View Full Version : Downtown in December

Patrick
11-30-2004, 12:26 AM
Okay, downtownguy had an excellent blog entry summing this all up.

Check it out at www.downtownguy.blogspot.com or read it below!
----------------------
"Downtown in December!

I’m impressed. Very impressed. And hopefully, you will be impressed as well.

Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. is stepping up its annual “Downtown in December” festival this year, and once again, the city’s corporate leaders (including newcomer U.S. Cellular) are paying the tab to provide residents one really great Christmas present. I’ve printed below a list of activities and details ripped off mostly from Downtown OKC’s web site, but added in my own comments and information from elsewhere:

Festivities start Friday. The Oklahoman Bricktown Christmas tree, the state’s largest, will be lit by Mayor Mick Cornett at 6 p.m. Towering over 50-feet-tall and festooned with more than 20,000 lights, the Colorado blue spruce is Bricktown's majestic symbol of the holiday season. Santa, carolers, children’s festivities, holiday treats and even fireworks will highlight the celebration. Entertainment begins at 5:30 p.m. with the tree lighting at 6 p.m. The tree will be located at the Canal Overlook across from the SBC Bricktown Ballpark.

The Braums Ice Rink, perhaps the most popular recent downtown holiday addition, returns better than before. Civic Center Park, 201 N Walker, is transformed into the region's largest outdoor ice skating rink. Now in its third year, the Braum’s Ice Rink measures 62' x 150' and will be located on the grand lawn in front of the Civic Center Music Hall.

Rink hours will be noon to 10 p.m. daily. It will be open from Friday through January 2. The rink will close at 5 p.m. on Christmas Eve and re-open at noon on Christmas Day.
Cost to skate is $8, which includes skate rental and a two-hour session. The cost is $5 for those who supply their own skates.

Hungry skaters and spectators can visit the Braum's Ice Rink Café for hot cocoa, coffee, soda, hot dogs, hamburgers and, of course, ice cream.

Every Monday through the skate season will be discount day at the rink. Skaters bringing a friend can buy one regular admission and get one free.

New this year, the ice rink will transform into a disco inferno on select Friday nights, featuring a fog machine and live DJ playing disco from the 1970's and early 80's. Disco Night will be celebrated from 6 – 10 p.m. on Friday, November 26, December 3, 10 and 17. I can’t ice skate, but I’ll be sure to be out there watching.

Skaters also will be treated to more entertainment this year. The Dorchester Capital entertainment stage will be busy featuring choirs such as the Sweet Adelines, Spiritful Voices and many local church and school chorals. Surprise appearances by the OKC Blazers, the Braum's cow and Santa are also scheduled. Those wanting to document their "Downtown in December" experience can have their photos taken for a modest fee.

Kerr-McGee, which has been out promoting downtown long before it was fashionable, is once again providing free rides on Bricktown Canal every Thursday through Sunday between 6 p.m. and 9: 30 p.m. With Lower Bricktown open and that portion of the canal, the Christmas decorations ought to be pretty spectacular this year.

While in Bricktown, also check out the Devon World of Trees displayed at the SBC Bricktown Ballpark Plaza on Mickey Mantel Drive in Bricktown. This exhibit is really special, but didn’t get the notice it should have last year in the lobby of the Cox Convention Center. Guests are invited to stroll through a grove of over 20 trees decorated by groups representing various countries, cultures, crafts and organizations in Oklahoma. The whimsical walk through giant 12’ lighted trees is not only dazzling, but educational as well. The event runs from Friday through January 2 and is free to the public. Viewing hours are from 12 p.m. – 10 p.m. daily.

As an addition to the Devon World of Trees, families will be delighted by the new Children’s Holiday Village with visits from Santa, games and rides. To add to the holiday atmosphere, roasted chestnuts, smores and hot cider will be available.

Just down the canal, the foliage will sparkle and glitter with Bricktown Lights and Trees sponsored by Bass Pro Shops and Sonic. Walking the canal path, guests can see more than 40 festive holiday trees decorated by metro area schools. The project is a partnership of the Bricktown Association, Jim Thorpe Association and the Oklahoma City Public Schools. Prizes are supplied by Hobby Lobby Creative Centers.

