View Full Version : Gaijin Sushi coming to the Park Harvey

Pages : [1] 2

jbrown84
11-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Our November newsletter arrived today with the front page news that Gaijin Sushi will be filling the final retail space on the southwest corner of the building.

I'm not a sushi fan, but I'm excited to see an urban restaurant going into that space. It will hopefully liven up the CBD a little.

Construction has begun and they expect to open in early 2008.

okclee
11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Is this the same Gaijin that is currently in Norman??

betts
11-05-2007, 08:22 PM
That's the restaurant I thought was going in the building south of 1492. I wonder what will go in there now, as they're definitely working on the building. Maybe that's where the wine bar will be located.

John
11-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Is this the same Gaijin that is currently in Norman??

Yeah.

I think the proprietors name is Gil Gentry.

HOT ROD
11-06-2007, 03:28 AM
Awesome news, we need to good small hip sushi joints in downtown!!!

metro
11-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Yes, does anyone know if this will affect the Gaijin Sushi that was going in the Midtown development on 11th and Walker? or will there be two downtown locations?

BFizzy
11-06-2007, 07:56 AM
The owner told me at the Norman location a couple of months ago that he was planning on opening a Gaijin Downtown and in the building just south of 1492 in Midtown.

The Old Downtown Guy
11-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Yes, does anyone know if this will affect the Gaijin Sushi that was going in the Midtown development on 11th and Walker? or will there be two downtown locations?

The Midtown location for Gaijin Sushi at 11th and Walker is still a go according to my friends at Banta and the Park Harvey location will be in addition to Midtown. Permit issues have kept this from moving along any faster and they should open in early 2008.

BDP
11-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Does this place have any good sashimi dishes? That's one thing I haven't found at any sushi place here. It's all rolls and nigiri and if they serve sashimi, it's pretty basic. So, will this add anything to our sushi option in the city?

metro
11-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Lotus had good sashimi, of course they are now defunct. I have yet to try sashimi from Sushi Neko.

Pete
11-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Gil Gentry also recently opened Copia's, a Mediterranean restaurant in downtown Norman.

The Norman Transcript - Copia's on the Corridor delights, surprises the taste buds (http://www.normantranscript.com/commerce/local_story_138012414)

MrZ
11-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I live about 10 minutes from the Norman Gaijin Sushi and try to eat there as often as I can. I travel a lot and get to eat at a lot of Sushi places around the country and Gaijin fares pretty well when compared to the sushi in bigger cities.

tuck
11-06-2007, 01:19 PM
The Midtown location for Gaijin Sushi at 11th and Walker is still a go according to my friends at Banta and the Park Harvey location will be in addition to Midtown. Permit issues have kept this from moving along any faster and they should open in early 2008.

2 locations so close together is a mistake in my opinion until Downtown OKC is 100% occupied.

okclee
11-06-2007, 02:30 PM
If they are anything like his Norman restaurant, two locations will do good. Norman is very very small with seating for approx 20 customers and that would include sitting at the sushi bar.

Two small sushi bars would be okay. Two large sushi like sushi Neko would not work until DT OKc is at 100%.

HOT ROD
11-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I disagree Tuck. I suspect that the cbd location would be open during the business hours, but the midtown location would have 'normal' operating hours.

Plus, like OKClee said, if they are small - then it definitely could work. And I suspect they will be small (or at least the one in the CBD will).

I only wish that it would be Gaijin at one location and somebody else at another, so we have some competition and therefore, better sushi/sashimi and prices. having only one (or two) options in all of downtown is nothing more than a monopoly; which doesn't fare well with prices and quality.

jbrown84
11-06-2007, 03:23 PM
The one in the Park Harvey is in a space no larger than your typical Starbucks or Jamba Juice--two tenants I dreamed of for the space.

I'd hope that, considering it's in the CBD's first residential building, that it won't close at 5:00, HOTROD.

Dave Cook
11-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I find the whole Oklahoma City/sushi craze somewhat intriguing.

Ever notice how so many of the ethnic restaurants on the reservation are actually owned by people from those respective communities while Japanese establishments are the exception?

