View Full Version : Will would have loved DJ Lafon!

Jen at Airports
10-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Hey you guys - check out our home page (flyokc.com)so you can see a pic of the DJ Lafon that is hanging in the terminal. I'm bummed though - it recently sold to someone (GO JRB Art Gallery!) - and we have to cut short what was already a temporary exhibit. One of my goals in life is to own a DJ Lafon. We also have a Bert Seabourne hanging in the terminal now on temporary loan. Also, beautiful. Thanks, ya'll! jen:artist:

HOT ROD
10-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Jenn, I sent you a private message a while back. :gossip:

Please check it. Thanks.

The Old Downtown Guy
10-21-2007, 10:28 AM
A large permanent exhibit of reproductions of great Oklahoma artist's work at the airport would be an excellent way to greet travelers to Oklahoma City. It's nice to have the occasional display of important work such as the D.J Lafon but considering the environment, security issues etc. a comprehensive selection of reproductions that could be added to over time, supplemented with rotating originals might be good way to showcase achievement by Oklahoma artists to a large audience.

metro
10-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Jen any plans in the works for the airport to have modern or abstract art on display? It would be nice to see some modern art to greet outsiders who may have a "western cowboys and indians" image or preconception of Oklahoma and shock them with some diversity.

Jen at Airports
10-22-2007, 02:31 PM
how do i check private messages?

Jen at Airports
10-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Keep in mind I'm an avid supporter of public art, so I try to lend a voice to that cause when the opportunity presents itself.

So many things compete for space out here (like airplanes) (Ha!) We've yet to identify adequate space for a large exhibit - permanent or rotating. Hopefully, with Phase III yet in the future, we will identify that space and public art will have its day at Will. There was discussion before I came about identifying an art committee. That will probably take place as more opportunities present themselves - so we do offer a mix - and not just one theme or medium (and not just have one person calling the art shots.) Right now, I'm just so grateful to the JRB Gallery. They knew our former maintenance director and that's how we got the Hustis, Lafon and Seabourne paintings.

metro
10-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah, thanks for getting the exhibit, I just wanted to encourage and keep the dialogue going about modern art as well. Good start though!

dalelakin
10-22-2007, 05:06 PM
The tunnel from the terminal to the garage is barren why not use some of that space for a permenant display?

Jen at Airports
10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
i've suggested we use that space. it's being tossed around. i was thinking Geico ads of cavemen...nahhh!!! just kidding! seriously - i have suggested that space. maintenance is concerned that people put their luggage on the moving sidewalk arms and that it might tear the art up. i'll keep beating my (artistic) drum, though. the director definitely cares about this subject.

dalelakin
10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Plexi-glass enclosure would fix that no?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-29-2007, 03:58 AM
i've suggested we use that space. it's being tossed around. i was thinking Geico ads of cavemen...nahhh!!! just kidding! seriously - i have suggested that space. maintenance is concerned that people put their luggage on the moving sidewalk arms and that it might tear the art up. i'll keep beating my (artistic) drum, though. the director definitely cares about this subject.

So only put up really sharp art...The kind that hot chicks make from pieces of steel like in the movies...That way the luggage is the loser that gets torn up. That'll learn those silly people with large luggage!

Plus, it will further my fantasy that there are hot single chicks all over the place that know how to weld and have large farm houses with a big barn to play in.

/just wanted to say "hot chicks" at least once today.