A twinkling oasis awaits visitors to downtown Oklahoma City's Myriad Botanical Gardens this holiday season for OG&E Garden Lights. The 17-acre urban garden will be abloom with lights, music and activities from November 26 to January 2.
The outdoor grounds will glow as thousands of white lights dip and wind along garden paths and around trees. Add a dash of traditional holiday music and an enormous 17-foot wreath and the season couldn't be brighter.

Of all the dazzling lights in the Gardens, the largest and most brilliant ornament is the 224-foot-long Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory – lit from the inside out in stunning red and green hues.

The Crystal Bridge is an immense, eye-popping jungle oasis overflowing with exotic, blooming flowers, towering palm trees and a series of crashing waterfalls. A playful "Jungle Bells" theme, complete with lighted, swinging monkeys, colorful toucans and water-loving alligators will peek from lush vegetation thriving in the jungly ecological sphere.
The Crystal Bridge will be open free to the public for a twilight viewing of OG&E Garden Lights from 6 – 9 p.m. every Sunday in December. Crystal Bridge hours are 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon – 6 p.m. Sunday. The Crystal Bridge is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day. Admission is $6 for adults, $5 for students and seniors 62+ and $3 for children 4 – 12. The Gardens is located at Reno and Robinson in downtown Oklahoma City.

By the way, if you’re looking to buy the kids a cat or dog for Christmas, Best Friends of the Oklahoma City Animal Shelter will host their annual Save-A-Pet holiday adoption outreach between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. December 2 and 3 at First National Center, 120 North Robinson, and December 8 and 9 at Leadership Square, 211 North Robinson.

Adoption fees are $65, and all pets have received a health exam, are vacinated and have been sprayed or neutered. Four free dog obedience classes are available with each dog adoption. Eight years have passed since I adopted my wonderful dog from the city, and I’ll never regret it.

By the way, don’t forget you can combine all this with visits to the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and it’s great independent film theater, the Harkins Bricktown 16, a Blazers game at Ford Center, shopping at a handful of stores along the canal, Bass Pro Shops, eating out at more than two dozen restaurants, or a performance at the Civic Center by the Philharmonic, Ballet Oklahoma, Celebrity Attractions, or elsewhere at Stage Center, or the Skyline Theater.

Now don’t you dare say there is nothing to do downtown, or Santa will put an ugly chunk of coal in your stocking! (Oh, by the way, I’ve yet to tell you about the two biggest additions coming to the December holiday celebrations. I guess we’ll have to do that tomorrow!)

- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com"

floater
12-05-2004, 11:30 AM
I think it's terrific what's going down in downtown in December. OKC's corporate community is stepping up to the plate to produce the best series of Christmas time events and activities I've ever seen. I used to like just having those crosses on the (former) Bank One tower and Kerr-McGee plus the OG & E lights, but all this stuff is fantastic. I can't wait to return for Christmas vacation and soak up all of it -- the Christmas Village, World of Trees, and river parade!! And snow slopes for next year??!!!

We should promote this throughout the state and central plains region, because no other city I know has this kind of seasonal synergy! OKC as a Christmas-time destination!!

Downtown in December' signs on corporate sponsors
By Jim Stafford
Business Writer

It's beginning to look a lot like a "corporate" Christmas in downtown Oklahoma City this holiday season.
Corporate sponsors

Downtown in December sponsors and venues:

U.S. Cellular Corp., presenting sponsor.

Braum's Dairy and Ice Cream Stores: Braum's Ice Rink, 201 N Walker; through Jan. 2.

The Oklahoman: The Oklahoman Christmas Tree, across Mickey Mantle Ave. from SBC Bricktown Ballpark, through Jan. 2.

Bass Pro Shops and Sonic Corp.: Bricktown Lights and Trees, throughout the entertainment district, through Jan 2.

OG&E: OG&E Garden Lights at the 17-acre Myriad Botanical Gardens, Reno and Robinson avenues, through Jan. 2.