Mexican places are typically owned by Mexicans, East Asian places by real-life Indians, Korean places- Koreans....the fantastic Vietnamese spots started by Vietnamese immigrants.

Yet, every Japanese restaurant is always owned by a local businessman or a Korean or Vietnamese immigrant trying to make a buck off the trend.

I long for the day an actual Japanese community develops and with it....the real taste of Nippon.

(And with it....SHABU-SHABU!!!!)

dismayed
11-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Isn't Tokyo Japanese Restaurant owned by a Japanese family that spends part of its time in Japan and part here?

metro
11-06-2007, 07:54 PM
The one in the Park Harvey is in a space no larger than your typical Starbucks or Jamba Juice--two tenants I dreamed of for the space.

I'd hope that, considering it's in the CBD's first residential building, that it won't close at 5:00, HOTROD.

Actually jbrown, the Regency Tower, Sycamore Square, Montgomery, and 5th Avenue Lofts were in the CBD well before the Park Harvey. I still imagine it will close by 7pm but I agree, I don't see it closing at 5pm. HOT ROD, don't dismiss tuck's opinion too much, he is in the restaurant business, you may have heard of Red Prime.

Dave Cook
11-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Yes, it is. Tokyo Restaurant is owned and operated by real-life, Nihongo speakin Japanese! And Thank Buddha!

HOT ROD
11-07-2007, 01:50 AM
metro, you beat me to it - Park Harvey is not the CBD's first residential digs.

Also, I wasn't dismissing Tuck - I was just saying how I could see a twin location could survive if not prosper if at least one of the locations were small and/or had restricted hours catoring to a particular demographic (in the cbd, how about office workers??)

irregardless that it is located in Park Harvey, Im sure residents there wont make up the bulk of the customers; the bulk will come from the 40,000 or so office workers nearby!!! Just like what happens at the other cbd restaurants (most of which close at 5pm, am I not correct??)

Nevertheless, Im glad that it is happening. I will sample next time Im in the city. I've been reluctant to try sushi in OKC, coming from Seattle (where it is top knotch in Vancouver). We usually like to eat at the stuff we dont have when we go to OKC, places you guys probably dont feel too high about.

jbrown84
11-07-2007, 08:27 AM
the Regency Tower, Sycamore Square, Montgomery, and 5th Avenue Lofts

None of those are in the CBD.

The Old Downtown Guy
11-07-2007, 08:33 AM
2 locations so close together is a mistake in my opinion until Downtown OKC is 100% occupied.

Though close together as the crow flies, the locations seem distant in market appeal. The 11th and Walker shop is in an emerging restaurant row and should attract plenty of happy hour and evening trade while the Park Harvey location is totally downtown and much more of a nooner. From strickly a competition stand point, not terribly different than Mickey Mantle’s in Bricktown and Red on Automobile Alley . . . both dinner only places with Red getting the watering hole honors.

Of course, time will provide the answer. I hope both Gaijins do well, just as I have only best wishes for success at Mickey Mantle and Red.

metro
11-07-2007, 09:05 AM
None of those are in the CBD.

Regency Tower is not in the CBD?

jbrown84
11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Not officially. That would be arts district by DTOKC, Inc definitions, and even if you don't want to use those boundaries, just look at that location. It's not surrounded by offices--it's not central business district.

tuck
11-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Though close together as the crow flies, the locations seem distant in market appeal. The 11th and Walker shop is in an emerging restaurant row and should attract plenty of happy hour and evening trade while the Park Harvey location is totally downtown and much more of a nooner. From strickly a competition stand point, not terribly different than Mickey Mantle’s in Bricktown and Red on Automobile Alley . . . both dinner only places with Red getting the watering hole honors.

Of course, time will provide the answer. I hope both Gaijins do well, just as I have only best wishes for success at Mickey Mantle and Red.

