View Full Version : Possible Sonics announcement tomorrow

JWil
11-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry, but that 456-page Sonics thread was getting too long for my taste, so how about a new one?

Anyway, The Oklahoman and a couple of TV stations have reported that Bennett is set to make a "major" announcement on the fate of the Sonics sometime tomorrow (Friday). That's direct from a Sonics PR/Communications guy. Anyway, I'm sure it will be a press conference to announce that relocation papers are going to be filed with the NBA. If that's the case, this whole deal is about to become a straight-up circus, as it was jump to the forefront of things ESPN would talk about.

I think it's funny the city of Seattle and the people up there are finally "mad" and are awake to the possibility that the Sonics are really leaving. They brag about the last-minute deals they were able to do to get the Mariners and Seahawks to stay, but I think this is very different. You have an ownership group which has been obsessed with getting the NBA here for the past few years, a league commissioner who is pissed at Seattle for not playing ball and a great market in OKC that is ready to do whatever it takes to set up a basketball team here. While there are a lot of people worried about the recent ruling in court, I think that just delays the inevitable. Ultimately, the Sonics are coming and it'll be next season.

Anyway, what is y'alls take on this? I know there are still a lot of people who are locked in on the Hornets, but I've moved on to the Sonics big-time. I was a Hornets season-ticket holder for two seasons and loved them here dearly, but I want a secure NBA situation here and I think that will have a better chance of happening with Bennett and not Shinn. Plus, I think the pieces on the Sonics (Durant, Green) have good long-term potential. Plus, I like the green/gold color scheme. I can't wait for 2008!

metro
11-01-2007, 03:17 PM
I too think it is just the announcement of him filing relocation papers "since he's been on record saying that" and most tv stations are stating the Sonics have announced they are filing tomorrow. This will still get drug out in court for awhile, but either way Seattle loses whether they lose, stay, or relocate a few years later.

mecarr
11-01-2007, 03:40 PM
sounds like sonics are gonna stay in seattle for the time being, doesn't it?

dcsooner
11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I am 1000% behind C.B and the Oklahoma owners. I will support the sonics from day 1. We will support them, love them, hate them sometimes, but they will be ours and I for one will be overjoyed when the announcement is made.

Cid
11-01-2007, 07:13 PM
I think this belongs in the Sonics thread.

In what way does the length of the Sonics thread inconvenience you?

solitude
11-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Cid: Your question wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer for myself. Most forums have a cut-off for manageability purposes. The old thread can always be referenced with a link in the first post of a new thread that would allow one to access that thread easily and read the whole long story of this thing if they wish. If one wants to read through the current "Huge News..." thread, they must read through (as of now) 1,016 posts! That's just crazy. Why not start a new thread beginning from where we are TODAY and assume another cut-off at 500 posts or something. Each new thread would begin with a post referencing all past megathreads. The current "Huge News" thread is way too long. A new thread is not a matter of convenience as much as it is manageability for people wanting to be brought up with the latest without having to reach into a thousand post plus thread to begin reading. And in a sense, yes, I guess it is convenience. My question: WHY NOT? If you know the current "active" Sonics megathread, what's it matter? In most forums, a megathread is finally locked at some point with a last post including the link to the new megathread, a "Continue Here" posting. Some forums, for major topics, have a thread title of (example) "****OFFICIAL Sonics Thread #2****" I like that approach much better than a 1,016 post thread, that continues to grow.

Kerry
11-01-2007, 09:33 PM
My only question is what date the Sonics will set for relocation, 2008 or 2010? Or do they even need to pick a date. There is zero doubt in my mind that the Sonics are moving to OKC. I prefer 2008 but 2010 is good also.

The civic leaders in Seattle have done a piss-poor job of funding arenas (and just about everything else) that they simply do not have any money left. They are still paying for a stadium that was torn down 5 years ago (they still owe more than $100 million) and they have a 5-year funding gap on Key Arena. They took out a 20-year loan but only had a 15-year commitment from the primary tenant. How stupid was that? The City of Seattle couldn't build a new arena if their team depended on it. Oh wait, it does and they can't.

The residents of Seattle should sue past and current council members for gross negligence.

HOT ROD
11-01-2007, 10:21 PM
lol Kerry, some very valid points. I'd also argue it is our politicians up here that really has 'done it' to us. They're trying to do it again, with a mega proposal for trasnit and highways, at $48B+ - which would be more like a slush fund for the govt since all of the projects are 'lumped in together.' There's no accountability on this and if it passes on Tuesday, it will be the largest tax initiative in state history. But I digress, Im sure it will be a huge NO - we do need to kick out our stupid politicians (Im voting all incumbents OUT, based mostly on their LATE reaction with regard to the Sonics!!!).

