View Full Version : Centennial Blowout

Joeldavidd
10-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Am I the only one who didn't know there is going to be some sort of celebrity heavy blowout at the Ford Center for the centennial? Please tell me I'm not alone.

oneforone
10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh Gee Toby Keith and Hinder singing O-O-O-KLAHOMA! For the love of Mike NOOOOOOO!

fromdust
10-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Am I the only one who didn't know there is going to be some sort of celebrity heavy blowout at the Ford Center for the centennial?

probably.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Maybe Ron Howard will show up.

metro
10-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Yes, it's called the Oklahoma Centennial Spectacular. I think there are a few posts on this board somewhere. Tickets are sold out from what I can tell and are going on Ebay for about $500 a piece. The lineup is pretty cheesey in my opinion.

MsProudSooner
10-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Yes, it's called the Oklahoma Centennial Spectacular. I think there are a few posts on this board somewhere. Tickets are sold out from what I can tell and are going on Ebay for about $500 a piece. The lineup is pretty cheesey in my opinion.

What is the lineup and who should have been in it to avoid being cheesy in your opinion?

CuatrodeMayo
10-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Flaming Lips.

OKCTalker
10-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Maybe Ross the Intern will come and sing showtunes.

PUGalicious
10-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Maybe Ross the Intern will come and sing showtunes.
Now, you're talkin'!

metro
10-19-2007, 02:32 PM
What is the lineup and who should have been in it to avoid being cheesy in your opinion?

Why weren't the Flaming Lips, Hinder and others in it as well. It's pretty much a Country Music lineup which is what we're known for and stereotyped for anyways. Why don't we show outsiders that Oklahoma is diverse and has brought some national and international rock talent such as the said above artists. I guarantee you the Lips are more internationally known than Garth or Carrie Underwear. Heck do Reba and Garth ever claim Oklahoma anymore? At least the Lips do stuff for and in the community and proudly claim OKC as home!

Ford Center Oklahoma City (http://okfordcenter.com/events/Centennial.html)

http://okfordcenter.com/events/EventPhotos/CentennialAD.jpg

CuatrodeMayo
10-19-2007, 02:41 PM
This blowout blows.

You counldn't PAY me $500 to go.

You are exactly right, Metro.

soonerfan21
10-19-2007, 02:48 PM
shoulda been called "Oklahoma Country Centennial" for that line-up. Where is the vision here???

PUGalicious
10-19-2007, 03:59 PM
I generally agree with you, metro, but why the disparaging reference to Carrie Underwood?

dalelakin
10-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Did anyone read the link that Metro posted?
Go to the link and look at the PDF version and The Flaming Lips are listed as a special guest.

oneforone
10-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Why does everything major in this state have to include washouts like Switzer. Hell why don't they just dig up Wiley Post Will Rogers, Jim Thorpe? We could have they guys from Robot Chicken Animate what is left of their corpses.

I can only imagine the celebrations 100 years from now. The Oklahoma Bicentennial Bash staring Barry Switzer cryogenically frozen. He will be thawed, reanimated then he is off to coach the OU Sooners in the 2107 Red River Rivalry.

Ginkasa
10-20-2007, 03:18 AM
I guarantee you the Lips are more internationally known than Garth

You realize that Garth Brooks is the single best-selling artist of all time in America? He's beaten out both The Beatles and Elvis. And considering the turnout for that Ireland concert he did several years ago (I think its the one featured on his Doube Live album), that fame and success isn't restricted to America.

I mean, just sayin'.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-20-2007, 03:53 AM
I was country when it wasn't cool. Peanuts in my Coke and all!

/not really

Karried
10-20-2007, 07:23 AM
I wouldn't have minded going but no way would I pay the scalpers prices.

I've seen Toby and Garth and Vince Gill in concert before and they are wonderful. It's a great lineup but I like all kinds of music .... but it might not be for the hardcore rockers!

I don't like concerts with a lot of headliners though.... when I went to the Memorial Concert .. the problem was since there were so many performers, you only saw them for a very short time.. and they only sang one or two songs at the most.

metro
10-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Did anyone read the link that Metro posted?
Go to the link and look at the PDF version and The Flaming Lips are listed as a special guest.

true, but I think from what I hear it is a quick appearance and not one of their performances. their performance at the zoo a year or two ago drew people from all over the world to OKC. As I mentioned, Reba, Garth and others hardly even claim Oklahoma. The Lips should have been a headliner, they are active in OKC and always promote OKC whenever they can. We need more celebrities like them active and promoting OKC's diversity, not it's stereotypes.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-20-2007, 11:34 AM
true, but I think from what I hear it is a quick appearance and not one of their performances. their performance at the zoo a year or two ago drew people from all over the world to OKC. As I mentioned, Reba, Garth and others hardly even claim Oklahoma. The Lips should have been a headliner, they are active in OKC and always promote OKC whenever they can. We need more celebrities like them active and promoting OKC's diversity, not it's stereotypes.

No kidding.

*COUGH*TobyKeith*COUGH*

Karried
10-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Well, what did we expect? The Centennial Parade song was 'RedNecks'

( I don't know the whole title.. all I heard was the chorus repeating 'rednecks', over and over and over...)

Shake2005
10-20-2007, 01:17 PM

How does Garth not "claim" Oklahoma? He lives in Owasso and does ads for OSU.

jbrown84
10-23-2007, 10:13 AM
And Reba does an introduction over the speakers at the airport.

jbrown84
10-23-2007, 10:21 AM
The should have gotten Kristen Chenowith and Megan Mullally too.

plastigirl
10-23-2007, 04:46 PM
The lineup is looks a little country heavy, but there are actually several diverse acts scheduled for the Spectacular

Rock - The Flaming Lips and The All-American Rejects
Broadway - Kelli O'Hara and Shirley Jones
Opera - Leona Mitchell

Oh, by the way, neither Kristen Chenoweth or Megan Mullally were able to attend due to scheduling constraints.

jbrown84
10-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Well I'm glad they were at least invited.