View Full Version : Things seem to have gone stagnant.

SOONER8693
11-01-2007, 07:33 PM
It seems to me that over the last 6 months, approximately, things have really been at a standstill in OKC. There have been no major announcements that I remember. Does anyone know of any major developments that are forthcoming? Are we(OKC) just in a lull right now? Has OKC peaked in its rennaisance? What does anyone know or think in this regard. Maybe I'm just expecting too much too fast.

bwana_bob
11-01-2007, 08:20 PM
There will be a new McDonald's in Bricktown. What the hell else do you want?

:tiphat:

Nixon7
11-01-2007, 09:12 PM
There will be a new McDonald's in Bricktown. What the hell else do you want?

:tiphat:

LOL

Pete
11-02-2007, 09:03 AM
1) We're digesting tons of new projects that have newly opened or that are nearing completion. And many of them have additional phases that are already in the works.

2) There are a bunch of bigger developments on the drawing boards and those take time: Core-to-Shore, The Triangle, the big mixed-use development proposed for east of the ballpark, Devon Tower, several river projects, etc., etc.

Midtowner
11-02-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't think things are stagnant at all. Downtown, there's been more development this year than we've had combined since the end of MAPS Phase I. I don't think anyone can say that's "slow."

soonerfan21
11-02-2007, 09:23 AM
I think the other Sooner is going to need to add "Rip Van Winkle" to their name! Geez, have you heard anything about all the goings on with the river, boathouses, pre-Olympic events, etc.? I just saw a billboard this a.m. advertising the Centennial parade on the river and I can't wait! Went last year and loved it . . .

metro
11-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Sooner86, I think you're just beginning to see the renaissance. You're probably discontent as I am with the lack of huge breaking news issues, however as Mid somewhat mentioned, phase I's on most projects are just now completing, Phase II's should begin soon as well as other major announcements. Hopefully we'll have an NBA team permanently within 2 years one way or another, the first river boat arrived this week and regular rides will begin in early spring. Downtown in December is just around the corner and will be bigger and better than ever. Downtown is starting to have signs of streetlife after 5pm. Midtown and the Plaza Court district is taking off, Automobile Alley had its first major restaurant open up with two more in the works to open in the next few months. It also recently opened 2 bicycle shops. Midtown and AA will soon tie in nicely and become two cohesive districts with streetlife. Once enough after 5pm streetlife is created, retailers and others will take notice and begin making announcements.

bwana_bob
11-02-2007, 09:59 AM
As the post-MAPS development matures, three things that keep the pace of announcements slower will hold true:

1. Fewer private developments will pre-announce without funding in place thus we won't hear about projects until they are virtually "done" deals - presented to the planning commission and city council for slam dunk votes. When little was established in Bricktown, Midtown, etc., most announcements were what we used to call "Slideware" in the software development business: dreams with pretty graphics set in PowerPoint slides, trial balloons that hoped to attract investors. To wit: see all of the announcements of boutique hotels spanning the canal, combo shopping/office/lofts (The Factory) in the heart of bricktown, SegaGameworks, Planet Hollywood/Hard Rock, the IMAX theater, etc.

2. Large urban development, aka Core to Shore, requires YEARS to acquire contiguous land mass before any land is improved. They city has to compete with private developers for the land and then alter plans accordingly after wins and losses. Some land acquisition will come through legal maneuvers, adding even more time until we can show the final blueprint for Core to Shore, etc.

3. Success breeds a scarcity mentality. While I see plenty of opportunity east and west of the core downtown for land acquisition, most developers are focused on areas that already have thriving development. They want to ride the wave, not make it. This reduces the total project cost, the overall investment risk and time to profitability while increasing the overall yield. There are a limited number of footprints available to these investors and given their risk aversion, you can bet that they won't be overly creative with their land use. If they took a step back, they would see that Banta and his investors are on the verge of being modern day land barons - that is the reward if you are willing to take the risks. Land and opportunity for development are not scarce, but "sure" things are definitely in limited supply. This type of development is like mortar for the bricks but we can continue to prune the tree by voting with our pocketbooks - rewarding local over national, district pioneers over latecomer chains.

Pete
11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I really think the Sonics thing is going to kick off some big projects as well.

I think that relocation may serve as a real pivot point not only from the perception standpoint but also it will force the issue of a new arena which will in turn help make a decision on a new convention center with will likely lead to at least one major convention hotel, which all flows into the Core-to-Shore plan, MAPS III, etc.

