View Full Version : Development Question

Kerry
11-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Many of us on this forum live out of state and are aware of developments in our local communities that are either on hold or are looking for other place to develope. If I know of development that is on hold who could I contact in OKC to maybe get these projects redirected.

Here is a case in point. In Jacksonville there was high-rise condo development call "The St. Johns". It was supposed to be build in downtown Jacksonville and is 51 stories. The developer announced last week that the project has been put on hold until the North Florida market rebounds. Living in Jax I can tell you it will take 2 years for the rebound. I would like to send a letter to the devloper (which is in Houston) about considering moving this project to downtown OKC.

Here are some links:
The St. John, Jacksonville, FL : Hines Interests (http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=1751)
Hines postpones groundbreaking for The St. John condominium tower Downtown - Jacksonville Business Journal: (http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2007/10/29/daily17.html)

OU Adonis
11-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Many of us on this forum live out of state and are aware of developments in our local communities that are either on hold or are looking for other place to develope. If I know of development that is on hold who could I contact in OKC to maybe get these projects redirected.

Here is a case in point. In Jacksonville there was high-rise condo development call "The St. Johns". It was supposed to be build in downtown Jacksonville and is 51 stories. The developer announced last week that the project has been put on hold until the North Florida market rebounds. Living in Jax I can tell you it will take 2 years for the rebound. I would like to send a letter to the devloper (which is in Houston) about considering moving this project to downtown OKC.

Here are some links:
The St. John, Jacksonville, FL : Hines Interests (http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=1751)
Hines postpones groundbreaking for The St. John condominium tower Downtown - Jacksonville Business Journal: (http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2007/10/29/daily17.html)

Now thats a development! I think OKC is a bit far off from that, we need more population to support projects like that. But gosh, sign me up when we have something like this.

Blangdon
11-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree with the adonis. However, if you have any companies or development referrals to OK. Please do not hesitate to call The Valescere Group at 405-213-0407. They are a recently created company that helps companies make an easy transition to OKC. Whether that be working as a liaison between the departments of commerce and tourism or individual chambers of commerce and companies around the state.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Britton

betts
11-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Isn't the population of metro Jacksonville about the same as Oklahoma City? My son restored a house in Springfield so I've spent a fair amount of time there. It's a fairly similar city, IMO, except that they have a professional football team. So, I'd so go for it.

OU Adonis
11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Isn't the population of metro Jacksonville about the same as Oklahoma City? My son restored a house in Springfield so I've spent a fair amount of time there. It's a fairly similar city, IMO, except that they have a professional football team. So, I'd so go for it.

Well I think I would find it a bit odd that the tallest building by far in OKC would be a condo development.

lpecan
11-05-2007, 03:22 PM
I lived in Jacksonville for a while. Its a very similar city to OKC, though there's a bit more retail downtown. I can't for the life of me figure out how it could support a 51 story condo.

Kerry
11-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Downtown Jacksonville has 4 highrise condos under development right now. The St John would be the tallest building in Jcskonville if it is ever built. Having lived in both Jax and OKC I can tell you Jacksonville is much smaller than OKC. The census figures are skewed because Jacsksonville and Duval County are consolidated. Because St John and Nassau counties touch Jacksonville city limits they get counted as part of the metro area even though you go through 20 miles of rural land between towns. I don't see why something like this couldn't exist in OKC either along the river or the turn on the canal.

dalelakin
11-05-2007, 05:13 PM
http://www.okc.gov/pw/trafficcom/wardspdf/EntireCityWARDSmap.pdf

The same could be said for OKC on skewing the numbers couldn't it?

I live in OKC have a Yukon address and my children attend Mustang schools hows that for confusing? heh:tiphat:

Kerry
11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
dalekin - I wasn't exaggerating about the 20 miles between towns though. Urbanized Jax is pretty dense with tons of rural land inside the city limits. I live on the edge of town and I am only 11 miles from downtown. On interstate 10 East bound you can see downtown Jax before you get to the first Jax exit ramp. When I lived in Norman I was 21 miles south of downtown. Except for a streatch near Inidan Hills Road it was city the whole way.

The real urban population of Jax is probably around 800,000 but I digress. I will call the number Briton left above and see if this building can be constructed in OKC.

solitude
11-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I will call the number Briton left above and see if this building can be constructed in OKC.

THE PHONE CALL THAT CHANGED OUR SKYLINE:

"Kerry? Oh, yes, Kerry!! Uh huh. Yes. You would like me to build the multi-million dollar 52-story condos in Oklahoma City? Tell me, well, let me think...... YES! I'll DO IT! I'll call construction and get them busy, say, Monday? No, Kerry, damn, it looks like I can't get that project in Okie City going until Wednesday next..........Yes.......Well, I'm sorry, Kerry, that's as soon as I can get things in motion. But I'm glad you called and we'll definitely be building in....where was that aga.....oh, yeah.....in Oklahoma City. Thank you Kerry. We'll see you when you move in. Can I sign you up for the penthouse suite? No? Does anyone there have any money? Oh well, thanks to your call, I'm going to build this thing in Oklahoma and again, thanks for the suggestion. I kind of run a loose ship around here. After all, we're just talking millions and millions of dollars. Now If we were talking BILLIONS, that might be different. But this small project should be a slam dunk. In fact, I've been waiting for somebody to call and suggest a new city. I never give that kind of thing much thought - so suggestions are ALWAYS welcome. Yes Kerry, I know, build it and they will come. Great line! Thanks again for the call. See you soon....uh.....surely you can make the ribbon cutting? Good deal. Bye Kerry."

Just kidding. Just a joke. Good luck bringing the project to OKC! :)

http://aycu40.webshots.com/image/33079/2004098969260521273_rs.jpg

Kerry
11-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Solitude - I am sensing a touch of sarcasm in your post but let me say this about that. The Hines Company has already spent several million dollars developing their plan. As it is now, that is sevaral million dollars wasted because the project isn't being constructed. The company has the plans developed and the financing in place, the market in Jax simply doesn't exist right now. However, that market might exist in OKC. If it does then it is possible the Hines could take a look and see if it is feasable. What is wrong with asking?

When I was a city planner in Florida AMC wanted to build a 20 screen mega-plex near our town. However, homeowners in the area were concerned about traffic so the plan was scrapped. The next day my boss called the developer and offered to help find a location in our town. They agreed to drive around the town with him and they found a location. The project was moved 2 miles and everyone won. The developer got to move forward with the project, AMC got their new theater, residents had access to a top quality theater, and the city collected a ton of sales tax revenue. Plus we got rid of an abandond strip mall.

Midtowner
11-06-2007, 07:14 AM
At $225/square foot, there would considerable margin for profit.