View Full Version : Omniplex gets new name/look

metro
11-08-2007, 07:14 AM
I personally think Oklahoma Science Museum would have sounded better than Science Museum Oklahoma, but at least they are creating a new image.

http://www.okcbusiness.com/images/photos/sciencemuseumoklahoma.jpgPersonnel unveil the banner renaming the Omniplex to Science Museum Oklahoma. Photo courtesy Science Museum Oklahoma

Omniplex changes its name to Science Museum Oklahoma

By Stefanie Brickman - 11/7/2007
OKC Business

With Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett providing the countdown, personnel unveiled a new identity today as the Omniplex became Science Museum Oklahoma.

“This is the reinvention of a new facility,” Cornett said. “It will be educating the next generation.”

Jim Farris, Museum Board Chair, said not only is the museum using a new name that more accurately describes what it is, but also a new focus.

Farris said in 2004, key personnel began a strategic planning phase that has included applying for and receiving a five-year $7.2 million Donald W. Reynolds Foundation grant that has upgraded its exhibitions as well as American Association of Museums accreditation.

In 2009, an energy exhibit which has been financially backed by Devon, will debut. Farris expects the exhibit – which will feature everything fossil fuels to alternative energy options – to be the best in the U.S.

The newly named museum will also serve as the hub of the Oklahoma Museum Network with satellite locations in Enid, Lawton, Tulsa and Seminole as well as a mobile museum that will be able to travel throughout the state.

The 366,000-square-foot building opened in 1982.

kmf563
11-08-2007, 07:22 AM
It really is about time to do something with it. I love the place but it really has started lacking in updates. From the exhibits all the way down to the carpet. It just needs a face lift. It gets a lot of attention from tourists.

Nixon7
11-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Yeah, we HAVE to get 'Oklahoma' somewhere in that title just like everything else. The name Omniplex was too far of a reach. I do agree it is time to update that building...

oneforone
11-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Wow, It took them three years to come up with a generic name. Why don't they just name it "The place by the zoo with the IMAX theater, that is full of science stuff"

venture
11-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Agree...this fascination of naming everything "Oklahoma" is getting old. I'm glad we take pride in our state and all, but eventually it just becomes flat out retarded.

jbrown84
11-08-2007, 09:07 AM
The name change makes sense I guess. Not a huge fan of the name.

Otherwise they seem to be going in a really good direction.

MadMonk
11-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I liked the name "Omniplex". They could have at least put an "of" in between Museum and Oklahoma. As it stands, it just sounds retarded.

One other thing, in that photo of the new logo, the lower case e looks like a backwards S or a 2. Why mix cases on the lettering? Again...retarded.

oneforone
11-08-2007, 09:38 AM
I guess everyone will start calling it the SMO. I could even see some calling it the Schmo.

Taggart
11-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Awful... simply awful..

Like I've said many times before, the "Oklahoma Identity Crisis" strikes again!

Oklahoma can't stand to have anything unique. They MUST copy others or they fear they're not good enough.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-08-2007, 11:24 AM
It's a "museum"? I always thought it was more of an interactive and demonstrative science fun park sort of deal. At least that's what it was when I went.

The word "museum" is the equivalent to "house of torture" to kids. If somebody told me that I was going to a museum when I was 12, I'd have rolled my eyes and found something else to do.

Aren't kids the target crowd? Smooth move ex lax.

Taggart
11-08-2007, 11:38 AM
As if attendance wasn't low enough, now they're going to remind people what they're really going to.

And what's with "Oklahoma" in the name of everything. Like people frequently forget where they're at.

Architect2010
11-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Actually, attendance has gone up the past few years...

Cid
11-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Wow, It took them three years to come up with a generic name. Why don't they just name it "The place by the zoo with the IMAX theater, that is full of science stuff"
Probably because it doesn't have an IMAX theater.

The Old Downtown Guy
11-08-2007, 08:29 PM
I've taken lots of grandkids there over the years and have always thought their clunky home-made interactive exhibits were a lot of fun. Not sure I like the new name much and for sure don't care for the sign . . . but with the Reynolds moulah, the quality of the exhibits should go up a ton. They've had some pretty good art shows there too, though I haven't heard much about anything opening there lately. And whatever you call the large format dome screened theater, it's way cool . . . great sound too.

Karried
11-08-2007, 08:40 PM
omg. I hate that sign.

I like the name okay..

I love the idea that they will update and improve but that sign is horrible!

solitude
11-08-2007, 09:02 PM
That. Logo. Is. AWFUL!!!

oneforone
11-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Probably because it doesn't have an IMAX theater.

They play IMAX documentries in The OminDome.... so most people refer to it as an
IMAX theater. It's kind of like when you offers someone you Coke and they have Pepsi, Moutain Dew and Dr. Pepper in the house as well.

This is just for you CID

"The place by the zoo full of science stuff that plays IMAX movies."

Hey.... that is kind of funny they will have to rename the Omni Dome to the SMO Dome. AKA: The Schmo Dome

In fact that is how I will refer to it from now on.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-08-2007, 11:23 PM
They play IMAX documentries in The OminDome.... so most people refer to it as an
IMAX theater. It's kind of like when you offers someone you Coke and they have Pepsi, Moutain Dew and Dr. Pepper in the house as well.

This is just for you CID

Hey.... that is kind of funny fhey will have to rename the Omni Dome to the SMO Dome. AKA: The Schmo Dome

No, it's more like if they offered you a coke, and then handed you water. That "theater" is nothing remotely close to IMAX.