I also think that Devon is getting close to announcing firm plans for a new tower, and that would be the most exciting thing of all.

John
11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I also think that Devon is getting close to announcing firm plans for a new tower, and that would be the most exciting thing of all.

Aside from the Sonics, MAPS3, and C2S, Devon building a new tower downtown will create quite a snowball of activity.

glennp
11-02-2007, 02:43 PM
My only concern is OKC has not seen any major corporation development since Dell, I would guess. I think the C2S will help, however, there is a enough here in OKC for major companies to be looking at us now. We have a large increase in entertainment, restaurants, downtown living, outdoor activities, two Major well known University's, plus OCU, OC, UCO, OBU, SNU, do I need to go on. I applaud Mick Cornett on being a leader, however, I feel we focus to much on getting a major league team to okc then drawing big corps. Our downtown buildings are not completely full and if Devon is ever bought out (not saying it will happen) the downtown business district will be a ghost town all over again.

TheImmortal
11-02-2007, 03:01 PM
This is a bit unrelated to the topic since this site is from 2001, but you can view concepts and schematics of fictional new skyscraper designs for downtown OKC which were created by an OU Architecture class. Check it out:
OKC Studio (http://arch.ou.edu/arch/5595kbf01/concepts.html)

Pete
11-02-2007, 09:39 PM
My only concern is OKC has not seen any major corporation development since Dell, I would guess.

But keep in mind that as many jobs come from small- to mid-sized employers as the big boys.

There have been a tremendous amount of high-paying jobs generated by the massive expansion of the health science center and St. Anthony's, for example.

And of course, home-grown companies like Devon, Chesapeake and SandRidge are adding tons of jobs all the time.

I think the model has shifted from luring big corporations from other markets. You just don't see much of that any more.

BG918
11-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Aside from the Sonics, MAPS3, and C2S, Devon building a new tower downtown will create quite a snowball of activity.

A new tower would be HUGE. That and the Sonics indeed coming would really push OKC to a new level. Top that off with a proposal for a new highrise convention hotel and maybe a new condo tower in Midtown...

jbrown84
11-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Well don't forget we are actively pursuing the Piper Aircraft headquarters.

Midtowner
11-05-2007, 09:08 AM
A new tower would be HUGE. That and the Sonics indeed coming would really push OKC to a new level. Top that off with a proposal for a new highrise convention hotel and maybe a new condo tower in Midtown...

This is OKC. Unfortunately, we have come to expect that this highrise hotel will eventually be downgraded to a Red Carpet Inn. Further, any "condo tower" will likely be a quadplex.

BDP
11-05-2007, 02:07 PM
We're waiting for more parking.

Taggart
11-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Don't get me started on the parking situation. There is no parking problem here. Only lazy citizens who either don't know how to park, or don't know how to walk.

Living in a big metro for most of my life has really made me see how spoiled people in OKC are. Parking garages are nice, but then people will complain about ticket validation and paying for parking, etc. The only parking problem OKC has is that Jim Brewer has a monopoly on it. Seriously, the Brewers own most all Bricktown parking. Do you think they'll ever let that change with their stronghold on Bricktown? Hell no. Jim Brewer is the worst thing that ever happened to this city. Talk about someone with no vision whatsoever, and we all seem to support his narrow minded projects.

What Bricktown really needs is a central OKC mall. Who cares how close the others are, a mall is the main anchor in most cities in our situation. Trends show that indoor mini-malls are becoming less popular, but downtown centralized malls are the opposite. They're increasing in popularity.

BDP
11-06-2007, 09:32 AM
I know. I was kidding. :)

I actually think there is a parking problem: there's too much land dedicated to parking. This spreads everything out, reduces synergy and convenience, and, especially in the case of bricktown and downtown, eliminates its competitive advantage as a unique and distinct district in the city. All of this makes it harder for each of the developments to thrive off each other, which slows growth. If there's anything that has tempered the growth of bricktown in terms of adding new and exciting attractions and services, it's the glut of surface parking. People are attracted to the area, because it's about the only place in town where there is some snese of energy and vitality. This is created by people getting out of their cars, walking, interacting, and just enjoying the area. The black top drags it down and tempers these benefits more than anything else.

jbrown84
11-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Well said!

Taggart
11-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I VERY much agree. Short sighted planning and cheapskate planners.