Kerr-McGee Corp.: Kerr-McGee Holidays on the Canal; free rides on the Bricktown Water Taxi every Thursday through Sunday through Dec. 26 (except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day).

Devon Energy Corp.: Devon World of Trees and Children's Christmas Village, SBC Bricktown Ballpark, through Jan. 2.

Bank of Oklahoma and Bank One: Downtown in December 5K Run, 5 p.m. Dec. 11, throughout the downtown area.

Dorchester Capital: Alaskan-style entertainment at various times throughout downtown and at the Braum's Ice Rink.

Other sponsors: Accord Human Resources, BancFirst, Beffort Brooks/Grubb-Ellis, Bob Howard Auto Group, Business Improvement District, Chesapeake Energy, City of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma City Convention and Visitor's Bureau, Dolese Brothers, Dominion Exploration and Production, First Maintenance Co., Fox 25, Gibson Designs, Johnson & Associates, KISS-FM, Lofland Steel, Mattison Publishing, MidFirst Bank, Minick Materials, The Payne Family, Perimeter Technology Center, Phase 2, Oklahoma RedHawks, SBC Communications, Sheraton Hotel, St. Anthony Hospital, ThyssenKrupp Elevator, Timberlake Construction, Walker Cos., Wiggin Properties

More than three dozen of the city's leading business institutions have signed on as sponsors for the annual Downtown in December event which expects to attract more than 250,000 people to downtown.

The $600,000, 38-day extravaganza is sponsored by the nonprofit Downtown OKC Inc. economic development agency, run by myriad volunteers and underwritten by a corporate community eager to be associated with what is quickly becoming a premier event for the city.

"It's amazing because the event was just a gleam in the eye just three years ago," said Dave Lopez, president of Downtown OKC. "It started with about $35,000 in sponsorships and this year will exceed $600,000. It has grown exponentially in the three years."

Once the event got rolling and found there was a big audience for downtown attractions in December, sponsors rushed to climb aboard, he said.

Corporate logos seemingly are everywhere as visitors wander from venue to venue to take in the sights and sounds of the holidays.

"I think the success of gaining sponsors is probably for two reasons," Lopez said. "One is Oklahoma folks have embraced Downtown in December; we've have good response from customers, if you will.

"The second part is more on civic responsibility that our sponsors see rather than just a marketing opportunity. We like to give them visibility and exposure, but when you have people like we do on our sponsor list, they also see themselves as neighbors and are glad to invest in a project like this."

Take Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy Stores, for instance. The Tuttle-based company has sponsored the hugely popular Braum's Ice Rink for the third consecutive year. Last year, 19,000 people strapped on a pair of skates and glided across the ice.

Braum's leapt at the opportunity to plant its name on the ice rink because Downtown in December is a family-friendly event, said spokeswoman Andi Schwab.

"Braum's is family oriented, it was the perfect marriage between the two," Schwab said. "It's so unique. When the folks from Downtown in December came to us and presented us with we it we thought 'what a great opportunity.'

"Of course, it's nice to have our name out there, I can't lie about that."

The inside walls of the 62-by-150-foot ice rink is a virtual ring of honor with the logos of 34 participating sponsors painted all the way around.

Or consider Devon Energy Corp., which maintains its corporate headquarters in downtown Oklahoma City. As sponsor of the Devon World of Trees and Children's Christmas Village at the SBC Bricktown Ballpark, the company is helping to dress up its own back yard, said John Richels, president.

"Christmas is a special time of year and downtown's role as an activity center is increasingly important for the Oklahoma City area," Richels said. "As a company founded here 33 years ago, Devon embraces opportunities to enhance the quality of life for people who live in the community.

Most of the corporate sponsors are familiar names to longtime Oklahoma City residents, but not all.

U.S. Cellular only launched its wireless telephone business in Oklahoma City last July and immediately signed on as a presenting sponsor for a $45,000 fee.

In fact, the event is listed as "U.S. Cellular Presents Downtown in December" on the official logo.

