View Full Version : California Fires

Karried
10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
ahhh, this is just so sad! It keeps getting worse and worse. I've been watching the news all morning and it doesn't seem like an end is in sight anytime soon.

I feel for those firefighters trying to control these fires in 95 plus degree weather.

The last I heard, 346,000.00 were ordered evacuated in San Diego County alone. Wow.

All those people losing their homes, all the animals that are trapped .. it's just really heartbreaking.

I'm hoping for rain, or something?

Dark Jedi
10-23-2007, 12:00 PM
It's somewhat sad, but I have no sympathy. I lived in Tustin for 4 years, and watched these happen all the time.

There are a couple of areas of California that burn down every other year. It happens very often, yet the people rebuild there, then have the audacity to look surprised when it happens again. And again. And again.

Same with the Laguna valley mudslides. Some people are just too stupid to live.

Karried
10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I understand how people can start feeling unsympathetic when people just keep rebuilding in the same disaster area but this is a really large area of S. California.

It can be said that people shouldn't rebuild in OK because of tornados or Florida because of hurricanes... or anywhere at all because of some natural disaster.

My heart goes out to these people who are losing everything ...even with insurance, it's a horrible feeling I imagine.. all their belongings, photos, memories - it's terrible.

bandnerd
10-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah, but the fires happen every single year, in almost the same places. The chance of a fire starting in CA during the Santa Anna winds is much higher than a chance of a tornado here.

I equate it with building in a floodplain. Duh. Of course something's going to happen. I've lived here for 27 years almost and have never seen a tornado. But I've seen the same places flood over and over again, along the banks of rivers and creeks...and yet people rebuild. Duh.

It's sad, but not shocking or surprising. I do feel bad for the animals, though...they didn't choose to be there!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Wind + fire = Oh GAWD the FIRE!

Last March, my back yard:

http://members.cox.net/nukeim/fark/f7.jpg

It got pretty close before we got it out too:

http://members.cox.net/nukeim/fark/f2.jpg

Taggart
10-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Crap. And I'm going to be there next week.

metro
10-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah, but the fires happen every single year, in almost the same places. The chance of a fire starting in CA during the Santa Anna winds is much higher than a chance of a tornado here.

I equate it with building in a floodplain. Duh. Of course something's going to happen. I've lived here for 27 years almost and have never seen a tornado. But I've seen the same places flood over and over again, along the banks of rivers and creeks...and yet people rebuild. Duh.

It's sad, but not shocking or surprising. I do feel bad for the animals, though...they didn't choose to be there!

I agree with most of what you said bandnerd, except the animals part. It's a difference when disaster hits almost the exact same spot year after year, but as you said. Tornadoes are infrequent in the same place, and often do not hit the metro area. Furthermore, there are plenty of preventative measures one can do for a tornado unlike an earthquake, fire, etc. These disasters are too unpredictable to know when/how/where they will hit. Tornadoes are predicted ahead of time and you don't have to evacuate like fires,hurricanes, tsunami's, etc.

Karried
10-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I do feel bad for the animals, though...they didn't choose to be there!

I agree with most of what you said bandnerd, except the animals part.

Am I reading this right?

You don't feel bad for the animals? What?

Why not?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Am I reading this right?

Why not?

He got nibbled half to death by a rabid okapi back in '88.

Karried
10-24-2007, 09:09 AM
ahh, well that explains everything.

I personally feel very sad for all the displaced people and animals ... there's not a lot of places for animals to go to when their homes are engulfed by flames.

PUGalicious
10-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Am I reading this right?

Why not?
It's the jadedness that results from years on the streets in thread enforcement.

Dark Jedi
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree with most of what you said bandnerd, except the animals part. It's a difference when disaster hits almost the exact same spot year after year, but as you said. Tornadoes are infrequent in the same place, and often do not hit the metro area. Furthermore, there are plenty of preventative measures one can do for a tornado unlike an earthquake, fire, etc. These disasters are too unpredictable to know when/how/where they will hit. Tornadoes are predicted ahead of time and you don't have to evacuate like fires,hurricanes, tsunami's, etc.

Actually, those fires are predictable. The nature of the weather and winds in those canyons means that you will have a fire sweep through there every few years.
No one needs to start it, these are natural wildfires, and have been happening there long before Man came along.

You watch fire ravage a canyon year after year after year... then decide that would be a good place to build a house. And your house burns down. Duh.

bandnerd
10-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Wait, tornadoes are predicted? We get a "chance" of having them, that's not an actual prediction. These fires are yearly events. It's not an if, it's a when.

oneforone
10-24-2007, 09:45 PM
It really suprises me that California has not created a massive irrigation or fire control system that uses the Pacific Ocean as a water source. They could also require fire resistant building materials and require homeowners to stay on top of landscape maintence.

metro
10-25-2007, 07:36 AM
It really suprises me that California has not created a massive irrigation or fire control system that uses the Pacific Ocean as a water source. They could also require fire resistant building materials and require homeowners to stay on top of landscape maintence.

I wonder the same thing about why they don't use the Pacific Ocean. It's not exactly like Southern or anywhere California has an abundant fresh water supply, and in fact, quite the opposite. Get plenty of those planes with hoses that suck water out of lakes and suck up ocean water.

As far as building codes that require fire resistant materials, I've heard them on several news stations saying that many So. Cal cities in the past few years have adopted those measures, however older homes are obviously exempt.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-25-2007, 08:18 AM
When I lived in SoCal, there was virtually NO new construction, all the houses were 30-40 years old. Land is very rare and hard to develop out there due to the laws and costs involved.

And saltwater would likely kill most of the vegetation out there, a lot of which is protected...Not to mention turning all of Southern California into a real desert.

oneforone
10-25-2007, 03:48 PM
When I lived in SoCal, there was virtually NO new construction, all the houses were 30-40 years old. Land is very rare and hard to develop out there due to the laws and costs involved.

And saltwater would likely kill most of the vegetation out there, a lot of which is protected...Not to mention turning all of Southern California into a real desert.

Saltwater can be treated for potable use. Where do you think large cruise ships and military vessels get their potable water from? I am sure it can be done at land based plant. The only reason I think it has never been done is because it costs too much money for legislative or voter approval.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Saltwater can be treated for potable use. Where do you think large cruise ships and military vessels get their potable water from? I am sure it can be done at land based plant. The only reason I think it has never been done is because it costs too much money for legislative or voter approval.

I know a bit about desalinization...Having deployed on several Naval vessels and being subjected to weeks on end in equatorial climates without a shower due to there being no fresh water. The best way to make potable water in large quantities is nuclear power (carriers are the only ships that don't ration potable water in my experience)...And you just try getting Californians to install another nuclear plant. If they do, it better look like a large ass...So as to match the boobage that is the San Onofre nuclear power plant.

All I can figure about cruise ships is that they place a MUCH higher priority on fresh water supplies while underway. But they don't have to carry a bunch of missles, bullets, torpedos, or Marines around, so they've got a bit more room for such luxuries :D

However...You're talking about an area that's probably almost as big as the state of Oklahoma...Those :bright_id "I want to install a sprinkler system in the forest":bright_id commercials are coming to mind right now.

:D