Speaking as an operator, I think it is a mistake to have 2 locations so close together. As a customer, we would love our favorite restaurant within walking distance. I just see it as doubling the expenses without much change in revenue. He could do the same amount of revenue out of the Midtown store with 1/2 the expenses. It is very hard to make a good living on a 20-seat restaurant...the math just doesn't work. I do think they will do great in Midtown; really nice fit.

BDP
11-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Lotus had good sashimi, of course they are now defunct. I have yet to try sashimi from Sushi Neko.

They have a new "appetizer" that is supposed to be hamachi in a citrus soy sauce. I was so excited when I saw it, but it was horrible. The fish was actually tough and even if the fish was good, the sauce didn't thrill me at all. They didn't charge me for it and said that was not how it is supposed to be, but I'm gun shy now and don't know if I'll try it again. That is, unless I can get the money back guarantee up front. ;)

MrZ
11-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I had lunch at the Norman location yesterday and they said they were moving to the new building being built to the East of them along the frontage road. They said it would be 1/4 of the building and would be about 4 times the size of the current store.

HOT ROD
11-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Tuck, I hear ya and agree; but I think it could survive given the cbd location would probably have different hours and possibly ONLY a sushi/sashimi menu whereas I'd bet the MidTown location would be larger, open longer, and possibly have a more expanded menu.

Im sure downtowners in the CBD will appreciate having a true sushi joint right in the office district (vs. having to go to Midtown) whereas the new MidTowners and inner city urbanites (ie those who live in the inner city) will appreciate the Midtown location (with some sort of parking I assume).

I think it could work, like I said - provided that the stores are a little different (if nothing else, in hours open).

But like I said, I am excited about sushi/sashimi hole in the wall in the cbd, I hope more comes as the downtown workforce improves so we can get some good competition (ie, good prices and quality!!!).

solitude
11-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Hey JBrown, How do you like living in the Park Harvey? What type of people are living there? What about amenities? Would you mind posting a short pros and cons list of the PH?

Dave Cook
11-09-2007, 10:09 PM
tuck....

You say you are an 'operator'.......you mean in the business of selling sushi?

Question.....what is it that makes sushi in Oklahoma City and cities in this area so damned expensive? The expense of having it shipped in? I've been to a few area sushi places and have been really surprised to see the final tabs.....considering the often subpar quality of sushi.

I'm convinced so much of the sushi craze is simply that...'craze'. It's the 'look at me' meal of the moment. Any evening at Musashi's or Sushi Neko will prove that point.

But our old, hole-in-the-wall carousel sushi shops in Tokyo served much better fish at half the cost. And the chefs actually knew what 'chutoro' meant. ;)

Sorry to sound pretentious.....just curious.

tuck
11-10-2007, 04:28 AM
By operator, I mean I am a restaurant owner/operator...not a sushi expert. I do know that the check averages at our local Sushi/Japanese restaurants are tremendously lower than larger markets. Seafood is expensive, sushi-grade costs even more. Also, OKC is sure not flooded with excellent sushi chefs...these are special people, expensive people.

tuck
11-10-2007, 04:39 AM
tuck....

But our old, hole-in-the-wall carousel sushi shops in Tokyo served much better fish at half the cost. And the chefs actually knew what 'chutoro' meant. ;)

Sorry to sound pretentious.....just curious.

Well, expensive doesn't always translate into better. I love hole-in-the-wall spots but usually return to more NON hole-in-the-wal joints mainly because of superior service and atmosphere....which costs money.

FritterGirl
02-13-2008, 09:49 PM
I noticed the awnings are up on the corner of Park and Main. They're black with blue and green lettering. Looks like they've done a significant amount of interior work, as well.

Anyone have an update on when they'll be opening, or whether they'll do lunch as well as dinner?

It's exciting to see new street-level developments - especially restaurants - in this part of town.

jbrown84
02-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Hey JBrown, How do you like living in the Park Harvey? What type of people are living there? What about amenities? Would you mind posting a short pros and cons list of the PH?

Did I not answer this? Oops.

