View Full Version : OKC Rocks renamed Rocktown

metro
10-31-2007, 07:22 AM
Bricktown’s OKC Rocks renamed Rocktown

The Journal Record
October 31, 2007

OKLAHOMA CITY – A nonprofit youth program and a climbing enthusiast have jointly purchased the OKC Rocks climbing silos in Bricktown near downtown Oklahoma City.

Aaron Gibson, a climber of more than 15 years’ experience, acquired a 15-percent interest in the landmark near Interstate 40 and will be the president and manager of the business. Touchstone Youth Project will hold the other 85-percent interest in the business, agency director Nicole Hunzicker said. Gibson said he has the option of buying a larger stake in the shared venture, but no plans to become sole owner. Gibson would not discuss financial details of the deal other than to say that some personal debt financing was involved.

Gibson has a Web designing business and has organized rock-climbing events, but he said this is his largest professional venture so far.

An official reopening ceremony for the renamed Rocktown Climbing Gym is scheduled for Nov. 10. Gibson has already started renovating the silos with roof repairs, paint and heating. He said some of the silos have been underutilized and will be opened for more gym space and special events. Gibson is considering an external makeover as well.“We’ve got an incredible facility and the potential, for improvement and growth is limitless,” he said.

We are building on something that was started seven years ago and our plan is to take it to the next level. … Our goal is to be the best gym in the country, not just for climbing but for the positive community that we are going to build within the gym.”

OKC Rocks owner Freddy Harth began refurbishing the abandoned grain units a decade ago and slowly transformed the complex into one of the premier climbing centers in the country. Few climbing gyms can match the building’s total wall space and vertical height. A typical gym or commercial climbing wall will top out at about 30 feet; Rocktown’s tallest reaches 90. Harth had installed 36 handhold routes to pick from, ranging in difficulty class ratings from 5.6 to 5.13 under the Yosemite decimal system – a climb above 5.5 requires security rope and usually a belaying partner, with increasing strength, stamina and protection required up to the world’s most difficult ascensions at 5.15.

Gibson has known Harth for several years and said he’ll continue to use him as an advisor. But Harth will not hold position in the new company. The climbing gym will remain open to the public with expanded hours and group event opportunities, even though some space will be set aside for the Touchstone program, the owners said.

Hunzicker founded Touchstone about five years ago with a goal of providing to low-income youths “adventure-based education, mentoring and life skills cultivation.” “It’s a way to learn by doing, and we use rock-climbing,” she said. “We learn about trusting one another and being trustworthy, and about facing fears and trying something that’s difficult and challenging. A lot of the things we deal with and talk about during rock climbing apply in real-life situations.”

The volunteer mentor program has helped more than 60 youths since its inception, Hunzicker said. She said Touchstone has worked with local school districts, but the outreach organizer recently died and school connections will need to be re-evaluated.

http://journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labsrocktown.jpg
Touchtone Youth Project Director Nicole Hunzicker and 15-year rock climbing enthusiast Aaron Gibson plan to celebrate the opening of Rocktown on Nov. 10. Rocktown was formerly known as OKC Rocks. (Photo by Jeremy Scott)

MadMonk
10-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Hmmm. I wonder why the Harth's sold the place?

CuatrodeMayo
10-31-2007, 09:34 AM
I don't care much for the name change. I like OKC Rocks better

metro
10-31-2007, 09:54 AM
I agree Cuatro, I like OKC Rocks MUCH better. Sounds like he's going to take the place to the next level though. Looks like they painted the upper portion as well. Hopefully they can paint over that eyesore Centennial mural. Looks like kids did a water painting on it.

okclee
10-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Gotta say I like the name "okc rocks", much better than bricktown or rocktown.

TheImmortal
11-02-2007, 03:18 PM
It is apparent that the new owner is just going with the "bricktown" or "midtown" mentality of adding a "town" to the end of the name. This would be great and all if this was actually a town. I think it sounds very corny and I definitely like "OKC Rocks" better; people driving buy would subconsciously think that, well, Oklahoma City Rocks!! haha.

OKCCrime
11-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Anyone know how how much the gym was sold for?

OKCCrime

----
Oklahoma City Crime - Crime Maps, Reports and Statistics (http://okccrime.com)

Nixon7
11-03-2007, 11:03 AM
All the little chicks with crimson lips, say OKC ROCKS, OKC ROCKS...ok nevermind that doesnt work...

metro
11-06-2007, 07:48 AM
With a change in owner and name, things are looking up for gym

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer
The Daily Oklahoman

The OKC Rocks sign that has loomed over Bricktown the past several years has been replaced by Rocktown, marking the rock climbing gym's pending sale to a nonprofit that works with underprivileged children
Nicole Hunzicker, president of Touchstone, said she and her husband, Andrew, formed Touchstone in 2002. The former OKC Rocks gym at 200 SE 4 will be the nonprofit's first permanent home.

"We're both into rock climbing,” Nicole Hunzicker said. "We both have a long history doing community service and we really wanted to help youth. And we felt that rock climbing would be a great way to do that.”

Over the past five years, more than 60 children have participated in the program with referrals provided by Oklahoma City Public Schools, Eagle Ridge Institute and Shiloh Summer Camp.

The sale of the gym was expected to close Monday, and the price was not being disclosed by either side. Owner Freddy Harth spent years transforming the former grain silos into rock climbing gyms.

"I wanted to move on, and I have other interests that are already distracting me,” Harth said. "People search this out, and hopefully it will get better.”

While the gym is being bought to be the permanent home for Touchstone, the ownership group, Rocktown LLC., is a for-profit business. The gym will be managed by minority owner Aaron Gibson.

Improvements will include roof repairs, new paint, heating and extensive cleaning. Gibson said a group climbing area, meeting room and more beginner areas will be added in the future.

"The types of changes that we are implementing at Rocktown are going to be impressive,” Gibson said. "We've got an incredible facility and the potential for improvement and growth is limitless.”

The grand reopening will be held Nov. 10, with festivities starting at 10 a.m. Activities will include free prize drawings, food and drink, an inflatable play structure for kids, a DJ and free climbs of up to 80 feet.

Hunzicker anticipates the gym will allow the after-school Touchstone program to grow, with expansions fueled by profits from the business.

"An earned income strategy such as this is an innovative way for nonprofits to raise money,” Hunzicker said. "They don't just ask for it, they earn it through a social enterprise ... the path we've chosen will hopefully allow us to self-fund by 2010.”

Rocktown Climbing Gym in Bricktown is changing hands and will be owned by a nonprofit but run as a for-profit business. The climbing gym used to be known as OKC Rocks. Renovations are in progress. By Steve Lackmeyer, The Oklahoman