But with regard to the relocation date - in all honesty, the Sonics can file for relocation and put down 2008 or 2010 relocation, pending litigation. The question is not really WHEN to relocate, the question for the NBA is TO Relocate or not.

It doesn't matter if it is two seasons from now or the next, Do You Support The Sonics Relocating to Oklahoma City?

Im sure a majority will vote YES!!

The date, is arbitrary.

Kerry
11-01-2007, 10:42 PM
All of the last-minute deals Seattle put together over the past 12 years finally caught up to them. They spent money like reluctant druken sailors. They didn't want to go to the strip club but once they were there it was party time. Bad deal after bad deal and now they can't even replace a state bridge that is vital to the region. Now Boeing has said they want to build a super plant and Washington State might not be its new home. I wonder if there is anything in Seattle we might want.

Boeing/aerospace | Boeing may junk worldwide assembly for next jet | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/boeingaerospace/2003986894_bair01.html)

HOT ROD
11-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Kerry, I plan to send this story to the OKC officials and the chamber, we need to have Boeing (which is the company I work for by the way) to have OKC be the next assembly center.

What the deal is, we as a company made some assumptions that have not been very well followed which has cost us significantly in the delivery of our new jet, ,the 787. It is a new airframe which instead of aluminum is made from carbon reinforced fibre and other composite materials. We chose to have a global network so that we could minimize the risk of such a large venture and possibly expand the aviation economy and our position as a company in it.

Well, we learned some lessons with this as a company and now are thinking ahead about the single-aisle program, which will be the replacement of the 737 aircraft. Currently, final assembly for this program resides in Renton, WA (the location of Bennett's proposed arena) and we have significantly downsized this location and may be looking to get out from there (which is what the SeaTimes story above alludes to).

With that in consideration, I think it will be a GREAT opportunity for Oklahoma City to step up and grab the 737 replacement. Given OKC's central location and our expressed intent not to have such a global supplier/partner network going forward - and the prominence of the region as an already supplybase for the existing 737 program along with OKC's excellent transportation network - I think with the proper package OKC is a shoe-in.

We need to court Boeing NOW - especially given the recent nod by our corporate offices in Chicago to expand the current OKC facility (which is military). Since OKC is on their minds, we should have OKC contingents going up to Chicago to get the commercial 737 replacement program as well. The Renton facility is all but gone, since it lies on prime waterfront which the company would love to sell and lean off that unnecessary real estate.

The media was correct, Washington is NOT one of the for-runners for the new program, due mostly to the union here as well as our infrastructure problems. It is the perfect opportunity for OKC to grab one more Seattle area icon, which would make any Seattle people who relocate to OKC happy (smug comment i admit).

We all know the benefits of such an acquisition. Jobs, economic stimulation, real growth, and finally something to 'save the face of OKC' and forever improve the city's image. With a major assembly centre, OKC would no longer be the butt of jokes such as 'what's there???' Furthermore, considering the spin-off businesses which follow assembly and the fact that OKC should be able to capture almost all of that as well - it could be a HUGE economic boon for OKC, a significant investment by the city/state would be VERY EASILY substantiated by the huge returns.

It would signal to the world that OKC IS a player and that the city is a desireable location, and certainly would be after such an announcement is made; along with the Piper situation and Northrup Grumman hq. Can you imagine if the city were to attract all three!!!! OKC would be considered the aviation hub of the nation!

OKC's advantages are significant:

No Union/right to work state (HUGE FOR BOEING)
Economic pay scale is lower than in WA (another cost benefit for Boeing)
Skilled existing aviation workforce
Pro-Business local city government
A city that is on the move
Cultural amenities being added (including the NBA/WNBA soon)
Potential relationships that can be fostered with Oklahoma City University, OU, and OSU
Tons of land for a facility at Wiley Post (I hope they DONT build it at WRWA, because I dont want commercial flights negatively impacted)
Wiley Post also has great/wonderful access, given the rail access and the JK OuterLoop Turnpike being nearby. (this is a SIGNIFICANT advantage over Renton/WA)
Central location for OKC, is easily accessible from Chicago (should result in more flights), as well as central to the whole US
The region OKC is in IS already an aviation centre; Ft Worth, Wichita, Tulsa are already major suppliers to Boeing and each have very easy access to OKC (less than 3 hours, same can't be said for Seattle).