PROS
-downtown, urban
-walking distance to Civic Center, Skirvin, OKCMOA, Bricktown, etc
-GREAT staff
-feels completely safe
-young crowd--almost feels like a dorm
-flat rate on utilities
-not as expensive as Legacy, Deep Deuce, Classen, Montgomery
-huge walk in closet, plus a coat closet
-business center and clubhouse room
-monthly socials at downtown restaurants

CONS
-no w/d in unit--large coin op laundry room on 2nd floor
-no outgoing mailbox (bizarre, I know)
-2 bedrooms are not designed for roommates--its more of a master bed & study
-elevators have been subject to ongoing problems. Nothing major. they work
-not a lot of kitchen storage space (in the studio at least)
-parking is not provided, but most park on the street w/out problems

Overall, I like it a lot. The laundry thing is the only real con for me, but I will probably move when my lease is up because I will have a roommate.

dismayed
02-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Just curious how guests come to visit... do they have to buzz in on a speaker phone or something like that?

metro
02-16-2008, 08:47 PM
visit the sushi place? it has an outdoor entrance.

mecarr
02-16-2008, 09:58 PM
visit the sushi place? it has an outdoor entrance.

I think he meant how to visit the apartments.

jbrown84
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Just curious how guests come to visit... do they have to buzz in on a speaker phone or something like that?

In the day time (business hours), it is open. At night, there is a box that allows you to buzz residents. It actually just calls your phone, and then you press a number to open the door for them.

solitude
02-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Did I not answer this? Oops.

PROS
-downtown, urban
-walking distance to Civic Center, Skirvin, OKCMOA, Bricktown, etc
-GREAT staff
-feels completely safe
-young crowd--almost feels like a dorm
-flat rate on utilities
-not as expensive as Legacy, Deep Deuce, Classen, Montgomery
-huge walk in closet, plus a coat closet
-business center and clubhouse room
-monthly socials at downtown restaurants

CONS
-no w/d in unit--large coin op laundry room on 2nd floor
-no outgoing mailbox (bizarre, I know)
-2 bedrooms are not designed for roommates--its more of a master bed & study
-elevators have been subject to ongoing problems. Nothing major. they work
-not a lot of kitchen storage space (in the studio at least)
-parking is not provided, but most park on the street w/out problems

Overall, I like it a lot. The laundry thing is the only real con for me, but I will probably move when my lease is up because I will have a roommate.

Thanks - good overview! It's okay you missed my question. Sometimes it's hard to keep up around this place. Park Harvey sounds nice and pretty well-managed.

metro
02-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Gaijin Sushi @ Park Harvey 2/22/08

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG3581.JPG

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG3582.JPG

Mr. K
03-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I have lived off and on in Japan and Hawaii for almost the last 10 years but I am from OK. The thought of sushi there seems strange to me since it is not close to an ocean or anything. Gajiin means foreigner which is also an odd name for a sushi place I guess.

kevinpate
03-08-2008, 01:51 PM
I suppose they coulda just called it
Da Bait Bucket :)

color me as he who takes a pass on this particular craze.

John
03-08-2008, 06:45 PM
I have lived off and on in Japan and Hawaii for almost the last 10 years but I am from OK. The thought of sushi there seems strange to me since it is not close to an ocean or anything. Gajiin means foreigner which is also an odd name for a sushi place I guess.

Distance to the ocean doesn't mean sushi is any fresher on the 'coasts'.

Mr. K
03-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Tell that to the Japanese

John
03-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I was referring to America.

Dave Cook
03-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh no!!! Resident white guy turn Nipponophile!

""But it goes beyond just food, all white people either have/will/or wished they had taught English in Japan. It is a dream for them to go over seas and actually live in Japan. This helps them not only because it fills their need to travel, it will enable them to gain important leverage over other white people at Sushi restaurants where they can say “this place is pretty good, but living in Japan really spoiled me. I’ve had such a hard time finding a really authentic place.” ""

#58 Japan « Stuff White People Like (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/02/07/58-japan/)

Now...having made fun of ourselves....Mr. K is correct. The sushi offered at all these local spots is way over-priced ($5 for two pieces of Nigiri sushi???) and the quality is nowhere what you'd find at a hole-in-the-wall carousel sushi bar in Asakusa.

dismayed
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I think it would help if we had a big airport hub... I really think being one jump off effects sushi freshness.