It's a matter of civic responsibility as well as putting its name before a lot of people, said Jay Ellison, U.S. Cellular's chief operating officer. The company also served as title sponsor for last summer's Downtown Salute's Fourth of July event.

"Supporting exciting city events such as these enables U.S. Cellular to give back to this important community," Ellison said. "U.S. Cellular is proud of its partnership with Downtown OKC."

Lopez emphasized that the event is not presented to make a profit by his organization. All the money raised through corporate sponsorships and what the skaters pay at the Braum's Ice Rink will be plowed into next year's event, he said.

Another venue is in the works for next year and it already has a corporate sponsor. "It will be known as the Bob Howard Snow Slopes," Lopez said. "This will be for those of us who may not have the capabilities to do the Dorothy Hamill bit at the rink. This will be a snow mountain, if you will, of artificial snow, where we will have tubing for children and another (area) for adults."

Almost every Oklahoma community -- big and small -- dresses up its downtown and encourages people to come see the lights throughout the holidays.

Tulsa's counterpart to Downtown OKC is sponsoring a parade Dec. 11. The Durant Main Street program is showing off its newly completed streetscape in a daylong event Saturday. But none has a venue similar to downtown Oklahoma City and its Bricktown entertainment district or the massive corporate backing that enables it to maintain multiple events simultaneously for more than a month.

On the Nov. 26 opening night for Downtown in December, the ice rink was bustling and the lines were long to ride the Kerr-McGee-sponsored Bricktown Water Taxis, which were free on this night and selected nights throughout the holidays.

Opening weekend attendance was up 79 percent at the Braum's Ice Rink and 3,300 people toured the canal on the Bricktown Water Taxis. More than 4,100 people took in the Devon World of Trees, said Downtown OKC's Allison Oshel, including 2,400 Friday night.

The holiday weekend and unusually warm weather may have contributed to the big turnout, but it's an indication of how it's been embraced by the community, Lopez said.

"It's been phenomenal," he said. "I spoke at the Kiwanis Club last week, and two people came up, and they said 'it's going great in December, is there any way you can keep it year round?'"

Luke
12-05-2004, 02:55 PM
I went to Bricktown Friday night and just to let you know how busy it was (keep in mind it was FREEZING cold out) there was a two hour wait at Zio's and we ended up waiting 35 minutes at Bourbon Street CafŽ.

All the Christmas lights are up in Bricktown. It was nice.

I'm excited to see that they already have bigger plans for next year's downtown in december. The snow slope sounds interesting.

I have my own idea for a ski slope in Oklahoma. If you're curious about it, check out www.oresorts.com

It's my wishful thinking web site. Maybe it'll happen someday.

HOT ROD
12-06-2004, 09:44 PM
All I can say is WOW!!!

I HAVE to come to OKC in December, unfortunately it will have to be next year. But WOW!!!

OKC should definitely start promoting itself as a December destination!!!!

Just listen to all of this SYNERGY! and it only took 3 years!!! Phenominal!

CONTINUE THE RENAISSANCE!!!!!!!!! :)

Patrick
12-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Well, we've definitely come along way when it comes to celebrating Christmas in downtown. It used to be, the OG&E Garden Lights were the only thing downtown for Christmas. The Bricktown Association together with Jim Brewer and the Daily Oklahoman got the Bricktown lights started. The first year wasn't too big, but it seems like crowds have picked up every year since. Hopefully some year it will be as big as San Antonio's Riverwalk Holiday lights! The Braums Ice Rink has definitely been a big hit.

It's amazing to see all of the corporate sponsors involved....especially new corporations to the Oklahoma market, like US Cellular and Bass Pro! It's awesome that Bass Pro is one of the main sponsors of the Bricktown lights and US Cellular is basically the main sponsor of the entire Downtown in December.

I've noticed, even Dell has stepped up to the plate...they're sponsoring the Annual Holiday Concert Series at Penn Square Mall.

It's corporate participation like this that will help Oklahoma City move forward.

By the way, Luke, it's good to hear that the Bricktown restaurants were so busy the night you went. The first year Zio's was in Bricktown they struggled, but it seems like they've gathered quite a following since that time!