Negative
Its a new market (relatively speaking, with relation to large commercial aviation)
No seaport

But if you consider, the two negatives are easily offset 1) OKC might be new to large scale commercial aviation but since OKC has/does have small frame commercial and private aviation (who use composite manufacturing) and since the new 737 airframe will use this technology (like the 787) this mitigates as long as a final assmbly building is constructed

2) is offset because Tulsa has a seaport (*less than 2 hours away) if that becomes a necessity but in all honesty, with OKC's road and airspace access and the fact that the company does not want a global supply base; this significantly mutes the importance of a seaport.

If we need to move this post away from the Sonics thread, I understand - but I would like to know what you all think. I will forward my comments/suggestions to the OKC leadership. I encourage you all to express your desires as well to continue to improve Oklahoma City's economy and image!!!

PUGalicious
11-02-2007, 04:54 AM

In what way does starting a new Sonics thread inconvenience you?

Cid
11-02-2007, 05:50 AM
In what way does starting a new Sonics thread inconvenience you?
I now have to go to two different threads for Sonics info.

PUGalicious
11-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Well, for your "suffering," let me play this little violin...

Nixon7
11-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Anyone know a time for the press conference?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, for your "suffering," let me play this little violin...

Can you play one for me too?

Evidently, snark isn't received well in immigration threads and I've never learned how to participate in them without being a liberal. :doh:

In other news...I can't wait to go to a ballgame downtown!

Misty
11-02-2007, 07:50 AM
I thought our comments were (and always are) hilarious Oh GAWD. I know I cracked myself up and that's all that really matters anyway. It's a good day when you make YOURSELF laugh out loud.

metro
11-02-2007, 08:06 AM
I now have to go to two different threads for Sonics info.

I agree, actually we have to go to four different threads to read the latest Sonics info. HOT ROD created a new one as their is also a thread in the actual Sonics/Hornets forum. It is an inconvenience. :dizzy:

metro
11-02-2007, 08:28 AM
This should put an interesting twist in things, however I'm pretty confident Bennett won't sell unless he's guaranteed a new franchise by Stern:

Local group makes pitch to buy Sonics

Local News | Local group makes pitch to buy Sonics | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2003989300&zsection_id=2003925728&slug=sonics02m&date=20071102)

By Jim Brunner
Seattle Times staff reporter

A former minority owner of the Sonics and Storm says he has put together a local group that wants to buy the teams back from Clay Bennett to keep them in Seattle.

Dennis Daugs, who owns a Seattle investment-management firm, sent a letter to Bennett on Thursday saying he represents the potential buyers, including other former part-owners, who want to return the teams to local ownership and keep them playing at KeyArena.

It is not clear how much cash is behind the effort or whether Bennett — who says the teams aren't for sale — will respond.

In an interview, Daugs would not say who is in the group, or even how many people are involved. But Daugs said the group has the financial wherewithal to pull off a deal if Bennett is willing to sell.

By publicizing the buyers' interest now, Daugs said he wants to fight "the current belief that there are no other options" to keep the teams in Seattle. He cited pessimistic comments from NBA Commissioner David Stern, who told ESPN this week he didn't see "anything keeping [the Sonics] in Seattle" after the team's KeyArena lease expires in 2010.

"We present this as another option if Mr. Bennett at some point would like to sell," Daugs said.

Bennett hasn't changed his mind about selling the teams, a spokesman said, refusing to comment on Daugs' letter.

The deadline Bennett gave local politicians for securing an arena deal passed Wednesday. He is expected today to announce his next steps, which could include asking the NBA for permission to relocate the teams to Oklahoma City.

Other local business leaders also are widely rumored to be interested in buying the teams, but none has stepped forward publicly. Daugs said his group was interested in talking with other prospective buyers to possibly join forces.

Daugs, 45, is managing director of Lakeside Capital Management, a firm that provides investment advice for "high-net-worth individuals and families," according to the company's Web site. He also is on the board of Puget Sound Bank and was an early investor in Homegrocer.com.

Daugs said he alone doesn't have the money to buy the Sonics and Storm. He owned just a small slice of the teams under the former 58-member local ownership group led by Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz.

Daugs invested $500,000 in Schultz's group as part of a partnership with other local businessmen called We Got Game LLC, according to records. The group, which invested a total of $6.5 million, also included real-estate adviser Craig Kinzer and Richard Tait, developer of the board game Cranium.

Schultz's group paid $200 million for the teams in 2001 and sold them last year to Bennett and a group of Oklahoma businessmen for $350 million.

Daugs characterized his new group's interest in buying the team as driven more by civic pride and love of basketball than a desire for financial gain.