On the other hand, we have several Asian supermarkets around town that have live fish that they will kill on the spot and scale for you. I don't know why local sushi restaurants don't just take this approach.

Mr. K
03-10-2008, 03:56 AM
I was in the military at the time, not teaching English. Japan was great though!

Dave Cook
03-10-2008, 11:31 AM
That's a good point.

Oklahoma City really suffers with the fact we don't have a permanent Japanese community here. Our ethnic restaurants our generally really good and authentic (Korean, Mexican, Indian, Vietnamese, etc) but our Japanese restaurants are all owned by white guys who are looking to make money off a fad.

Please, please......bring shabu-shabu to Oklahoma City.

Halfpint919
04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
I use to work at the Gaijin Sushi in Norman when I was going to college. So to clear up a few of the previous posts. No, Gil is not Japanese. But he did train to be a sushi chef in Japan for several years. And the reason the restaurant is called Gaijin is because that was his nickname while he was training. He was the "foreigner".

I am really excited that he is expanding his business to OKC. The Norman location, although small, did very well.

mecarr
04-08-2008, 05:55 PM
it should be open by now...

OKCMallen
04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
they have a permit hearing in about a week.

KurtTGS
04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I applied there today. We'll see how it goes.

metro
04-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Kurt, are you saying you're the owner of Gaijin?

mecarr
04-10-2008, 08:37 AM
A guy named Gil is the owner of Gaijn.

jbrown84
04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
He applied to work there, metro.

metro
04-10-2008, 01:11 PM
gotcha. makes sense. we were talking about them applying for a permit, and then he said he applied today, so I assumed he meant he filed for a permit with the city today.

Chef Foy
04-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Hello all,

Yes, Gaijin is coming to Park & Harvey. Hopefully, 4/11 will be the opening day. Gil has a solid business plan in place and will have about 5 locales running in the area within the next year. Despite some of the pessimistic viewpoints regarding the business end, this place will cater to a crowd willing to pay for convenience and should do nicely due to the number of "high end" offices/professionals in the immediate vicinity.

Who cares if its small. If you think having a huge eatery with lots of room to hang out is profitable, then you obviously don't make a living in this industry. Get in, have your meal, and get out so the next customer can be seated. This is business.

Gaijins menu will provide a very well-rounded menu considering it is owned and managed by a "gaijin" who is well educated in this type of cuisine. I always find it funny when someone in the states, especially Oklahoma, complains about the authenticity of their cuisine. Go visit the country of origin if you want that, but if your complaining about paying $5 for a two-piece nigiri, then you should probably stick to a filet-o-fish sandwich.

Just because a sushi house is owned and operated by a Japanese family doesn't necessarily mean it's the best thing around or more "authentic". Although, I do have a fetish for the folks over at Tokyo House, I certainly don't have any misconceptions regarding the reality of their past or abilities. In other words, if you think that the Asian dude preparing your meal grew up in a rice patty learning how to play with fish his whole life and would love to do nothing else than show you what all those old, archaic lessons have taught him, then you need a wake-up call. It's 2008. Most consumers, especially in the Midwest, can't afford to be entertained by a traditionally trained sushi chef who spent at least seven years training for something that most westerners would never appreciate or pay for.

So, be happy you have some variety here in OKC and people who are willing to bring something other than tex-mex, Nonnas re-run, or another family-style i love this joint eatery to our metro. Unless your some high-flying, jetsetter who can afford to go to foreign places for "real" cuisine, and there are plenty of people in this area who think they have that kind of money(sorry Wade), then sit down, have a nice glass of wine or a $22 martini, order something you can't prepare yourself, have some laughs, and get out so the next customer can do the same. This is business.

jbrown84
04-11-2008, 09:43 AM
That was a tad defensive, but I generally agree with you. I live in the Park Harvey, and although I don't care for sushi, I'm excited about Gaijin coming in. It will be great for downtown, and a hit I have no doubt.