However...Schmo Dome it is!

kevinpate
11-09-2007, 05:16 AM
I'll call it the Omni for years to come. I'm not big on learning new tricks. After all, I still suggest folks visit the Cowboy Hall of Fame

OKCDrummer77
11-09-2007, 06:49 AM
I'll call it the Omni for years to come. I'm not big on learning new tricks. After all, I still suggest folks visit the Cowboy Hall of Fame

Same here. I kept calling the Cox Center the Myriad for at least a year after that change.

Karried
11-09-2007, 07:04 AM
I still call the Underground the Tunnel - ask Metro :-)

teacher girl
11-09-2007, 07:12 AM
i don't care for that logo either~~~ft worth has a good science place and they just have it named fort worth museum of science and history

I don't know about all the changes the omniplex is making, didn't they take away the little air museum and what about the stuff upstairs. GRANTED, the new play area is awesome!! but all the exhibits hold wonderful memories, but new carpet would be GREAT!!

jbrown84
11-09-2007, 09:20 AM
I hadn't heard that the Air & Space Museum was removed.

Also, the International Gymnastics Hall of Fame just moved over there, which is odd because that has nothing to do with science.

kmf563
11-09-2007, 10:40 AM
The air and space museum was there last month, hadn't heard they were moving that either. We were there for the Harry Potter thing. The new play area was fantastic. And the upstairs was all the same with some new additions, including the gymnastics area. It was basically about the physics aspect of it with a play area of mats and balance beams and pictures on the wall of local gymnasts. It wasn't bad. Besides, it's upstairs where a lot of the smaller museums really don't have anything to do with science...like the Native American place and the wall of first ladies dresses of oklahoma.

BDP
11-09-2007, 10:52 AM
This is great that they're going to revamp it some, but I have to agree the new name is LAME. Omniplex was kind of a cool name, imo. Why do we do this? What's weird is that it had a unique brand as the Omniplex, now it's just another science museum that happens to be located in Oklahoma. I'd get an F on that move in any basic marketing class, for sure. :)

Besides, they already have the #1 spot on SERPs for both Yahoo and Google for both 'Omniplex' and 'Science Museum Oklahoma'. They gain nothing by this, imo.

okclee
11-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Would it be possible to change to name back to Omniplex??

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Would it be possible to change to name back to Omniplex??

I think "Slipster McPuffybritches' Insane Emporium of Delightful Doohickeys, Oddities, and a Really Bitchin' Train Set" would go over much better with the younger generation.

Karried
11-09-2007, 01:01 PM
You forgot to include Grossology in the name.. that was my favorite exhibit, where else could one go to inhale different aromas and identify flatulence?

lol, yes, I have boys as offspring.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Heh...I guess that exhibit wasn't around the last time I went.

Karried
11-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Too bad, you'll have to hit it next time.... there's nothing better than learning about bodily functions I always say.

Karried
11-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Actually, on second thought, I rarely say that, in fact, with the exclusion of the above post, I can honestly say I have never uttered that term before in my life - thank goodness. lol

Cid
11-09-2007, 06:12 PM

This is just for you CID

Hey.... that is kind of funny they will have to rename the Omni Dome to the SMO Dome. AKA: The Schmo Dome

Technically, they play IMAX movies that are remastered to their IMAX knockoff system. It's basically the same as watching VHS movie instead of the DVD. Sure it's still cool, but not as cool as IMAX.

What's my point? When they did this OmniDome expansion, what they didn't tell people is that they went with the cheaper "Budget" version of an IMAX. That's why we don't get first run IMAX movies. It's also the reason we don't get feature films because they are only allowed to be played in licensed IMAX theaters.

If it were a real IMAX theater we'd be enjoying feature films in an IMAX setting right now like:
Transformers
Beowulf
I Am Legend
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Polar Express

As we speak, Transformers and Beowulf are playing at the Tulsa IMAX and instead we get Hurricane on the Bayou and will never sniff a feature film. Sure sucks that we went to all this trouble to get an "IMAX" and didn't even get one.

Just sayin'. :)

dismayed
11-10-2007, 08:21 AM
The new name is kind of generic (Science Museum Oklahoma). I wonder why they didn't name it the Oklahoma Science Museum (OSM). Then we could call it "awwsoome."

Karried
11-10-2007, 09:01 AM
(OSM). Then we could call it "awwsoome"

That took me awhile but finally I got it! tee hee

CCOKC
11-10-2007, 09:20 AM
I can see your point about the IMAX versus IWERKS system but the purpose of having the large scale movies at a science museum is to play science related pictures, not first run pictures as you stated above. As a member of the Omniplex for years I have no problem with that. I have visited science museums across the country and have found that to be the case also. The dome aspect of the Omnidome also in my opinion adds to the experience of watching these movies in their full glory. The flat screens of the IMAX don't impress me too much. I have watched Everest on a flat screen and the dome and much prefer the dome.

Cid
11-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I can see your point about the IMAX versus IWERKS system but the purpose of having the large scale movies at a science museum is to play science related pictures, not first run pictures as you stated above. As a member of the Omniplex for years I have no problem with that. I have visited science museums across the country and have found that to be the case also. The dome aspect of the Omnidome also in my opinion adds to the experience of watching these movies in their full glory. The flat screens of the IMAX don't impress me too much. I have watched Everest on a flat screen and the dome and much prefer the dome.

I hear what you are saying. It's a science museum, should be no problem with science movies. I agree with that except that it would be nice to see feature films too.

However, we don't even get first run IMAX science movies. They are first run in IMAX theaters, and when they get to it, they master them in IWERKS and THEN we get to see them. The only first run science movies we get are the ones that are produced specifically for the IWERKS system.

Anywho, it's better than nothing. All this talk about it makes me have an urge to go today.