"It can be a great investment, it can be a poor investment or something in between, but it is the most fun a lot of people I know have ever had," said Daugs, who grew up in Burien and used to take the bus to Sonics games at Seattle Center as a kid. His group wants to maintain that tradition.

Daugs' letter to Bennett said, "we believe that it is possible to operate these teams from their current KeyArena location and would be interested in exploring ... extending the current lease past the 2010 obligation."

Bennett has said KeyArena is unacceptable even with a major expansion, and has pushed for a new arena elsewhere.

Only one other potential investor in Daugs' group was willing to comment publicly Thursday. H.S. Wright III also was a part-owner of the Sonics during the Schultz years.

Wright, chief executive of Seattle Hospitality Group, said he would consider buying into the Sonics and Storm again if it helped keep the teams in town.

A spokesman for Daugs said he was walking a tricky line by coming forward now, but not revealing any information about his partners.

"This is a group of successful entrepreneurs who do not want to be in the public limelight," said Roger Nyhus. "The reason they wanted to make this public is that the general public has written the teams off, and that's not right."

While the city and Sonics are locked in a federal lawsuit over the KeyArena lease, political leaders in recent weeks have hinted there are efforts under way for a new arena deal and new local owners for the Sonics and Storm.

Seattle Deputy Mayor Tim Ceis, who was notified of Daugs' offer Thursday, said it was a positive step.

"I think he is credible. I think he is serious," Ceis said.

Ceis refused to say whether the mayor's office had been in touch with other prospective local buyers.

"This may be the beginning — the public beginning — of an effort to look at a new local ownership group," he said.

Times news researcher Gene Balk contributed to this report.

Jim Brunner: 206-515-5628 or jbrunner@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/11/01/2003989065.jpg
Sonics owner Clay Bennett chats with NBA Hall of Famer and Seattle-area resident Bill Russell during the team's home opener against Phoenix Thursday night at KeyArena.

metro
11-02-2007, 08:36 AM
And this also. We need to be calling Stern's office and leaving messages in support of OKC!!

Sonics | Mr. Stern, we have your number

By Jayda Evans
Seattle Times staff reporter

"Good morning, Mr. Stern. You have 1,000 messages."

That's what the organizers of Save Our Sonics and Storm hope NBA commissioner David Stern hears when he checks his voice mail today.

Instead of pulling out the bullhorn and picket signs to chant their disapproval of the Sonics' possible move to Oklahoma, the group went stealth.

As the Sonics tipped off their 41st season, about five volunteers circled KeyArena's exterior and concourse handing out the commissioner's number (it's 212-407-8300, by the way), asking people to let Stern know they want to keep the team for another 41 seasons.

The flier encouraged people to "give David Stern a piece of your mind [and] pass this number onto fellow Sonics fans and call frequently!"

Last week the commissioner said at teleconference with national media there was little he could do to help keep the Sonics in Seattle.

"I've called him [Stern] a few times," said Curtis Fanta, 20, who helped hand out the number. "I told him just how disappointed I'd be if they left and how I loved the Sonics since I was really little. The NBA seems to be going downhill."

Some fans didn't want Stern's number, preferring to take "Keep Our Teams Here" placards as they entered the arena. But Fanta said the overall "reaction has been really good. Most are like, 'Yeah, I'm going to call right now.' "

Sonics primary owner Clay Bennett instituted an Oct. 31 deadline to have a definitive proposal in place for a new "world-class arena" when he purchased the team last year from the previous ownership, headed by Starbucks' Howard Schultz. Otherwise, Bennett said he would move the Sonics and Storm to Oklahoma.

But that date passed with no movement, and no statement from Bennett regarding his plans.

"Mr. Bennett wants the focus to be on the team, on the game, on the start of the season and the fans enjoying the game," said spokesman Dan Mahoney, reiterating the same line given all week. "He'll have further comment [today]."

The owner has until March 1 to file for relocation with the NBA and said in September that he has begun the application process. He needs a simple majority vote from the league's 30 team owners and can vote himself.

The likelihood of the Seattle's first pro franchise moving away prompted Paul Hodgson and Joel Feldman to walk the KeyArena concourse with a sign. One sign read, "Trade Bennett." The flip side read, "Noklahoma" with a drawing of that state crossed out.

"I'm surprised they let me in with this," said Hodgson, 30, who has attended the past six Sonics home openers. "Fascist ownership, you can't believe what they would do. I understand the financial problems, but that's all over the league. You've got to keep the team here."

Feldman added: "Professional sports should be a public good. It's part of our community and it shouldn't be something that could just be traded away. The Sonics are part of the soul of this city, and the fact that they are going to try to take this away from us — that's the problem with professional sports."

