View Full Version : Walmart/Clinton partner up on green drive

metro
11-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Since OKC is a test market for Wal-Mart, we should all email the company and ask that they start testing their "green initiatives" here in OKC first. This would be huge to OKC for many reasons. For one it would be better on our environment, two it would save lots of money, three it would help drive down the costs of LED lighting (super efficient, 2-3 times more than the CFL bulbs that are twice as efficient as a standard bulb) as well as other products, and four OKC would start to be seen as a more progressive, environmentally friendly city such as Portland, Seattle, San Fran, and Austin are, which would help lead us to more economic development.

PennyQuilts
11-06-2007, 02:59 PM
OKC would start to be seen as a more progressive, environmentally friendly city such as Portland, Seattle, San Fran, and Austin are, which would help lead us to more economic development.

I look forward to the day when Oklahomans begin to take pride in who they are instead of being embarassed that they aren't something else.

No offense intended.

metro
11-07-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm not saying I want us to copy another city. I have plenty of pride in this city, I ran for city council 2 years ago and am on the board of downtown's residents association. I know you mentioned no offense, but hear my reason for starting the thread.

What I am saying is I want us as a city TO TAKE PRIDE in our city and quit littering and polluting our land. I want us to get with the times and be good stewards of our environment. Out of 3 countries and 40+ states I've visited, Oklahoma by far is the most littered and unaware about environmental issues. Even our step-sister Arkansas does much more when it comes to beautification and sustainability.

I don't think its not taking pride by educating and encouraging our citizens to save energy, use more environmentally friendly products, and set standards in sustainable and efficient living. If anything, I'd say it's selfish, uneducated pride that's been standing in our way for too long. (and I'm a conservative, not a liberal)

PennyQuilts
11-07-2007, 03:28 PM
That makes sense. I think we should all take pride in our city, too. And that means you don't trash it, of course. Thanks for elaborating.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Metro, I've been to 30-40 countries, and 48 of the states, and I can tell you that we aren't that bad. Philly is the nastiest city I've been to in this country by a LONG shot. That place was foul. So was a great deal of NYC.

Mexico is disgusting, Ecuador looks like a rotten Tijuana, Venezuela looks like a big barrio, Korea isn't so nice, and most of the middle eastern countries I've been to aren't the greatest either.

That said...I do think we're worse than average for the U.S. (I'm speaking of how clean we are, not so much on the "green" factor). People throwing crap out their car windows gets me all riled up to a point of embarrassing them. Same with lazy people and shopping carts in parking lots. I'm one of thoes jerks that will yell across a parking lot if I see somebody leaving a cart in the lot, and god forbid I see somebody push a cart off in a random direction...But I digress...

Being "green" is going to take a lot more than getting Wally-World to carry LED lighting for decent prices. This is a state where the majority of people think that global warming is a myth (or at least isn't exacerbated by man) and a 7,000 lb, oil burning SUV is an okay way to transport 1 child to daycare...Although...I guess it's not going to happen over night, and pushing green things in people's faces all the time will eventually start to take hold I'd imagine. Be a tough sell, but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

jbrown84
11-09-2007, 02:23 PM
I agree about litter. No way we are even close to the worst in the country.