View Full Version : Broken Car

neonleon
11-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Maybe this should be a poll question but it doesn't look like a lot of people are here to participate so here it is for comment:

If you were in your car, broke down on the side of the freeway, and someone stops to help.....If you had your choice, would you rather a man stop to help, a woman stop to help, or anyone with a cell phone (assuming you didn't have one with you)?

Why?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-07-2007, 06:05 AM
Depends...Is the woman Rosario Dawson?

OKCCrime
11-07-2007, 06:41 AM
I can't see Rosario Dawson changing my flat tire. :)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-07-2007, 06:44 AM

What flat tire?

:D

CMSturgeon
11-07-2007, 09:54 AM

I dunno, did you see that mean kick to Russel Crowe's face? I bet she can change a tire.

Honestly I think I would be more paranoid if a woman stopped to help me, just because it is so unlikely to occur I would think she was just going to rob me. At night, I prefer that no one stops, I would rather just run as fast as possible to a safe place.

PennyQuilts
11-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Nine years ago, my car broke down on the side of the road (pre cell phone) and a couple of guys in a broken down car pulled over. They literally appeared to be living out of their car. The bailed out of the car and hauled themselves down to where I was standing, petrified. They were dirty and hairy. They said, "Hop in! We'll take you to the next town so you can call AAA!" I said, "Thanks, guys, but I don't know you and my kids would kill me if I did that." One of the guys promptly slapped his bare hand across my window and announced, "There, they will be able to trace us because now they have my finger prints! We can't leave you here, lady." I probably was insane to get into the car but to be honest, if they wanted me to go, I was going. So I got in, really wishing I was't wearing a leopard skin thong. They drove me to the next town (which was at least 20 miles out of their way since it was off the interstate), refused to leave until the tow truck showed up, bought me coffee, refused any payment for their help, then went on their merry way. They were just angels. Not being one to tempt fate, I immediately went out and bought a cell phone. My kids didn't kill me but I sure caught heck about it.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-07-2007, 06:28 PM
My kids didn't kill me but I sure caught heck about it.

Probably shouldn't have told them about the thong then huh?

PennyQuilts
11-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I didn't mention the thong. It was my devout hope that the whole subject would NEVER come up.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Oh, but it has now.:banana:

oneforone
11-07-2007, 07:50 PM
These days you can get into just as much trouble stopping to help someone as you can accepting help from a stranger when stranded.

I have heard of criminals using a stalled vehicle as a ruse. They wait until a person stops to help. They wait for the right moment and jump the person. They take their wallet, cellphone and anything else of value and disable the victim's car (if they do not take the car.)

My best advice for anyone is to call OHP, county sheriff or the local police. At the very least the cops will show up and take them somewhere safe where they can wait for help. Sometimes if they have time the cop will push you out of traffic to a safer place or assist you with a flat tire or a jump.

Luckyduck
11-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Don't care if a man or a woman stops as long as I can take 'em.........

Beau Geste
11-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Here is how I handle it.

If a car is disable along side the road I drive maybe 75-100 yards further down the road. I get out and tell my wife if I come walking back alone things are fine. If I come walking back with someone with me she is to drive off and call *55 for the OHP.

I pulled over to help a lady with three teen girls with her. The axle on her car had snapped. Her house was not far away. I gave my cell phone to one of the girls along with my drivers license. Told her to call her Daddy, give him my name and DL number and address and also the tag number of my truck. My truck was loaded with frozen food since Albertsons was having a big sale. The teens came back and gave me my phone back and said they would take a ride to the ladies house from me. They had given their daddy all the info. The lady started to get in the truck and noticed I had a case of beer in the cab, unopened.

She tells me she cannot go anywhere with me since I am transporting beer. I tell her she is being foolish and there is no way in hell I'm going to drink the entire case just to get it out of her sight. The teens finally reason with her and I get them delivered to her place. What an idiot. Truck full of frozen food and she is worried about beer. Damn Holy Rollers...

PennyQuilts
11-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Nice of you to stop. Smart of you to have a plan. At least the Holy Roller made an attempt to abide by her religious beliefs.

That is kind of funny, actually!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Nice of you to stop. Smart of you to have a plan. At least the Holy Roller made an attempt to abide by her religious beliefs.

That is kind of funny, actually!

Religion prohibits the transportation of beer? Ah...I get it...Holy ROLLERS. They don't roll unholy with da brew.

sentrymechanic
12-23-2007, 06:24 PM
I will stop depending on where I am at. I know most of the people in my area being a firefighter so I will help if I can.