While many fans grew emotional when asked about losing their team, the crowd was focused on the game — until the crowd started chanting "Save Our Sonics" with 5:23 remaining in the second quarter.

Monica Pillay is trying not to think about her beloved Sonics relocating.

"I'm not looking into that," said the 23-year-old. "I'm going to enjoy the season because it might be the last. I want to make the best of it."

Jayda Evans: 206-464-2067 or jevans@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

PUGalicious
11-02-2007, 08:42 AM
I agree, actually we have to go to four different threads to read the latest Sonics info. HOT ROD created a new one as their is also a thread in the actual Sonics/Hornets forum. It is an inconvenience. :dizzy:
No more inconvenient than having to sift through myriads of news stories reposted on the forum when people can find them on the original news sources...

metro
11-02-2007, 08:54 AM
How so? Having to read one thread with stories from multiple sources is more inconvenient than going to 4 or more different sources? That makes no sense. Probably 90% of the threads in this forum are started due to an article posted from somewhere else, I just happen to be one of the ones who posts them first, either way they usually end up getting posted by betts, HOTROD, or other very active members of this site. I'd much rather go to one source to get multiple stories on a topic than have to go to 5 different places. When someone "summarizes" something in their own words we've often found they leave out very important facts to the story, rather than if you have the actual official article to reference to (and many threads get resurrected from months or years past", then there is official info to refer back to. That's just my two cents and experience from having been on this site for years

PUGalicious
11-02-2007, 09:04 AM
okay, grandpa... let's make it even MORE convenient and post ALL your news articles in ONE thread.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-02-2007, 09:09 AM
okay, grandpa... let's make it even MORE convenient and post ALL your news articles in ONE thread.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/imawingnut/warningsign4.jpg

Midtowner
11-02-2007, 09:13 AM
How so? Having to read one thread with stories from multiple sources is more inconvenient than going to 4 or more different sources? That makes no sense. Probably 90% of the threads in this forum are started due to an article posted from somewhere else, I just happen to be one of the ones who posts them first, either way they usually end up getting posted by betts, HOTROD, or other very active members of this site. I'd much rather go to one source to get multiple stories on a topic than have to go to 5 different places. When someone "summarizes" something in their own words we've often found they leave out very important facts to the story, rather than if you have the actual official article to reference to (and many threads get resurrected from months or years past", then there is official info to refer back to. That's just my two cents and experience from having been on this site for years

Isn't there a specific forum for these things?

It seems a better idea to me to post these things in the appropriate forum, a separate thread for each story. That way, facts and stories don't become buried somewhere in the middle of a 42 page thread.

Intrepid
11-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Color me crazy, but aren't there other things to worry about other than having to read multiple threads for information?

I mean it's not like we're using punch cards and plugging them into a vast machine and waiting 3-4 hours for the information.

It's pointing, clicking and reading. If you've already read the info, move on. Surely it can't take that much time out of one's day.

Midtowner
11-02-2007, 09:16 AM
My click finger is becoming arthritic.

Karried
11-02-2007, 09:44 AM
I need Lasic surgery.

metro
11-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Anyhow, let's discuss the new offer for a local Seattle group to purchase the Sonics as well as Seattlites posting and calling Stern's main office number. We should all be showing them OKC's support of the NBA. Anyone know yet the time of the press conference with Bennett today?

JWil
11-06-2007, 04:03 PM

You're kidding me, right?

Here's my personal take on threads on message boards:

While the Sonics might be the main overall story... there are many winding turns within that subject. I read through that entire Sonics thread once and it spanned months, multiple storylines and evolving debate and chat. How confusing would it be for a person to come to this site for the first time, see that giant thread and try to read it? They'd have to CONSTANTLY frame the time the reference was made and realize it wasn't new right now, even though it's at the top of the thread. I just think it can get amazing confusing.

I LOVE this site, but my biggest beef with it is the insistence that we need to push old threads to the top just because a story from a year ago has an update to it. IMO, at that point, you post a new thread and let the old one fade away. I hate reading some of the longer threads on this site, seeing info, then thinking "wait when was that posted?" and seeing it was back in July or something and it's already invalid. I just wasted time reading that, ya know? That's my point. I've been lucky enough to help friends with BBS websites and I've never been a part of one where old threads continually pop up with new information long spans of time later.

I realize my own post has gone off the rails here, but I was getting tired of the other thread. IT NEEDS TO DIE. lol

ANYWAY...

I'm VERY pleased with the "Sonics to OKC" situation so far. I think things are going in the right direction. Seattle will end up settling for a buyout and that will be that.