklahoma City and finally we can have pedestrian traffic that we've all see in other major cities. this is a great and much needed start, a HUGE shot in the arm that 'while smaller than Bass Pro', it should be MUCH MORE SIGNIFICANT!!!

CuatrodeMayo
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
This is indeed good news.

FritterGirl
11-14-2007, 06:28 PM
I heard some rumblings about this a few months ago, but nothing concrete. That is indeed great news. I've always felt embarrassed a bit knowing that tourists staying at the Sheraton for major conventions and events would have to experience that blight.

It's really gone downhill since the oil boom days when it was filled with great lunch spots and shops.

HOT ROD
11-14-2007, 06:39 PM
yep, I remember those days parksGal. I am very excited because their focus is on improving the look (glass facade) AND retail storefronts!!!

That alone will make a HUGE difference in downtown OKC because we will FINALLY have an urban looking shopping center in the centre of the CBD (sort of). This should spur improvements in other buildings and additional retail as the Century Center fills up - other people will want to be downtown and buildings will have to act, and so on. ...

anywyas, I can't wait to see the rendering of the 'new' glass building. I am so happy they are getting rid of the concrete facade (and am glad it is not structural), I'd think they should be able to expand the space a bit also.

metro
11-14-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm excited but will be even more so once the work actually starts and completes. As we know, far too many developers have announced plans and watered them down or not done anything at all.

John
11-14-2007, 10:56 PM
I've always thought taking the building the sidewalks and 'recreating' the Baum Building facade would be the perfect way to spruce up that building.

HOT ROD
11-15-2007, 01:37 AM
I agree metro. Maybe there is some way we can put pressure if you will on the city to assist these progressively urban projects so that they happen.

I personally think it will, if for nothing else, due to OKC's emergence as a Tier II and NBA city. Name any city of this league which does not have a significant downtown shopping district or arcade.

We dont want OKC to always be lambasted as the smallest Tier II or NBA market or whatever. Having stuff the other big boys have (and better) only establishes OKC as one of the boys, and certainly I think the Century Center is a BIG step in that direction.

Watson410
11-15-2007, 07:16 AM
Does anyone have a pic of the Century Center... I can't seem to picture where it is for some reason.

Doug Loudenback
11-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Does anyone have a pic of the Century Center... I can't seem to picture where it is for some reason.
I don't have one handy but if I have time I'll take a pic today and post again. But, for reference, it is a 2 story building which is part of and adjoins the hotel immediately the west side, between Main and Sheridan and extending to Robinson.

Pete
11-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Here's a photo:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/century.jpg

betts
11-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Uuuuuuugly!

Midtowner
11-15-2007, 08:51 AM
What a perfect location for a parking garage.

Watson410
11-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks!

Pete
11-15-2007, 12:00 PM
BTW, they've had street-level retail in the past.

Initially, it was more like a mall with all the businesses opening inward but was later renovated to put more glass on the first level and they brought in Taylor's (newstand), a copy shop and some other things.

And just recently, they opened up a large area between the two floors and were using it for events. Now, I guess they are going to close that up so they have a larger contiguous space on the 2nd level.

That place has had at least 3 renovations, all rather weak attempts. I hope this one goes better but they need to spend some serious money.

HOT ROD
11-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I dont ever remember there being street level retail there. I do remember retail being inside the mall on the ground floor, but there never were street front retail that is being built now.

that pic is horrendous and fugly!

jbrown84
11-15-2007, 03:37 PM
street-level and streetfront are two different things

Pete
11-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Taylors was streetfront when it was in the Century Center -- faced Main.

Used to go there all the time when I worked downtown in the 80's.

Comm'l Real Estate Guy
11-15-2007, 06:17 PM
They are already gutting some of the spaces, you all should go by and check it out. They are going to do it in stages, but there is definitely some work going on.

The city owns the parking garage above and below the actual Century Center, so the owners have to work with the city on design concepts before any changes are made to the outside.

HOT ROD
11-16-2007, 02:04 AM
and what are those meanings pray tell?

smarty. ..

jbrown84
11-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Just because something is on the street level doesn't mean it fronts the street.

HOT ROD
11-16-2007, 10:17 PM
If you remember the article, it said and I quote:

current "concrete facade can be removed and replaced with glass store fronts"

need I say any more???

jbrown84
11-19-2007, 09:17 AM
I know they will be street-front NOW, but they weren't in the past is what I'm saying.